Photo
- - - - -

DrI clown stunt

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:41

Hard right bank and roll out new heading :)

#2 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:10

Nice, very skillful flying.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#3 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:49

Glad you like the vid FlyingShark! :S!:

#4 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:00

Great flying! What font did you use for the titles, it fits perfectly into the timeframe…

#5 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:53

Yea, totally realistic, no FM revision needed whatsoever :lol:

I love that the thing is clearly capable of maneuvers that RC planes would struggle with, and yet Central flyers regularly defend the legitimacy of that stupid plane.

Agreed that it's fun as hell to fly.. but it belongs in Star Wars and not Rise of Flight.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#6 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:52

Great flying! What font did you use for the titles, it fits perfectly into the timeframe…

Trinigan FG

#7 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 25 November 2011 - 20:02

I used this exact move evading an SE5a attack in an online campaign many moons ago….

…watch at the 2:00 minute mark.

#8 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 November 2011 - 20:07

Nice vid and nice flying here :S!:
(but have to agree with Jay, no one real pilot was able to perform such things in this bird imo, even in hollywood movies!)

#9 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 25 November 2011 - 21:30

I used this exact move evading an SE5a attack in an online campaign many moons ago….

…watch at the 2:00 minute mark.

ohh drat cant see that movie, damn Gema here in Germany…. will have to use some proxy hide gadget.

#10 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 28 November 2011 - 16:09

Testing some filters and such to much? Ohh an screwed up the sound in the beginning for a few seconds.

#11 winger2

winger2

Posted 28 November 2011 - 19:48

I love that the thing is clearly capable of maneuvers that RC planes would struggle with, and yet Central flyers regularly defend the legitimacy of that stupid plane.

Agreed that it's fun as hell to fly.. but it belongs in Star Wars and not Rise of Flight.

YES AGREE nerf all the few still competetive german planes so even SHITTY AS HELL allied pilots have a chance to make a kill!!! And then all FMs are good - when there is no competitive plane left on central side. Then the average 1C forum SIMULATION jockey in this forum full of physicists and aerodynamicists is happy.

Winger

PS: i ahve seen camels stop in the air just to change direction to their liking and then fire a while in that direction to then after the kill is done keep flying. THATS a FM like every single one on allied side should be. GO FOR IT 777! Youll make it i am sure your godlike developingskills will help you doing so.

PPS: I am sure that exact same person is just a godlike ace and would have been capable of doing the same in the real plane. ROFLOL

#12 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 28 November 2011 - 19:58

I can't wait until you rage-quit this forum again :D

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#13 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 28 November 2011 - 20:56

Please on topic…. :x

What about the movie effects added on 1st page last post, is it to much? Just would like an opinion on it as after a while you do get quite blind, thinking of using this for my next movie project.

#14 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 28 November 2011 - 21:22

I think those effects show some promise, but they're a little obnoxious as you have them. Both audio and video, they're just over-done. Tone them each down significantly and I think you'll have something more believable.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#15 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 29 November 2011 - 13:39

Yea, agree with Jay. Also.. and I don't think you can do much about this, but..

The collimator gunsight just doesn't fit. It looks like a reflector gunsight out of a Spitfire.

=IRFC=

#16 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 29 November 2011 - 16:41

Yes, wouldn't use that for later video just testing the effect.

#17 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:37

So um… how exactly is that trick performed? I would love to learn it.

#18 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:41

What shall we call that? :lol: I'll bet you thought you were done for sure, or at least I would have! ;)

#19 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:47

I called it the "Oh Snap… Roll!" maneuver.

:lol:

#20 Baal2

Baal2

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:05

Maybe the FM needs some revision but regarding this video, I don't think that this stunt is unrealistic.

#21 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:15

but regarding this video, I don't think that this stunt is unrealistic.

:shock: Have you ever seen a real DR1 doing such thing? (even on video?)

#22 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:15

Anyone tried the N 17 forward roll ?

Put her in a right hand bank then push the stick forward. It creates a nice, quick, inverted roll to the right.

Should it do that ?

#23 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:46

Ohh my pandoras box has opened :shock: Will have to give that n17 trick a go.

#24 Baal2

Baal2

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:12

but regarding this video, I don't think that this stunt is unrealistic.

:shock: Have you ever seen a real DR1 doing such thing? (even on video?)

Of course, no pilots will ever try to push a dr1 that much but take a look on any acrobatic show and you will see that happens plenty of times.
If you don't agree, please describe what defies the laws of physic here.

#25 Greywing2

Greywing2

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:15

he who mastered an DRI can do some stunning stunts in it….IMHO this plane takes more practice than others to master…it was very simmilar in RL, at least according to the pilots…

#26 LLv34Wmaker

LLv34Wmaker

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:23

That maneuver is called a snap roll and there's nothing particularly physics defying about it.

#27 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 30 November 2011 - 14:45

That manoeuvre is called a snap roll and there's nothing particularly physics defying about it.

Possibly, but a snap roll, from my understanding, is a controlled stall, usually by a sharp pull of the stick along with some rudder.

Somehow pushing the nose forward while in a high banked right handed turn to produce a very quick, but very controlled, roll to change direction to the left seems wrong. Maybe it's not that the plane couldn't do it, it's just pilots wouldn't without vomiting, although I suspect the stress may have pulled the wings off.

#28 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:12

It is a snap roll of sorts, but notice how the nose comes out on a totally new heading. I am also not sure it would be physics denying. So much wing so little aircraft and weight. :lol:

#29 piecost

piecost

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:32

This may or may not have been possible, but how may pilots would attempt it without a decent shoulder harness ? Not to mention a parachute! I don't know about the Dr1 straps but a contributing factor in Camel crashes from inverted flight was the pilot slipping out of the lap strap.

#30 =FB=VikS

=FB=VikS
  • Developer

Posted 30 November 2011 - 18:11

Oh really? Then watch this:

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … r_embedded

this one also funny:

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=MlrD4Jjp_9g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.c...atch?feature=pl … lrD4Jjp_9g

#31 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:08

Speechless :o

Also those are ultra light motorised… DR1 is at least 500kg…but that's convincing :)

#32 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:45

Put her in a right hand bank then push the stick forward. It creates a nice, quick, inverted roll to the right.

Should it do that ?

It doesn't work great here… :?

BUT…right or left hand full bank, opposite bank full rudder (!) and stick forward :o

Should it do that?? (with opposite rudder?)

#33 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:14

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … r_embedded

this one also funny:

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=MlrD4Jjp_9g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.c...atch?feature=pl … lrD4Jjp_9g

Uhm.. okay (?)

A modern 400lb ultralight monoplane traveling at 35mph isn't really comparable to a 100 year old, 1300lb wood-and-canvas triplane traveling 90mph. But sure, whatevs :)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#34 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:16

Focus on the Dr1's airspeed Jay. That is where the Dr1 clearly offends.

#35 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:12

… and this is how I imagine Airco D.H.2s performance in RoF :lol: I can imagine Hawker doing similar things to avoid Manfreds two guns in his deadly Albatros D.II :geek:

:S!:

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#36 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:54

Should it do that ?

It doesn't work great here… :?

BUT…right or left hand full bank, opposite bank full rudder (!) and stick forward :o

Should it do that?? (with opposite rudder?)

yes. it should. thats how you fly a snap roll in real life. rudder (against roll direction) and a sharp pull on the elevator (or push for negative figure)

#37 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:26

Hey,that's the BF1918 menu theme!What's the name of the song?

#38 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:14

… [the Dr1 flight model] belongs in Star Wars and not Rise of Flight.

Actually Jay, have a read of the McCudden report involving Voss' last dogfight if you haven't already. Because the Dr1 only has a rudder BUT no fin (vertical stabilizer), it could do some pretty amazing maneuvers in experienced hands.

The 'trick' in the video appears to be nothing more than a flat spin accomplished while under bank, something that the Dr1 is historically acknowledged/documented as being able to do. Flick rolls (a similar maneuver by the looks of it) basically involve cartwheeling an airplane in the vertical plane; all late war fighters could accomplish it.

That said, is the Dr1 FM overdone? i.e. should it be that easy??? I agree it should not handle like it is on rails, but IMHO it is closer to reality than further from it.

And no, I do not fly the Dr1, so no fanboi here. I much prefer entente buses, N17, SE5a, and Dolphin.

From Smithsonian Air & Space, an article discussing some sophisticated aerodynamic modeling accomplished at NASM. The rest of the article is a good read too.

#39 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:57

"the switch to fin and rudder had almost no effect on maneuvrability." :P

#40 SEDDON

SEDDON

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:35

Do not forget some of the things Ernst Udet used to get up to :S!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users