- - - - -

New oil effect?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#121 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:13

The one on the right looks like he's been the recipient of a 'Dirty Sanchez'

Soot from the guns and exhausts from most of the planes would probably blow back I should think especially in the corkscrewing of airflow from a prop.

#122 acechrisoak

acechrisoak

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:48

wwII fighters by jane's really did have cool and nice oil leakage graphics. could'nt find any youtube clip off it but if it looked similar in ROF i think personally it would be more given what is going on with your plane :)

#123 A.P.

A.P.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:41

S! All,
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I am not a fan of the oil effects and would like to see it removed,
at least on rotary engine aircraft in particular. The rotary engine exhausted castor oil from the top of the cylinder and the cowl collected it and it ran out the bottom of the cowl and onto the belly of the aircraft. (Its a lot like a model airplane engine in that respect) So unless a bullet or flak tore a hole in the cowl in an unfortunate spot, you would not have splotches of oil just randomly landing on your goggles, as is the case now.

I have had oil splotches occur at random times when I am pretty sure I was not hit, like an overspend or the like. and I believe if the cowl isn't damaged, the extra oil (where it would come from I don't know) would just be collected in the cowl ring and be expelled on the belly of the AC not on your goggles.

Don't get me wrong, I love this sim, and will continue to enjoy it, (and support 777 studios by buying more aircraft), for a long time to come, I would just like to see the oil effects go away at least on the rotary powered aircraft. I also know I am probably in the minority.

Respectfully,
AP

#124 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:19

The one on the right looks like he's been the recipient of a 'Dirty Sanchez'

Soot from the guns and exhausts from most of the planes would probably blow back I should think especially in the corkscrewing of airflow from a prop.

Even if you bang away all day with a gun firing smokeless powder on the ground you will never get yourself covered in sooty smudges, any unburnt powder that might leave a stain blowing out the end of the barrel would be very minimal in the long barrels of a maxim, so even in a slipstream i don't think so. You might get sooty like that if we were firing blackpowder weapons though :) i would imagine that some grime, oil and grit would get on your face but not to the extent of those hollywood shots (how common were face masks anyhow? For photos of pilots in cockpits they are rare but most pilots undoubtedly wanted their faces seen when taking a photo!)

#125 Tobus

Tobus

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17

My 2 cents:

1. I like the oil effect as implemented.
2. It happens way too often though, so frequency of happening should be toned down.
3. If possible, it should be (de)selectable for overall enjoyment by everyone.

Maybe 2 and 3 can be combined, in essence leaving the choice to the player in a scale from "none" to "full real", being the current situation? I would set my slider at half or even 1 quarter, I think, judging by current situation of having leakage 9-10 flights (either by overreving or bulletdamage).

#126 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 05 December 2011 - 20:31

The pilots used to rub whale fat or grease on their faces for the cold i read some where but cannot find it at the moment. which might have something to to do with the dirty faces in fotos
It was goose fat not whale sorry , some more ifo .

Even as early as 1915, aircraft like the BE-2c were operating up to and over, 10,000 feet on reconnaissance patrols.

By 1917/18, flights up to 20,000 feet weren't unusual for such as SE-5 squadrons etc. Pilots would condition themselves by working up their altitude tolerance in stages. Cecil Lewis in Sagittarius Rising desribes getting blinding headaches when high-altitude flying after even just a few days' leave.

The RFC/RAF began to try oxygen on a limited basis in 1918. I guess it was stored in small cylinders. It was apparently dispensed through a canvas oxygen mask, not too disimilar to the early WW2 pattern designs.

One problem recognised by crews even early in the War, was cramps when descending from altitude, similar to divers suffering from "bends". Airship, high-altitude balloon and aircraft crews were recommended to "pause" at between 14,000 and 10,000 in the their descent if possible to minimise the risk.

Cold was of course a massive issue. The sidcot fleece-lined flying suit was one answer and many crews privately bought everything from special coats to full-face balaclavas to handle it. It was also a regular thing to smear one's face with goose fat to minimise the risk of frostbite.

In some units, to get frostbite was regarded as chargeable negligence! There is also one BE pilot who talked of an observer who had less than hygenic toilet habits having a significant body part badly damaged by frostbite

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#127 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:31

Gogz…

#128 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:04

The pilots used to rub whale fat or grease on their faces for the cold i read some where but cannot find it at the moment. which might have something to to do with the dirty faces in fotos

You've done it now.. the URF (Ultra Realism Flight) will be online 'greased up' and looking for a fight..

#129 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:49

Do they put a big fan in front of them so it feels cold and like they're flying? And wear… Gogz?

#130 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:27

Whats with this constant urban slang bollox?.. if you are 14 years old and trying to annoy the grown ups you are succeeding with me.
If you are trying to raise a point by constantly putting Gogz in all your posts then explain it, or just stop it eh?
By the way, merry christmas!

#131 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:45

Two cents on the gun smearing.
When Richtofen was being taught by Boelcke(not sure exactly how the arrangement worked but for lack of a better word)… he said that they could tell if Boelcke had shot down anyone because his face would be stained by the smoke/cordite.

#132 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 16 December 2011 - 18:09

Two cents on the gun smearing.
When Richtofen was being taught by Boelcke(not sure exactly how the arrangement worked but for lack of a better word)… he said that they could tell if Boelcke had shot down anyone because his face would be stained by the smoke/cordite.

From wiki:

"He would fly a solo mission in the morning and return to his "cubs", who would ask if he had scored again. He would ask them if his chin was black with burnt cordite from his machine guns' breech. If it was, he had fired his gun and scored."

#133 catchov

catchov

Posted 16 December 2011 - 22:59

So Errol Flynn and David Niven had shot down many, many enemy aircraft then ?

#134 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:55

Whats with this constant urban slang bollox?.. if you are 14 years old and trying to annoy the grown ups you are succeeding with me.
If you are trying to raise a point by constantly putting Gogz in all your posts then explain it, or just stop it eh?

I'd just put him on Ignore, like I did.

#135 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:05

Surely if you are a grown up you can just go tut tut, shake your head ruefully at the kids these days and accept such a thing.

#136 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:32

Do they put a big fan in front of them so it feels cold and like they're flying? And wear… Gogz?

If this is an attempt at humor it's time to find another hobby.

#137 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:21

Surely if you are a grown up you can just go tut tut, shake your head ruefully at the kids these days and accept such a thing.

No, I don't have to just accept anything.. that's the problem with the political correct gang today, and that's why we have so many problems with the youth of today..

#138 neuro

neuro

Posted 17 December 2011 - 13:16

You guys realize that you're feeding the troll, right?

Now, back to the 'santorum effect'*
I totally hated it at first but now that im used to it. Chances are that most other players also are. It adds an element of difficulty to the game, which is still a lot easier to play than fighting the real war was for real pilots (well… DUH)

As for the 'wipe goggles' key… OK wiping the goggles would make things worse, but what would a pilot do? (WWAPD?!?) he probably would try and wipe (or not even try if he had already had a similar experience), then he would see that wiping doesn't do the trick he would remove the goggles altogether.

At this point however, he would probably get an oil drop in the eye every now and then. As long as he managed to see it coming and close his eye, then he would be able to wipe it and re-open his eye in a few seconds… but what if the oil drop actually got into the eye? I guess it would have cooled off enough not to damage the eye by heat alone, but how bad would be to get dirty castor oil off an engine, directly into an eyeball (or two) ? Or, in simulation terms, how long should one (or both) eyes be completely blinded, and how well it would recover?

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of:
- Damaged engine: oil on the goggles
- Pilot has a key to remove goggles, but if he does, there's a chance to get oil into his eyes.
- IF Pilot removes goggles, sometimes his FoV is randomly reduced to one side for a split second, to simulate eye blinking (black out 1/3 of the total FoV?)
- AND occasionally (at random but not too often) the 'blink effect' lasts until the pilot hits the 'remove goggles' key again, which is now transformed into a 'wipe eye' key
- AND rarely the blink effect and the 'oil in eye' effect would happen to both sides at the same time (mostly, blink on one side and 'has to wipe' on the other side. Once in a while 'has to wipe' to both sides)
- AND very rarely, one eye would recover vision only partially after a wipe, and after a long time, and more slowly (to simulate damage to the eye)
- AND extremely rarely, this could happen to both eyes
- AND extremely rarely, one eye would stay shut
- AND almost never, this could happen to both eyes

Now, this sounds like something very hard to do even to someone who has no idea how to code all that stuff, so I don't expect anything like that to be modeled any time soon, all im trying to do is to throw in a bunch of ideas and hope that something good comes out mixed with the all the stupid and/or unfeasible crap…

*('santorum effect': as a European I don't really follow American politics, so when I saw the goggle oil blotch being referred to as the 'santorum effect' I had to google "define santorum" (no quotes)… and then I couldn't stop laughing alone in my room like a crazy guy for several hours. OK, minutes, but still…)

#139 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 17 December 2011 - 13:24

Neuro, that sounds very complicated for what it is.

#140 neuro

neuro

Posted 17 December 2011 - 14:39

SQM (Shamelessly Quoting Myself)
Now, this sounds like something very hard to do even to someone who has no idea how to code all that stuff, so I don't expect anything like that to be modeled any time soon, all im trying to do is to throw in a bunch of ideas and hope that something good comes out mixed with the all the stupid and/or unfeasible crap…

#141 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 17 December 2011 - 15:01

far too complicated.. I think we have it pretty well modelled with what we have.
Leaking oil due to damage.. already modelled, and eventualy the goggles clear with the slipstream anyway.
We could go for more 'ultra realism' and micro manage it down to the finest detail, but I don't think we need to go that far.

#142 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 December 2011 - 22:22

Does the fact that we haven't heard much from the beta testers on this topic say something?

:)

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#143 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:44

By the way, merry christmas!

Oilz onz Gogzglz. Gogz. Strap on your gogz. Go eat some gogz. Wear your gogz. Get that gogz out of your ear. Gogzin'. Gogzilla. If you don't wear gogz you're eyz go gogzinal. Cookin up that Gogz. Chewin' Gogz. Goooooooooooooooooooggggggggggggggggggggggggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Gogz.

#144 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:07

I totaly rest my case, point proved..

#145 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 December 2011 - 00:01

Once I heard something like "if your lawyer has an earring or a ponytail, you're going to jail" (I assume it applies to male lawyers only). I think we could add to the list a lawyer who says "I totally rest my case", too :P

#146 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 19 December 2011 - 00:04

I see,.. no I don't actualy.. just who am I sending to jail? (don't have a pony tail or earring either)

#147 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 December 2011 - 00:31

I wasn't saying that you sent anyone to jail, just that the phrase "I totally rest my case" made me think about a young lawyer with baggy pants closing his arguments in court.

#148 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 19 December 2011 - 00:35

lol.. I was being flippant!

#149 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:29

What about the 'santorum effect', again?
Anyone likes my overcomplicated model?

#150 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:48

I think a good kick in his gogz might help the poor sod

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#151 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:52

thz Trooper guy takin' the gogz to heartz. He sent me a private mezage asking whatz up with Gogz?

Z

it'Z mysteryz

#152 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:05

No not really.. I pm'd you in a mature and adult way to try and find out where you were coming from.
I thought it would be a way to get you to chat without broadcasting it all over the public forums.
It's very easy for me to just publish the contents here if thats what floats your boat?

#153 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 19 December 2011 - 18:09

so what about a "pilot scarf" addition to the field mods, that allows to manually wipe the goggles? ;)

#154 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 December 2011 - 21:42

I never tried to wipe burnt oil off a glass but some of our forum members here who have RL experience (mostly modern oil, not castor) say that wiping would make things worse. That's why I suggested to give the pilot the option to remove his goggles (and then wipe his eyes as needed)

#155 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 19 December 2011 - 22:55

Trouble with removing goggles is that you wear them for a reason.

Take them off and the airflow blinds you with tears.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Oil spits (or in my experience fly/insect impacts) are preferable to blinded completely by wind.

#156 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 20 December 2011 - 00:47

No not really.. I pm'd you in a mature and adult way to try and find out where you were coming from.
I thought it would be a way to get you to chat without broadcasting it all over the public forums.
It's very easy for me to just publish the contents here if thats what floats your boat?

Don't start taking things to heart that you really don't care about. If something is really bugging you, best to ignore it. Gosh, I sound like your father now. Who's the child here?

gogz = goggles… see now? remove the last four letters and put a Z there. gogz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users