- - - - -

St Mihiel Campaign Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 23 December 2011 - 22:47

This thread is for posting any issues or suggestions you have with the St. Mihiel add-on campaign. Just as all other stuff in Rise of Flight we will give on-going support. Any bugs will be fixed in a future version.
I will also post a list of known-issues here. Some things are game-related issues, others are mission-related.

Attached File  2011_12_20__22_35_18.jpg   294.08KB   5169 downloads
Attached File  2011_12_21__22_40_22.jpg   232.5KB   5164 downloads
Attached File  2011_12_21__23_1_24.jpg   61.45KB   5163 downloads
Attached File  2011_12_21__23_3_35.jpg   354.76KB   5163 downloads

Known issues/FAQ:

Mission result will always show "Victory!"
-This is deliberate. You may proceed to the next mission if you don't get killed or captured. Unfortenately, I can't change the "Victory" result; you should read it as "You may proceed".

Sometimes a mission doesn't start with a black screen, but showing the cockpit instead.
-This usually happens if you start from the Hangar screen or hit Refly. It's a technology limitation in RoF for now.

AI of SPAD is not very good, always diving in circles during a fight.
-This is a limitation of the current AI in RoF. You may try 3rd party mods to change the behaviour of the AI. This should work, but it is not officially supported as the missions were designed without mods enabled.

AI Bomber gunners are far too accurate. It is almost impossible to survive an attack.
-Again, this is a limitation of current AI. I did my best to by changing the behavior of the Bomber AI during flight, but it's not really possible to control this with the mission. Try a head-on attack if you can. Just as in real life, take your time and do not press on an attack from the rear. EDIT: I think AI Gunner behaviour has changed recently, so this may have been improved.

Starting with cold engine is not good - flight leader takes off immediately
-Cold engine starts are not supported. Mind you, in real life the pilots would not warm up their engines themselves. The mechanics would do this for you.

I can see the diary, but there isn't any text
-Make sure subtitles are turned on. Also, turn on the HUD or you will not see any media.

I noticed several enemy aircraft / AAA units, but they didn't seem to notice me
-Enemy AI will not always attack as soon as they see you; they sometimes take up position first.

#2 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:07

I am really looking forward to playing this and thanks for your efforts.

w.r.t. the AI comments in your post, does this mean the campaign in general is not compatible with Criquets AI mod or can it still be played OK with Mods?

#3 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:30

Just bought it SYN_Vander, I am sure it will be good. I will check it out later, I am just now trying to decide if I want to update as I see some problems posted. Any advice, update or wait ?

S! Blade<><

#4 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:11

I am really looking forward to playing this and thanks for your efforts.

w.r.t. the AI comments in your post, does this mean the campaign in general is not compatible with Criquets AI mod or can it still be played OK with Mods?

It has been tested by one of our testers at the time and it seemed to work just fine. But officialy it is not supported because it is out of our control.

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:29

Blade, I don't think the campaign is compatible with the previous version of ROF (1.022), in fact you probably won't even be able to open it since it's not a part of the interface of the previous version!

But, you can always make a copy of your ROF folder and update that copy, so that you still have the old ROF on your HD in case the new one doesn't work for you?

#6 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:30

My first impression is that it is very well presented and with clear objectives. Well…time to climb into the old Fokker and give it a go. Hmmm…just a simple delivery trip to start eh? Knowing my luck I'll bump smack into a bunch of angry yanks.

:(

#7 rolikiraly

rolikiraly

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:04

It seems i have to possess N.28 and Fokker D.VII to buy and play this campaign, right?

#8 Manny_Pfalz

Manny_Pfalz

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:15

WOW!
I love the intro! Started into the first mission, but had RL issues to deal with, so I'll get back to it later, but WOW! The intro was great! Really sets the mood! Can't wait to play it through!
Merry Christmas!
Manny

#9 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:16

It seems i have to possess N.28 and Fokker D.VII to buy and play this campaign, right?

Yes, you need to have those planes. At the time, when we started the campaign, most players already had these planes because they were part of the initial RoF Planeset and Iron Cross edition (I think).

#10 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:37

Blade, I don't think the campaign is compatible with the previous version of ROF (1.022), in fact you probably won't even be able to open it since it's not a part of the interface of the previous version!

But, you can always make a copy of your ROF folder and update that copy, so that you still have the old ROF on your HD in case the new one doesn't work for you?

Rgr that Jorri, that is exactly what I did.

Thanks, S! Blade<><

#11 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:07

Just purchased the campaign to support development of more things like this, and glad to hear it will be officially supported as well. Vander, that first screenshot of the balloon attack is quite lovely.

Question: Do all the campaign mission files load with the recent update, only to be unlocked by purchase? If so, that could add up to significant HD space for non-buyers if there are more campaigns in the future. Just a reality check…

#12 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:01

Just purchased the campaign to support development of more things like this, and glad to hear it will be officially supported as well. Vander, that first screenshot of the balloon attack is quite lovely.

Question: Do all the campaign mission files load with the recent update, only to be unlocked by purchase? If so, that could add up to significant HD space for non-buyers if there are more campaigns in the future. Just a reality check…

Yup, but this is the same for all content.

#13 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 26 December 2011 - 17:40

I have updated the FAQ, see first page.

#14 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:05

Mission 14, the recon in the spad 13 has some issues. I flew this mission 4 times, but failed it each time. The notes say that the recon doesnt have to be accurate (and a couple of the targets are hard to distinguish…is it a military base, or a headquarters….). I finally gave up. If the recon does have to be accurate (Or at least 50% or something like that, then the notes should say something different.).

#15 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:53

Mission 14, the recon in the spad 13 has some issues. I flew this mission 4 times, but failed it each time. The notes say that the recon doesnt have to be accurate (and a couple of the targets are hard to distinguish…is it a military base, or a headquarters….). I finally gave up. If the recon does have to be accurate (Or at least 50% or something like that, then the notes should say something different.).

I think you should have something like 4 out of 6 targets correct (I'll look it up). I agree it's a bit tough, because some of the descriptions are quite similar.

#16 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:14

Heh! Well, I think I got the first (howitzers) and the last (howitzers) correct. Also, there is a tank division, and a convoy (maybe the convoy is not a convoy, but another of the descriptions…?).

BTW, your campaign is quite good Vander! Enjoying it very much, even tho I dont care for the vanilla d7, or the spad 13 (and the n28 goes with out saying :) ). The missions are designed very well, and are impelling to continue playing! Well done! This campaign made me fly planes I never would have flown. Actually, after flying the spad 13, it's not quite so bad!
Thank you for an excellent bit of work!

#17 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:14

If you haven't played Mission #2, then do not read on –you have been warned!

After the hostile encounter (–total surprise!–very well engineered as I did not get, or didn't notice, the "pre-encounter stutter", only a stutter with the preceding 2-seater) I chased the enemy over no-man's-land because I saw my flight leader chasing the other enemy in that direction. My opponent turned back and we had a long circling duel at the deck, and as I was watching my opponent he vanished –blink– gone.

I did not notice any other graphic glitch, or experience any other game problem. Was there some sort of timer on the presence of his spawn? Perhaps my flight lead and his enemy had extended past my 'sphere of existence', and so my opponent (same spawn event) also disappeared? I'm reaching here…

Enjoying the campaign details and setting very much, but not very far into the missions.

#18 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:50

If you haven't played Mission #2, then do not read on –you have been warned!

After the hostile encounter (–total surprise!–very well engineered as I did not get, or didn't notice, the "pre-encounter stutter", only a stutter with the preceding 2-seater) I chased the enemy over no-man's-land because I saw my flight leader chasing the other enemy in that direction. My opponent turned back and we had a long circling duel at the deck, and as I was watching my opponent he vanished –blink– gone.

I did not notice any other graphic glitch, or experience any other game problem. Was there some sort of timer on the presence of his spawn? Perhaps my flight lead and his enemy had extended past my 'sphere of existence', and so my opponent (same spawn event) also disappeared? I'm reaching here…

Enjoying the campaign details and setting very much, but not very far into the missions.

Aye, this is one of the drawbacks of the -not showing objects behind visual range - approach.
As long as the guy you are chasing is the flight leader it's okay; or if they stick together. But now it's not possible to check the distance between you and each individual aircraft within a flight, only the flight leader. The AI are "programmed" to break off an engagement after a certain time (to avoid them chasing you all the way to the airfield etc) so it's possible they get separated from each other. I'll see if there is a solution to make sure the enemy flight sticks together more….

#19 CAMALEON

CAMALEON

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:03

I have a problem with the friend AI of the campaign.

It see how that the priority of the waypoint for the friend IA is very high, and they follow the path ignoring to the enemy planes.

It happened in the mission 3 and 4.
In the third mission, the friend AI flow over the ballons while the enemuy planes shot down the ballons without attack them.
In the 4 mission, the friend AI follow the path of the waypoints without attack the bombers.

There is missing a attack command or simply set the waypoint with low priority to trigger it from attacking enemy aircraft.

I think that this should be revised, because you have to fight alone without the aid of the friend AI or follow to your leader, and the mission will fail.

The campaign is great, and the inmersion too, but it seems to lack of testing.

Regards
CAMALEON

#20 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 January 2012 - 16:11

I have a problem with the friend AI of the campaign.

It see how that the priority of the waypoint for the friend IA is very high, and they follow the path ignoring to the enemy planes.

It happened in the mission 3 and 4.
In the third mission, the friend AI flow over the ballons while the enemuy planes shot down the ballons without attack them.
In the 4 mission, the friend AI follow the path of the waypoints without attack the bombers.

There is missing a attack command or simply set the waypoint with low priority to trigger it from attacking enemy aircraft.

I think that this should be revised, because you have to fight alone without the aid of the friend AI or follow to your leader, and the mission will fail.

The campaign is great, and the inmersion too, but it seems to lack of testing.

Regards
CAMALEON

Hi Camaleon,

I will look into these missions. If there are bugs I will make sure to fix them before the next release.
However, setting waypoints to "high" is a trick I have often used to make sure the AI do not attack immediately. This is to simulate that the AI aircraft do not see each other at first, or are trying to take up position. I think it's highly unrealistic to have AI aircraft spawn and they then immediately begin to attack other aircraft.

I would strongly suggest to fly these missions with nav/icons OFF or it will totally ruin the immersion. Of course if you think there really is a bug you can always turn them back on. :)

#21 J99_Bodo

J99_Bodo

Posted 01 January 2012 - 16:25

Why is the Campain not in german too?

#22 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:09

Hi Bodo, We need someone willing to translate it. The language packs for Rise of Flight are maintained by members from the community. As of now we have a Spanish translation in the works that will hopefully be added in a future update.

#23 CAMALEON

CAMALEON

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:58

Hi Vander;

Its not a problem for fly with icons on (i fly with it off).
The friendly AI disengaje of the combat whit enemy planes in very close range.
And in the second mission the lider was attacked from behind while continued on its course. In fact i was surprised too.

This is to simulate that the AI aircraft do not see each other at first, or are trying to take up position. I think it's highly unrealistic to have AI aircraft spawn and they then immediately begin to attack other aircraft.

I think that for avoid this problem the medium priority is enough though, i prefer the low priority.
For avoid the problem, a mixture of medium and low priority may be enough, or add a attack command (or attack area command) in a specific area.
Without these commands, we have the problem that i said.

In the manual said:
High – AI fly to the point ignoring all dangers until it reaches it (executes command).

And that's what happened, tha AI flow to the next waypoint ignoring the enemy.

The medium priority for waypoint:
Medium – when flying to the point with this priority AI will detour from the route or perform any actions
only if it will feel danger (if a plane attacks from behind – AI will defend);

It is a risk, because the bombers are not a danger for the Fokker VII, and they fly to the next point again.

And the low prority:
Low – when flying to the point with this priority AI will be searching for any available targets and attack them where possible;

Is in my opinion the best solution for this mission.
You can set a medium (or high) priority waypoint before of the atack area, and low priority in it. So avoid the problem that you comment and the problem that i comment.
Or set a atack command in the area where you know the bombers will appear.

In the third mission, i dont understand why the friendly AI dont atack the enemy aircrafts.
Is there a attack area command?

Regards
CAMALEON

#24 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:46

Okay, thanks. I'll check those missions.

#25 Dodo974

Dodo974

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:05

Hi Vander,
I got a problem with the mission 22.
I've done the mission 21 and now the mision 22 is yellow in the menu and the box "begin the mission" is ok. But when i try it i got a 10020 error "cette mission n'est pas disponible pour votre compte" that mean (i try to translate) " this mission is not available for your account".

Dodo

#26 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:30

Hi Dodo,

It seems there is a problem with the campaign logic, see this thread with the similar issue:

Unable to fly Mission 22 in St Mihiels Campaign????

I'll contact RoF support as this is outside my control.

#27 Dodo974

Dodo974

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:02

Thx for u'r rapid answer,

I've read the topic just after my previous post.
For your information dunno if it will help ?
1) I got the victory screen after the mission 21
2) i fly mod off but i try mod on >> same results.
3) i fly again mission 21, enter the cokpit then leave, got the victory screen, reload mission 22 same result.
4) My game is in french i turn off then try in english : same result.
Dunno if it will help you, but the campaign is a great work :))))

Dodo

#28 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:26

Thanks Dodo. Yes, this will definitely help the team to rule out any inter dependency issues.

#29 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 04 January 2012 - 22:32

Vander,
do we need to report this to the RoF team or have you already done so?

#30 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:14

The #22 mission issue has been reported. Unfortenately, the team is not on full strength as there is a holiday in Russia. I can imagine it must be though to have a mandatory break! Let's hope someone can look into this soon…

#31 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:00

Thanks mate.

#32 KAPAX1918

KAPAX1918

Posted 06 January 2012 - 19:35

Hello,

Mission 14 recon with spad XIII.
My question is not directly related to the campaign. It is more a general recon question.

When the recon icon appears, I have difficulties to read the text (contrast too low on my screen).
Is it possible to magnify the text or to have a better contrast ?
More annoying, I cannot pause the game while I read and try to check something. Is it possible to pause and to have time to read and check the note ?

Thank You and Happy New Year 2012

S!

#33 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 13:18

In the third mission, the friend AI flow over the ballons while the enemy planes shot down the ballons without attack them.

Salut, hi, I've just noticed that too. Even when a message appears "A German balloon has been shot down", they didn't react. I decided to attack the escaping SPADs, and managed to damage one of them, and finally destroyed him, but his wingman didn't react either.
Also, even if one ballon has been destroyed, the results says that they have been succesfully protected.

I'm only at mission 4, but for the moment, I like this campaign! :S!:

Edit: Mission4 worked correctly, we attacked bombers, and I've been hit & wounded, got to glide to Mars-la-Tour, just to see the base destroyed in front of my eyes as I was trying to land!

515024ActionjoeScreen.jpg

#34 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:50

Hi Vander,
I got a problem with the mission 22.
I've done the mission 21 and now the mision 22 is yellow in the menu and the box "begin the mission" is ok. But when i try it i got a 10020 error "cette mission n'est pas disponible pour votre compte" that mean (i try to translate) " this mission is not available for your account".

Dodo

Dodo
Problem fixed by the developers, mission #22 can now be flown

#35 elephant

elephant

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:29

I'm still at the Spad recon mission…
One minor thing I want to report is the use of an unhistorical for the period skin for the DFW C.V.
In the Jasta 65 mission, where you have to escort the two seater back home,
the late 1916 early 1917 skin for September '18, is an immersion killer… :roll:

Attached File  rof 2012-01-02 14-02-46-72.jpg   150.2KB   335 downloads

Also about the Albatros skins used…
although (technically) beautifully crafted,
have some manufacturer's characteristics mixed up… :?
But I'm going to make a special thread in the skins section on this.

:S!:

#36 Dodo974

Dodo974

Posted 08 January 2012 - 16:12

Hi Vander,
One good news, one bad….
The good one is the mission 22 is unlock now i can fly it thx :))))
The bad now : is i always freeze during this mission …
1) The game is ok at start, take off ok, and patrol ok, but after the first combat (i dont want to made a spoiler) when i engage the second combat the game shutter then stop.
2) i disable my trackIR same result
3) i upgrade all the skinpack same result
4) i reduce my graphing setting to 33% (about) same result
When i fly the next mission 23 (in spad) all is ok, no shutter.
Strange no ?
If u want my PC settings i cant post here
Dodo

#37 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2012 - 16:25

Can someone else confirm the mission freeze in #22? (Just to make sure it's independent of User configuration). And yes, please post system specs!

#38 Dodo974

Dodo974

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:14

ok this is my system specs

Attached Files

#39 Dodo974

Dodo974

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:15

but sorry in french…
Dodo

#40 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 09 January 2012 - 00:15

No problems with #22 for me after the fix and I flew it a couple of times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users