Photo
- - - - -

New oil effect?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#81 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:42

I don't want to see it be made a user-side option. Disabling it would take away one of the major effects of having a damaged engine and instead would encourage people to attempt to continue a fight with a damaged engine.

+1

#82 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:16

Perhaps the extractor tool devised by Kegetys could be used to access the oil blotch file, and some enterprising soul could change it to something more attractive for mods-on mode.

Edit: Pretty easy to find (see default oil.tga pic below). Anyone care to come up with better??

http://www.mediafire...9k7rnkeptptjd6r

;)

#83 zack1234

zack1234

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:41

Yes it's a realism factor that enhances the game :S!:

I attacked a Gotha other day in my Dolphin and my plane exploded as I straffed the Gotha at close range, I had to go and lie down from the shock and suprise :)

#84 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:21

The default texture is quite small, but had a go anyway. 15 minutes later…

#85 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:24

Is this picture from in-game? Looks really good and not like what I see.

#86 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:28

Is this picture from in-game? Looks really good and not like what I see.

As I was saying, I located the default texture and made my own Oil.tga file in photoshop. Then put it in game and activated via JSGME. After that, I just parked behind a DFW for about thirty seconds. The result is as you see above. Call it a Mod if you like.

:S!:

#87 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:37

That looks really good, Feathered. Nice work!

(Anyone care to give me the idiot proof guide to setting up JSGME in ROF? I'd like to give a couple of mods a try (this being one of them!)

#88 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:43

Jester, have a look in this thread and download the prepared mod pack that Gavagai has presented. Just follow his directions and you'll be all set.

http://riseofflight....864&hilit=jsgme

Anyone else with photoshop experience (mine is fairly average): Feel free to download the default one I posted above in the mediafire link and have a crack at it yourself. The black and white alpha layer is the one to alter.

#89 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:48

Thanks again! :S!:

#90 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:00

Feathered, sorry to ask a silly question, but is the Mediafile link you posted your modified file or the original from the sim?

Reason I ask is the folder name is "Default Oil Blotch."

#91 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:10

It's the default one. The idea was if people don't like what 777 have provided it they can have a go themselves and see how hard/easy it is. I've just been tinkering around with the file myself. Haven't made a finished mod or anyhting yet.

Here's another one. Much heavier, and to be honest I don't think its that convincing. Should be more of a mist with the odd splat.

#92 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:24

Regarding editing the blotch file, I['m terrible at graphics editing. Would you be kind enough to let me have a copy of your edited file?

#93 knightflyte

knightflyte

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:29

knightflyte wrote:
GAWD I hate to sound like a whiny biotch, but this oil stain is seriously destroying my enjoyment of the game.[…] If I can't enjoy it then what's the point? 777 Studios has done a marvelous job with so much of this game, and I truly like it…… BUT I'd really hate to shelve the game because of this. I hate it.

Please make an option to turn it off. ASAP Please?
Hmmm it seems like someone needs to man up a bit and relize this actualy happened during WW1. and continues to happen to prop driven planes. The oil effect is awsome and when oil starts hitting me in the face it usualy tells me time to go home or die a firey death. So get use to it or go back playing COD or Skyrim. :x

Yeah, I was being pissy nad throwing a fit. I hoped my post would fade into oblivion. LOL

I still don't care for it and would prefer the option to disable it, but I'm not as frustrated with it now.

I usually just fly the quick missions with ~ 8 planes total, along with AA, trucks, armour, boats and balloons. I've got a borderline PC that still manages to make RoF look splendid, but won't handle huge battles. I'm also obviously not as hard core as others who enjoy this sim.

Maybe in time with a better PC and a better internet connection I'll try online.

#94 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:31

That looks a lot better.

#95 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:01

Maybe there should be oil splatter as with the modified texture all the time, if slightly less or of more gradual build up, while a damaged engine would produce a more pronounced effect as with the original RoF texture. It would be cool if over the duration of a flight flecks of oil and dirt built up on the goggles, that doesn't vanish, with an underlying film of oil that disperses in the normal manner.

A normal engine operation oil effect and a damaged engine effect that blurs your vision, as it does now, causing a pilot to flee for home.

#96 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:08

Regarding editing the blotch file, I['m terrible at graphics editing. Would you be kind enough to let me have a copy of your edited file?[/quote]

Here you go…

[MOD] Better Oil Blotches

Enjoy!

#97 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:22

I have a mixed up feeling about the new feature. On the one hand its cool that something like oil leaks are modelled and that somebody thought about that but on the other hand it feels kind of unrealistic the way it is now. I would imagine leaking oil as a slow but continous, steady process and not a one time "what ever" throw on your googles. I thought more of the direction of how the rain drops are modelled.

:S!:

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#98 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 29 November 2011 - 22:36

I'm sure they smeared some oil on some… Gogz. That way they know what to replicate from the… Gogz. The oil on the… Gogz… is okay, it could be better but does the job. The oily… Gogz… are a good indication your engine is afoul after some mystery bullets go through it. It's like blood on the… Gogz… I hope someone at 777 bled on some… Gogz… so they could copy those… Gogz… for supreme… Gogz… effect. Gogz…

#99 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 29 November 2011 - 22:49

Well said. That's the first post that I've read in ages that actually made me laugh. I saw your first one and wasn't sure what to make of it.

Well played sir.

#100 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 29 November 2011 - 23:29

Honestly, your work is an improvement from the in-game effect. Good show!

#101 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:56

I now think we need to add bugs on the googles with the oil and blood to finish the picture

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#102 Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:11

I now think we need to add bugs on the googles with the oil and blood to finish the picture
lmao i agree… :S!:

#103 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:55

I had my first "oil effect". I thought at first I was wounded !

#104 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:57

I thought at first I was wounded!

Haha…i had both together :o

#105 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:08

Yeah in combination blood spatter and the "Santorum-effect" can take blind flying to a whole new level.

#106 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:20

Yeah in combination blood spatter and the "Santorum-effect" can take blind flying to a whole new level.

I have managed to make an emergency landing seeing almost nothing through the red/brown haze without even breaking my propeller. But I missed some trees very closely :lol:

#107 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:44

Yeah, depending also what plane we are trying to land!
Mine was N17… :mrgreen: No need to say the result :lol:

#108 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:02

I think the effect is OK as is.

In my SE5a career I only see oil when my engine is about to give out. Radiator damage doesn't produce the effect until my engine dies, then its a burst that clears if I turn my head to the side. Its not as if you can't see when the effect hits.

#109 acechrisoak

acechrisoak

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:13

i lost engine power and the pic was all brown, didnt relaise that it was oil leak until i read this :)
thought it was mud or something.

#110 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:10

It's would be cool if you could see it shooting out of the engine as well as it landing on your face

#111 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:28

There is the black smoke trail, different to the white fuel leak trail.

I'd like to see it on the windscreen though at least.

#112 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:31

It would be nice to duck behind the impervious windscreen and avoid the splatter. Personally, I think that if it isn't modelled on the plane - it shouldn't be modelled at all.

#113 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:15

Well said. That's the first post that I've read in ages that actually made me laugh. I saw your first one and wasn't sure what to make of it.

Well played sir.

I seyz weird tings

#114 mrmertz

mrmertz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 13:09

Does caster oil turn black after it's been through the powerplant? I would guess so, though from what I have seen from the real birds they tend to burn through quite a bit of it, thus always requiring good-sized infusions of it after every flight.

#115 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 01 December 2011 - 21:54

The oil staining on the fabric of the Shuttleworth Pup is a light brown almost tan colour.

Attached File  DSC_0071.JPG   2.19MB   348 downloads

Incidentally if anyone would like a good desktop wallpaper of the same plane I use this one and personally think it looks great:

Attached File  DSC_0074.JPG   2.16MB   338 downloads

Also it should be noted that unless the cowling is pierced or damaged there is physically no way of the castor oil reaching the pilot from a rotary - that indeed was the whole point of the cowling in the first place! If you doubt this think about centripetal inertia (or centrifugal force if you must) and air flow over the plane and from the prop. It is thrown from the engine in a straight line and can only escape from the bottom of the cowling into the prop wash there. Never forward onto the prop or somehow up and forward and then back onto the pilot.

Stationary engines are a little different in that they theoretically could throw oil back towards the cockpit from blown cylinders or severed lines putting oil into the prop wash.

#116 WF2

WF2

Posted 01 December 2011 - 22:09

Tom you are not 100% correct.

#117 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 01 December 2011 - 22:22

Tom you are not 100% correct.

You'd know better than me but what I've read (and simple physics) back it up (from a transcript in the IWM):

Lt Herbert Thompson RNAS

"A lot has been made since the war about the effects of the oil from the engines on, shall we say, our digestive systems, I flew various aeroplanes during the war and never once had a problem with it; neither do I recall did anyone else. Vomiting before or after a flight was common but that was nerves and not to do with the triplane's engine (although we always blamed it on the boiled eggs the batman supplied us with prior to the patrol).The truth was nothing but the finest of mistings of oil and exhaust reached us during the course of a two hour flight."

He flew Pups, Camels and Triplanes.

Also watching the pilots of the Shuttleworth show none was wiping their goggles when they landed and certainly when they were cleaning the planes after flight no oil had reached higher than about the spots on that photo above on either the Triplane or the Pup. Admittedly a very short flight but there was no evidence of any staining higher than mid-fuselage either really. Lots underneath though.

The scarf to wipe the oil off is a myth too. Apart from the fact that it doesn't work as it smears it rather than absorbing it, they wore silk scarves to stop chafing of the neck whilst looking around and scarves in general to stop air getting into the gaps around their collars. They didn't wipe their faces as they were covered in whale grease and vaseline so would have ruined the scarves immediately and a spattering of oil wouldn't have mattered compared to that anyway.

I'd be interested to know what your experience is from flying D.VIII and how does it differ? Have you flown other rotaries or just that one?

I've never flown a rotary or a radial engined plane so am truly interested to hear what your experience was.

#118 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 02 December 2011 - 00:13

I think the conclusion from that quote, Tom, is that even if pilots did have some oil spray on them, they didn't ingest it – at least not enough to impact their digestive systems. Well, actually, the quote acknowledges that a fine misting of oil did reach them. I assume this is what WF2 was talking about.

#119 catchov

catchov

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:09

Hollywood I know but is this a real representation ? Oil from the machine guns ?

Attached File  dawn patrol.png   57.89KB   271 downloads

#120 AB1_Goran

AB1_Goran

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:18

Hollywood I know but is this a real representation ? Oil from the machine guns ?

They look like coal miners after a hard day's shift :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users