Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Realistic gun sounds for Rise of flight

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#121 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:02

Anyone having ROF master server asking to do a recovery because files not correct after using this mod?

Might not be the mod.. I also installed Microsoft security essentials on the same day maybe that's doing something.

No prob here…

#122 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:24

Anyone having ROF master server asking to do a recovery because files not correct after using this mod?

Might not be the mod.. I also installed Microsoft security essentials on the same day maybe that's doing something.

No prob here…

Thanks, it may have been a temporary master server issue. Seems good now.

#123 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 11 December 2011 - 14:59

I just tried out the new version and believe I found an error:

The left Vickers sound has no echo, but the right Vickers has a noticeable echo. When you fire one bullet from the right Vickers it sounds like two.

#124 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 11 December 2011 - 16:28

I just tried out the new version and believe I found an error:

The left Vickers sound has no echo, but the right Vickers has a noticeable echo. When you fire one bullet from the right Vickers it sounds like two.

Thanks for reporting Gavagai. It is quite possible since both guns use a separate sound. I will study the case when i have the time and correct it.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, nice vid Joe crow! :)

#125 WWIFlyingAce

WWIFlyingAce

Posted 12 December 2011 - 19:22

I have only - and just a few minutes ago - used the 1.1v for the Lewis gun on the N11 so far. I like the sound but I believe compaired to the engine it's too loud.

#126 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 December 2011 - 19:37

I tried them a bit, and I really like them. Especially the external sounds.

I agree that the lewis sounds too loud. Especially in the DH2.

Also, I kinda miss the sound of the mechanics of the vickers. You can hear them in the original sounds (the sound of metal on metal) but not in the new one.

#127 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 12 December 2011 - 20:26

After trying them out for a while I also think that the Lewis is just a little too loud - but not much. Otherwise, I'm very happy with them.

Cheers.

#128 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 12 December 2011 - 21:26

It's noted guys, i will reduce the lewis sound of the next release by 20%. :S!:

#129 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:21

Niky,
I really love your gun sound mod! Any chance of you making a more realistic wind sound mod? Increasing the volume of the wind may make it hard to hear the engines of other planes. It would be a nice realism mod, assuming that boosting the wind is more realistic. :lol: :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#130 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:38

HQ_Jorri: Well in my game i hear the metallic tilting, at least on the last aircraft i flown '(spad13).

Could you please do some kind of recording so that i can figure out? You should normally hear the gunshot AND a metallic tilting.

MJ_Morrow: Sure MJ_Morrow, rising the volume of the wind would be easy provided i can find the sound concerned. This will be my nexT objective, if the community considers it more realistic, i will begin working on that ASAP please post if you agree or desagree. :S!:

20% more volume would be good?

#131 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:41

I would be interested to see how it sounds, I don't personally have a problem with it at the moment though.

#132 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:16

HQ_Jorri: Well in my game i hear the metallic tilting, at least on the last aircraft i flown '(spad13).

Could you please do some kind of recording so that i can figure out? You should normally hear the gunshot AND a metallic tilting.

MJ_Morrow: Sure MJ_Morrow, rising the volume of the wind would be easy provided i can find the sound concerned. This will be my nexT objective, if the community considers it more realistic, i will begin working on that ASAP please post if you agree or desagree. :S!:

20% more volume would be good?

Niky,
I am not too sure what the volume of the wind should be, but there are open cockpit pilots, on the ROF forum, able to speak authoritatively on what the wind sound might be like. I am sure that one of the open cockpit pilots can give a lot of useful feedback. Thank you for taking up refining the cockpit sound environment! :S!: MJ

#133 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 December 2011 - 16:24

Watch in HD for the best sound quality:

#134 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 13 December 2011 - 19:06

Thanks for your video Jorri. You are right the metallic tilting is not enough, kinda. Ok i will look into that and try to make a new version :S!:

#135 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 December 2011 - 19:16

About wind sound, be aware we had a "jet like" sound when Neoqb tried to raise it, long time ago.
Perso i think it's enough loud. But if some want more, a seperate wind sound mod would be fine.

#136 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 December 2011 - 20:34

Thanks for your efforts, Niky!

#137 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 December 2011 - 22:56

Perso i think it's enough loud. But if some want more, a seperate wind sound mod would be fine.

Well, in second sound mod, it's true the wind sound is very decreased…i didn't realised it at first.
Thanks for adjusting it :S!:

#138 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 14 December 2011 - 00:11

I like them, but I find the external sound a bit to high? Anyone else?

#139 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:20

+1

#140 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:40

Niky,
I can't wait to hear the good word on the next sound mod patch! :D :S!: MJ

#141 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:52

Hearing is very subjective. We don't all hear the same frequency ranges, particularly at the high end where it is much more sensitive in the young, so it's not surprising that people usually disagree in what they actually hear.

Turning up the wind sound has the same effect as turning down all the other sounds by an equivalent amount, including the guns, so don't be surprised if there is a strong disagreement about the result. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't give it a try. :D
Cheers Niky.

#142 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 14 December 2011 - 22:00

Hearing is very subjective. We don't all hear the same frequency ranges, particularly at the high end where it is much more sensitive in the young, so it's not surprising that people usually disagree in what they actually hear.

Turning up the wind sound has the same effect as turning down all the other sounds by an equivalent amount, including the guns, so don't be surprised if there is a strong disagreement about the result. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't give it a try. :D
Cheers Niky.

It is funny, someone mentioned that the wind, used in a patch, some time ago, sounded like a jet and I saw footage where the sound of the air did come across as sounding like, what I imagine, some jets might sound like, at least in Hollywood movies. :lol: :S!: MJ

Here is the video:

#143 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 December 2011 - 22:24

Cool video MJ, I'm getting sick just watching it :xx: I think the wind would be nice to make it realistic for certain planes like make it louder for ones without a windshield.

Nice signature by the way :D

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#144 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 December 2011 - 22:40

I tried it some more on our public server and I agree that the external sound is a bit too high!

#145 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 December 2011 - 22:43

Never compare the volume of the wind with video footage…those microphones really can't capture it proberly and too much wind will just ruin the whole sound recording.

#146 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 15 December 2011 - 00:59

Never compare the volume of the wind with video footage…those microphones really can't capture it proberly and too much wind will just ruin the whole sound recording.

Jorri,
Yes, I imagine that there are limits to microphones and that the microphone can't capture the sound of the wind, not perfectly so, Jorri. Still, I imagine that the sound of wind can be a particularly dominant sound in an open cockpit plane and that there will be some great benefits to altering the sound mix, such that the wind and the engine of our plane drowns out the external sound of the engines of other machines. I will be interested in hearing open cockpit pilot advice to Niky, when they get to try out the next effort from Niky; so Niky can best capture this sound environment. :S!: MJ

#147 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:10

Nice signature by the way :D

:lol: I was wondering if you would recognize the signature! :D :S!: MJ

#148 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 15 December 2011 - 16:55

Tried loading the sounds…………..no luck, Ive unzipped the file to the proper folder………same old gun sounds :| Any ideas ? :oops: :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#149 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 15 December 2011 - 17:15

OK. I unzipped the file to a temp folder, then moved it to the proper folder in ROF……viola ! Thanks Niky ! works great, i like it :lol: :x :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#150 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 15 December 2011 - 17:44

I've never flown in an open pit plane. I imagine the wind noise is horrendous at 100 MPH (only having a motorcycle to compare) so would you even hear machine guns much at all?

#151 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 15 December 2011 - 21:12

I've never flown in an open pit plane. I imagine the wind noise is horrendous at 100 MPH (only having a motorcycle to compare) so would you even hear machine guns much at all?

Dunno for sure but in some planes your chin is almost touching the breech. I guess if you can hear a M/C engine at 100 mph the chances are pretty good that you would hear a machine gun very close to your head.

#152 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 December 2011 - 00:12

Dunno for sure but in some planes your chin is almost touching the breech. I guess if you can hear a M/C engine at 100 mph the chances are pretty good that you would hear a machine gun very close to your head.

Joecrow,
In ROF, the pits seem big, but when you look at historic film clips, of pilots sitting in their rides, you really get a sense of how small some of the pits really are and how close the pilots are to the windscreen and to their guns. :S!: MJ

Take a look at Rickenbacker in his SPAD 13:

#153 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 December 2011 - 00:15

In ROF, i think the sight view we get is not at the pilot eyes level. It's more at the head center.

#154 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 December 2011 - 00:36

In ROF, i think the sight view we get is not at the pilot eyes level. It's more at the head center.

Yep, I think you are right Fifi. Man, I can't wait for the next update of this sound mod! :D Speaking of interesting, I just noticed, on the Please help with new features localization (FRA, GER, SPA) thread that there will be streamers for the planes, possibly in the next patch!(?) I don't know if there will be actual animated streamers for our planes or what, but, if that is the case, that is freaking cool! :D :S!: MJ

#155 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:38

that there will be streamers for the planes, possibly in the next patch!(?) I don't know if there will be actual animated streamers for our planes or what, but, if that is the case, that is freaking cool!

Yes certainly next patch :D
Of course they will be animated, i can't imagine devs releasing fixed/freezed streamers!
Knowing ROF high standards it will be very cool…

BTW, floating and flapping streamers could open the door to canvas new damage :idea:

#156 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:05

that there will be streamers for the planes, possibly in the next patch!(?) I don't know if there will be actual animated streamers for our planes or what, but, if that is the case, that is freaking cool!

Of course they will be animated, i can't imagine devs releasing fixed/freezed streamers!

BTW, floating and flapping streamers could open the door to canvas new damage :idea:
Wow! The streamers really slipped in under the radar, at least for me. I must have been too knee deep in following the long range sniping and do the Alby justice threads to notice. :lol: :S!: MJ

#157 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:54

Wow! The streamers really slipped in under the radar, at least for me. I must have been too knee deep in following the long range sniping and do the Alby justice threads to notice. :lol: :S!: MJ

I wonder if this bit means we'll be flying to new aerodromes?

Our squadron has been ordered to relocate to $[newAirfield] today. The squadron's pilots have been split into flights and will start their relocation flights with a delay of approximately 1 hour between each other. The first flight is scheduled to leave at sunrise.

#158 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 December 2011 - 18:57

I wonder if we will get an update on the sound mod today? :D I am really looking forward to the sound mod! :P I will have to keep checking here and on Youtube for signs of a new Niky video! :lol: :S!: MJ

#159 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 16 December 2011 - 19:34

I wonder if we will get an update on the sound mod today? :D I am really looking forward to the sound mod! :P I will have to keep checking here and on Youtube for signs of a new Niky video! :lol: :S!: MJ

In career mode it's quite startling to suddenly hear machine guns opening up somewhere close and you're not sure whether it's friend or foe.

#160 Robair

Robair

Posted 16 December 2011 - 19:38

what the heck is that scope sight thingie?…my world has just been turned upside down and i must have!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users