• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#321 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:30

The stock game sounds are awful. :S!:

Either you're using a really lousy set of speakers or headphones or you're just trolling. Either way, the gun sounds are not even close to sounding awful.

#322 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:00

Either you're using a really lousy set of speakers or headphones or you're just trolling. Either way, the gun sounds are not even close to sounding awful.

When you have several types of gun (admittedly all using the same basic maxim-type weapon) using the same sounds that all vaguely resemble the .22 marlin model 60 I was given in youth then there is an awfully big problem.

#323 ZachariasX

ZachariasX

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:33

When you have several types of gun (admittedly all using the same basic maxim-type weapon) using the same sounds that all vaguely resemble the .22 marlin model 60 I was given in youth then there is an awfully big problem.

Can you provide sound samples of the Maxim's, Lewis etc. guns? You seem to know them well.

If not, it would be more imersive to add a scream of a pilot in a plane that is on fire, or that even bails out and plummets to death. Remember RB2? (I'm sure that kind of gore would impact the rating of the game: War itself is fine, PG13. But screaming: 18+) ;)

I'd rather have a new (preferably early) plane for the game if 777 has further ressources for RoF.

#324 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:44

Can you provide sound samples of the Maxim's, Lewis etc. guns? You seem to know them well.

If not, it would be more imersive to add a scream of a pilot in a plane that is on fire, or that even bails out and plummets to death. Remember RB2? (I'm sure that kind of gore would impact the rating of the game: War itself is fine, PG13. But screaming: 18+) ;)

I'd rather have a new (preferably early) plane for the game if 777 has further ressources for RoF.

Unfortunately I cannot, thankfully we have someone who already has!
And I like the screaming idea, along with one shot kills to the pilot.

#325 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:03

:lol: Oh, please. You really think the guns sound like a .22?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing the same game as everyone else here.

#326 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 September 2014 - 13:22

Apparently not, because the game you play is perfect :lol:

The gun sounds in the game don't do justice to their real world counterparts (along with all the other sounds). If you absolutely LOVE everything about RoF, nobody is stopping you from doing so… but I used this mod while it lasted and liked it quite a bit more than the default sounds. :S!:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#327 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 01 September 2014 - 13:52

The gun sounds in the game don't do justice to their real world counterparts
And you know this how? Have you flown a Sopwith firing live ammo?
I personally don't know what the real guns sound like,and none does. I do know this the sounds of the guns in the cockpit are different than outside the cockpit, and that's good enough for me.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#328 Ghost_666

Ghost_666

Posted 01 September 2014 - 14:06

:S!: As a 20 year (combat) vet, I found that gun fire in combat dose not sound the same as weapons fire on the range. And with the sound of the engine and the wind, not to mention your heart beat (this can be really load in combat) I'm thinking the sound would be highly muted.
So I'm happy with the sound in ROF. :x

Circling, Circling, in the sun.  Desperately trying to use my gun.  Up and down and around about.  Left and right I through my Scout.  When I had that Hun, on the run.  My little Newport she spun.  Down and down, with speed I went.  Into the ground, without wings I was sent.  In the mess the empty chair is set.  My flying time is spent.

#329 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 01 September 2014 - 15:58

To test this you need a room with a window. Haul your PC there. Play the game and prior to taking off, start your engine and crank up the volume until you can't hear yourself speak. Try if you can hear your roommate, girlfriend or wife shouting. If not, good. Next, shoot and watch the window explode off the building.

If your guns sound like .22s, then your engine sounds like a scooter. My advice is headset that can handle bass.

#330 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 September 2014 - 17:04

If your guns sound like .22s, then your engine sounds like a scooter. My advice is headset that can handle bass.

Volume & tone aren't the same thing.

#331 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 23:56

:S!: As a 20 year (combat) vet, I found that gun fire in combat dose not sound the same as weapons fire on the range. And with the sound of the engine and the wind, not to mention your heart beat (this can be really load in combat) I'm thinking the sound would be highly muted.
So I'm happy with the sound in ROF. :x

Lots of civies here have experience with automatic weapons as well. Some with more than me as a lowly mech/motorized grunt of various responsibilities.

Now someone else nailed it, it's all about tone and the current sounds don't have it. Gun sounds anyway. No issue with the others.

#332 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 00:00

Uwe_W. and you flew WW1 fighters and know the tone?

#333 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 September 2014 - 00:06

Uwe_W. and you flew WW1 fighters and know the tone?

A Vickers is gonna' sound like a Vickers whether it's 8,000' up in the air or 200' down a mineshaft. If you bolt it to an airplane it's going to make the exact same noise as it would if it were on a tripod.

#334 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 00:12

And what makes the Vickers sound different than a Maxim?
Again have you heard a WW1 machine gun behind a roaring engine, with wind in your face?

#335 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 00:31

And what makes the Vickers sound different than a Maxim?
Again have you heard a WW1 machine gun behind a roaring engine, with wind in your face?
Have you?

#336 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 00:35

No I have not but I'm not claiming the gun sound are wrong,or right.What I'm saying is nobody knows what they sound like for sure.

#337 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:11

This is a Vickers Hillbilly, this is what a Vickers .303, the exact same gun that goes onto most of the Entente' aircraft, sounds like.

Here is a Lewis LMG, this is what a Lewis sounds like, Hillbilly, Hillbilly, Hillbilly…. this…is…a…Lewis…LMG… and the sound it makes.

Here is a 8/15 German LMG that you would see on most Central aircraft, this is what it sounds like, it sounds like this, here you go Hillbilly, this is the way the gun sounds.

That's that those guns sound like, they make those noises, they sound like that Hillbilly, those guns sound like that, listen… that's the noise that they make, they sound like that.

#338 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:21

So we should have the echo in game too?
Modern ammo will sound different than ammo used in WW1, and the MG 08/15 in the video is NOT using the 8x57 cartridge.
None knows what the guns sounds like with WIND,ENGINE,and EXHAUST noises. Show Me a video of a WW1 fighter firing the guns.

#339 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:47

That's that those guns sound like, they make those noises, they sound like that Hillbilly, those guns sound like that, listen… that's the noise that they make, they sound like that.
  • On the ground.
  • With modern ammo.
  • With berms & nearby objects causing echoes.
  • With no engine noises or wind.

In other words, I agree entirely with HillBilly's counterargument, and it's what I've been trying to say all along.

#340 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:49

A Vickers is gonna' sound like a Vickers whether it's 8,000' up in the air or 200' down a mineshaft. If you bolt it to an airplane it's going to make the exact same noise as it would if it were on a tripod.

How much experience do you have with firearms, anyways?

#341 FGTH-Fan

FGTH-Fan

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:23

I've read a lot of Books about German WW1-Pilots and their Battles over the Western Front. And everyone of them said that they could hear the Machinegun-Fire in the Air very clear. Of course only for a certain Distance.
Most of them said that it was a well-known "tack-tack-tack-tack" Sound. I don't know how to describe this, my English isn't good enough for this.
I have served 4 Years in the German Army and all I can say is, that you can hear Rifle- and Machinegun-Fire about a Distance of 2-3 Kilometers. Of course without Wind or any other Noises in the Background.

#342 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:58

I've read a lot of Books about German WW1-Pilots and their Battles over the Western Front. And everyone of them said that they could hear the Machinegun-Fire in the Air very clear. Of course only for a certain Distance.

Both Stark and Cecil Lewis wrote that they could hear MG fire in the air. But they would also hear they Doppler effect which changes both the length and pitch of sound waves, which also means that I have no idea how it would sound to them.
Stark wrote that he once mistook the sound of his seatbelt-buckle rattling in the cockpit for an enemy MG and it scared the crap out of him (my description).
Cheers.

#343 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:37

Both Stark and Cecil Lewis wrote that they could hear MG fire in the air. But they would also hear they Doppler effect which changes both the length and pitch of sound waves, which also means that I have no idea how it would sound to them.
Stark wrote that he once mistook the sound of his seatbelt-buckle rattling in the cockpit for an enemy MG and it scared the crap out of him (my description).
Cheers.

Thank you for bringing sanity back to this conversation.

When they were talking about the Doppler effect were they talking about it on their own machineguns or other aircraft? And I think the jingling of a seatbelt buckle much better represents the sound of a WW1 MG then our default sounds do :lol:

#344 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 13:22

Thank you for clearing this up, I rather be insane than ignorant.
Stark wrote that he once mistook the sound of his seatbelt-buckle rattling in the cockpit for an enemy MG
I doubt he mistook it for the sound of a machine gun, but rather the sound of bullets hitting his aircraft. And that would scare the crap out of you.

#345 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 September 2014 - 15:05

Most of them said that it was a well-known "tack-tack-tack-tack" Sound.

Yep! That's almost true! Another testimony from a pilot. Listen! :mrgreen: ak ak ak?

#346 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 September 2014 - 20:59

Please almighty genius, explain the physics behind an engine being attached to a gun making the gun sound different? Because obviously there's something in your infinite wisdom that I'm not comprehending.

#347 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 21:02

Lib now you are just being ugly.

#348 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 September 2014 - 21:22

Because you frustrate me, you've given no evidence to support your claim and keep blabbing the same things over.

I want you to do a test, go ride a bike, go 20 mph, talk, does your voice sound different from standing still? Try sticking your head out the car window at 80, does your voice sound different? Probably not.

You don't seem to understand the difference between VOLUME, TONE, and PITCH, even then none of those will change just because an engine is in front of the gun. As stated earlier you might get a Doppler effect but even that won't make much of a difference being seated a few feet away from the gun at all times. If you actually have a real point try bringing up some actual facts to prove it because as I see it right now you're just babbling on about nothing.

#349 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 September 2014 - 21:36

Lib try reading my post again,I HAVE MADE NO CLAIM.I did not claim the sounds are wrong, nor did I claim the sounds are right. You on the other hand claim they are wrong and offer NO proof.

#350 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 September 2014 - 21:53

I gave you three separate examples of each type of machinegun found on these warbirds, which you immediately disregarded as inaccurate because they weren't strapped to an aircraft. In which I responded with airspeed, and an engine, makes no difference in the sound of the gun, the echo makes no difference in the sound of the gun, the ammo makes a slight difference but not enough to be even close to as off as the sounds we have currently.

#351 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 03 September 2014 - 00:42

Sorry but the tone can be altered by others sounds around like we have in a cockpit.
Addition or subtraction of the frequencies, intensities, generate harmonics, distortions. Sound reflection on the fuselage, cockpit (Frequency of echo). And all of that in a variable pressure environment…
And i don't talk about the binaural beats:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats
Sound science is very complex. But you are probably right.

#352 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:33

I gave you three separate examples of each type of machinegun found on these warbirds, which you immediately disregarded as inaccurate because they weren't strapped to an aircraft. In which I responded with airspeed, and an engine, makes no difference in the sound of the gun, the echo makes no difference in the sound of the gun, the ammo makes a slight difference but not enough to be even close to as off as the sounds we have currently.

Again, I ask you: how much experience do you have with firearms? To say that variables like airspeed, echo, and an engine have no effect on the sound of a gun says to me you have very little experience shooting firearms in different environments.

#353 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:47

And yet you haven't put forth any points at all towards your argument, and have resorted to calling me ignorant, bravo :S!:

#354 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:12

Lib nobody called you ignorant!

#355 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:22

;)

Luke just questioned my experience with WW1 guns which I admit isn't a great deal as you don't see them much anymore, which he is implying I'm ignorant of these old guns (which I am a bit) but the guns really have nothing to do with it. The point is that sound doesn't change no matter what it's coming from just because it's attached to something else, and neither of you have proved me other-wise. GIVE ME SOME ACTUAL FACTS! do a test do SOMETHING! Anybody can sit there and just say "you're wrong" prove me wrong with evidence.

Granted I probably still won't get any and will be greeted with the canned awnser you've been giving me; "you don't know what you're talking about because you didn't fly a WW1 plane"

#356 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:43

The point is that sound doesn't change no matter what it's coming from just because it's attached to something else

The point you don't seem to be grasping is that it isn't the sound of the guns that changes, it's the sound of the guns that you actually hear that changes. A gun on a relatively quiet firing range sound very different to someone nearby than a gun on a WW1 aircraft because of all the other sounds that are involved.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#357 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:41

The point is that sound doesn't change no matter what it's coming from just because it's attached to something else
That is the point! A gun attached to a big plywood or canvas box is going to resonate the mechanical sounds of the gun and not the muzzle report. Then add the engine,wind noise which will blend and subdue the muzzle report.
Now you want proof, I can not prove it and you can not disprove it. But i'm not presenting the mind set that( I think the gun sounds in ROF are wrong, therefor they are wrong )

Just a side note. If I started calling people names there would be no doubt about it, it would get this thread close and me banned.

#358 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:02

How about this…if someone comes up with a gun sounds mod we can all listen to it and those who like it can use it, and those who don't like it won't use it :)

#359 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:53

How about this…if someone comes up with a gun sounds mod we can all listen to it and those who like it can use it, and those who don't like it won't use it :)
That is a very good idea,and if you make the MOD modifiable to suit the user, and to be used with mods off mode.

#360 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:44

If anyone's unhappy with the sounds, I can alter the EQ of them, I'm a musician with a home recording studio.
One problem I heard straight away was the sound of ejecting brass. The "tinkle" as a cartridge hits the floor after being ejected. Wouldn't happen in flight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users