Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Realistic gun sounds for Rise of flight

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#201 WWIFlyingAce

WWIFlyingAce

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:26

MJ - If you've never had the wonderful experience of being near an original WWI engine I can't stress to you enough how loud they are - especially the rotarys. You have to remember there are no mufflers on these machines and on the rotarys - absolutely no exhaust system. I would be happy to NOT hear ANY wind sound while sitting in the cockpit and only just slightly while hanging my head outside the area of the windscreen where you would be in the slipstream.

#202 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:52

MJ - If you've never had the wonderful experience of being near an original WWI engine I can't stress to you enough how loud they are - especially the rotarys. You have to remember there are no mufflers on these machines and on the rotarys - absolutely no exhaust system. I would be happy to NOT hear ANY wind sound while sitting in the cockpit and only just slightly while hanging my head outside the area of the windscreen where you would be in the slipstream.

It would be nice, if you, Womenfly2 and all the others with open cockpit experience could help Niky get the sound balance right; for the engine, wind, etc. I don't know what it would sound like, so i can only make guesses, but you, Womenfly2 and others, with in pit experience, can give an authoritative opinion, on the matter.

P.S. I hope to get some time in a biplane, at Old Reinbeck, when the aerodrome is offering flights again. You are a lucky duck, getting flight time in a biplane! It must be a great experience. :D :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#203 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 December 2011 - 22:47

Any news with this mod and 1.023?

Is it still working fine? :?

#204 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 23 December 2011 - 23:51

Yeah, hope you didn't have the predicted problems!

#205 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 December 2011 - 00:53

No, i restaured my stock sounds before update…
But wondering if sound mod still working :? didn't try it.

#206 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:48

Hmm it appears it doesn't, I was running the ai mod and the sound mod before the update, now when I go mods on it crashes on me as soon as I go to load up a quick mission, if I go mods off(where the sound mod worked with mods off) then I just have stock stuff. :?

#207 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:41

I confirm sounds are disordered. Sound mod is not working ATM. :|

EDIT: Haha nice stuff they have added not less than 20 new sounds! :)

#208 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:03

I confirm sounds are disordered. Sound mod is not working ATM. :|

EDIT: Haha nice stuff they have added not less than 20 new sounds! :)

Seems you'll have some hard work soon going on! :mrgreen:
(your previous work was so nice imho…)

What kind of new sounds?

#209 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:07

New flare and Colt sounds are the obvious ones. New sounds in the cutscenes for the Vander-made campaign?

#210 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:32

Uploading the new version 1.231 right now. Repaired version to work on new patch. Will be on in the next hour

Please note that i cannot upload it to mediafire from my computer. If a generous and devoted soul is going to put a mirror, feel free and thanks in advance :)

New flare and Colt sounds are the obvious ones.

Yes, and CLII engine sounds too. Amazing work they do.

#211 O_catarM

O_catarM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:34

excellent Stock sound doesn't cut it anymore

#212 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:29

Download new version 1.231:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S6M0G72K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S6M0G72K

:)

#213 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 24 December 2011 - 15:20

Excellent and quick work Niky! :S!:

#214 Bando

Bando

Posted 24 December 2011 - 17:04

Thanks for this MOD Niky.
Works great and adds to the "being there" feeling.

Bando

#215 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:59

Great job Niky! et joyeux noël!

:x :) :S!:

#216 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:38

Merci :)

#217 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:27

Thank you so much Nicky! I look forward to your future work on this mod or any others, too! :S!: MJ

#218 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:56

I look forward to your future work on this mod or any others, too!

Spad XIII new engine sound! :mrgreen:

#219 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 27 December 2011 - 19:26

I look forward to your future work on this mod or any others, too!

Spad XIII new engine sound! :mrgreen:

I like the new gun sounds but as the wind - I have flown in a few different open cockpit biplanes and I don't recall hearing the wind so much as the engine…
my 2 cents…

From what WWI flying ace mentioned, it seems, unless I am mistaken, that the engine noise of a biplane should be the dominant sound. I wonder if raising the engine sound, within the cockpit, on all of the planes, relative to al the other sounds, would be the most realistic solution for the problem of hearing other machines? After all, I recall reading accounts of pilots being able to hear mgs, below, in the trenches, once their engines cut out, but not before hand. So, if your engine cuts out or you are blipping your engine, it stands to reason that you may hear an oncoming machine, from certain angles and under certain conditions, at least. In any event, Niky should ask open pit pilots, because they can best inform Niky on how to make a definitive final version of his sound mod. :D MJ

p.s. It will be nice to actually hear the SPAD XIII engine, for a change. The SPAD XIII sound, inside the cockpit, always reminds me of listening to the sound of the inside of a seashell or of the sound of crashing waves, while sitting inside an idling car. The sound is almost soothing and makes me sleepy. :lol:

#220 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 28 December 2011 - 15:10

I can't imagine that you could hear anything against the engine in these old biplanes. Even today, in a closed cockpit prop airplane, you have to wear a headset at all times. I've had instances in which my headset broke inflight and I had to scream at the guy next to me for him to hear me.

#221 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:40

While it may be 'unrealistic' I for one would still like to hear at least some wind sounds whistling through the wires and struts. Somehow romantic to me, it just needs to be there.

I haven't looked into the mod folder yet, can/are the various sounds parted out so that we can mix and match? I love the new gun sounds, but as mentioned, don't want to overwhelm wind sound with just engine sounds.

Thanks for hard work and attention to detail!

#222 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:56

Wait a minute, this reminds me… Wasn't it said somewhere before that one of the ways a pilot could tell his airspeed was to listen to the wires and braces whistle? I know I once heard that if the aircraft was going fast enough the wind would whistle around the wires. If that is true then the engine couldn't have blocked absolutely everything out.

#223 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 29 December 2011 - 15:10

Is it just me or does the Spandau sound very "metallic" and "clean"?

#224 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 January 2012 - 00:53

Wait a minute, this reminds me… Wasn't it said somewhere before that one of the ways a pilot could tell his airspeed was to listen to the wires and braces whistle? I know I once heard that if the aircraft was going fast enough the wind would whistle around the wires. If that is true then the engine couldn't have blocked absolutely everything out.

A good point AJ. I wonder if what you were reading had to do with how a pilot could determine speed in a dive and if the machine was throttled down, during the dive or not? This is assuming that the reference was regarding determining speed in a dive. :S!: MJ

#225 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 January 2012 - 19:58

Is it just me or does the Spandau sound very "metallic" and "clean"?

I am not too sure. :S!: MJ

Yes, I am trying to bump this thread, so people can see this cool sound mod and so they can give Niky their input on how to improve it! :lol:

#226 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:40

When will we be seeing the next update with increased engine sounds? Or is that not the plan anymore?

#227 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:20

When will we be seeing the next update with increased engine sounds? Or is that not the plan anymore?

I can understand if for example, this aircraft has lower engine volume that this other, to increase it.

However since engine volume is already what you hear the most in Rof, i don't see the point of increasing it. Wouldn't be simpler to increase your computer's volume?

Is it to much compared to the wind? But i have been asked to increase wind volume.

Is it too much compared with gun sounds? But in this case i prefer lowering gun sounds rather than increasing engine volume.

Please discuss if you agree/desagree but in any case since i don't understand the use of it i won't be doing it unless many people of the community ask for it. :)

#228 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:31

Oh no problem I only thought that you had planned to increase or decrease either wind or engine sound.

#229 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 05 January 2012 - 18:33

Is it to much compared to the wind? But i have been asked to increase wind volume.

Is it too much compared with gun sounds? But in this case i prefer lowering gun sounds rather than increasing engine volume.

Yes that would be realistic. Wind is dominant, than engine and last machine gun.
ATM the mix is quite good, only the guns are a bit too loud (and the Spandau LMG sounds too metallic, needs just a bit of bass increasing)
But great mod so far! :S!:

#230 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 05 January 2012 - 19:45

Yes that would be realistic. Wind is dominant, than engine and last machine gun.
ATM the mix is quite good, only the guns are a bit too loud (and the Spandau LMG sounds too metallic, needs just a bit of bass increasing)
But great mod so far! :S!:

DerMo,
Someone with open cockpit experience suggested that the engine should be the dominant sound.I have no clue, mysrelf, just hunches and assumptions, some assumptions are more equal than others and I have no way to know heads or tails, on this matter. It would be nice if the open cockpit biplane pilots on this forum could pm Niky and give Niky advice on how to get a definitive version of the sound mod. We all appreciate Niky doing this for us. I am sure Niky wants to move on to other projects, sometime soon, so it would be great if the next version could be the best possible version, using the best information. I cannot give any advice, because I have no practical experience in an open cockpit biplane, but there are pilots on the forum and maybe they can help Niky in private or what not? If you have practical open cockpit expeirence, DerMo, maybe you could help Niky get it right? :S!: MJ

#231 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 05 January 2012 - 20:50

A good point AJ. I wonder if what you were reading had to do with how a pilot could determine speed in a dive and if the machine was throttled down, during the dive or not? This is assuming that the reference was regarding determining speed in a dive. :S!: MJ

May have been. If the throttle is closed the engine would be significantly quieter so that might account for hearing the phenomenon. Still, it'd be a cool thing to see in game as right now it isn't modelled.

#232 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 05 January 2012 - 21:17

May have been. If the throttle is closed the engine would be significantly quieter so that might account for hearing the phenomenon. Still, it'd be a cool thing to see in game as right now it isn't modelled.

You bet AJ. It would help us determine how fast we are going, without looking at instruments. There is an RFC pilot interview, floating around Youtube, where the pilot suggested that, after take off, for the duration of the flight, they did not look at their instruments, once! :o :S!: MJ

#233 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 05 January 2012 - 21:23

Hello MJ_Morrow!
Well, i have a bit of experience , also with gyrocopters, where the engine is behind you like in a Dh2.
What we hear in RoF is not what a WW1 pilot would hear, since you really need earplugs unless you want to loose your ability to hear anything at all :xx:
Here is a little vid, showing what to expect.Video taken with handheld camera. Sadly the sound stops after 30sec but it gives you a clue :S!:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … re=related

Greetings, Norman

#234 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 05 January 2012 - 21:42

I have flown in a 1941 Stearman open cockpit biplane and I can confirm 2 things for you hear. 1. The engine is incredible loud, the level is above anything you would want to hear in game. The engine is so loud that I heard nothing over its sound at all( I took off my head/mic set for 5 mins while we were climbing to 3000 and traveling to our aerobatics area). 2. If there is a small windshield and your seat height is adjusted correctly, you hear no wind except if in maneuvers and the throttle is cut drastically. if your head goes above or out of the windshield slipstream then you hear the wind bufetting off your head(& it will beat you to death), basically just like we hear in game now. The one thing I cannot confirm is how loud the guns were. Despite my best efforts of my own machine gun sound effects made with my mouth, practiced extensively since I was a kid, I could not hear them over the roar of the engine. :lol: :lol: :lol: I believe Nicky's sound mod and the in game sounds are a pretty good representation of the balance of sounds we should hear. As an end note, if you ever have the chance to fly open cockpit, especially in a real antique plane, I highly recommend it.

S! Blade<><

#235 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 05 January 2012 - 23:38

Hello MJ_Morrow!
Well, i have a bit of experience , also with gyrocopters, where the engine is behind you like in a Dh2.
What we hear in RoF is not what a WW1 pilot would hear, since you really need earplugs unless you want to loose your ability to hear anything at all :xx:
Here is a little vid, showing what to expect.Video taken with handheld camera. Sadly the sound stops after 30sec but it gives you a clue :S!:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … re=related

Greetings, Norman

Hey Norman, thanks for the reply! Cool video! Is that you flying the Camel? In any event, the effect of earplugs is a great consideration. Yeah, from the video, the wind and the engine really stands out! :D :S!: MJ

#236 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 05 January 2012 - 23:41

I have flown in a 1941 Stearman open cockpit biplane and I can confirm 2 things for you hear. 1. The engine is incredible loud, the level is above anything you would want to hear in game. The engine is so loud that I heard nothing over its sound at all( I took off my head/mic set for 5 mins while we were climbing to 3000 and traveling to our aerobatics area). 2. If there is a small windshield and your seat height is adjusted correctly, you hear no wind except if in maneuvers and the throttle is cut drastically. if your head goes above or out of the windshield slipstream then you hear the wind bufetting off your head(& it will beat you to death), basically just like we hear in game now. The one thing I cannot confirm is how loud the guns were. Despite my best efforts of my own machine gun sound effects made with my mouth, practiced extensively since I was a kid, I could not hear them over the roar of the engine. :lol: :lol: :lol: I believe Nicky's sound mod and the in game sounds are a pretty good representation of the balance of sounds we should hear. As an end note, if you ever have the chance to fly open cockpit, especially in a real antique plane, I highly recommend it.

S! Blade<><

Blademeister,
So, do you think that the sounds around the plane, the external engine sounds should be turned down and the engine sounds, insde the cockpit, for the player plane, turned up a bit? The big consideration, in my mind is drowning out the sound of the approach of other planes in ROF. :S!: MJ

#237 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 23:46

The one thing I cannot confirm is how loud the guns were. Despite my best efforts of my own machine gun sound effects made with my mouth, practiced extensively since I was a kid, I could not hear them over the roar of the engine.

:lol:

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#238 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:36

Well MJ_Morrow, I have given you all the honest facts I can give from my experience. As far as my opinion of ROFs sounds and balance of sound, well what you say is true, if it were truly realistic I don't believe you would here other planes or even guns shooting at you unless they were basically right behind you, and maybe not even then. Maybe you would here the SE5a in a screaming dive coming after you. :x :lol: :x The only time I could think of that you would here much is if you were cruising with the throttle 2/3 or 1/2 throttle maybe, because as I remember on our descent back to the airfield with the engine just above idle it seemed I heard some air turbulence sound.

The balance in the game as it is now is good I believe, maybe a tad higher engine to wind ratio would be good, but it is a fine line. It is just awesome the way they modeled when you move your head from behind the windshield, how the air turbulence around your head sounds. :D I love that and wouldn't want to lose that to more realistic engine sound levels, trust me, it is really loud. A couple of the gun sounds in Nikys file are a little, "in a drum " sounding, but all in all I am quite happy to use his sounds.

I think the sound guys, both 777s and Niky, are on the right track but I have to say I believe they need more bass sound. The N11 comes to mind, such an awesome plane but the engine sounds like it needs some more bass or at least mid range, it sounds a bit like a split tail,a Sheila, it needs some kahunas!!! :lol: :lol: I enjoy the original sound files and I have been flying Nikys sound files and I think both have done a great job. It's all about trial an error I would guess because when is the last time you have heard a good recording of a WWI plane? Most recordings are done with sub pare handheld video recorders and do not give a true representation of the actual sound,and nothing but actually being there and hearing it live can give you a true sense of the real sound, so I implore the 777 sound guy and Niky to keep experimenting and I for one will continue to be a guinea pig until you guys hit that magical combination of virtual realistic sound!!! If there is such a thing?

S! Blade<><

Kind of makes you dizzy, doesn't it ?
/
/
v

Attached Files

#239 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:14

Thanks for your contribution Blade_meister and everyone else. :)

Having more opinions permits getting closer to realism when the sounds are changed.

#240 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 07 January 2012 - 19:50

The PT-17 Stearman has a much larger radial engine than most WWI aircraft, but at 220 HP is at least closer to the late war buses and crates, so your experience should be relatively close if on one extreme of the scale. Perhaps the sounds are about right for earlier A/C then?

Think about trying to balance the wind and engine notes for this one… :shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users