Photo
- - - - -

The Big Wishlist

• Please log in to reply
608 replies to this topic

#81 drtchock

drtchock

Posted 28 August 2009 - 20:47

im not asking too much, but the only thing bugging me about the game is the single player Career mode.. it has no atmosphere and feels completely flat as if your just doing a 'quick mission' option one after the other.. you should get to know your wingmen, feel like your contributing to the war effort, and there should be atmosphere! maybe even hang out in the squadron mess inbetween missions instead of just getting a 'next mission' screen… a great game to look at that does it brilliantly, and im aware its a game, not a simulation.. the old 'WINGS' game on the Amiga.. that has so much atmosphere and tells a story.

not sure how to put all that in your list but perhaps..

Singleplayer:

Career Mode: More indepth and atmospheric, getting to know your wingmen and others in your squadron.

#82 pakfront

pakfront

Posted 28 August 2009 - 21:41

Mission results text file saved after each mission (SP and MP). Records stats of all planes and pilots in CSV or other machine parsable format. somethign like:
Pilot name, time aloft, foe hits, friendly fire hits, foe kills (plane,balloon, etc.), status at mission end (flying, landed in firendly territory, landed in noman's, landed in enemy territory, killed)

Needed if a 3rd party campaign has any chance of happening, and useful for personal recoding of stats or squadron stats

#83 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 28 August 2009 - 22:04

Some more SP suggestions…

These were in the OP, but …
Career is dynamic - moving front line, mission results have a local effect only
AI gunnery skills toned down/made more "human"
- Sniper AI OK for single missions but will make careers unplayable.

Some that were not in the OP:
Persistent AI squad mates with names and records of their own.
AI squad mates start at "low" and improve over time.
AI has a sense of self preservation. Tries to escape when damaged or outnumbered.
Mission tempo matches historical battles.
Planes are introduced in a historically accurate manner.
Paint schemes change in a historically accurate manner.
Variants are introduced in a historically accurate manner.
Promotions over time.
Ability to lead squads.
Ability to choose starting rank.
Human readable mission results file.
Ability to create and introduce paint schemes without Neoqb involvement.

Gotta go. More later.

#84 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 28 August 2009 - 22:16

Ok everyone, take a look at the list on the first page. If you think I missed something very important that isn't too detail-minded (remember, looking for general ideas, not specific fixes/changes) or if I put something in the list that is unclear or needs rephrasing, please post your thoughts.

The list is nearing completion and starting next week, we start picking this beast apart.

#85 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 28 August 2009 - 22:49

Ok everyone, take a look at the list on the first page. If you think I missed something very important that isn't too detail-minded (remember, looking for general ideas, not specific fixes/changes) or if I put something in the list that is unclear or needs rephrasing, please post your thoughts.

The list is nearing completion and starting next week, we start picking this beast apart.

In game Chat bug fixed (you loose ability to chat unless you restart the game)

In game voice comms to team mates (instead of us having to run teamspeak in the background)

Option to send messages to ALL or to TEAM

A ALT+? to finish mission without pressing escape and clicking

Trees are all the same, this is very boring more trees

The terrain is flat, Give us some hills

Smoke and Flame effect seems very lame, can this be enhanced

Hard Crashes should burst the fuel tank making it go up in flames, and the plane should break up more.

#86 vowthyn

vowthyn

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:09

Lock the external views for players in multiplayer (add this as an option for hosting person). This is to avoid cheating (much larger field of view in an outside view). They should be available only in spectator mode, or after one has been shoot down.

#87 Yellow_Sub

Yellow_Sub

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:31

1a. If your fly over an enemy airfield / industrial complex there should be a siren.
1b. If you fly over an enemy town (with a church)church bells should ring.
(might be unhistorical but it adds life to the sim)

2. Give us the a list of the current(historical) aces accessible in the carer screen (kills and historical list positions according to current mission date. After their (historical correct) death, dead aces should be crossed out.
Put the Players name on that list if he has got enough kills.

3. If you could add hundreds of of small man storming across the front lines from time to time (like in RB3D) that would add much to the atmosphere. They don't need to be high poly models should just look believable from afar.

4. Ability to record tracks. (like in IL2 or maybe better :))

5. Ability to benchmark or an external RoF benchmark so we know which
hardware to get.

6. Is there a difference in the sound of the german and the british/french machine guns? In the outside view the mg of the Pfalz DIIIa and of the S.E.5a sound the same to me. I think Flying Corps from Rowan Software, if anyone can remember that one, had different sounds for both sides, maybe their actual mg sounds. I really loved that feature, because alone by the sound you could tell who was shooting on who , which came very handy in dogfights. If this is an realistic feature maybe you can add it.

#88 Dunkers

Dunkers

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:28

4. Ability to record tracks. (like in IL2 or maybe better )

Oh yes!!! Essential.

Plus in-game fps meter.

:cheers:

#89 PeterGrozni

PeterGrozni

Posted 29 August 2009 - 16:26

I've read quickly through the thread, I apologize if I have ideas already expressed or if they're too detailed.

GAMEPLAY:
- penalties for intentional friendly fire, with ban for a limited time up to disableing his/her account completely
- fix player status recording on mission end: killed, crashed, captured etc. (never seen a captured one and kills are very often not recorded even if the killed pilot didn't press „finish mission“)
- disableing „finish mission“ exploit people use to avoid being shot down and killed (so they don't lose the kill streak)
- disable/fix the „screenshot“ exploit which makes an aircraft warp in a MP game (either add a reasonable delay for screenshots or allow them only for spectators)
- automatically count crashed or landed pilots as if they pressed „finish mission“ so to avoid waiting 1 h for some people to click „finish mission“ and let us fly on
- option to disable external view completely
- option to disable external view for those flying only
- option to count victories as in RL (ie. Germans could get confirmed victories only if over their territory iirc)
- ability of the game to detect „maneuver kills“
- mission/server predefined weapon loadouts and fuel loadouts

FM/DM:
- overspeeding structural failures (right now we can lose wings only from over-G-ing the aircraft)
- damage from powering to max a cold engine (haven't noticed any special problem if you take off with cold engine, you just seem to have a little bit less power)
- a bit more resilient Baloons

NET CODE:
- fix collision detection in MP where the one causing the collision would leave undamaged and the victim would be destroyed

GUI:
- show chat in all windows/menus in MP
- option to hide chat (can be very annoying in a fight)
- option for player to disable statistics for him/her - SP, MP or both
- improve performance of GUI (displaying „Ban pilot“ menu really kills my frame rate)
- more information on hosted games (actually available type of aircraft for the currently loaded mission on a server and ACTUAL number of people joined in a game, not only those flying as it is atm…)

GRAPHICS:
- implementation of a „colored“ dot (based on weather and/or distance) system drawn up to a realistic distance where the aircraft could be still spotted (different for different AC - ie, for smaller aircraft the dot is drawn to a shorter distance) to extend a bit maximum spotting distance. Current is a bit too short.
- fix inaccuracies and missing options in aircraft… wires, gunsights, instruments etc.
- improve clouds
- what's with the huge dust cloud over the front? In WW1 pics I've seen only smoke from artillery attacks. What we have seems like a constant cloud hanging over the front.

Cheers

#90 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 August 2009 - 18:56

Last post brings some VERY good points forward.

#91 vowthyn

vowthyn

Posted 30 August 2009 - 17:51

Info about server difficulty settings should be visible in the lobby before entering it. Right now we often have to wait for the connection to server just to find out, that ie. it has arcade dificulty setting which doesn't suit us, so we have to leave and enter the next one to check its settings etc. etc… It would be easier (and faster) if there were some kind of info available just after pointig the server on the list.

#92 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:13

Fokker DV.II Climb Rate to be modified

http://riseofflight....er DV.II#p23716">viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2711&p=23716&hilit=fokker+DV.II#p23716

http://riseofflight....&p=23715#p23715">viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2151&p=23715#p23715

#93 ICDP

ICDP

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:48

SE5a fixed gunsights with Aldis.

Nieuport 28 to start first time (like all other aircraft). If we are going to have individual plane specific issues then why does the Spad XIII engine not fail 2 out of every three flights? Or why does the Fokker D.VII not have random ammo fires, or why does the Albatros dive so well?

Proper performance stats for the Fokker D.VII with DIIIau overcompressed engine, do not use suspect French data, use proper German data.

Improved career missions with ALL mission specific objects loaded at the start of the mission. Introduce random enemy caps/patrols appearing as you fly into enemy patrols areas, over airfields or over factories etc. Even these two changes would make a dramatic improvement over the current poor career missions.

DF server mode and the ablility for hosts/admins to kick morons form their server.

Fix the Force Feedback TrackIR stutter bug.

The ability to change graphic/control options in sim.

When selecting your career remove the plane specific career selection. Have a player select his Nation, then the year and finally have the available aircraft he/she can fly. As more planes are added the current system will become very very unwieldy and cumbersome to use. Imagine when RoF has dozens or even scores of aircraft to fly.

#94 ICDP

ICDP

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:50

Remove the ability for people to join an already full server. Once the allotted number of players are in the server remove the join server option, or do the same aas in IL2 and kick them as they try to join.

#95 Leaf85

Leaf85

Posted 31 August 2009 - 16:53

Couple more suggestions from me (possibly/likely already suggested):

1. Add winch trucks to the sausage balloons so they can be pulled down quickly.

2. added variable loadouts/armament where appropriate- like a wing mounted Lewis on the N17- chooseable from the hangar, and game memory of your choices (incl. convergence, skin)

3. expand map to include Channel and sea so Naval Sqdns can be further missioned

4. develop a MMOG version…

Attached Files

#96 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 31 August 2009 - 17:41

Add a compass "widget", just like the map. So I can press e.g. "c" and have the compass appear on the screen and stay in view.

Also, the cockpit textures should always be loaded in at least medium quality, regardless of the overall texture quality settings for the engine. You literally can not read the instruments when using low-quality textures.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#97 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 31 August 2009 - 18:34

I've read quickly through the thread, I apologize if I have ideas already expressed or if they're too detailed.

GAMEPLAY:
- penalties for intentional friendly fire, with ban for a limited time up to disableing his/her account completely

not sure how this can be implemented as algorithm

- fix player status recording on mission end: killed, crashed, captured etc. (never seen a captured one and kills are very often not recorded even if the killed pilot didn't press „finish mission“)
- disableing „finish mission“ exploit people use to avoid being shot down and killed (so they don't lose the kill streak)
- disable/fix the „screenshot“ exploit which makes an aircraft warp in a MP game (either add a reasonable delay for screenshots or allow them only for spectators)
- automatically count crashed or landed pilots as if they pressed „finish mission“ so to avoid waiting 1 h for some people to click „finish mission“ and let us fly on
- option to disable external view completely
- option to disable external view for those flying only
- option to count victories as in RL (ie. Germans could get confirmed victories only if over their territory iirc)

these would be great if implemented. I want to emphasize the need of switching off external views for dogfight mode particularly (but coop mode too).

- ability of the game to detect „maneuver kills“

not sure either if there's an algorithm that can clearly tell a maneuver kill from an ordinary crash. And we don't want kill multiplication just because an e/a crashed in the vicinity. Btw WHO would get THAT kill?

- mission/server predefined weapon loadouts and fuel loadouts

FM/DM:
- overspeeding structural failures (right now we can lose wings only from over-G-ing the aircraft)
- damage from powering to max a cold engine (haven't noticed any special problem if you take off with cold engine, you just seem to have a little bit less power)
- a bit more resilient Baloons

NET CODE:
- fix collision detection in MP where the one causing the collision would leave undamaged and the victim would be destroyed

GUI:
- show chat in all windows/menus in MP
- option to hide chat (can be very annoying in a fight)
- option for player to disable statistics for him/her - SP, MP or both
- improve performance of GUI (displaying „Ban pilot“ menu really kills my frame rate)
- more information on hosted games (actually available type of aircraft for the currently loaded mission on a server and ACTUAL number of people joined in a game, not only those flying as it is atm…)

GRAPHICS:
- implementation of a „colored“ dot (based on weather and/or distance) system drawn up to a realistic distance where the aircraft could be still spotted (different for different AC - ie, for smaller aircraft the dot is drawn to a shorter distance) to extend a bit maximum spotting distance. Current is a bit too short.
- fix inaccuracies and missing options in aircraft… wires, gunsights, instruments etc.
- improve clouds
- what's with the huge dust cloud over the front? In WW1 pics I've seen only smoke from artillery attacks. What we have seems like a constant cloud hanging over the front.

Cheers

And: customized skin is a must have. Almost as big as real dogfight mode ;)

#98 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 31 August 2009 - 20:01

Well, I do assume the game is keeping track of whose bullets hit what aircraft.

With this in mind, a friendly fire option shouldn't be too hard.

#99 CFS_EAGLE_03/Tinytacohead

CFS_EAGLE_03/Tinytacohead

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:02

…a great game to look at that does it brilliantly, and im aware its a game, not a simulation.. the old 'WINGS' game on the Amiga.. that has so much atmosphere and tells a story…

YESS!! Wings is the sole game responsible for my getting into flight simulation, and WW1 being my favorite era. (next came Jane's stuff, also on my modded Amiga 2000, but WW1's always been my main interest) :D The atmosphere from that game was top notch, (even better than the RB series IMO), though didn't do much for the replay factor. (that didn't keep me from playing through the whole war over and over again though, hehe) I actually learned a good bit about WW1 from that game and still have it/the factual book that came with. I don't really expect them to, but if the developers want to check it out in depth, they'll either need a verrry old computer, or the disk image and an emulator. The disk image can be found here:

http://www.cinemawar....asp?sel=screen">http://www.cinemawar....asp?sel=screen

Can't find my link for a good emulator, but shouldn't be hard to find with Google. Also had a good writeup about the game that could be very useful, but unfortunately can't find the link for it right now either. :?

#100 Voidhunger

Voidhunger

Posted 01 September 2009 - 15:11

It would be nice:
if the selection (e.g. guns, fuel) you made in a hangar remained the same when you have to
repeat the mission.
if the sound of bullets hitting the cockpit or upper wing was better heard.
if there were random failures in aircraft. ( motor, wings broken in albatros, Dr.1
or D.VIII and also in allied planes…)

Why do the bullets ricochet off the water?
When I quit the game, the Rof lancher screen sometimes remains on the desktop.
When the depth of field option is enabled, the external view is sometimes unfocused.
So the external view is useless.

#101 ThomasAH

ThomasAH

Posted 01 September 2009 - 18:00

General:
Download updates while being able to play

I ordered RoF on Thursday, it got delivered yesterday.
Installed it yesterday evening (in the short time after getting my son to bed before having to go to bed myself), then it started downloading 600MB of updates.
After it was finished I only had time to hurry through the first tutorial mission.

Today I thought I could start right away, but then:
Hey new update … 200MB coming in at about 700kbit/s (on a 4mbit/s line in Germany)
Ok, this gives me some time to look at the forum, but I hoped to do something else.

I'm not sure about the details, but being able to play (at least single player) if one just updated yesterday sounds useful to me. Additionally being able to defer the download of updates for some (e.g. at most 3) days might lessen the load on the update servers so they can deliver more than 700kbit/s.

Now update is at 52% and I have to go to sleep in much less than an hour … too bad.

Attached Files

#102 winger2

winger2

Posted 01 September 2009 - 20:21

- More debris/small pieces of broken airplane falling off the plane i shoot at so i have better feedback if i am currently hitting or not.
- Make the visuals of the combat more "dirty".
- If engine gets hit lets it bleed oil and decrease visibility because of oil all over the windshield or something like that.
- Let the pilot bleed when he got hit. maybe bloodstains on the rear plane body. Intensity dependant on how heavy the pilot got hit.
- also make the plane harder to control dependant on how hard the pilot got hit. I mean I think its hard to steer a plane with one or more bullets in your stomach - eh?

Winger

#103 Sentonal

Sentonal

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:31

If you point your icon to ROF.exe instead of ROF_UPDATER.exe You can play the game without checking for updates. The ROF_UPDATER.exe really shouldnt be the default icon to launch the game in fact its kind of odd for a game to do that. But then again, I dont mind cause I like the quick update check every time… so I have decided to leave it as ROF_UPDATER.exe. I would add the installer correction to the wish list, along with being able to map the zoom to an axis if that hasn't been added.

Also, would have been nice to PM this to ThomasAH as a forum suggestion.

#104 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:49

Pilot Blackouts is a BAD IDEA. If you black out in a plane that can only pull 5 Gs for .5 seconds, you need to go to the gym!

A=V^2/r

that is acceleration (in Ft per second) equals Velocity (in feet per second) squared, divided by radius (in feet) of the turn circle.

so a plane traveling at 100 mph goes into a break turn with 150 ft radius, he will instantaneously pull 4.3 Gs. BUT he will immediately lose airspeed so his G will Only decrease from 4.3. 4.3 Gs will not black out 90% (i made that number up, but suffice to say MOST) of people who do not even perform a G strain.

Do not implement Pilot Blackouts!

#105 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:52

Fire should not ALWAYS kill your pilot. Some pilots were shot down in flames (reference MvR kill 79 or 78) BUT they landed/crashed in time to survive the inferno…

#106 vowthyn

vowthyn

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:03

About updates system - it's suitable solution for people who has the game up&running, but in the near future it can become real pain in the ass for people who has just bought the game or had to reinstall it for some reason. If developement of the updates will continue the person who has fresh installation will have to download 2-3Gb updates before he can start playing. There should be some option to save local content of the game we have installed, so after reinstallation there were no need to download all the updates again (which we already have on our hard drive).

#107 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:57

vowthyn
+1

#108 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:27

vowthyn +1

#109 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 02 September 2009 - 16:22

If you point your icon to ROF.exe instead of ROF_UPDATER.exe You can play the game without checking for updates. The ROF_UPDATER.exe really shouldnt be the default icon to launch the game in fact its kind of odd for a game to do that. But then again, I dont mind cause I like the quick update check every time… so I have decided to leave it as ROF_UPDATER.exe. I would add the installer correction to the wish list, along with being able to map the zoom to an axis if that hasn't been added.

Also, would have been nice to PM this to ThomasAH as a forum suggestion.

Odd? Not really. Makes perfect sense when you consider that a large part of the game's target audience will want to play online, and unless you're playing the latest version you won't be able to log into dedicated servers.

It also ensures that everyone gets bug fixes and updates as soon as they're sorted, without having to go to third-party websites of unknown reliability, and allows Neoqb to add AI planes quickly and simply, expanding the game without much hassle to the end-user.

From their point of view, it means that they can release updates and patches more often, because they know that all players will receive it, and prevents the *really* annoying problem of having to provide:

1.000 to 1.006 patch
1.001 to 1.006 patch
1.002 to 1.006 patch
1.00… you get the idea - they can simply provide incremental updates because they know everyone will have automatically updated :)

#110 ThomasAH

ThomasAH

Posted 03 September 2009 - 16:19

If you point your icon to ROF.exe instead of ROF_UPDATER.exe You can play the game without checking for updates.

Thanks for this hint!

Though the upgrade is finished now and I enjoyed flying (and crashing) yesterday evening :)

Masaq"]From their point of view, it means that they can release updates and patches more often, because they know that all players will receive it, and prevents the *really* annoying problem of having to provide:

1.000 to 1.006 patch
1.001 to 1.006 patch
1.002 to 1.006 patch
1.00… you get the idea - they can simply provide incremental updates because they know everyone will have automatically updated :)

Being able to update from 1.000 (or any other interim version) to 1.006 is still needed, because it will happen that people install from scratch or do not start RoF(_updater) for a while and therefore miss one or more updates. Of course downloading is easier if you do not have to think about which patches you need. It would still be good if you were able to download them from outside the game, e.g. at your neighbours faster internet connection.

Some years ago when DSL was not yet available I downloaded bigger things (e.g. game patches or demos) to my univeristy account and burned them on CD to carry them home. And there still are many regions without fast internet, even in Germany and near or at the outer regions of cities.

But anyway, I'm fine with the way it is as I knew what to expect. But if you can play while downloading, the user experience is better.

#111 HaJa

HaJa

Posted 03 September 2009 - 16:51

Hi,
very long thread and I can't read it all right now.
I concur with most of the things in the first post.

What I would like right now at the moment is a sensitivity setting for the controls :)

Regards

Haja

#112 vowthyn

vowthyn

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:07

Perhaps this will be better place to ask about it, stethnorun could you please signalize to Neoqb (obviously they don't know it so far) that the in store shopping cart is urgently needed service? There are four additional aircrafts available for purchase and one has to buy each of them in single transaction. It's just sick.

#113 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:14

Neoqb is probably losing some money due to the individual transaction fees charged by the payment gateway as well. It's a stupid system all around. The storefront was rushed out before it was finished. Is that really a surprise to anyone who owns ROF? :?

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#114 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 04 September 2009 - 13:05

Perhaps this will be better place to ask about it, stethnorun could you please signalize to Neoqb (obviously they don't know it so far) that the in store shopping cart is urgently needed service? There are four additional aircrafts available for purchase and one has to buy each of them in single transaction. It's just sick.

Looking into that question right now for you…I'll let you know if/when I get an answer. But this is really a question about the website, not the game per se. So I'm not going to put it on the list.

*UPDATE* I have just received official word that it is "coming soon". So there ya go.

Attached Files

#115 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 04 September 2009 - 13:08

Pilot Blackouts is a BAD IDEA. If you black out in a plane that can only pull 5 Gs for .5 seconds, you need to go to the gym!

A=V^2/r

that is acceleration (in Ft per second) equals Velocity (in feet per second) squared, divided by radius (in feet) of the turn circle.

so a plane traveling at 100 mph goes into a break turn with 150 ft radius, he will instantaneously pull 4.3 Gs. BUT he will immediately lose airspeed so his G will Only decrease from 4.3. 4.3 Gs will not black out 90% (i made that number up, but suffice to say MOST) of people who do not even perform a G strain.

Do not implement Pilot Blackouts!

Well how can I argue with math?!?!? Ok so blackouts are iffy. I'm taking them off unless there is MASSIVE public outrage.

#116 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 04 September 2009 - 13:26

WINDSOCKS that work!

#117 vowthyn

vowthyn

Posted 04 September 2009 - 13:38

*UPDATE* I have just received official word that it is "coming soon". So there ya go.

Thank you very much for your fast reply. Especially that it is first official (or very close to it) statement on that matter. Good to know that they are doing something about it, I can't wait to try Pfalz, SE5a and DIII, but will buy them only when shopping cart is finally available. Right now for me it's first needed feature from Neoqb. The second badly wanted is restriction for external views in multiplayer. The rest of the bugs/lack of features I can live with for some time.

#118 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:36

This game is meant to be all about multiplayer but the demo doesn't let you try… so please add to the list MP Demo even if its only one map, or one plane.

#119 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 06 September 2009 - 13:27

This game is meant to be all about multiplayer but the demo doesn't let you try… so please add to the list MP Demo even if its only one map, or one plane.

Quick correction: game is not just "meant to be all about multiplayer". I can't go into specifics, but just trust me on that. All aspects of the game are important to neoqb, including the singleplayer aspects.

#120 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 06 September 2009 - 13:58

I can't go into specifics, but just trust me on that.

I don't think it's top secret to state that the single player aspect of ROF is being worked on. And I don't think it helps neoqb to keep quiet on that. These improvements have to be a fair way down the track, after all, given their scope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users