- - - - -

Will Your System Run Rise of Flight?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:38

I'm posting this as a "helper" to assist people in getting a rough idea what it takes to run Rise of Flight on older hardware. I'm sure this subject has been dealt with before, but I felt a "fresh" post and thread with reference to newer technology would be helpful.

Anyone with hardware experience and knowhow, please feel free to add your two, five or even ten cents. :icon_e_salute:

Minimum requirements:

There is a minimum spec, it's just not on the website unfortunately. On my copy of Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition, the minimum specs are:

Windows XP / Vista: Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz
GeForce 8800GT / Radeon HD 3500 <—- WHAT is a "Radeon HD 3500?" I think someone meant HD 3850.

Windows 7: Intel Core2 Quad 2.6 Ghz
Same graphics.

System specs on the site are recommended specs, so there are degrees of "minimum" that will work fine the way I see it. Persons with older hardware will just have to reduce graphic settings until their machine performs within reasonable parameters.

Carrying over to new technology, IMO *any* quad core whether AMD or Intel will run ROF, plus any of these graphics cards with a combination of medium and lower settings:

AMD / ATI: HD 4700 series and above, HD 5600 series and above, HD 6600 series and above, HD 7750 and above, HD 8570 ( OEM, GDDR5 only ) and above, R7 250 and above, R7 340 and above.

Nvidia: 7900 series may run it with reduced settings, unable to verify…8800GT and above, 9800GT and above, GT240 ( DDR5 ) MAY run it with reduced settings, GTS 250 and above, GT 440 ( DDR5 ) MAY run with reduced settings, GTS 450 and above, GT 545 and above, GT 640 ( GDDR5 ) and above, GTX 740 ( GDDR5 ) and above.

All of these recommendations are theoretically able to run ROF based on data throughput in Gb/sec, VRAM and the simple fact that each succeeding generation's "borderline" cards perform slightly better IMO than the last.

Simply put, there is a "line" at which the demands of ROF exceed the capability of the lowest-priced and performing cards…using the minimum spec card listed ( 8800GT / HD 3500 ), I looked at all the performance characteristics including pixel fill rate, texture fill rate and memory throughput in Gb/sec and estimated the class of cards that might meet those performance criteria. My estimates also look "harder" at Nvidia-based cards, as that is where most of my experience is.

This is however my own opinion and results may vary, gents. "When in doubt, throw it out…and buy something more powerful." " Moar Horsepowah " - both Anonymous

Regards. :icon_e_salute:

*EDIT* This post was originally found here: WTF!

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#2 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 16:59

Dual Core processors:

For those wondering if their machines may be capable of playing ROF with their particular dual core processor, all is not lost. Using the minimum recommendation off the back of the Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition and referencing benchmarks on sites such as CPU World, http://www.cpu-world.com/, and Passmark, http://www.passmark.com/, I have arrived at a rough estimate of the processing power needed to play ROF within acceptable parameters.

Back of box, Minimum = "Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 ghz", Recommended = "Intel Core2 Quad 2.6ghz or Intel Core i7 2.6ghz"

Here are the dual cores that should work with no trouble IMO:

Intel:

Socket LGA 775: E4600 and above, E6300 and above, E7200 and above, E8190 and above.

Socket 1366: All

Socket 1156: All

Socket 1155: All

Socket 2011: All

Socket 1150: All

Socket 1151: All

Brands: Core2 Duo, Core2 Quad, Core i3 and above ( i5, i7 )

AMD:

Socket 939: FX-60 and above in FX series POSSIBLE.

Socket AM2: Processor series 4200+ and above.

Socket AM2+: All

Socket AM3: All

Socket AM3+: All

Brands: Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2, Athlon II X2, Phenom II X2 and above ( X3, X4, X6 ), FX

* Note: These are desktop processors and not necessarily related to "mobile" laptop or notebook processors. I have not researched data throughput on other platforms and have no idea which mobile CPU's would be powerful enough to run ROF. As a rule of "thumb", mobile computers have a tendency because of power saving features and smaller component size to have a reduced capability when running ROF.

My experience is with desktops, not laptops or other mobile devices.

* Disclaimer * I do not represent 777 Studios, neoqb or its affiliates, developers or marketing past or present. These entities are not to be held accountable for any facts, figures or theoretical statements that might be made by me.

What you are getting in this thread is an OPINION based on observed benchmarks and a comparison of hardware that MAY be able to operate under the demands of Rise of Flight. Findings above may be changed / updated without notice, if and when performance characteristics and research on said components are refined and / or re-evaluated.

Good luck.

icon_e_salute.gif

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#3 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 17:11

Single core processors:

It is my somewhat educated conclusion that there are NO single core CPU's with enough processing power to meet the demands of Rise of Flight, no matter which operating system is used….there simply isn't enough ability in any of the designs with respect to data throughput THAT I KNOW OF.

Conclusion: If you have a single core processor from Intel socket 478, 775 or AMD sockets 754, 939, AM2, or AM2+…please don't bother asking…they won't work with ROF as far as I can see.

This includes brands such as Pentium, Celeron, Xeon, Opteron, Sempron, Turion, ( Exxon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Boron, Teladi…nvm ) and others I may not have covered. :P

* Edit *

I've decided to rename this thread from "My Opinion of minimum requirements for running Rise of Flight" to the current header in the thread. Please take note.

#4 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 21:05

Power Supplies:

Your system's power supply is the foundation for every other component being able to function cleanly and efficiently. Often times the lack or instability of ONE voltage is all it takes to make your system fluctuate or crash constantly, freeze or refuse to boot up.

Most people tend to overlook this and focus instead on driver instabilities, monitor problems and even cooling or CPU-related "hiccups". While these factors are indeed valid and more often than not the TRUE culprits, the PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) is your best friend and should be checked or even replaced about once every 3-5 years or so.

The operation of electrical and electronic devices and their reaction to long-term effects like heat generation being what they are, internal components like FETs, capacitors and regulators have a finite lifespan and tend to fail after long periods or under especially punishing conditions such as multiple GPU usage, added hard drives and other accessories…and for those living in high temperate areas, excessive ambient heat is your ENEMY.

Most of these factors by themselves don't necessarily act to shorten the lifespan of your PSU, but over time and combining them all together can add up to some very inopportune or sudden failures that can down your system and ruin your enjoyment of things like…Rise of Flight. :P

So, with all that in mind, get familiar with the limitations of your system's PSU and such things as estimating power loads before adding on components, upgrading your CPU or graphics card(s), and even adding sticks of memory. Every little watt contributes to your PSU's "load factor" and should be at least roughly accounted for before proceeding.

For those of you who are not "Do It Yourselfers" such as me, it's probably best to pay someone else to take all this into account FOR you. Pre-built systems often have a fair bit of built-in upgradeability, but the general rule is the cheaper the PC, the less possibility exists for its PSU to be able to handle things like future upgrades.

Which brings me to my next post. ;)

#5 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 21:33

Upgrading your old and lumbering system to be able to play Rise of Flight:

Racefans, this is where the ailerons meet the slipstream. :lol:

There's nothing like the absolute frustration involved when one spots a particularly attractive application or game…* mumbles something about HATING the term, "app" * and not knowing whether or not your system will "take the beating" because you may have a dinosaur on your hands. :roll:

Not to worry, it's really not the end of the world.

First, there are important things to take into account before you upgrade, such as overall budget, economic feasibility ( can I afford to do this, what options do I have should I elect NOT to replace my entire system?, etc. ) and what the application requires in the way of hardware to be able to run it well.

Secondly ( and most importantly ), Do ya really wanna do it…well, do ya?? * Shamelessly quotes a line from the movie, "Lethal Weapon" * :x

Upgrading need not be such a chore, if done correctly and one has a basic mechanical aptitude. Looking in forums such as [HardOCP], Nvidia GeForce forums under PC Components, Tom's Hardware and many others for pointers and suggestions as to your specific needs and desires, or just hit up one of us under this section labeled " Hardware and Controllers".

Dovetailing my last post in with this one, upgrading a system's graphics card with a newer, more capable one OFTEN requires an upgrade to a more powerful PSU. Remember, not all systems are built with much in the way of "upgrade headroom", so pay attention out there!

Also, for those running much older systems…upgrading say, a graphics card may require a completely new motherboard and thereby new memory, processor and PSU. It can get UGLY on the wallet to say the least…BE PREPARED to shell out precious dough for your hobby! Don't give up teh ship! Full speed ahead!…Damn the torpedoes!…Banzai!…*passes out*.

* Wakes up again as something evil-smelling is passed under nose *

It doesn't have to cost a grand, but it will cost you; everything in life has a cost, yes even PLEASURE…and Rise of Flight can be a kick in the shorts. Myself, I like the flying part much more than the shooting, but it's still a kick.

For those of you who do things for yourself and are experienced at it, you know what I'm referring to. For those that don't, ASK QUESTIONS, there are no stupid ones ( within reason of course ).

:D :S!:

#6 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 23 January 2012 - 00:04

Nice post Navair - well done

#7 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 00:06

System RAM:

Per the information on the back of Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition, system RAM is as follows:

Windows XP / Vista = 2gb RAM minimum, 4gb RAM or higher recommended.
Windows 7 = 4gb RAM minimum, 4gb RAM or higher recommended.

:)

#8 banjoboy1966

banjoboy1966

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:55

Thanks for your help, Navair. Could I ask a really specific question? I'm on Window 7. I've got 6 Go of live memory (of which 4 is available for use - which I never understood how to fix), a Pentium dual core CPU processor (E5200 2.5 Ghz) and a GIGABYTE GA-EG 41MF-US2H motherboard with no graphics card. When I do the test for my machine's performance rating under windows I'm at about 6 out of 7.9 for most everything, except the graphics categorie, which puts me at 3.5/7.9. I guess I need to get a graphics card to make the graphics less choppy, right? Can you tell me what kind of card I should buy? The screen is old, too, but I assume that it wouldn't actually slow down the game, would it? At any rate, I can play ROF, but it's pretty lame. I followed another post here and reduced all my settings and it's better but not great, frankly. So, yeah, any advice about buying a graphics card would be cool. Thanks in advance. Roy

#9 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:51

I'm taking a guess here, but it appears you're using "integrated graphics" that are built onto your motherboard. Even today, this type of graphics is not enough to run ROF IMO.

I think that for an older LGA 775 dual core such as the Intel E5200, your best option would be to upgrade the entire motherboard, processor and RAM to one of the new Sandy Bridge 1155 setups…barring that and other budgetary restrictions, I think dropping in a GTX 550Ti or Radeon HD 5770 / 6770 would pretty much be the limit as to what your platform's data throughput could handle without bottlenecking significantly.

However, this would require a power supply of at least 400-500 watts, so without upgrading your PSU, we would be talking about one of the cards I recommended above for a minimum instead ( assuming you have the usual run-of-the-mill 300 watt jobs ).

Check out your computer's power supply and let me know what it is, so we can determine a graphics card that might work for you.

:S!:

#10 banjoboy1966

banjoboy1966

Posted 08 February 2012 - 14:36

My power supply says 480 watts max. And yes, I am going for the absolute lowest budget possible at the moment. Thanks for all this help. Roy

#11 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 08 February 2012 - 15:31

Just to add in my tuppenyworth, I've mentioned before that I've found ROF to be far more CPU hungry than GPU dependent. I've an ancient PC yet can still run ROF with all the graphics maxed out, and run it at the highest resolution my screen will display without massively affecting frames per second simply because the limiting factor is the CPU which can't achieve really quick frame rates even on minimum graphics settings.

Win XP (32bit)
AMD dual Athlon 2.1Mhz
2Gb RAM
Radeon 4870 (1280x1084 resolution)

On this basic set up the game "looks" superb and typically gives 25fps dropping below 20fps when then the action hots up with lots of planes. I know these are hardly great refresh rates but are quite playable given the age of my PC, all the more so when I read of folk here with far "better spec" machines grumbling about turning down the graphics settings just to make this sim plyable.

#12 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 00:31

My power supply says 480 watts max. And yes, I am going for the absolute lowest budget possible at the moment. Thanks for all this help. Roy

Some would take issue with me on this recommendation and try to determine what your +12VDC rail or a tally of all your +12VDC rails would be, current-wise…As far as I can tell, that 480 watt PSU should be ok to drop in anything from a GTX 550Ti / GTS 450 or Radeon HD 6770 / 5770 on down to the minimums I've listed in my prior posts in this thread, and get ROF to run decently depending on settings.

With your current CPU, memory and PSU setup, I estimate the best settings you're likely to get would be medium, with a few highs sprinkled in perhaps depending on the graphics card used.

Good luck sir.

#13 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 00:58

Just to add in my tuppenyworth, I've mentioned before that I've found ROF to be far more CPU hungry than GPU dependent. I've an ancient PC yet can still run ROF with all the graphics maxed out, and run it at the highest resolution my screen will display without massively affecting frames per second simply because the limiting factor is the CPU which can't achieve really quick frame rates even on minimum graphics settings.

Win XP (32bit)
AMD dual Athlon 2.1Mhz
2Gb RAM
Radeon 4870 (1280x1084 resolution)

On this basic set up the game "looks" superb and typically gives 25fps dropping below 20fps when then the action hots up with lots of planes. I know these are hardly great refresh rates but are quite playable given the age of my PC, all the more so when I read of folk here with far "better spec" machines grumbling about turning down the graphics settings just to make this sim plyable.

Happy, I'll agree that your rig will run ROF pretty well but I think the one component that is making it so is that very capable HD 4870, which is still a good card today.

I'm not sure about the CPU as most people have a tendency to list what Windows tells them it is ( such as AMD Athlon dual core @ 2.1 ghz ) which means I generally have to look it up on a table to get the actual model number ( or guess at it ) then I can see what benchmarks are available, as well as estimate the data throughput.

For instance, there is an AMD X2 4050e "Brisbane" and an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ " Brisbane ", which perform slightly different but are still AMD dual cores and operate at a stock freq. of 2.1ghz. Both are socket AM2, which means that you are most likely using DDR2 memory, anywhere from 400mhz to 800mhz…but that's just a guess. ;)

It is my decidedly unprofessional but fairly practiced opinion :P that ROF will play on any mid-end machine from 2006'ish to present, as long as it meets the graphics card requirements.

Happy, your card actually exceeds the minimum requirements by a fair margin IMO. Although not as powerful as the HD 5850 in the recommended requirements, it's no slouch.

#14 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:05

I'm on Window 7. I've got 6 Go of live memory (of which 4 is available for use - which I never understood how to fix)

Ok. Which version of Win7 do you have? On 32-bit Windows, most RAM above 3.5 to 4gb is not addressed the same way as 64-bit Windows, so you will see something like 4gb "available" while having typically more than that.

Upgrading to 64-bit Windows will change the way that RAM is accessed, showing most of it available instead.

Staying with 32-bit Windows will limit how your memory is used by the OS. Don't get me wrong, it's still "used", just differently as I understand it.

#15 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:39

navair,

for refernce its the AMD dual athlon 4200+ (manchester chipset socket 939 if memory serves me right) Although bought a good while ago it was the overclockers CPU of choice at that time. memory is DDR2 listed as 400Mhz on the sticker on the chipset but the Bios shows it as only 333Mhz.

As for the graphics card it was a second hand e-bay bargain for just £40 which seemed too good to resist when I randomly stumbled upon ROf last summer after a fifteen year absecnce from flight sims and computer gaming.

#16 JiltedJock

JiltedJock

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:53

I'm on Window 7. I've got 6 Go of live memory (of which 4 is available for use - which I never understood how to fix)

Ok. Which version of Win7 do you have? On 32-bit Windows, most RAM above 3.5 to 4gb is not addressed the same way as 64-bit Windows, so you will see something like 4gb "available" while having typically more than that.

Upgrading to 64-bit Windows will change the way that RAM is accessed, showing most of it available instead.

Staying with 32-bit Windows will limit how your memory is used by the OS. Don't get me wrong, it's still "used", just differently as I understand it.

Whilst upgrading to 64 Bit will make the extra 2GB available to Windows, your 32 Bit software (probably all of your software, definitely RoF) will still not be able to use it. Get Dataram's Ramdisk (free download), create a 2GB Ramdisk, put your swap file on it.

#17 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 19 February 2012 - 20:56

Monitors:

OK people, I've decided to throw in a bit about monitors and how they affect your overall performance in Rise of Flight. This subject can be somewhat non-specific, but there are things about monitors that most people don't take into account when running an application that is graphics-intensive, SUCH AS RISE OF FLIGHT * insert shameless "plug" for product *. :P

The monitor(s) you use can make or break your enjoyment of any game or application, especially if the corresponding hardware is unable to function well with it.

Monitors come in varying shapes and sizes, but there are certain standards that have become popular for PC's over the years. Today's "sweet spot", for example, is the run-of-the-mill 24" widescreen LCD with a native resolution ( native meaning that its greatest output efficiency comes when it is run at that resolution ) of 1920 x 1080 pixels…sometimes known as "full HD" or 1080p.

Some of you may have monitors that are better than that ( meaning more pixels ) and therefore are able to get an even sharper and crisper image overall; I personally have a Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX running at 2048 x 1152…some may have the newest and latest 30" monitors from Dell and other manufacturers that are able to display 2560 x 1600 pixels ( nice! ) which can cost quite a bit of cash. :!:

The vast majority of users out there are probably using either square ( 4:3 ratio ) or widescreen ( 16:9 or 16:10 ratio ) LCD flat panels with resolutions anywhere from 1280 x 720 to 1900 x 1200. The point I'm trying to make is this: Native resolutions vary from size to manufacturer, and that's what the variable settings in the ROF launcher are for…to "custom tune" the game so that you are able to run it with a wide range of graphics hardware, which includes your monitor.

Now to the "nuts and bolts" of why I am writing this post…

The reason why it's important to keep in mind what your monitor specs are like, is because the higher the resolution being displayed, the lower your frame rates will be when in the midst of a dogfight or otherwise detail-intensive part of the game.

Sure, there are things such as Anisotropic Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, HDR, Supersampling and Bloom that mostly affect how hard the graphics card must work to DISPLAY that image, but resolution plays a part as well. So…the higher the resolution, the more powerful ( and expensive ) you want your graphics card to be, especially in terms of VRAM ( Video Random Access Memory ). 1 gigabyte is good, 2 gigabytes is even better.

In the end, having a decent monitor or monitors that give(s) you what you want in terms of eye candy is what flight simulations are all about. The rest of the components are what support that eye candy / beautiful image.

#18 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 19 February 2012 - 22:27

Graphics cards:

Another of my (in)famous posts about all things "hardware", this pertains to the ubiquitous discrete add-in card that has been so popular the last 15-20 years or so.

Back in the "old days" of personal computers, graphics code was executed at the main processor CPU level…that is, until programs starting using more and better quality images ( which entailed more and more program code to wade through for said processor to execute ). Then IBM came along and invented the MDA and the rest is history. :D

For those of us that like flight simulations, REAL :lol: graphics cards came about somewhat like this: http://en.wikipedia....processing_unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....processing_unit.

It's not entirely accurate, but it will suffice. Ok, that's the end of "Graphics Cards 101", time for specifics. As I've posted previously in this thread, Rise of Flight requires a certain "power level" to render graphics at an acceptable speed to make the sim playable…think of it in terms of "horsepower", and you'll do fine.

There are several factors that are used to determine said "horsepower", some of which include Memory Bandwidth ( nowadays expressed in terms of gigabytes per second throughput ), Texture Fill Rate, Pixel Fill Rate, FLOPs ( floating point operations ) and others not so important to this author. ;)

Knowing from published specifications on the back of product boxes from various copies of Rise of Flight, I have arrived at a comprehensive list of cards that should theoretically be able to run Rise of Flight from rather well to SPECTACULAR, if married to other hardware components that can feed the wee beasties sufficiently. Yes, I've posted most of this information already, but it doesn't hurt to "flesh things out" and get more specific. 8-)

Nvidia:

7000 series: 7900GTO, 7900GTX, 7900GX2, 7950GX2 (IMO these are running the ragged minimum edge of playability, people)

8000 series: 8600 ( perhaps, hard to tell ), 8600GTS ( maybe ), 8800GTS (maybe, if 640mb version), 8800GTS (512), 8800GT, 8800GTX, 8800 Ultra

9000 series: 9600GT (maybe), 9800GT, 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, 9800GX2

200 series: GT240 (DDR5)(maybe), GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 275, GTX 280, GTX 285, GTX 290

400 series: GT440 (DDR5) (maybe), GTS 450, GTX 460 (any version), GTX 465, GTX 470, GTX 480

500 series: GT 545 (maybe), GTX 550Ti, GTX 560 (any version), GTX 570, GTX 580, GTX 590

600 series: GTX 640 (maybe), GTX 650, GTX 650Ti, GTX 660, GTX 660Ti, GTX 670, GTX 680, GTX 690

700 series: GTX 760, GTX 770, GTX 780, GTX 780Ti, GTX Titan ( Duh? It could run ROF by itself, without the rest of the computer, methinks :P )

AMD / ATI:

X1000 series: XT 1950 Crossfire, XT 1950GT, XT 1950GT, XT 1950 Pro, XT 1950XT, XT 1950XTX (rough and ragged here, as well)

2000 series: HD 2900 Pro, HD 2900 XT (once again, ragged edge performance especially in terms of texture fill rates)

3000 series: HD 3850 (maybe), HD 3870, HD 3870 X2

4000 series: HD 4830, HD 4850, HD 4870, HD 4870 X2, HD 4890

5000 series: HD 5670 (maybe), HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5830, HD 5850, HD 5870, HD 5870 X2 (ASUS Ares), HD 5970

6000 series: HD 6570 (DDR5)(maybe), HD 6670 (DDR5)(maybe), HD 6750, HD 6770, HD 6790, HD 6850, HD 6870, HD 6870 X2, HD 6930, HD 6950, HD 6970, HD 6970 X2, HD 6990

7000 series: HD 7750, HD 7770, HD 7850, HD 7870, HD 7950, HD 7970, HD 7990

There you have it. The above is based on theoretical specs and data throughput and does not constitute approval by Rise of Flight ( 777 Studios ), its developers, marketing or owners past, present or future.

Be advised that these cards are based on my opinion only, specific combinations of hardware such as CPU, RAM and GPU may not work according to this guide, so be prepared to shell out some cash if you have older hardware and still want to enjoy this beautiful simulation. :o :lol:

As with all the previous information, this guide is intended for DESKTOP PC's and should not be used for mobile and laptop configurations.

* Yet another disclaimer: Lawsuits resulting from disappointment at being unable to enjoy Rise of Flight with hardware that may or may not meet minimum requirements, should be directed to the nearest roundfile. :P Thank you for your attention. *

Best regards.

#19 miglsant

miglsant

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:19

Please help me navair2!

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 512Mb
3Gb Ram
CPU Intel Core 2Duo E8500 3.16 GHz
XP SP3

With this config when i'm playng ROF i hear a sound from my computer like this "priiiiiiiiiiii priiiiiiiiii" LOL :). I think my 8600gt shouldn´t do but i have doubts about the cpu too?
I don't play ROF for two years ago. I want to buy a GTX 570 can i make this upgrade with this cpu and motherboard or i need to buy a new desktop? What do you sugest for an eye candy? :)
Please answer me.

#20 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:33

Well if u have money then u should consider buying the new system, motherboard, new cpu, new ram, new gpu, new psu, and if u have ectra money buy ssd. Adding the ultra gpu like 570 on old sistem will help but u will have a bottle neck from the rest of old components. I know i have a gf 460 1 gb , e6550 cpu adn motherboard with ddr2 ram. So iven the gpu isent the best or wery good it is beter then the rest of my comp, so the cpu , ddr2 and old mb r botleneck of it. So having the money for new sistem will solve all the problems for rof to play it like it should be. But money is allweys a problem, so baying a gpu will help, and u cann change the rest later. I hope thise helps, but weit for expert to show - navair2. :S!:

#21 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 13:38

Please help me navair2!

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 512Mb
3Gb Ram
CPU Intel Core 2Duo E8500 3.16 GHz
XP SP3

With this config when i'm playng ROF i hear a sound from my computer like this "priiiiiiiiiiii priiiiiiiiii" LOL :). I think my 8600gt shouldn´t do but i have doubts about the cpu too?
I don't play ROF for two years ago. I want to buy a GTX 570 can i make this upgrade with this cpu and motherboard or i need to buy a new desktop? What do you sugest for an eye candy? :)
Please answer me.

IMO the GTX 570 is an expensive and powerful card…will a Core2 Duo E8500 be able to feed it enough data without "bottlenecking"? I believe it would be too hard to say for sure. The E8500 is a very powerful dual core processor, and will work even at stock clock speeds with most of today's newer cards, but overclocking it moderately can give good results.

However, I do not recommend spending the money on something like a GTX 570 if you do not intend to make it work with newer and more powerful hardware. Consider instead something like a GTX 460, 560 or at most a GTX 560ti.

If you have the money, upgrade to the newest Intel Sandy Bridge series of motherboards such as the P67 or Z68 types, get a good i5-2300, 2400 or 2500 and 8gb of DDR3 RAM with Windows 7 64-bit…

If you do NOT have the money to spend on a full upgrade and would just like to upgrade your card to be better than the 8600GT, then buy yourself anything from these series:

Nvidia: GTX 260, GTX 275, GTX 280, GTX 285 ( all DirectX 10 cards ), GTS 450, GTX 460, GTX 550ti, GTX 560, GTX 560ti ( all DirectX 11 cards ).

AMD: Radeon HD 4850, HD 4870, HD 4890 ( All DirectX 10 cards ), HD 5770, HD 5850, HD 5870, HD 6770, HD 6830, HD 6850, HD 6870.

I do not recommend anything more powerful or expensive simply because of the possibility of "bottlenecking".

Best wishes. :S!:

PS: Neuro, you did well, "grasshopper". :lol: You said everything I would have ( and did say ). You've been educating yourself, I see. ;)

#22 miglsant

miglsant

Posted 07 April 2012 - 13:45

Thanks for the reply LordNeuro*Srb* But my piggy bank is too thin at this moment to buy a new system. :D
with 500.00€ what can i buy? Intel core quad i7 2600k 3.40Ghz Skt 1155 8Mb and a Nvidia Gtx 570 DC2 1280Mb GDDR5, nothing more. :(

#23 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:03

FWIW: I run Rise of flight with mostly medium settings (a few highs sprinkled in at 1600x900 res with an ATI 4650 card. That card is teamed with a AMD Athlon quad core running at 2.6. So a 4800 ATI is not the bottom end card.

#24 JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:07

After listening to Navair2’s excellent advice, I researched Power Supply Units and found a few websites that I thought were useful.

I recently read an article somewhere about a few PSU manufacturers that were falsely labeling their PSUs as being 80 Plus certified (and one of the manufacturers was a common brand that I recognized). I’m sorry to say I don’t recall the source of the article, but a Startpage search (https://startpage.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://startpage.com/) would likely locate it. Anyway, the article directed its readers to the following page so that a consumer could verify their PSU’s 80 Plus certification and see how efficient it actually is:

http://www.plugloads...erSupplies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.plugloads...ions.com/80Plus … plies.aspx

I also found a free online PSU calculator that I thought was helpful:

http://www.extreme.o...culatorlite.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.extreme.o...vision.com/psuc … orlite.jsp

From what I’ve read, online calculators will give you a reasonable estimate of your power requirements, but the only way to know for certain is to run the exact numbers of your system yourself.

Lastly, I found an article on Tom’s Hardware that I thought was particularly informative. It was probably the most useful article I found on the subject. It explains the importance of selecting not only a quality power supply, but also a power supply that falls within the proper output range:

http://www.tomshardw...eview,2916.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/pow … ,2916.html

I hope this information is helpful. I’m currently trying to set up a computer that will run Rise of Flight well, but deciphering all the computer hardware technical jargon is rather intimidating.

#25 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:10

Thanks for the reply LordNeuro*Srb* But my piggy bank is too thin at this moment to buy a new system. :D
with 500.00€ what can i buy? Intel core quad i7 2600k 3.40Ghz Skt 1155 8Mb and a Nvidia Gtx 570 DC2 1280Mb GDDR5, nothing more. :(

Both of those components are somewhat above even what I would call "mid-range"…more like top-end. Consider instead a very good i5 chip and a GTX 560 2gb and you will save at least 100.00E.

IMO there are more options that would still give you good performance and still be able to afford an upgrade, but 600-700E would be more realistic.

#26 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:13

FWIW: I run Rise of flight with mostly medium settings (a few highs sprinkled in at 1600x900 res with an ATI 4650 card. That card is teamed with a AMD Athlon quad core running at 2.6. So a 4800 ATI is not the bottom end card.

I hope I haven't given anyone on this thread the idea that an HD 4850 was the "bottom end"…quite the contrary, I feel that many of the lower-to-mid-range cards from the past 3-4 years will enable ROF to play quite well with reduced settings. :)

#27 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:15

After listening to Navair2’s excellent advice, I researched Power Supply Units and found a few websites that I thought were useful.

I recently read an article somewhere about a few PSU manufacturers that were falsely labeling their PSUs as being 80 Plus certified (and one of the manufacturers was a common brand that I recognized). I’m sorry to say I don’t recall the source of the article, but a Startpage search (https://startpage.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://startpage.com/) would likely locate it. Anyway, the article directed its readers to the following page so that a consumer could verify their PSU’s 80 Plus certification and see how efficient it actually is:

http://www.plugloads...erSupplies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.plugloads...ions.com/80Plus … plies.aspx

I also found a free online PSU calculator that I thought was helpful:

http://www.extreme.o...culatorlite.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.extreme.o...vision.com/psuc … orlite.jsp

From what I’ve read, online calculators will give you a reasonable estimate of your power requirements, but the only way to know for certain is to run the exact numbers of your system yourself.

Lastly, I found an article on Tom’s Hardware that I thought was particularly informative. It was probably the most useful article I found on the subject. It explains the importance of selecting not only a quality power supply, but also a power supply that falls within the proper output range:

http://www.tomshardw...eview,2916.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/pow … ,2916.html

I hope this information is helpful. I’m currently trying to set up a computer that will run Rise of Flight well, but deciphering all the computer hardware technical jargon is rather intimidating.

All good information. I also tend to like to see who makes what, so I use this handy list to sort things out: http://www.tomshardw...turer,2913.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/pow … ,2913.html

#28 miglsant

miglsant

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:28

Thks navair2! Now i have an idea what can i buy. So if i buy a new pcu i5 2500k 3.30Ghz Skt 6Mb / Geforce GTX550ti 1Gb Windforce 2x GDDR5 / 8gb of DDR3 RAM with Windows 7 64-bit i can play ROF with max settings?
Monitor LG FullHD 2ms so i can play with 1920x1080
Track IR
saitek x52
I like to fly and enjoy the beautiful scenery in this game but if in fury also like to pursue and destroy all that is beautiful in this game muaaahahahaha :D.
If im gonna spend money i want to play it in max settings i think i dont need to buy the latest desktops.

#29 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:42

Migslant, perhaps a slightly stronger graphics card such as a GTX 460, GTX 560, HD 5870, HD 6870 or similar would be better than the GTX 550ti, but that card would do well…

As for getting the i5-2500K instead of the i7-2600K: The 2500K has been shown in several benchmarks to actually beat the 2600K in games, but only a few. It's really a very good processor. Putting that with a GTX 550ti will get you some very good performance IMO.

The question becomes, "will the GTX 550ti run Rise of Flight at maximum settings?" Maybe, maybe not, but getting the 2gb version of the 550ti would get you close to that possibility. In fact, it's not that far off in terms of "horsepower" when compared to the recommended GTX 260.

Based on benchmarks, the 550ti is actually a bit more powerful than the GTX 260, so it should do the job nicely.

The final answer: "Probably".

#30 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 07 April 2012 - 15:03

Great hardware info navair2. Just wondering about info on the settings side of things. Newer people have a need to not only set their ROF settings but also their nVidia or ATI settings to work properly together. Is this something you wish to address in this thread? I have samples I could post if you want. It may help to have techies review these setting as well to flesh out any issues.

#31 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 16:51

I don't really have much in the way of advice on settings as yet, VR-Stick. This thread is mainly hardware-oriented.

Most of what I know about settings is limited to my experience with Nvidia cards and systems close to what I currently have ( although older systems from the past 3 years aren't as hard to guess at settings ), but you are welcome to post here with settings based on experience and any insight you may have. Perhaps someone with extensive first-hand knowledge of how ROF behaves with both newer and older systems will start a new thread? I know Fifi and others have played around a bit.

On older systems, it's really "hit and miss", as older hardware can tolerate some things being set higher, and some things not so well, IMO. Because ROF's engine was apparently "built" on DirectX 9.0c, I believe there are many cards out there that will "play well" with it.

#32 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 19:20

Well it pretty much tanked on my 3870X2, but this was before Rise of Flight worked properly with dual GPU cards so I think it was operating like a regular 3870. Can't really say how much the Q6600 CPU was slowing me down, I'm fairly certain the 3870X2 bottle-necked it a lot. I do remember fiddling and micromanaging the post process effects along with shadows and reflections, grass was off I believe. Some of the other settings didn't change the frame rate much but I think the ones I listed had a massive effect on fps. With medium settings I could get it between 30 and 40 frames at 2048x1152, but it never felt really smooth to me.

I am actually thinking of trying the 2 3870X2's on my 2500k machine. I got a second one a few years later real cheap, but they never worked well at all in tandem on my old motherboard, even though I thought it could support Crossfire. It would be interesting to see what the equivalent of what is 4 GPU's that are 4 generations old firing on all cylinders would do with a good motherboard and processor in this game. Though I fear it would be difficult to get it working properly.

#33 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 00:25

I believe AMD's 3000 series was the first generation they tried CrossFireX with, in reply to Nvidia's 7000 series SLI introduction.

Historically, dual GPU and dual card solutions haven't scaled well until a couple generations ago…at this point, both companies are getting excellent results with scaling, so that adding a second card gets close to doubling the performance of having a single card.

If I remember correctly, scaling didn't really improve for Nvidia until the advent of the 200 series and GTX 260's were getting in the neighborhood of +70-+90% depending on the application. Before that, 7000, 8000 and 9000 series cards just couldn't get much better than +70%.

For AMD I'm a bit rustier, but it seems to me that CrossFireX really started "taking off" with the 4000 series, but marked improvements became the norm during the 5000 series. At any rate, I would love to see some settings on any older hardware you gents may have around the shop.

#34 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 18:07

Yeah, I think it was the AMD 5000 series was the line that got close to doubling performance, probably in time with nvidias cards in SLI. Where the 3000 series, I think you were only getting maybe 50% increase with dual cards.

It was kind of a no-brainer to get the dual GPU 3870X2 at the time because because you did not get the cut in performance that you got on 2 separate cards and it was far less expensive than buying 2 regular 3870's separately. Things have changed now days, it seems its cheaper to buy 2 cards and run them together in Crossfire or SLI and they will get you better performance and less heat and noise than a dual GPU card.

#35 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 14:31

Shameless bump to put this thread near the top for newer players coming in.

Welcome to Rise of Flight…pull up a chair and try not to yank your hair out as you attempt to get the game working on your rigs, m'kay?

For those adjusting graphics settings, it really is kind of "hit and miss" at times ( as I said above a few posts ), especially the older and less-capable your machines are.

Be patient, and try reducing the heavy hitters like Landscape, Reflections, Shadows, Shader Quality, de-selecting Raindrops ( only has an impact while actually raining ) and Supersampling to help your CPU's and graphics cards to cope with ROF's game engine.

Your card's memory usage will be heavily impacted with things like HDR, Landscape, Shadows and a few others. Don't be afraid to experiment…take your settings "to the wall", then back off select things and re-run the game. Find that "sweet spot" and stick with it.

Best wishes. :S!:

#36 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 19 May 2012 - 15:12

Ok then I would bump this topic to monitors. Did some experiment on a passive LG TV, review: Rof in 3d on a LG 42LW4500 a result in 3D that was not positive. But viewing RoF on a 1920x1080 resolution opened my eyes.
This 42" is to big for me sitting 40-50cm from the screen in my pilot desk, so I want to go for a single 27" This could be a 1920x1080 120hz or a 2560x1440 high resolution.
So I do want to know what would be the best choice inhere, knowing that the prices between them are not that different.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#37 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 17:07

IMO, if I had to choose between 1080p and a higher resolution for the same price, I would always opt for the higher resolution…provided it's of a decent and reputable brand such as Samsung, BenQ or one of the other major ones….especially Dell. ;)

#38 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:03

It will be Samsung/HP/Dell or Fujitsu, still no decision made but that is also caused by economic crisis here, which is still roaring here.
http://tweakers.net/...4;288681;290640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tweakers.net/...ewatch/compare/ … 681;290640
http://uk.hardware.i...-05-2012-191203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.hardware.i...comparisontable … 012-191203
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#39 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:31

I have no exeprience viewing gaming on 120hz monitors, though I would really like to and I am sure it is a noticeable improvement over 60hz. Like Naviar, I would go with a 2560x1440 resolution instead of 120hz given the choices at similar prices.

Stats are nice, but I would pay extra attention to how well colors reproduce on the monitors, which you can only find from more in-depth reviews. If I had to pick one off hand though I would personally go with the Dell. Though it looks like the Samsung has a slightly better response time (if you can trust if that the testing methods are accurate). It looks like the Dell might have the best contrast as well.

Just make sure that you have the muscle in graphics card muscle to drive the resolution or more frames!

#40 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 21 May 2012 - 17:06

I want to go for the GTX680/670 or HD7970 range, only the best for RoF. Only I do not know if 2Gb will be sufficient for a single 2560x1440 high resolution screen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users