Photo
- - - - -

Will Your System Run Rise of Flight?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#81 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:44

Yep. A rig's gotta know its limitations Callahan.
Okay, thx so much, now I know what I gotta buy next ;)

#82 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 23:20

Er…
friends, read:
If I want to stage up the graphic settings, and I cant to em so high, I got to buy more main memory (ram), I got 2GB and I got to have more than 4, haven`t I?

Thx again,
Callahan

Not necessarily Callahan…why don't you post your specs and let me take a stab at the problem?

For the record, main RAM allows your program to run more smoothly because it reduces the amount of times your processor "fetches" code from the hard drive ( if that is where your ROF.exe is installed ). Using a Solid State Drive, for instance, will help to alleviate those delays during "fetches", even on a system with less RAM ( theoretically ). More RAM overall is the natural thing to add, but not necessarily the only thing you can do to speed things up.

As far as I can tell, Rise of Flight is limited in two ways:

1) First ( and most importantly ), Rise of Flight is built on an older game "engine" using DirectX 9.0c and is more "CPU-bound" than "GPU-bound". Essentially what that means is, the stronger your CPU ( Central Processing Unit or "main processor" ) is, the easier ROF will run, even on a rig with a fair-to-middling graphics card.

2) Because of the way ROF was designed, it appears to make heavy usage of GPU VRAM ( Graphics Processing Unit Video Random Access Memory ), so having a card with at least 1gb of VRAM will do wonders for your settings "ceiling". Getting a card with 2gb at this point in time is much more preferable than even 1gb, mainly because of Post Effects and other little "goodies" that have been introduced during incremental upgrades since ROF was released in 2009.

To put it simply, and using a point of reference that you may understand better:

If my understanding is correct, Rise of Flight should technically operate better with an i7-2600K and a 2gb GTX 550ti or GTX 460 than a 5-6 year old Intel Q6600 and a freshly new GTX 680 IMO. The reason? Brute processing power and its ability to feed the graphics card at a rate that it can process and deliver the video to your monitor rapidly.

Computers are like automobile engines…how you put together components can have either a positive or negative impact on how a certain application will perform at a given time. Sometimes just adding one thing may be enough, other times it might not address the real problem.

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#83 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:28

Thx navair, I`ll post that specs soon, and than you can see what happened :D
THank you again!
Callahan

#84 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:41

Well this is all I know…

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
2gb (RAM)
Windows 7 64-bit

Enough information?
Callahan

#85 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:13

You need more ram.

#86 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:55

You need more ram.
Yea, I do need!

#87 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 22 July 2012 - 13:10

What kind of gpu do you have?

#88 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 22 July 2012 - 14:04

What kind of gpu do you have?
How to look for that? :oops:

#89 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 22 July 2012 - 14:57

Type dxdiag in the field at the bottom of the Startmenu. Then you should get informations about your PC.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#90 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:25

Type dxdiag in the field at the bottom of the Startmenu. Then you should get informations about your PC.
no… no information bout this :|

#91 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:27

If you don't know, then you probably have a crappy integrated chipset. My guess is that your PSU will be underspec for a good gpu, too.

Plan on spending $400 American dollars to get your machine up to speed for Rise of Flight.

#92 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:30

If you don't know, then you probably have a crappy integrated chipset. My guess is that your PSU will be underspec for a good gpu, too.

Plan on spending $400 American dollars to get your machine up to speed for Rise of Flight.
:?

yes, thx, I`ll have a little closer look for RAM and all the other stuff!
Thank you! :)

#93 AB1_CamelJock

AB1_CamelJock

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:16

If you need to check what video you have, an easy to use and understand utility exists for this called GpuZ, grab it here: http://www.techpower...U-Z_v0.6.3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.techpower...om/downloads/21 … 0.6.3.html

#94 wrong_name_518

wrong_name_518

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:45

My cards eat this game for breakfast,lunch,dinner and tea.i have all graphic settings on max and i do mean maximum and i still get over 150fps with vsync off.

#95 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:57

Well this is all I know…

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
2gb (RAM)
Windows 7 64-bit

Enough information?
Callahan

Callahan,

Go find a program named "PC Wizard", install it and run it…let me know what your components are. In the meantime, more RAM would be a wise move. ;)

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#96 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 17:03

Well this is all I know…

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
2gb (RAM)
Windows 7 64-bit

Enough information?
Callahan

Callahan,

Go find a program named "PC Wizard", install it and run it…let me know what your components are. In the meantime, more RAM would be a wise move. ;)
ATI Radeon HD 4350
This is my graphics - card :mrgreen:

#97 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 22:48

ATI Radeon HD 4350
This is my graphics - card :mrgreen:

Ouch.

#98 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 23:12

That is one seriously underpowered card sir.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#99 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:13

Dammit! :evil:

#100 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:17

Oh Lord,
You all got to know that RoF isn`t fun anymore to me because that horrible graphic settings.
:(

Yea,
it will take time until I will get RAM or the card and so on.
You all don`t know how angry I`m bout this. Perhaps I can play the game on the computer of my friends? Let`s see.

Wish me the best of luck until then,
Callahan

#101 catchov

catchov

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:29

Just calm down Callahan. I was once like you are now and I know that it's not easy to be calm when you've found something going on. But take your time, think a lot, Why, think of everything you've got. For you will still be here tomorrow but your dreams may not. Find a girl, settle down, if you want you can marry. Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy. :)

#102 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:52

Just calm down Callahan. I was once like you are now and I know that it's not easy to be calm when you've found something going on. But take your time, think a lot, Why, think of everything you've got. For you will still be here tomorrow but your dreams may not. Find a girl, settle down, if you want you can marry. Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy. :)
:lol: Yes, thx catchov,
but I hope you all understand me anyway.
It will take time, but anyway… ;)

#103 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:47

Have a look on this list [Sorry, the links are all in German]
Wich is the one I shall buy?
1. Computer No1 799€
2.Computer No2 699€
3. Computer No3 539€
4. Computer No3 666€

Please help,
Thank you,
Callahan

#104 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:35

The one for 666 Euros is by far the best as it has an excellent CPU and an alright graphics card, all the other computers fail in one way or another… But I would find out what kind of Intel Core 2 Quad CPU you specifically have.

While those processors are getting a little long in the tooth especially with simulation type games, you may have be able to add some RAM and a better GPU than those listed on amazon for cheaper and over-all better performance.

If you don't want to be frugal and do the best build you can, the 2600K on amazon was good but the Nvidia 550ti is getting old now, a newer GPU would be a better pairing with a the fast 2600k processor.

My advice would be to step back a little bit with the processor with something like a Sandy Bridge 2500K or the Ivy Bridge 3570K and put some of that money saved by not getting a 2600K on a GPU that is a little bit newer and better matches the extremely fast sandy and ivy K chips.

Though if you can not do this or find a computer package with specifications more like this, the 666 Euro one would run ROF pretty well.

#105 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:58

The one for 666 Euros is by far the best as it has an excellent CPU and an alright graphics card, all the other computers fail in one way or another… But I would find out what kind of Intel Core 2 Quad CPU you specifically have.

While those processors are getting a little long in the tooth especially with simulation type games, you may have be able to add some RAM and a better GPU than those listed on amazon for cheaper and over-all better performance.

If you don't want to be frugal and do the best build you can, the 2600K on amazon was good but the Nvidia 550ti is getting old now, a newer GPU would be a better pairing with a the fast 2600k processor.

My advice would be to step back a little bit with the processor with something like a Sandy Bridge 2500K or the Ivy Bridge 3570K and put some of that money saved by not getting a 2600K on a GPU that is a little bit newer and better matches the extremely fast sandy and ivy K chips.

Though if you can not do this or find a computer package with specifications more like this, the 666 Euro one would run ROF pretty well.

Thank you Scott,
and what`s with that one? THIS!!!
It seems to be the best for me… Well Im not an expert, what`s wrong bout this one?

Regards,
Callahan

#106 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:04

+1

#107 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:35

and what`s with that one? THIS!!! It seems to be the best for me… Well Im not an expert, what`s wrong bout this one?

Way overpriced for an AMD machine. :xx:

#108 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:32

Thank you Scott,
and what`s with that one? THIS!!!
It seems to be the best for me… Well Im not an expert, what`s wrong bout this one?

Regards,
Callahan
No I would never get a 1Gb Video card and about the Intel 2600k if your are not a overclocker then you can get the CPU without the k. Used the saved euro's to a better Vcard.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#109 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:57

As Gavagai has stated, you are paying more money for a subpar processor, AMD chips can't compete with Intel's Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips at the moment, so avoid looking at computer builds with the AMD FX line and thinking they look like a good setup, looks can be deceiving.

Dutch is right about the GPU on that AMD one too, 1GB of vram is not enough for ROF and max or close to max video settings. There are many people still playing with 1GB VRAM GPU's and they can work alright but anyone buying a graphics card with 1GB of VRAM these days for ROF is making a huge error. He is also correct that if you do not think you are going to be overclocking at all you can cut the processor back to a 2500 or 2400 non K model and dump a little more into the GPU or whatever.

It would be best to figure out what your spending limits are and go from there, for the whole system.

#110 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:40

Did do some checkings here, they even have a E7700 dualcore :lol:
Get a pc that does have:

CPU: quad core avoid a dual core CPU, keep in your mind Rof does not take any benefit from a 6 or 8 core CPU, but the AMD FX serie can run RoF without any problems.

Vcard:
AMD old: 6870-2Gb and higher
AMD new: 7850-2Gb and higher
nVidia: GTX560 and higher avoid those 610/630 series
and get 2Gb Vram and more!!!

mobo: should have sata3 and USB3.

Now it is your work to select.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#111 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:21

Aha, but the graphics-card and RAM in the "666-Computer" are good?

#112 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:39

No and Yes, I would never get that medium spec GTX550 Vcard but go for the GTX560 or the new GTX660 etc read my post please.
There is a system that uses the GTX560-2Gb Vcard and even some HD6870-2Gb/HD7850-2Gb Vcard.
Yeh they have the AMD CPU, but believe me they can run RoF without any problem, you have to scroll trough all those pages on amazone.de [select 500 to 700 euro's]
:mrgreen:

#113 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:49

Hi, folks. I wonder if anyone could help me to solve some doubts.

I got back playing ROF since a few months ago. I purchased it in 2010 but it wasn't playable at the time, at least for my taste; maybe because I had XP, maybe because the drivers of my new HD 6870 weren't developed or maybe because ROF was in a breakthrough point.

Well, now I have Windows 7 64 bits and 16GB of RAM and ROF plays like butter with my 6870, although I have to cope with low settings. This is not the end of the world, because the planes looks awesome, no trimming no nothing. And the landscape looks good too. So, kudos for ROF!

But my doubts are: what differences will I get if I update the VGA to a HD 7870? I am considering the purchase so I can play with higher settings. But I wonder if the drives are ok and if the improvement will be noticeable. I don't want to jump right to a HD 7950 because I do work with the rig and I don't want a monster VGA monopolizing the case. The cost benefit play a role too, since I can play fine with my 6870. I was even considering a GTX 660Ti, but looks like the smaller memory band can make a difference for worse in higher samplings and AA.

So, do you guys think that a HD 7870 will do the job with honors? Will my Phenom II 1090T bottleneck it?

Cheers,
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#114 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 23 October 2012 - 13:11

Your CPU is not going to bottleneck on RoF with normal gameplay. As for your gpu, you are right on the cusp of a worthwhile upgrade to a 7870: http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/gam … 107-7.html

What kind of low settings are you "coping" with now? I have an i5 2500k and a factory overclocked 6870. I play with these settings:

Attached File  settings.png   171.2KB   230 downloads

#115 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 23 October 2012 - 20:20

Thanks, Gavagai. That's what I thought. I might go for the 7870, especially because the prices are dropping fast after the GTX 660Ti was launched.

And here are my settings.

I change here and there, but nothing that affects much the atmosphere or the playability. And I think that I am using basic settings at Catalyst.

Cheers, mate.

#116 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:38

If your PSU can handle it and if your HD6870 does have 2Gb why not going for a second HD6870-2Gb and run RoF on CrossfireX, this is cheaper and you running RoF on a higher level then a HD7890. Seems some guys do run CrossfireX on RoF very succesfull.

#117 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:29

I think that is questionable advice. Two video cards is a crap shoot, and he might not have the psu for it.

#118 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 24 October 2012 - 23:11

Yeah, I have thought of a crossfire, but Gavagai is correct, especially for ROF if nothing changed. There is also the heat issue, because although the newest cards are much better, they have similar TDP, while in crossfire it will double the heat and consumption. I am not looking up to deal with the issues of a gaming rig right now.

But maybe I will wait to get a GTX 670. I was playing with your settings Gavagai and I can get the same setup. It plays ok with my missions of 15, 20 planes. What really halts my playability is the anti-aliasing mode in my AMD engine control center. In "Quality" the game isn't playable anymore, even with low settings. If I set in the middle I will have an average quality in general, like I said before. So I imagine that anti-aliasing in "quality" means super stressing the GPU. Then, I am afraid to get a 7870 and be ok, but in the threshold of stuttering.

Maybe it is better to wait a couple of months and kill it then with a GTX 670. And it is quite enjoyable right now, so I would not have problems in waiting. I would update the GPU just to be perfectionist. Would that be safer guys or I am underestimating the 7870? I thought of the 7950, but then I would prefer the GTX 670.

Cheers,

#119 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:11

I thought "quality" was a texture filter setting? Please show us your catalyst settngs, too.

#120 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:48

The last one – anti-aliasing mode all the way to "quality" – seems to be the culprit for me. The other settings do not change much the playability. The last though, all the way to the right, make it looks very smooth graphically but very unplayable too. I might be wrong, but I think this is it.

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users