Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Realistic gun sounds for Rise of flight

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#41 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:15

Guys, talking sounds mods, i'm waiting a sound mod for my Spad XIII engine :!: :mrgreen:

#42 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:20

Jorri maybe you didn't read carefully but i thank C2builder in the readme and his is the only source aside from Rise of flight obviously. I didn't make a clear credits section if this is what you meant? I didn't find it useful to create a credits section for one person. C2builder has given me his permission so there's no copyright issues ;)

#43 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:18

I just flew another few missions in my SE5 and I noticed there is quite an echo on the Lewis gun, it's hard to notice in flight but on the ground it's clear as day. Still love them, sound great to me in flight.

#44 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:16

I couldn't hear the gun in my DH2 cockpit while on the ground before takeoff with engine off, but when flying it's clearly audible. When I returned from the short flight I could hear it in the cockpit with engine off! Whatever. From a noob's point of view I rather like it.

Cheers.

Can you please switch audio to medium, try the DH2, put it again to high, try again the DH2, and comment me the results please?

Redpiano: You are the second or third guy complaining about Echo. Is everyone agreed about the fact i should change it?

If yes should i erase it or just lower it?

Please say what you want, after sometime and enough opinions i'll change it to the liking of the most

#45 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:28

If yes should i erase it or just lower it?

If you could add some warmth to it it would be a great improvement, the sounds are too tinny. Maybe compress it a little and back off the reverb?

#46 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 17:18

Yeah what Jimmy said basically, it's just got a reverb to it that sounds like a firing range.

#47 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 December 2011 - 17:50

I…Love…them… :lol:

I haven't tried them yet, mabey I will now :D

EDIT: Just tried them, they sound great! mabey just a little bit of tweaking and they would be perfect!

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#48 =UA=Flash

=UA=Flash

Posted 08 December 2011 - 00:02

I do like the sounds, but the echo is just way too much…especially on the lewis. You can tell it's being fired on the ground and not in the air.
+1!
I love external gun sounds, but gun sound from cockpit should not have the echo.

#49 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 08 December 2011 - 00:38

Okay, I've tested them and I like them. But one helpful critique, the MG sounds in external view seems a tad bit loud. It overpowers the sound of the engine and just doesn't seem quite "right." Maybe tone down the external volume. (This is not just a problem with your mod, but a problem with the defualt gun sounds in ROF) :P

#50 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:37

I'm just curious, I don't fly the Allied side planes, I mainly fly the Axis. In the game do both sides share the same gun sounds or are they different. If their not then they should be, I would hate to have the same gun sounds for every plane…. to be honest I never really checked that part of the game out! just my 2 cents!

#51 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:03

OK guys understood :S!:

Gonna be working on the echo and realease a new version :)

I'm just curious, I don't fly the Allied side planes, I mainly fly the Axis. In the game do both sides share the same gun sounds or are they different. If their not then they should be, I would hate to have the same gun sounds for every plane…. to be honest I never really checked that part of the game out! just my 2 cents!

I explain that in the readme. Sorry but original spandau and vickers share the same sound and there's nothing i can do about it unless developpers send me their design project file (.fdp)
Same thing for external sounds. it was that way in original. I didn't replace different sounds with the same it would have been kind of cheap job ;)

#52 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:11

One suggestion Niky, I don't know if you've ever been near a real machine gun when it's being fired but they are incredibly damn loud, even standing behind one when it's being fired can cause your ears to ring and temporary deafness.

Could you add this temporary deafness/ears ringing effect into your sounds for prolonged firing???

#53 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:15

Thanks Niky for considering community advice.
Unfortunately, i didn't try your mod yet (cause air conditionning install in my flying room)
But i will in first time tomorrow!…and let you know.

Could you add this temporary deafness/ears ringing effect into your sounds for prolonged firing???

Not sure of that with wind noise strenght while flying…

#54 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:18

One suggestion Niky, I don't know if you've ever been near a real machine gun when it's being fired but they are incredibly damn loud, even standing behind one when it's being fired can cause your ears to ring and temporary deafness.

+11111111

The "ACE" mod for ArmA has this effect and it's fantastic.

Fifi probably has a point though, are there any real accounts of deafness when firing the guns?

#55 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:53

Suppose a problem, for the moment at least, is that all guns fire at the same rate. Presumably the lewis would sound different, or at least the sound coming from the Lewis, if it had a higher cyclical rate.

Do the guns in RoF fire with regard to engine rpm or do they just fire at a set rate ?

#56 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:51

One suggestion Niky, I don't know if you've ever been near a real machine gun when it's being fired
???

Yes, + i'm a licensed firearms owner

but they are incredibly damn loud,

True

even standing behind one when it's being fired can cause your ears to ring and temporary deafness.

I don't know anywhere else but here in France you need to wear ear protection before entering the range, i haven't ever listened to gunfire without it, with the exception of when subsonic ammunition was being used. Sorry but i cannot answer to that maybe someone else :) .

If you look carefully at WWi pilot pictures you'll see they never have their ears in the open, they either wear casks or flying stuff on the head, this kind of stuff you see:

which acted like ear protection so i'm not sure about realism about this feature. And most important, i cannot do such programming without the (.fdp) from the developpers, actually i am not even sure i could do what you are asking even with the design project file. :|

#57 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:05

Sorry Jimmy but you are wrong,
I never heared a lewis gun firing in front of me but i was for a long time next to a M61 A1 Vulcan and i fired few thousands of rounds,you cant hear the gun firing just a whistle and the plane vibrates…After all these years flying with my Moth,i can imagine that in a WW1 plane with the wing blow to your face,with your ears closed with the helmet and the strong elements around you you cant hear the Guns so loud.When i fly i just wear a WW2 replica Helmet and when i am low on rpm i cant hear my engine working…So yes Niky did a good job…I prefer these sounds from the default ones.

#58 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:23

me too, tried them out now and they are a good substitute.. I'm not worried about the echo when on the ground, as I only fire my weapons when I'm actualy flying..

#59 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:30

Is it confirmed these work in mods off?

#60 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:39

I just got a new iMac to replace my old Mac pro. The old Mac had a SB Audigy sound card. The new pc just uses built in sound. The balance and richness of sounds are COMPLETELY different–and much better even using the same ear buds. It just made me realize that even though a game on different PCs looks the same, it will sound completely differently.

#61 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:44

I never heared a lewis gun firing in front of me but i was for a long time next to a M61 A1 Vulcan..,. blah blah blah

You fired an M61 A1 vulcan from the open cockpit of a WW1 aircraft? Amazing.

#62 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:51

I never heared a lewis gun firing in front of me but i was for a long time next to a M61 A1 Vulcan..,. blah blah blah

You fired an M61 A1 vulcan from the open cockpit of a WW1 aircraft? Amazing.

I was A Co.pilot for 10 years in many Aircraft for the Greek Airforce my last plane was the F-16 block 60….the vulcan was next to my seat….And you cant hear nothing…for this reason i compare it…So a Lewis gun in front of you with all the natural elements around you…believe you cant here it loud…

#63 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 08 December 2011 - 14:02

I see, so you were in a jet with a sealed, pressurised canopy and wearing a fully enclosed helmet listening to a weapon that was not a machine gun but a rotary barreled cannon at speeds greater than 160kts.

MG fire generates shock waves, shock waves actually travel faster through solids than through gasses. The different atmosphere generated by a sealed helmet an pressurised atmosphere has a radical effect on sounds, wearing a bit of leather over your ears in a howling gale isn't going to have quite the same effect and I did stipulate PROLONGED which means FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.

#64 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 December 2011 - 14:50

I didn't hear the echo when he was firing in the air though.

I was A Co.pilot for 10 years in many Aircraft for the Greek Airforce my last plane was the F-16 block 60….the vulcan was next to my seat….And you cant hear nothing…for this reason i compare it…So a Lewis gun in front of you with all the natural elements around you…believe you cant here it loud…

That's interesting. I have a friend who flies the block 50 and he said you can hear the Vulcan, although it is not loud. This came up when he and I were discussing Falcon 4 BMS 4.32.

———-

No need to argue so much Jimmy. We know from pilot accounts that you could hear the guns firing from other aircraft in WW1 air combat.

#65 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 15:18

We know from pilot accounts that you could hear the guns firing from other aircraft in WW1 air combat.

ROFLMAO

Not only hear it but also feel it sometimes, isn't it? :lol:

#66 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 08 December 2011 - 15:39

I will fly my Moth this weekend and i will take my shootgun with me lol…..

#67 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 08 December 2011 - 15:41

Most likely they heard the supersonic cracks of the bullets flying past, not the guns firing them.

#68 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 08 December 2011 - 21:46

Ok, i finally tried your sound mod, and have to say i didn't experienced any echo nor on the ground engine off (but anyway we never fly on the ground engine off, don't we? :lol: ).

I really like it, and thank you again for this effort. I'll keep it from now on.

But one important thing to me, is now i can hear my gun in my Spad VII!! :P
That was very annoying before, cause i had to watch carefully the vickers to realise it was "jammed". Many times i was pressing the trigger…and no damages to the ennemy :mrgreen:
Now it's just perfect, it's even less louder than other planes cause vickers is fully outside cockpit.

Good job :S!:

#69 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 22:18

Thanks for your support Fifi :) I'm glad it solved your SPAD7 issue

#70 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 09 December 2011 - 00:52

Just watched a pretty good programme '60 minutes around the world' (I know it makes no sense in that it took them 90 minutes to circumnavigate our planet! but the programme lasted 1 hour!!) and the ISS astronaut said how amazed he was that he could smack something hard with a hammer while doing his spacewalking job :o and hear nothing (no surprise to Alien fans!)… yet if he touched helmets with his fellow spacewalker they could have a conversation off comms.

So my point is, before you think I'm rambling offtopic as usual :D that IRL you could feel your own guns firing, if you couldn't actually hear them… one for the force feedback/buttkicker brigade. :S!:

#71 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:50

Does one get a buttkicker by going down to the local bar and flirting with some rough and tumble man's old lady?

At any rate, maybe 777 will toss in a visual representation of the vibration and shake from guns.

#72 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:06

Interesting story Freddie, It's almost romantic.

I think the Vulcan actually has an acoustic baffle on it because early variants deafened the test pilots. No proof of that but I recall reading it somewhere. Anyway, I just thought that the concussion from MG firing might have an effect on the pilots hearing. We know that they were half deaf from the engine anyway and many wore ear-plugs too but I'd guess that its a possibility worth researching.

#73 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:25

I think ear plugs would be a more interesting sound feature, maybe it would be possible to muffle all the sounds so it sounds like we've got plugs in?

#74 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:33

I think ear plugs would be a more interesting sound feature, maybe it would be possible to muffle all the sounds so it sounds like we've got plugs in?

That's already a feature in Falcon 4 BMS. You can adjust the intensity of external sounds to simulate ear plugs, or not.

#75 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:53

I like that idea. I once suggested that they simulate ear blockage and hypoxia, but ear plugs would be interesting. Someone suggested that the team considered a more intense wind noise once, but that it bothered beta testers. I wonder if there is a recording of the wind noise, as used in the beta, so we could hear what it sounded like? Maybe it would not be so bad to boost the wind, rather than play with the engine noises, to reduce the detection of machines from hundreds of meters and then have an earplug option; to reduce the intensity of the wind and other sounds of our plane! ;) :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#76 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:00

Well now that we know sound can be modified without mods on maybe some fun loving sound engineers could play around with the sound files and release some different options for the users to test out and vote on?

#77 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:35

Sounds good, I'm going to try this out

#78 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:37

Ear plugs? More intense wind noise too strong? Beta testers didn't like it?… If the noises are a bit to much for some people, (might have delicate earholes), I could have a top tip for those that have hearing problems..
TURN THE VOLUME DOWN A BIT!.. :)

#79 Nixou

Nixou

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:13

Hey people here is the new version of lewis. What changed: Sound compressed 10%, slightly smoothened, with a fade out, reduced echo.

What do you think:

#80 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:32

I can hear cartridges hitting the ground. Is this Intentional?

Apart from that it sounds quite good, maybe a little tinny but that could just be YT audio dropping the bass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users