Photo
- - - - -

LFG Roland C2

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:24

Have a look here http://www.military-...t=Roland&page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.military-...es.com/forums/s … and&page=4

#82 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:35

That's the one that inspired me Roen. It's very high poly though, but some very sweet modelling!
Wish I was half as good.
@Feathered: No, as stated before, my model is in no way endorsed by 777.

#83 Dughor

Dughor

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:21

Pretty nice modell.

Don't sell yourself under value. Your modelling skills are good.
And best of all - you know how to paint.

I did some 3D modells for Richthofens-Skies. But I never learned how to paint them properly.
This was done by others, like Lucas. (Heya Lucas *wave*)

Anyway: "Everyone" can build a high poly modell. But the real art is to get as much detail from as little as possible polys. And if you are able to fill those "missing polys" with the proper paintjob, everything is fine.

#84 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:50

+1 What Dughor wrote (Hiya!) It is a very difficult job to achieve the best quality with the best performance.
But again, your Roland is great looking model and I hope that she will appear in some flight simulator. The model simply deserves that.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#85 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:18

+1 it should fly somewhere

#86 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 10 February 2012 - 16:27

Thx a bunch for your nice comments!
I'm currently working away from home, so I haven't been able to do much with the Roland. JFYI.
I will post when I can.
:S!:

#87 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 10 February 2012 - 18:24

I'd pay up to $20 bucks to have that plane in the game….very nice model for sure…

#88 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:34

Sorry I haven´t had the time to do any updates, but today I managed to get some small work done:

Hope you like it. Not sure about the colours…

#89 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 27 February 2012 - 14:00

Colors are way too bright for my taste, but they may actually be historically accurate. We often tend to downplay colors when recreating the past, and we often forget that the short service lives of WW1 aircraft would mean that most wouldv'e appeared brand new and freshly painted.

It's also important to keep in mind, that much of the camouflage used on WW1 aircraft weren't meant to "blend in" with the background but was designed as "dazzle" camo to prevent proper aircraft identification and distance estimation.

In any case, it's a beautiful model.

#90 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 20:31

Wow wery nice modeling SYN_Per. I like it wery much. :S!:

#91 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:29

Small work?

#92 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:24

Exciting!

#93 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:24

Sorry I haven´t had the time to do any updates, but today I managed to get some small work done:

Can we get this plane in RoF? Please. :D

#94 Silverback

Silverback

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:36

Looks like visiblity from cockpit is excellent. That in itself will get people to fly it.

#95 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 28 February 2012 - 19:23

Except downwards. Caused a lot of nose overs on landing

#96 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:09

SYN_Per, Quite amazing and as said before, hope you will not sell yourself short and at least approach Jason about it's possible inclusion into ROF in the future. The worst they can do is say no thank you, but who knows maybe they want people doing some of the leg work to help them along. You might be the first one to take this initiative, and 777 may appreciate it and help you along? Who knows? Just ask them, what do you have to lose? Looks great so far.

S! Blade<><

#97 Shutter

Shutter
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:53

Great Job!!!! I'd buy it!!!

#98 catchov

catchov

Posted 29 February 2012 - 00:24

But not before the Fe2b. ;) So this Roland also had the "Dolphin Dilemma" it seems.

#99 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 29 February 2012 - 00:28

So this Roland also had the "Dolphin Dilemma" it seems.

Hence the nickname Walfisch (Whale). :lol:

#100 wrong_name_746

wrong_name_746

Posted 05 March 2012 - 20:27

The Roland had another serious defect, and that was it's wings would frequently warp when in service for a small period of time. It seriously affected it's rate of climb.

All told, it's performance didn't quite live up to it's awesome appearance. Clearly a case of an aeroplane ahead of it's time.

#101 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 05 March 2012 - 21:04

The view from the cockpit must have been great for both crewmen.

There were some interesting design decisions around the exhaust. Clearly it is offset like that to give the pilot something more useful to breathe but I wonder why the exhaust port was over the wing at all. Maybe venting under the wing had exhaust going into one or the other cockpit.

Hopefully when they nosed over they didn't go all the way.

Interesting shape for the control surfaces.

#102 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 March 2012 - 22:42

The Roland had another serious defect, and that was it's wings would frequently warp when in service for a small period of time. It seriously affected it's rate of climb.

All told, it's performance didn't quite live up to it's awesome appearance. Clearly a case of an aeroplane ahead of it's time.

From what I've read, Pfalz and other aeroplane manufacturers didn't have the luxury of using dry, seasoned wood all of the time. Often the wood used was still "green" which would have caused warping when it started to dry out. This may be the cause with regards to the Roland we're dicussing.

When asked if his Pfalz DIII and DIIIa (reproductions) will have the warped fuselages of the past, Achim Engels said that he will use dried wood and doesn't expect to see any warping. However, since all his aeroplanes are made using the techniques and for the most part materials used by the manufacuters back in WW1, he also stated, what happens, happens. What matters most to him is to recreate the past.

#103 wrong_name_746

wrong_name_746

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:51

From what I've read, Pfalz and other aeroplane manufacturers didn't have the luxury of using dry, seasoned wood all of the time. Often the wood used was still "green" which would have caused warping when it started to dry out. This may be the cause with regards to the Roland we're dicussing.

When asked if his Pfalz DIII and DIIIa (reproductions) will have the warped fuselages of the past, Achim Engels said that he will use dried wood and doesn't expect to see any warping. However, since all his aeroplanes are made using the techniques and for the most part materials used by the manufacuters back in WW1, he also stated, what happens, happens. What matters most to him is to recreate the past.

Yup. The Germans had a tough time securing good timber, especially later in the war. Good linens and dope as well.

The Roland C.2 was apparently, by design, prone to wing warping, probably more than the typical aeroplanes of it's time period. Like most everything else, I'm sure the Germans made do with what they had, and moved on.

I'm sure the lack of seasoned lumber was one of the reasons why the Fokker D.VII was selected for production, with it's steel tube space construction fuselage. That, and it's relative ease of construction. Interestingly, a couple of prototypes were constructed with ply covered fuselages, but they were 40lbs heavier and not adapted for production. Perhaps they were concerned with steel tube shortages.

#104 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:57

… All told, it's performance didn't quite live up to it's awesome appearance. Clearly a case of an aeroplane ahead of it's time.
My understanding was that the C2 was faster than most of the Entente scouts of the time, and was often used as a two-seat fighter, when not employed in other duties.

Read an old Albert Ball biography from early 30's, the C2 seems to figure prominently in his early career, and MvR flew them as well if memory serves. All in all a very important aircraft for the early period, even though not many built, and yes ahead of its time.

I do hope either 777 pick up on this project or that it somehow gets created.

#105 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 10 March 2012 - 00:44

Me too Bandy!! So how's it comin along Per?

#106 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:38

SYN_Per :S!: nice job mate.
Have a look at the link below some good stuff there. The photo of italian airmen looking at the c2 give a good look at reargun mountings. :)

http://www.earlyaero...om/archive1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.earlyaero...om/archive1.htm

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#107 Shutter

Shutter
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:44

I would vote 1,000 times for this plane!!! I really love ROF, I have bought everything they have put out to help keep it going! I am hoping the earlier war (1914-1916) gets some more attention. I've seen some folks say "How boring", I'd love to try to take down a an opposing crate with a carbine! I'd love to try to match the feats of Roland Garros! And the opportunity to try to survive the whole air war, WOW… If it means I buy another 100 planes, so be it! Rise of Flight has the power, graphics, and challenge to be the greatest flightsim ever!!! :D

#108 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:53

I know its not the intent of you project, but I would so love to see this in game!{especially with this skin http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Plastic-kits/ROLAND-C-II-1-48.html?cur=2}

#109 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:39

CALLING JASON!!! :shock: :shock:

no really this needs a chance to be In game.

#110 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:58

CALLING JASON!!! :shock: :shock:

no really this needs a chance to be In game.
Lets hope, lets hope that 777, will make this more open by releasing a SDK for models and carreer.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#111 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 24 July 2012 - 20:50

Still some interest here I see, but I have to disappoint you by saying nothing has been done to it.
To busy with real life work. Hopefully I can make some progress this coming autumn.
SDK would be great though!
Or just to see the team make it. :S!:

#112 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:32

was there any contact from 777 regarding the specifications of the plane model !!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#113 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 25 July 2012 - 20:07

No, and I haven't approached them. Yet… :)

#114 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 25 July 2012 - 22:36

Your L.F.G is more than beautiful.I hope 777 have plans to expand their team in a future so more than one plane can be released at every patch.

#115 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:35

I started a build of the Roland for my own pleasure and practice, now I wonder if any of you guys can help me out with pics of the pit and backseat? Would be much appreciated!

This is what she looks like now with wings mapped and bump applied:

where to get it from Sir?

Regards and keep on doing such great models!
Callahan
:S!: :S!: :S!:

#116 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:28

… All told, it's performance didn't quite live up to it's awesome appearance. Clearly a case of an aeroplane ahead of it's time.
My understanding was that the C2 was faster than most of the Entente scouts of the time, and was often used as a two-seat fighter, when not employed in other duties.

Read an old Albert Ball biography from early 30's, the C2 seems to figure prominently in his early career, and MvR flew them as well if memory serves. All in all a very important aircraft for the early period, even though not many built, and yes ahead of its time.

Albert liked to shoot them down in his Nieuport, his kill list has so many(13 or more) that it almost seems he went out looking for them.

Its more surprising when you look at how few were at the front in Frontbestand, only 50 or so maximum.

#117 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:24

I´d like to still express my hopes that we one day see this plane in RoF

#118 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:22

Any chance to see this as a stationary object now the SDK is released???

#119 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:45

Any chance to see this as a stationary object now the SDK is released???

Good idea.

#120 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:52

The model looks fantastic! It seems like a two seat relative of the Dolphin. Like the Dolphin, flipping this bird over is not an option, eh? :lol: :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users