Photo
- - - - -

BS Skins Remover

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:50

Polish markings, Ukrainian markings, Swiss markings… this freaking community would allow just about anything!!!

Well, for those of you who, like me, are annoyed (and sometimes confused) by the historically inaccurate markings, I made a nice little tool that will automatically delete the 'offending' skins.

More info and download HERE

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:01

Laser already made a great tool/utility for this purpose ( Beta Skin Manager for Rise of Flight (beta03) )- how does yours differ from his in terms of what it can do and how it works?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:25

Laser already made a great tool/utility for this purpose ( Beta Skin Manager for Rise of Flight (beta03) )- how does yours differ from his in terms of what it can do and how it works?
With all respect but Lasers tool is useless, due the change over to .dds files.

I have the same problem but only want to remove all that barbie and clown skins and leave the semi historic in the game, [also the rather good made Swiss, Polish etc].
So please explain us more, I do not want to lose a good made Swedish skin. 8-)

note: could that LASER tool be deleted from the sticky's it is useless to mark this as a sticky!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#4 Dunkers

Dunkers

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:39

I've only ever added the Historical skinpacks. Are you saying that there's fantasy skins in there too?

:cheers:

#5 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:55

There are no fantasy skins, as every author has to add some references while submitting the skin. Simply, the historical skinpacks also contain some post-WW1 skins with markings other than cross or cockade. If you feel that those skins are BS, feel free to use original author's tool to remove them ;)
The post war historical skins are marked "y" in the drop down list of the availble skins in the Hangar.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#6 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:37

I think the disadvantage is that this software will delete automatic and is not using a preview mode like LASER did, so you will never know what skin will be deleted.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#7 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 14:49

OK as no one bothered to go and read the 'more info' link, let me explain a couple of things real quick: Skin Manager is manual, BS Skin Remover is automatic. That's the 'difference', if you want to put it that way. Actually, there's a lot more difference, but from a 'Joe User' point of view the main thing is manual vs. automatic.

The skins manager is what you need if you want to explore skins and delete them one by one manually.
Except that it's much harder to use now that the preview doesn't work any more. It'd need a .dds reader… but OK, the Skin Manager is still the software to use, and that's what I used to make my little utility, which isn't even a 'real' software, it's just a batch script.

What I did was to use the skin manager to locate all the skins with Polish markings and other stuff that *I* would remove (so basically if you use it you're trusting my judgment). Once I had all the filenames of all the 'offending' skins, I made a batch script that automatically deletes them.

So, basically, the difference is that Skin Manager lets you explore your installed skins and decide what to remove or keep, an operation that can take several hours especially now that the preview doesnt work any more. My 'BS Skins Remover' automatically removes all the skins with Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Swiss, Captured markings, and some more (read the download post for more detailed info), taking less than 5 seconds and no user input, as I did all the work for you.

#8 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:11

Some more stuff, for those 2 or 3 who actually read before posting:

@Dutch2: That's the disadvantage alright. The advantage is that it'll be all done in less than 5 seconds and with no user input.
The trade is that you don't do the job yourself but you trust my judgment in doing it.
You *will* know what's being deleted, it's all listed in the original post

@Lucas the problem is not about using or not using some skins. If you want to fly in Polish markings that's your choice. Same for someone who flies in Swiss markings or in captured markings.

The problem is about seeing a plane with 'weird' markings while flying on line.

If im flying on line and im supposed to be re-enacting a WW1 battle, I don't want to see anything but Entente and Central WW1 markings. But at the same time, I do want to see custom skins that come with the Fictional packages, as long as they have proper ww1 markings.

The Skin Manager is still useful, but not as easy to use without preview. Skins descriptions don't always match the actual filenames, adding to the difficulty of using Skin Manager without preview. The Skin Manager is still the tool for the job, and that's what I used to do the job. Basically, I did the job for you. That's all.

What I did was to find what I call "BS Skins" using the game's 'quick mission' for previewing and actually loading a mission and going to 'hangar' when I needed a better look at a skin.

Then I located the filename for that skin which wasn't always easy, and once I had the path and filename I added a line to my batch script, telling it to delete that skin.

Many people install historical skins only, to make sure that no BS markings will ever show up while playing on line. Now they can install the Fictional skins too, then run the BS Remover, and all the planes they'll see on line will always have Entente or Central markings, nothing else.

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:34

Hmm, seems the Barbie and bad made neon skins are not deleted.

#10 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:36

I don't install personal skins, but it looks like this should work for me. Thank you.

P.S. It also removes captured aircraft skins?

P.S.S. The whole system for allowing skins into mods-off mode is a joke.

#11 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:50

Dutch: I'm not judging aesthetics, just removing BS markings. Feel free to make a similar tool to remove skins that you don't like. Maybe someone will find it useful.

To figure out what to do: Download my .exe, open it with 7zip, Winrar or similar, and extract it. It will drop one single file called Patcher.bat. Open it with Notepad or WordPad to see what I did.

To make a similar tool: once you have your custom bat file tested and working, use WinRar to pack it as an .exe (add to archive, then check 'create SFX). In the SFX options set your bat file to run automatically after extraction.

Gav: No problem, yes, and yes.
:S!:

#12 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 January 2012 - 19:44

Dutch: I'm not judging aesthetics, just removing BS markings. Feel free to make a similar tool to remove skins that you don't like. :S!:

Everybody is free to make any software or tool for RoF and I'm not doing any judgement on what is good or bad for others, only for myself. But I think for readers it should be clear; what is the consequence of using this tool, without surfing to other sites and that is now fully discussed here.

:geek:

#13 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 20:13

Hey 'surfing to other sites', I made that tool for my squad mates. Our forums is where it belongs. I posted a link here in case someone was interested.

#14 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 29 January 2012 - 21:25

Well, I am only glad that YOU neuro do not represent the majority of the 'freakin' RoF community this is how you called it. Of course you may have your personal opinion about the skins, anyone can have but you expressed in a very arrogant manner which won't buy you friends, here - I hope. And the RoF community is not 'freakin' but certainly more tolerant than you seem to be which is quite an important virtue btw.

Those are fictional skins in semi-fictional virtual squadrons we fly in, we fly on fictional scenarios on the day-to-day servers, sometimes during historical missions skins are locked.

1PL exists over 10 years and those are our squadron markings. We use them to identify ourselfs eversince Red Baron 3D.

And now you Mr.Joined 17.03.2011 come here and whine that our skins are offending ? Whom are we offending or what exactly are we offending by using our skins ?

Thats interesting, you had also a similar problem with flags in the profiles, recently. You wanted the devs to remove them and now this. Hmmm, you seem to have a problem with nationalities or something, however its your problem then …

If I may suggest you to learn to recognize the planes by its design and shape rather than by its markings, it would be more helpful and smarter for MP anyway since you cannot recognize markings from further distance at any rate.

Do whatever you want neuro but it is really not necessary to start a hate-campaign against our skins only because of your very subjective approach to the use of skins in MP.

I consider your post very offensive and will keep your attitude in my mind.

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#15 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 21:57

I didnt start any hate campaign. All im saying is that if we re-enact WW1 battles we should do that in WW1 markings. Also, markings that aren't clearly and immediately identifiable as Central or Allied are confusing, and some players would prefer not to see them. It's nothing personal against 1PL or any other national squadron. Mine is just a tool for those who prefer to see all planes in Entente or Central makings and nothing else.
If that offends you, that's your problem, not mine.

As for countries: I didn't choose to be born in "my" country, did you?
That's right. No one did. That's why "national pride" is BS.
There's nothing to be proud about casually being born on a piece of land rather than another.
Nationality is just an accident of birth. You should be proud of things you *do*, not on random factors such as nationality. Also, I believe that national states are obsolete and dont serve any purpose beside keeping their own huge bureaucracies going. But that's even more off topics than the rest of this paragraph, so I won't elaborate more.

Back on topics: I can recognize most A/C by shape much earlier than any markings become visible, but im still annoyed when I see skins that don't use the right markings, and if I understand correctly, im not the only one.

Note that I never proposed anything along the lines of removing Polish, Ukrainian, and other non-ww1 skins from protected mode. I said it before and I'll say it again: if you want to fly in Polish markings, or in Papa-new-guiniean markings, for that matter, it's entirely your choice and I'm not interested in trying to force my opinions on to anyone else.

At the same time though, you should recognize that just as you have your right to fly in whatever skins you want, I should have the right to delete whatever skins I want, and to provide a tool for others to do the same, without risking to offend anyone. (are we seriously discussing this? I thought it should be obvious…)

EDIT: fixed a few typos, and added the last 2 paragraphs

EDIT2: oh, and by the way, I never asked 777 to remove country flags. I asked not to be forced to choose one. If I had it my way (unlikely) you would still be able to choose your country when creating a profile. There would be no difference at all from your point of view. Only difference would be that *I* would be able to choose 'no country' (or Lala-land, why not). Again, it's about forcing one's opinions on to others. I said I'd like to create profiles without having to choose a country, but I never said that no one should be allowed to associate a country with his profile.

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 January 2012 - 22:04

Hey, we all look at this sim differently. There are people who only care for 100% historical, for those only the historical skinpacks matter. There are also those who just want to easily identify friends and enemies online, and for those a skin folder without skins with ambiguous markings matter. And there are those who like to identify all of their fellow community members online, and we have each and every skin installed. And then there are others yet.

Each has a place in ROF and there is nothing to do but respect that, since each and every one of them has their own arguments and reasoning.

In the meantime, go here to find an aircraft silhouette recognition training quiz:

hellequins.net/airplane-recognition-quiz.html

;)

#17 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 22:19

Ooohhh I got it.
There was a misunderstanding caused by us trying to communicate while not using our native languages.

I used the term 'offending skins' and Sahaj read it as if I was offended by 1PL's Polish skins. That's simply not the case.

'The offending skins' in that contest doesn't mean "offensive skins".
It's just a way of saying "the skins in question".

No one is offended by those skins
(WTF? is it even possible to be…. uh… well… OK, never mind).

As a matter of fact, I didn't even think that someone could read 'offending' as 'offensive', in that contest.
With hindsight, we can say that it was bound to happen, in an international community that uses English as 'lingua franca'. That'll teach me to think twice before casually using words that can be misinterpreted… except that half the English language can be misinterpreted, especially if it's not your native language and you're reading something written by someone who isn't a native speaker either.

English can be a confusing language. In fact, even native speakers are often confused theor own English language. IMO English is a bad choice for an international language… but no one chose it. It just went that way. It's the language of the empire and we have to know it, just like Vercingetorix had to learn Latin.

Sorry Sahaj I would have worded it differently if I thought about that offending/offensive thing. Anyway, I didn't mean 'offensive'. Just read the post again and mentally replace 'offending skins' with 'the skins in question' to get a more accurate idea of what I was trying to say.

I hope we can forget about this little misunderstanding now that it has been spotted and explained.

#18 neuro

neuro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 22:54

hellequins.net/airplane-recognition-quiz.html

;)

71% on the first try. I expected at least 80…

Better follow pvt. Snafu's example and do my homework

#19 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 29 January 2012 - 23:49

English as a second language much? :oops:

#20 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 January 2012 - 23:55

Heck I've done the test a ton of times and never got further than 99% :)

#21 neuro

neuro

Posted 30 January 2012 - 00:10

…more like 3rd of 4th, but OK you got me, I don't really know what's 'proper' English. As I posted somewhere else (in these same forums) I sucked at school and eventually learned English on the streets, first acting as some kind of 'guide' for foreigners in my home town, then traveling around, and then I knew enough English to watch the original versions of movies and TV shows, and now teh interwebs. Not exactly Oxford, I know.

But anyway, what I meant was something like "them there skins we talkin' about", and *not* "those skins that offended me". Hope that's clear now.

#22 charlo

charlo

Posted 30 January 2012 - 00:24

I think I might find this tool useful in reducing the number of files on my SSD drive . What does the "BS" in the thread title mean? (I don't want to assume incorrectly.)

Charlo
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#23 neuro

neuro

Posted 30 January 2012 - 00:32

"Beautiful Superlative"

#24 neuro

neuro

Posted 31 January 2012 - 00:49

New v.2 deletes a couple of skins that were missed by the first version.
[EDIT: latest version is now v.3]

You can use it anyway, even if you already used v.1. In that case it will delete the planes missed by v.1, then it will find that the other planes were already deleted, and exit without doing anything more.

#25 neuro

neuro

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:22

updated to v.4, more skins added to the delete list (LAF D7s)

#26 chinczyk2

chinczyk2

Posted 16 February 2012 - 20:15

I think you should add rof.exe to your list. It would be good for your health.
Cheers

#27 neuro

neuro

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:11

ADMIN!!!!
A PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!

WHAAAAAAA

#28 Laser

Laser

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:19

Polish markings, Ukrainian markings, Swiss markings… this freaking community would allow just about anything!!!

Well, for those of you who, like me, are annoyed (and sometimes confused) by the historically inaccurate markings, I made a nice little tool that will automatically delete the 'offending' skins.

More info and download HERE

Freaking community?

#29 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:44

I freak regularly, I just keep it private 8-)

#30 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:45

I used to always vote NO on the skins that came up for poll that did not have either the roundel/cockade or the cross, since we are using a game depicting WWI aerial combat and those were the signs that I thought were used by the competing powers.

It was only after I got into the squad flying lark in a big way that I began to see the benefits possible in having the other sigils used by some of the other squads (or nations) in my game (I try to run away when I see the Russian star on ANYTHING now, and the 1Pl chequer is often a sign that there WILL be some of his team mates around trying to bounce you).

I was a pity when Laser's skin manager lost the visual element as I was using that to remove the skins I thought looked out of place in my game (too garish/too confusing/too camoflaged).

I'm happy for the creators of the skins I have removed to use them in their own game, I just don't see the need for those skins to be in MY game, so I can understand where neuro is coming from in this thread, but I'd rather the .dds/.jpg changeover thing could be accounted for in Laser's manager so I could get back to selecting the unwanted skins myself, it was way faster than opening up the skin viewer and trawling through hundreds of skins and noting down those I wanted to get rid of and then finding them individually.

#31 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 18 February 2012 - 20:29

…more like 3rd of 4th, but OK you got me, I don't really know what's 'proper' English. As I posted somewhere else (in these same forums) I sucked at school and eventually learned English on the streets, first acting as some kind of 'guide' for foreigners in my home town, then traveling around, and then I knew enough English to watch the original versions of movies and TV shows, and now teh interwebs. Not exactly Oxford, I know.

But anyway, what I meant was something like "them there skins we talkin' about", and *not* "those skins that offended me". Hope that's clear now.

actually, you're right. it can be used that way. the other guy probably shouldn't ridicule people's english when he has an insufficient grasp of it himself.

#32 neuro

neuro

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:42

[..] I'd rather the .dds/.jpg changeover thing could be accounted for in Laser's manager so I could get back to selecting the unwanted skins myself

Here's how to restore previews in Skin Manager.

It's basically about dropping the .jpg's back into the game (they were deleted by the jpg to dds tool). This won't affect in-game previews. The Jpg's were removed because the developers thought (rightly) that they would take up space for no use… but they forgot to take Skin Manager users into account. It could have been done by asking the user whether or not he used Skin Manager and then delete or not depending on the answer… but it's a 3rd party tool after all, and the game itself doesnt need those jpg's any more, so I understand why they have been removed.

What my 'tool' does is to restore the deleted jpg's, which means that at this time *most* of the previews will be restored, but not all of them. The latest skins never came with a jpg preview file, so there's no preview for those even after restoring the old jpg's. I'm planning to make my own jpg previews for the latest skins and add them to the package… but I don't know when I'll do that

[…] opening up the skin viewer and trawling through hundreds of skins and noting down those I wanted to get rid of and then finding them individually.
That's why I made that BS Skins Removal Tool in the first place. I did the work for those who don't want to do it themselves (provided that they trust my judgment about what's to be considered a 'BS' skin)

#33 Laser

Laser

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:09

Latest version of the Skin Manager (now) knows how to display the DDS based skin previews, so there's no need to re-make jpg preview packs.

#34 neuro

neuro

Posted 21 February 2012 - 16:40

Great.
I'm downloading the latest version right away, and thanks for that.

BTW, my autoremoval tool has been updated a bunch of times already. You can run the new version anyway, it doesnt make any difference if you have already used the old one or not. The latest version will delete all the listed skins that it can find. If some of those were already deleted, the tool will skip to the next one.

#35 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 21 February 2012 - 20:47

Just grabbed this too Laser, thanks for the update.

#36 neuro

neuro

Posted 24 March 2012 - 13:58

Updated for 1024
New version also removes a few 'eyesore' skins (I've been more than tolerant, but there's a limit to everything)

#37 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 24 March 2012 - 16:01

Attached File  sr.JPG   95.87KB   173 downloads
Attached File  sr1.JPG   26.29KB   173 downloads

I can't get this to work…..

#38 Laser

Laser

Posted 24 March 2012 - 16:19

Wrong thread, Wolf. What are you trying to do? Which version are you using?
Support for archive opening is currently not working, in the latest version of Skin Manager (v1.0 beta 4). Other than that, set folder path to main RoF installation folder, not any of its subfolders.

#39 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:27

Wrong thread, Wolf. What are you trying to do? Which version are you using?
Support for archive opening is currently not working, in the latest version of Skin Manager (v1.0 beta 4). Other than that, set folder path to main RoF installation folder, not any of its subfolders.
Thanks! was trying to access subfolder…

#40 neuro

neuro

Posted 25 March 2012 - 00:51

Actually, I have something to report about the Skin Manager too, but I couldnt find the right thread.
As we're discussing it here anyway, I could as well add that some previews are wrong.
Starting with P12 and a bit at random after that, sometimes the wrong plane is displayed. Dunno if that's a Skin Manager bug, or wrongly named skins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users