Photo
- - - - -

New oil effect?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:28

Oil effect is great, it looks like oil does when you get it on a transparent surface that is about one inch from your eyes.

~S

#42 Rots5

Rots5

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:11

I love it. My first experience of the oil effect is one I'll never forget. Flying online I had just dropped a payload of bombs from my Breguet onto a tank factory. Shortly after an enemy fighter engaged me on the return flight. Whilst I shot him down, he had got some very good hits on me.

I had lost nearly all control of the elevator. The only way to keep the plane level was full stick forward and lots of throttle up/down to stop the nose pitching to much. To make it harder, I was 1 bullet away from being dead so my screen was badly blood red. Then all of a sudden oil started to splatter onto my googles!! As if it wasn't hard enough to see and control the beast!

So I could barely even seen the nose of my plane, let alone the horizon. Trees and buildings were just blobs and my plane just wanted to fly vertical. Yet somehow I managed to fly back over No Mans Land, find a clear paddock and ditch the plane without dieing. It was a serious challenge but well worth the effort.

#43 Potenz

Potenz

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:48

Well have to say that modelling oil is very very very hard task, i don't know the code of RoF, but when we were working on the animated oil mod for Il-2 1946 was a very hard task as we have to write the code from scratch, and even with that new feature to the game many people wasn't happy and complained about had to look like, without knowing how hard is to create the code for animated oil even using the actual rain code it's hard to be used for oil(please don't take this into an argue) so after developing the mod we started to add more features to the mod but with every update on the WIP we keep reciving complains and comments on how we should do it (at the end we lost all the willing on keep working on it and put it aside, we achived a state where you have oil reacting to speed and aceleration (never released for what i said before) also we wrote the code to have animated rain on the windshield but after the complains on the oil mod and the cancell of the project we never keep working on it.

So in this i'm with the devs 100% achieve a realistic oil animation is a very hard task this is the first try and is great, i'm sure as 777 always showed in the past they will improve this feature so enjoy it as it is now and keep suporting the team as the always surprise us with new cool stuff in the sim

please nobody take this personal, this are just my thoughts whit a little knowledge on this matter

regs Potz

#44 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:41

well they could of just gotten some oil and some Gogz… and a fan and dropped some oil through the fan and spray the Gogz… then look at the Gogz… Then copy as closely as possible to Gogz… to get the effect. Maybe that's exactly what they did. Did you guys try it on some… Gogz?

#45 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:04

(If you are on two wheels visibility is the least of your concerns with oil on the track though, you will be on the ground shortly.)

Did LoL on that one, charlie!. Been on the ground a lot in my day :)

#46 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:29

Mmmm, yep.. my Blade had a habit of showing me I wasn't quite as good as I thought I was. Been splattered with oil myself.

#47 iowa-1966

iowa-1966

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:48

It's a great addition, looks good. Every little bit helps, and the price is rite! Stand in front of your car, with a fan and a quart of 10w-30 and have at it- see what it looks like then report back to the purists. You would complain about a free lunch

Sean McDermott

#48 Welshie

Welshie

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:59

I personally haven't yet to see the effect, but In-line and Rotary engines will give out oil in a different way…as we all know the Rotary uses Caster oil as it's lubricant
http://en.wikipedia....e_of_castor_oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Castor_oil … castor_oil
and is a mild laxative (that's why the airmen that flew them where know as the Brown pants brigade), so the Oil of a hit Rotary should give off a mist on the goggles rather than a thick snotty goo as in the case of an in-line engine.
I found this explanation of the Rotary here very useful
http://www.century-o...gines_frame.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.century-o...flight.net/new … _frame.htm

But anything the Devs add is always great for immersion :D

#49 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 23 November 2011 - 21:11

you said lubricant lol

#50 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:21

you said lubricant lol

I suggest you not post again until you finish junior high.

#51 Brandiment

Brandiment

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:30

My question is if you have an oil leak why dosent your engine cease up and why dont you see it on the windsheild or on the cowling? Same thing with rain

#52 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 November 2011 - 23:20

What i want to see adjusted, is when stopping engine the oil effect slowly desapear.
I was surprised to see oil still coming on my googles while gliding :(

#53 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:08

If the effect was less likely or harder to experience… I would be happier with it… otherwise, it's a nice attempt at increasing immersion.

#54 knightflyte

knightflyte

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:53

I expected something different

Personally, I don't like it and would like an option to turn it off.

#55 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:56

Same, and how many threads are there on this now? :lol:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#56 knightflyte

knightflyte

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:15

GAWD I hate to sound like a whiny biotch, but this oil stain is seriously destroying my enjoyment of the game. One thing that's truly great about RoF is it's customability. I don't use simple options….. icons and map way points (and yes I probably suck). But, I'm seriously not liking this at all.

I don't mean this as an empty threat. I'm not that kind of vindictive person that would say that sort of thing. It's truly ruining my enjoyment and that's the sad part. Games should be fun. And yes I know it's a sim, but it's also a customizable game that's meant to be enjoyed. If I can't enjoy it then what's the point? 777 Studios has done a marvelous job with so much of this game, and I truly like it…… BUT I'd really hate to shelve the game because of this. I hate it.

Please make an option to turn it off. ASAP Please?

#57 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:12

What i want to see adjusted, is when stopping engine the oil effect slowly desapear.

Uuuuh, it does for me. try turning the contact switches off maybe?

#58 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:22

If the mob can wait until Christmas time, I will be able to test oil on goggles in open cockpit and take pictures to ensure 100% accuracy.

On an implementation note, what if there was a button to clear your goggles but each subsequent press of the button resulted in less clearing of oil from the goggles? Maybe we could have our cake and eat it too?

#59 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:27

Uuuuh, it does for me. try turning the contact switches off maybe?

That's what i did…maybe it takes more time to stop the oil leaking? :?

#60 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:31

Yeah it takes a while, try hitting the flyby key too. That seems to have a clearing effect with those screen effects like blood and oil.

#61 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:13

Well, when engine stopped, no more oil pressure, so it should be as soon no more oil projections/throwing imo.

#62 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:46

Ok, i apologise :oops:

Just get engine shot (and stopped), and oil on googles is quickly fading away while gliding.
Great stuff :S!:

#63 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:20

I've had engine damage without getting oil splatters, so that's certainly possible.

#64 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:23

I've had engine damage without getting oil splatters, so that's certainly possible.
´
It is. My main problem is that it happens as part of overrev'ing damage, which I can't se the justification for.

#65 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:15

´
It is. My main problem is that it happens as part of overrev'ing damage, which I can't se the justification for.

Haha…maybe you blow up some cylinder with overrev, and oil is gushing all way out!

#66 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:23

´

Haha…maybe you blow up some cylinder with overrev, and oil is gushing all way out!

That wouldn't really seem propable ;) unless it was a late-war German engine made of "erzats"-steel (an alloy consisting of 10% tin and 90% cardboard) :lol:

#67 SV-001/R

SV-001/R

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:16

Attached File  2011_11_25__13_46_49.jpg   422.49KB   142 downloads

Is this the new oil leaking effect?

I've just collided with Dr.I and my view just got dirty.

#68 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:19

Is this the new oil leaking effect?

I've just collided with Dr.I and my view just got dirty.

Yes indeedy ….. welcome to our oily world ….. lol

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#69 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:24

GAWD I hate to sound like a whiny biotch, but this oil stain is seriously destroying my enjoyment of the game.[…] If I can't enjoy it then what's the point? 777 Studios has done a marvelous job with so much of this game, and I truly like it…… BUT I'd really hate to shelve the game because of this. I hate it.

You made it clear that you can't enjoy the game with this feature, but can you tell us why?

#70 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:29

I think its ok as is. Over rev included. Normally when you see an engine blow to high revs it starts smoking as well. Why does it smoke? Its leaking fluids! Go check out some reno race engine giving out on youtube

*edit, just because I wanted to see what was on youtube, first video i found…my point exactly. Look at what happened to the engine case.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WAPFTUi4Vr8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

#71 Eiswolf

Eiswolf

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:07

in my opinion,not implemented well at all,over done on almost all engine damage scenarios.
tone it down a bit and I might like the addition but for now I see it as a negative effect that has removed some of the enjoyment for me.
now I have flown ROF for a while now and can live with it but I can see a rookie not liking this at all and getting turned off the game.the main thing we have is visual appeal this is not appealing.
we can argue all day long on what is right in the real world ,I have my own opinion on that as well having been around engines almost all my life.worked on some old ones too.Doesn't make me an expert so all I am saying this is my opinion and I don't like the present oil effect.

#72 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:17

Could it be made a server side option? I personally think RoF should be as customisable as possible, so people can enjoy it in the way they want.

#73 Brandiment

Brandiment

Posted 26 November 2011 - 18:06

knightflyte wrote:
GAWD I hate to sound like a whiny biotch, but this oil stain is seriously destroying my enjoyment of the game.[…] If I can't enjoy it then what's the point? 777 Studios has done a marvelous job with so much of this game, and I truly like it…… BUT I'd really hate to shelve the game because of this. I hate it.

Hmmm it seems like someone needs to man up a bit and relize this actualy happened during WW1. and continues to happen to prop driven planes. The oil effect is awsome and when oil starts hitting me in the face it usualy tells me time to go home or die a firey death. So get use to it or go back playing COD or Skyrim. :x

#74 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 26 November 2011 - 18:24

S24_Brandiment,
Relax dude everyone should be able to have the option to have it on or off in their game. ROF developers know this and will make the needed adjustments no doubt in the next update. Remember this is a game pure and simple. Some people like the hardcore stuff and some don't.

#75 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 26 November 2011 - 19:27

" Man up? Get used to it or go back to COD or Skyrim? seriously?" I wonder what makes people act like this in every video game forum I go to. If you like it that's fine, some people might not and obviously do not or there would not be 8 pages of people talking about it.

#76 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 26 November 2011 - 19:39

I honestly like the effect myself, what I don't like is that every time I start and am involved in a fight I have the oil effect, 10 for 10 times on my first online venture with this new feature. It is like if a bullet gets anywhere close to my engine, then it is damaged and leaking. IMO this shouldn't happen as frequently as it does. The hit zone for this effect to actually occur needs to be localized around a small area of the engine (i.e the top side of the engine, maybe just the head or jugs) instead of what seems like any hit to the front 1/4 of the fuselage. An option to turn it on or off is definitely needed as I can see if I was a new pilot(new game owner) this would severely deter me from wanting to play it much. Not everyone wants to be looking through this oily mess(they did a pretty good job simulating, IMO) all the time, and if you are a newbie and go into the deep end of the pool(online) you would be looking at this constantly and I could see many never coming back after a short while of constantly being forced to deal with this. There you have it, for what it is worth, my 2 cents,a switch is need, nice effect, it is triggered to easily and frequently. It just needs a little attention to become another great immersion option that we can choose to use or not to. Thanks 777, nice addition, now please just tweak it so we all still will love and use ROF no matter what our liking or disliking is.We are a fickle bunch sometimes so bear with us please.

S! Blade<><

#77 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 November 2011 - 20:18

S24_Brandiment,
Relax dude everyone should be able to have the option to have it on or off in their game. ROF developers know this and will make the needed adjustments no doubt in the next update. Remember this is a game pure and simple. Some people like the hardcore stuff and some don't.

I don't know if they can, I mean…It's a handicap to your vision once you get shot. If you had the ability to turn it offthat would remove the handicap. For me it's not that I don't like the idea, but the effect itself doesn't look very real, especially since you can't see it coming out of the engine. Although at first i didn't think aboutit but it was brought up that oil comes out when the engine is damaged in other ways other than getting shot. So it would be nice to fix it up a little.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#78 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 26 November 2011 - 20:51

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen a post by Jason saying it can't be made a user option (probably due at least in part to the point Liberator just made).

Still it's early days and the effect has only just been introduced. Maybe it'll get tweaked somewhere down the line.

#79 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 26 November 2011 - 22:50

B-24_Liberator
For me its an OK effect ,but just like IL2 it made a lot of people very unhappy. The developers of 777 can make it so that its either a lighter oil streak and slow the rate down or make a key to simulate you wiping it away from your goggles. I for one hope that they seriously take the comments to heart or it will hurt them in the long run. I've seen it with IL2 that's for sure.

#80 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:02

I don't want to see it be made a user-side option. Disabling it would take away one of the major effects of having a damaged engine and instead would encourage people to attempt to continue a fight with a damaged engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users