Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Morane Saulnier Type N of " The Leather Helmets"

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:46

The Association " The Leather Helmets" and "Memorial Flight", which I believe provided documents to ROF developer, working on the project of a Morane Saulnier Type N.

For this they use a station V5 (PC software) to create a 3D digital model.

Here is the result:

This work can be used by you to 777 facilitated the creation of the Morane Saulnier Type N in ROF ?

Sorry if you parry my question stupid but I do not know anything in the computer business.

But I dream to one day fly with this plane in ROF. ;)

MAJ: Je rajoute le lien du site

http://www.lescasque...om/n-projet.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lescasque...om/n-projet.php
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#2 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:49

A beautiful model and a must-see in the skies… early war is my favourite!

#3 neuro

neuro

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:52

That'd be great to have in game…

#4 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:09

I added the site link in first post
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#5 WF2

WF2

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:32

Awesome site and project!

I see they are using SolidWorks for the 3D Modeling. I am using the same in work and doing a 3D Model of my full size J3 Cub that I am building.

If 777 can use SolidWorks files for importing 3D Models into RoF, then that opens up a new window for modeling planes.

Thanks for sharing.

#6 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 February 2012 - 16:45

Aai, 777 needs to release that Software development kit.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#7 WWIFlyingAce

WWIFlyingAce

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:03

very nice

#8 Shutter

Shutter
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:06

Outstanding Work!!!

#9 piecost

piecost

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:28

Good work, heres hoping…

#10 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:53

I see they are using SolidWorks for the 3D Modeling. I am using the same in work and doing a 3D Model of my full size J3 Cub that I am building.

If 777 can use SolidWorks files for importing 3D Models into RoF, then that opens up a new window for modeling planes.

Thanks for sharing.

WF2,
You should make a series of Youtube videos or better yet, get someone to make the videos for you, while you are woking on the plane. That would make a great documentary. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#11 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:57

Pollux,
This is one freaking cool looking machine! :D :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#12 Ginger1964

Ginger1964

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:55

A beautiful model and a must-see in the skies… early war is my favourite!
Wallenberg you know you can't say that!Early stuff is just for no hopers like me. :S!:

#13 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 25 February 2012 - 17:20

One gorgeous plane from RB2/3D missing in ROF. Hope to have the option to preorder soon :)

#14 catchov

catchov

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:05

Legend has it the L (Parasol) was the first kite to be equipped with a machine gun firing through the prop (using deflector plates on the prop aligned with the line of fire) yet when complementary pics are included they are always of the N (Bullet) type with mounted gun ? Or an ungunned L ? Some people are either easily confused or just go along with what is stated on the internet without much thought. How unusual. Anyway, I've never yet seen an authentic pic of a Parasol with forward firing gun.

Somebody show me an authentic pic of a Parasol with a forward firing machine gun and I might believe it ? Surely if it was that much of a game changer there would be numerous pics, if not for morale but for the press.

Until then I believe the Bullet Type N (and not the Parasol Type L) was the first fighter aircraft in history which Garros used successfully to shoot down a number of EA before being forced down over enemy teritory when the deadly secret fell into Tony Fokker's hands and the Eindecker was born …. which incidentally was not a Parasol configuration.

And no quotes from The Aerodrome please Hot Tom. :lol: Their integrity lacks somewhat imo. ;)

#15 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:10

Nice work, but, seems the community only wants 1918 obscure aircraft and streamers.

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:28

The difficulties of getting an already completed model incorporated into a game like ROF are numerous, so don't blame 777 if it doesn't happen.

It's a beautiful model, but who says it sticks to the amount of detail/triangles that ROF requires? Perhaps it's too detailed perhaps not enough. It also hasn't been made with the ROF damage model in mind, which probably involves more than just cutting a model to pieces after it's been made. And then the cockpit would still need to be modeled, it's not yet textures, and it needs to get a flight model.

All in all, if we want a Morane Saulnier Type N in ROF, it might be less work for them to start from scratch.

Nevertheless, it's a gorgeous model.

#17 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:29

Here are the comments of one person working on the project. I can quote:

Franck66: "One thing is sure our CATIA model num is probably too 'detailed' for ROF. For now we have over 1200 pieces with more than 2.5 million triangles and a few parties to refine.

Even where the model is now almost completed we must take full portions because we found a photograph proves that the chosen solution is not good.

it sometimes seems to make aviation archeology, it is interesting and exciting."

Cdt De Rose

#18 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:50

Oh, nice of him to reply to questions about ROF! If 777 ever does consider to add this plane, they would be wise to go to this guy for info, I bet.

#19 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 26 February 2012 - 20:20

The difficulties of getting an already completed model incorporated into a game like ROF are numerous, so don't blame 777 if it doesn't happen.

It's a beautiful model, but who says it sticks to the amount of detail/triangles that ROF requires? Perhaps it's too detailed perhaps not enough. It also hasn't been made with the ROF damage model in mind, which probably involves more than just cutting a model to pieces after it's been made. And then the cockpit would still need to be modeled, it's not yet textures, and it needs to get a flight model.

All in all, if we want a Morane Saulnier Type N in ROF, it might be less work for them to start from scratch.

Nevertheless, it's a gorgeous model.
That's why 777 should release the SDK!!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#20 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:56

2,5 million triangles ? :) Maximum value for single seater in RoF is about 25000 :)

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#21 JG1Baron_J6

JG1Baron_J6

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:35

Awesome. Hope than this plane will at RoF planeset. :S!:

lZOFjj.jpg

RIKzxM.jpg

#22 FVK

FVK

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:13

Here is the result:

So how exactly DOES the pilot load the MG?

#23 Silverback

Silverback

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:55

Simple, 1.insert clip. 2.pull charging handle 3.shoot 30 rounds and repeat.

#24 FVK

FVK

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:08

Just wanted to make sure I had that right…

#25 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:20

Thanks for sharing.

Nice model! Love this plane.

Solidworks is designed for outputting files for CNC, stl etc – generally number of polygons and vertices is not an issue. Absolute fidelity to the shape for tooling is the issue. Game assets (even today) need to be created rather differently. The general rule is that you spend polys on contours, use textures and normal maps for details that aren't seen in silhouette. The hard part of 3d game asset creation isn't so much making the model – it's doing the juggling act between poly count, uv map optimization, acceptable texture map sizes etc.

There is a quote about aircraft design that goes like "aircraft design is doing with 1 pound what any idiot could do with 10" – game assets are very analogous. Not meant to say that these 3d models of the morane n arent wonderful – they are– just saying there might be more than you.realize involved in translating them into viable game assets.

Cheers,

Tony

#26 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:12

Oooh, this is a great reference!

#27 wrong_name_746

wrong_name_746

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:13

Legend has it the L (Parasol) was the first kite to be equipped with a machine gun firing through the prop (using deflector plates on the prop aligned with the line of fire) yet when complementary pics are included they are always of the N (Bullet) type with mounted gun ? Or an ungunned L ? Some people are either easily confused or just go along with what is stated on the internet without much thought. How unusual. Anyway, I've never yet seen an authentic pic of a Parasol with forward firing gun.

Somebody show me an authentic pic of a Parasol with a forward firing machine gun and I might believe it ? Surely if it was that much of a game changer there would be numerous pics, if not for morale but for the press.

Until then I believe the Bullet Type N (and not the Parasol Type L) was the first fighter aircraft in history which Garros used successfully to shoot down a number of EA before being forced down over enemy teritory when the deadly secret fell into Tony Fokker's hands and the Eindecker was born …. which incidentally was not a Parasol configuration.

And no quotes from The Aerodrome please Hot Tom. :lol: Their integrity lacks somewhat imo. ;)

Check "War Planes of the First World War: Fighters Vol.V" by J.M. Bruce. There are photos and detailed descriptions of the Morane L armed with both Hotchkiss and Lewis M.G.s.

#28 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 05 March 2012 - 17:47

I was surprised to see that the wing is twin spar with pretty sturdy ribs.

It looks like the rear spar has a sort of rocker where it attaches to the fuselage, and maybe a swivel for the front spar. That's kind of cool – it looks like the wings don't really warp, they might be changing incidence from the root out.

#29 Lieste

Lieste

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:06

It is very similar to the EIII wing - the spars are as solid and rigid as anything else - only pin-jointed rather than rigidly fixed to the rear attachment. The sections are as solid as anything else of similar thickness ratio, and the wing-warping is by altering the neutral-point of the rear spar's dihedral* Using running vs fixed rigging. It is also although 'heavy' in feel at least as effective and far more drag efficient than ailerons.

The lack of built in cantilevered stiffness of the rear spar, the vulnerability of the system to torsion from high flight loads (high speed) and to battle damage (the whole is supported by two looped cables, the failure of either will collapse the wing) is what removed it from service…

#30 xmald

xmald

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:41

I have a question you might answer. DO you know anything about MOrane N engine control? Was it throttle? Mixture? Both? or just blipping?

#31 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:57

The Morane L Parasol was probably the first plane of South America.It was used by the government against insurgents.If it was armed,than I have no idea,but in one site it appears with a MG.

#32 catchov

catchov

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:52

Check "War Planes of the First World War: Fighters Vol.V" by J.M. Bruce. There are photos and detailed descriptions of the Morane L armed with both Hotchkiss and Lewis M.G.s.

Are you able to scan some pics TallyHo? In particular, a MG set up on the cowling to fire through the prop with "deflector plates" bolted to the prop such as is evident in many pictures of the Type N "Bullet" ?

And you too Lordreidecker if you're able to.

#33 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:05

I've already seen a morane L with gun firing through propeller, but can't find it again…was long time ago.

#34 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:35

Are you able to scan some pics TallyHo? In particular, a MG set up on the cowling to fire through the prop with "deflector plates" bolted to the prop such as is evident in many pictures of the Type N "Bullet" ?

And you too Lordreidecker if you're able to.

You mean this?

#35 catchov

catchov

Posted 28 March 2012 - 23:35

No I mean pics of the Parasol, Lordreidecker, with the same MG configuration as that shown in your pic of the "Bullet".

#36 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:10

What about a mix between the Bullet and the Parasol? :)

It gives the MS type P!

#37 catchov

catchov

Posted 29 March 2012 - 23:07

:shock: Nice try Fifi! :lol:

So nobody can provide a pic of a Parasol Type L with a cowling mounted MG designed to fire through the prop? The prop is protected with deflector plates aligned with the line of fire to deflect any bullets that strike the prop! Reliable syncronising or interrupter gear was not available at the time.

#38 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:45

The only info I found till now:

#39 volatile_void

volatile_void

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:50

Garros' MS L with Hotchkiss MG:
Attached File  ms-l-garros.jpg   106.28KB   637 downloads
Attached File  ms-l-garros-hotchkiss.jpg   134.62KB   638 downloads

Another MS L with Hotchkiss MG:
Attached File  ms-l-hotchkiss.jpg   105.08KB   638 downloads