Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Realistic gun sounds for Rise of flight

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#281 TheVino3

TheVino3

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:58

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if it sounds a little stupid, but I'm pretty new to this game so hear me out. I'm just a bit at a loss at how I am supposed to install this, I tried replacing the main.fsb files i found in the audio section of 'data' (I backed up of course) but that resulted in a complete mess of the sounds. Do I need to use a mod manager or something similar?

Any help is appreciated, cheers

#282 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:01

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if it sounds a little stupid, but I'm pretty new to this game so hear me out. I'm just a bit at a loss at how I am supposed to install this, I tried replacing the main.fsb files i found in the audio section of 'data' (I backed up of course) but that resulted in a complete mess of the sounds. Do I need to use a mod manager or something similar?

Any help is appreciated, cheers

I am pretty sure that this mod will not work with the present version of ROF. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#283 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:12

The soundmod don't work with the last ROF update(1.024).We'll have to wait for the soundmod updated version.
Rise of Flight/data/audio/audio_hi.

#284 TheVino3

TheVino3

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:32

ah cheers guys. Guess I'll join the queue then! 8-)

#285 Cappy1918

Cappy1918

Posted 27 April 2012 - 18:29

I thought for awhile there that something was amiss in my system. Those gun sounds were realistic and well done. By the way, does anyone know where the rbsim file is for ROF? And is it accessible in ROF? :x

#286 Point=Blank

Point=Blank

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:11

Bump? Will this be updated please?

#287 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:25

Not anytime soon, it seems the author is taking a break right now (maybe some personal issues, he has stopped posting also in French forums)

#288 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:01

I wonder if all you need to do to get it compatible is to put the Halby sounds into the file (somehow, I don't know how) and then try it again…

#289 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:16

I wonder if all you need to do to get it compatible is to put the Halby sounds into the file (somehow, I don't know how) and then try it again…

That I can also answer, it's also a definitive no, the new sounds are packed in a specific order, you cannot just "add" new sounds after the others. You have to take the last main.fsb file, before modifying, not take an older and "put" new sounds in it. Again, these are the words of the mod maker (I'm far from having personnally this kind of knowledge).

#290 Point=Blank

Point=Blank

Posted 23 May 2012 - 13:18

Bump :(

#291 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 13:57

Are you blind? I've already answered three posts above.

#292 Point=Blank

Point=Blank

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:36

No i'm not blind,, thanks for your concern, just wondering if any progress had been made. Is that unreasonable?

#293 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 16:38

Ok, I think you don't understand at all. Maybe my English is very bad, it is possible, it's not my mother tongue.

#294 Morgenrot

Morgenrot

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:36

Thanks to Nix for the mod, very nicely done mon ami!

OK, so I extracted the main.fsb sound file of the latest build with a program called "fsbext" and I can see the gun sounds that Nix modded are:

Lewis_shoot_01(low).wav
Lewis_shoot_02(low).wav
Lewis_shoot_02_out.wav
Lewis_shoot_04.wav
Lewis_shoot_05.wav
Lewis_shoot_06.wav
Lewis_shoot_07.wav
Vickers_shoot_02(low).wav
Vickers_shoot_03(low).wav
Vickers_shoot_04(low).wav
Vickers_shoot_out3.wav
Vickers_shoot_out5.wav

I tried repacking with fsbext but get an error message saying "Error: the file contains unexpected data or is smaller than expected", so I'm guessing I need to remove the headers before repacking, or maybe go about it another way. Anyway I'm working on it - when I figure out how it's done I'll let you know (if someone doesn't beat me to it) :mrgreen:

"the killer skies will get us all" -Hans von Hammer

#295 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 14 June 2012 - 23:52

Godspeed, Ziggy.
I'm another one waiting to use this mod again. Wish you success! :)

#296 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 15 June 2012 - 00:26

I've got a great .wav file for the Spandau/Maxim taken from a WW1 movie. I'd be glad to send it to anyone who can figure out how to get it into the game.

#297 Morgenrot

Morgenrot

Posted 15 June 2012 - 23:18

Thanks Joker I started work but came to a dead end…

If it helps save some time, I found out that:

1) Simply dragging and dropping new .wav's into the audio_hi folder doesn't work. I thought maybe RoF would use them in priority over the ones packed inside main.fsb - haha how easy it would be if it was that simple! - sadly it doesn't work that way; they must be repacked into main.fsb (FMOD format).

2) You could theoretically do it using the 'FMOD Designer' software, but I think you'd have to sit down and re-program all the sound files in the sim individually from scratch? Or not, I'm not quite sure, never used it before… I think you need to have the original template file from the devs themselves? Then, at least, it wouldn't be too difficult. Any dev feel like sharing the sound template file? :mrgreen:

Like I say, I didn't have much luck using the fsbext tool (which would be an infinitely quicker way of doing it) but I'm wondering if he was using an earlier version that did work? Come back Nix and tell us how you repacked it man!

Our quest continues… 8-)

PS: Which film is your .wav from Winston? I'd like to hear it! Would you be kind enough to upload it somewhere so we can have a listen (YouTube, perhaps?) Speaking of YouTube, I meant to say a huge thanks to the gunsmith C2builder for the new sounds in this mod… some nice examples here eh? (as Nix already mentioned) http://www.youtube.com/user/C2builder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/user/C2builder

#298 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 17 June 2012 - 00:45

Can't remember which old movie this was taken from as a friend sent it to me some years ago. I edited it heavily to remove a bit of background noise and then adjusted the tempo to match the actual twin spandau's firing rate. I used to use it as my default spandau gun sound in Over Flanders Fields because in that sim it was easy to drop in different .wav files to change sounds. I'm not sure how it would sound integrated into RoF, perhaps some minor sound editing might again be required.

#299 Morgenrot

Morgenrot

Posted 17 June 2012 - 21:55

Thanks for the upload Winston! Can't watch it though; "This video is private, please log in". Sorry to be a hassle. :D

Funny you should mention it, I already used a couple of the .wavs extracted from Nix's mod here in my copy of Over Flanders Fields (after some light editing in Cool Edit Pro). Great minds think alike sir.

Yes, a pity Nix didn't let us know how he repacked main.fsb though. Until we know how to do that, audio mods in RoF are effectively dead eh? Still like you say, his mod is at least good for one thing - the extracted sound footage in the .wavs. 8-)

#300 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:09

Sorry Ziggy, I made the wrong setting on that video. Try it now.

#301 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 03 July 2012 - 19:47

Nice work Hardy_Krueger. I assure you, you didn't come to a dead end and you understood the concept of Fmod modding *shoots himself* more or less.

On the list for recompiling your sound set, just add ".wav" to any file being said too short. For example if the process blocks at "hotchkiss.wav" renaame it "hotchkiss.wav.wav"

To the community: I think i have seen somexhere that 777 has enhanced original sounds? What do you think, do you prefer the new version or mine?

My original aim was to enhance original sounds that i felt unrealistic, If they are now realisitc, updating my mod won't be necessary i think :)

#302 wrong_name_416

wrong_name_416

Posted 03 July 2012 - 19:52

sound like my inboard motor on my boat without oil . :P

#303 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 20:11

Nice work Hardy_Krueger. I assure you, you didn't come to a dead end and you understood the concept of Fmod modding *shoots himself* more or less.

On the list for recompiling your sound set, just add ".wav" to any file being said too short. For example if the process blocks at "hotchkiss.wav" renaame it "hotchkiss.wav.wav"

To the community: I think i have seen somexhere that 777 has enhanced original sounds? What do you think, do you prefer the new version or mine?

My original aim was to enhance original sounds that i felt unrealistic, If they are now realisitc, updating my mod won't be necessary i think :)

I think the new ones are much better. In fact the external gun sounds even sound similar to what you had setup.

#304 Morgenrot

Morgenrot

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:02

Welcome back sir! Thanks for your kind words… all I really wanted to do is understand how to mod the sounds in RoF, as you did. Well, I don't have any plans on doing it right now - as like redpiano says - I agree with him that the new machine gun sounds are indeed better in the newest build. But still, it would be nice to know how you recompiled/repacked the sound set in case we ever want to try different sound samples of our own. So, do we need to use the "Fmod Designer" tool to do that? Or, can we use some other tool, like fsbext? Yes mon ami, I see that some sound samples have different filenames (*.wav.wav doubled extension) after extraction and examination with the fsbext tool, but it is the saving of the new "main.fsb" file which I'm not sure about. Would it be possible for you to do a step-by-step "tutorial" on how to create, repack and save our newly edited main.fsb file sometime? It would be extremely helpful for future reference, thank you!

:)

#305 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:12

I feel sorry to answer you that i won't have the time to do a "step by step" tutorial.

The way i used to mod it was very long and difficult because Fmod creators made it the most hard to mod/hack their stuff so did not find better way to do it. Right now i'm not even remembering it exactly because i haven't touched it since ages.

Some months after i released my mod I have seen on the internet that for some games using Fmod, people had found an easy way to recompile their libraries. I have not the time to test to see if it would have been possible their "simple" way for rise of flight. I'll leave that to future sound modders.

I have not the time and, now that sounds have been improved, motivation so i will probably not release new sound mods anymore :)

#306 Lt.Krueger

Lt.Krueger

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:12

Hello Kameraden!

I Play RoF 2 Weeks ago….bevore, i played Il2 or A-10 usw. RoF is a very nice Simulation but the MG sounds are horror!! Is no one work on a new Sound Mod or reworked this sound mod?? New Sounds make this simulation to reference Nr. 1!!

Greetings

Lt.Krueger

p.s. sorry for my bad english!!

#307 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:36

Well, I wouldn't agree that they… "horror" !? :?
Why…. "horror" in the name of the Lord ? U
sure ? Are you play RoF 4 sure ? Which WWI
or WWII air combat simulation does it better ?
Check your "sound" bar at a start console of
RoF. Maybe you using "low" quality sound. But…
it wasn't… "horror", either way. I would know,
I use low. :lol:

#308 Lt.Krueger

Lt.Krueger

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:31

Hmmm….when i use low quality sound then is the sound of weapons realy better?? What is that for a logic? I test it and then i report here!

#309 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:42

Doh, no!
Just the opposite.

#310 Dietz

Dietz

Posted 05 June 2013 - 17:47

Does this replace mainfsb in all three of the folders in the audio folder?
Thanks!

#311 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 17:54

NO ! Don't use this mod, it was for an old version of ROF, it doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: a moderator should delete the link from the original post, to avoid newcomers to install a mod that will mess with their game.

(kudos for Nicky though, whihc did a great job at the time)

#312 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:30

Done. If it is ever updated to work with the latest version of ROF let me know.

Jason

#313 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:59

Apologies for the necro post, but anyone working on this? Or have the original mod files? I'd love to play with them, might even make them work in the latest update.

#314 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:41

I wish, this mod was fantastic.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#315 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:29

Ive got all the gun sounds extracted and renamed to match those in the stock ROF sound bank (main.fsb)
All stock sounds extracted into a folder, replaced stock gun sounds with these etc. But Im stuck. I dont know how to re-compile all the basic .wav sounds into an fsb file.
This has to be done so I can test it.
Any ideas guys? Ive tried fooling around with FMOD but Ive no use that cant open basic .wav files. seems more than I need.
Suggestions?

#316 FGTH-Fan

FGTH-Fan

Posted 29 August 2014 - 15:01

I've also tried to change these Sounds, but had no luck at all. I beg someone can give some good tipps. I've made a very good Sound Mod for OFF Phase 3 some Years ago in various Versions, and I want to use some of my external Gun sounds.

#317 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 29 August 2014 - 15:11

Honestly, you are far better off with the stock game sounds. This mod uses audio taken ripped from medium-quality (at best) YouTube videos, with all of the problems that come with compression, echoing of the gun sounds off berms & trees, etc.

#318 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:14

The stock game sounds are awful. :S!:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#319 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 21:06

While a agree moat of the stock sounds are fine, the gun sounds are terrible.

#320 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 August 2014 - 21:40

Personally I don't find the stock gun sounds to be anything close to "terrible", but that being said I'd be happy to have some other options to choose from if anybody can figure out how to do that with the current version of the game. Given that we now have several different rates of fire and types of guns available (including mods which vary these rates of fire by time period during the war), and the sounds should vary accordingly, it seems like a lot of work to get it right, but I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone who's interested and has the skills from trying it.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users