- - - - -

Printable UPDATED Maps--Download here

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 17 January 2014 - 13:15

Just found these maps too! Thank you so much! These will help me try to learn to navigate!
Really glad people are still finding them useful, thanks again for kind words.

@ Somnus, print on colour printer, then use plastic page covers and write your waypoints with grease pencil (which wipes off easily). Its an old war gamers trick from the days when we couldn't afford/didn't have easy access to photocopiers.

I love RoF for being able to navigate by geographic features, and sometimes for getting totally lost when you can't recognize geographic features on the map! :lol: What I mean is, the terrain is complex enough and based so closely on the real thing, it can be confusing at times and reflects doing the actual task.

#82 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:32

Fantastic work Bandy!

I have uploaded them in 1 PDF for use in PWCG.

You can look here: riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=589698#p589698

#83 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 15 February 2014 - 17:40

Thanks Fifi! :)

#84 Avatar

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:34

Thanks Fifi! :)

Yes, thanks a lot!

ASUS Maximus VII, i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 970 SSC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133, Win 7 Pro, Track IR5, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, 2 MFCDs, 32" Bravia & 2 19" Syncmaster monitors

#85 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:23

Currently working on new version, based on Bandy maps (hope he don't care) with plenty new forest names, some lake/rivers names, and few typos corrected.
Those additions are of course accurate…working with google earth and michelin maps.
It will be release as 1 PDF.

On side note, many forest disappeared nowadays, so it's not easy to find them back :)
I plan to add (later on) other villages names that are existing in game but not figuring on map…huge work, cause i'll have to fly, spot, and search on actual detailed michelin map!

#86 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 16 February 2014 - 20:53

:S!:

#87 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:57

Ok, done with latest maps PDF…
Added plenty new forest names, some river names, few towns missing, and few typos corrected.
Also corrected a lake name, Est of Verdun that in fact is not at that place…(Lac de Madine is in fact South of Etangs de la Chaussée - and not existing on ROF map or ingame! - the only big mistake i found on ROF map)
I added too the Chemin des Dames, Fort de Vaux and Fort de Douaumont.

About forest/wood names, the ones missing is because the forest/wood disappeared, and don't exist anymore on map.
Or few are still existing, but no names on my map (michelin web).

Anyway, i was amazed by the ROF map fidelity.
Rivers and forests are really matching reality (except for the Lac de Madine).

Here new PDF: www.mediafire.com/download/cddpg5s3z0dcsgq/ROF_maps.zip

#88 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:04

Damn, i correct myself about the Madine lake missing…
It's missing on our map, just because this artificial lake was created in 1965! :shock:
That confirm how accurate ROF map is, and what an amazing job devs made :)

#89 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:16

Hi Fifi,

Yes, that lake caused me some concern as well till I figured it out. It is mentioned somewhere in this thread. I suspect the devs did include the lake at first (it must have been on their digital elevation maps), but then they also found it was a 'fake lake'. The large infamous dogfight 'Lake Map' you still see on some MP servers must be that lake (it looks like the correct shape), since it does not exist anywhere else on RoF in-game map to my knowledge.

And make sure you do not confuse rivers with canals. Some water ways start as natural rivers, then turn into canals when they were 'improved' (straightened and/or widened). I have named that vast majority of them after a lot of research, and it can be confusing.

Would be great if the channel map was made into printable sections as well. PDF is a poor file format for holding detail, I hope you also save them as png which scale wonderfully.

:S!:

#90 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:59

I suspect the devs did include the lake at first (it must have been on their digital elevation maps)

When you zoom out max in the Editor you can see the modern french highways elevated via the heightmap. :)

#91 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 17 February 2014 - 21:04

Hi Bandy,
You know you made already all the job with rivers and canals :)
I didn't changed what you already made very well, just added very few river names missing.

My biggest job was adding forest and wood names…well to find them first!
Big forests was quite easy as they are still existing, but small woods…not the same story.

Corrected also a town name - called Lemmers in ROF - in reality it's called Lemmes :)
And added few towns missing like Longuyon or Void-Vacon at some main roads intersections.

I'm currently making a mod for PWCG map (last zoom increased based on our job)
Tested it, and it's working :)
Stay tuned…

#92 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:33

Good news! Thank you Fifi for 'taking up the torch' on this and finishing up loose ends. You now know how much time it takes to fly and see the villages in-game that need names on the map, rivers, canals, etc… It is a labour of love for the game.

BUT, there must be very few of us that can say they fly everywhere on the RoF map! :D

#93 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:54

Yes, that's why best is to enhance around the front line first, then make the far deep country less detailed, or at least just main rivers and main forests.

Currently working for this mod, wich is taking very good shape.
It will be readable on main ROF briefing map, but also incokpit map :)

#94 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:49

Go Fifi!!!

#95 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:00

Sorry if this is an old question, but will either of you be doing printable maps like this for the Channel? I know there is a lot more ground to cover, but I love using a marker and my printed maps for flights.

#96 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:07

Hi thenorm,

I won't be editing more maps (have slowly moved onto making 3D in-game content), but don't let that stop you! :D All you need is a copy of Photoshop, the PSD file from devs, and the will to help the community out.

You can downloaded a copy of Photoshop CS2 right from Adobe, who stopped the CS2 license verification server but legally still had to make a copy available for owners. A special no-license key is made available for install.

Below is the website where you register/enter your Adobe account (email and password only), then navigate to downloads. The whole CS2 suite is available, but is more difficult to install I hear, so just go for the Photoshop download.

https://www.adobe.com/downloads

By the way, it runs perfectly well on Win 7 64 bit, and does everything I need it to. Send me a PM if you don't want Adobe registration… ;)

#97 GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:28

Good Evening All,

Surely these maps should make their way onto the "Useful Materials" page or at least the RofMods page. (I have the big maps from the "useful materials page", but these little ones appear more useful in game.)

Thanks for the work Bandy. With luck I will get less lost on the Full Realism servers, and be able to plot out details for some of the "many target" servers out there.

Regards,
George.

#98 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:44

You're most welcome George, and thank you for the post!

RE: your other post about mission targets, etc., what I do is put the printed sector map in a plastic page protector (as used for photo prints, class projects, etc.) which are easily available at an office supply store. Then I use grease pencil to mark targets, waypoints, etc.

Wipe off and re-use! Maybe use rubbing alcohol once in a while.

#99 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:47

Hello,

As informed via PM the Mediafire link on page 1 of this thread does not seem to work for some people, they are getting 404 errors.  I'm not sure what to say, I just checked, it works for me.  Maybe refresh your browser cache and try again?  http://www.mediafire...oF_Map_PNGs.zip

If you know somebody with the maps, or know a friend who wants them, by all means share among yourselves.  Again, just glad people enjoy using them.

#100 testid

testid

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:28

S!

thanks Bandy, I updated with info in other thread too.

#101 SilentHastati

SilentHastati

Posted 06 March 2016 - 21:13

Big thanks, I don't print them out, but mark them in Acrobat much in the way you would with the grease pens. With a multi monitor setup it's just a somewhat better setup than using the ingame map IMHO as you can't mark POIs (I use PWCG with High Ground density so there may be ground things I wish to avoid on the return trip) on that midflight unless I'm missing something.

#102 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 05 June 2016 - 22:41

Incredible work, Bandy...thank you!  I'm just now discovering this thread since I'm re-discovering RoF with my upgraded rig.  These will prove to be most helpful.

Dumbo
  :icon_e_smile:

Intel Core i7-6700 processor 3.4 Ghz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX960 4GB graphics card
Kingston 240GB SSD hard drive
Gigabyte Z170X GAMING 3 mobo
Cougar RS 650 watt power supply
Kingston 8GB PC4-2133 desktop RAM
Windows 10 Premium 64 OEI
24" Dell LCD monitor
CH Fighterstick/ProPedals
TrackIR 5-Pro

#103 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:43

Thanks for post.  Glad to see they are still relevant to some.

#104 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 12 December 2017 - 16:36

Hi Bandy,

Do you also have a main map without the 1,2,3,... on it?

No pun if it's no, just asking.

:icon_e_salute:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users