- - - - -

Printable UPDATED Maps--Download here

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:14

Well, the terrain that Neoqb created for RoF is what the map is based on, and this is who we all owe a tremendous Thank You! The developers and Vanderstock's tremendous additions that came with the fall tiles. :S!:

All I did was provide real names for the nameless villages, rivers, canals, lakes, and a few famous woods on the map. I simply went to satellite maps of France and 'walked' from village to village, and 99% of the time a village was present where Neoqb or Vanderstock put one! It was time consuming, nothing anyone else couldn't have done, but somebody DID need to do it.

My hope is that the text layer from this updated Photoshop file is one day incorporated into the in-game map by devs. I used the file Jason made available last year, so I did not adjust the resolution; they should be able to copy and paste the layer into their own file used to generate the in-game map. It would be that simple.

I'd rather have them working on other things than naming villages… :D

#42 Snafu458

Snafu458
  • LocationMissouri USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:33

BANDY - Thank you for this EXCELLENT work!!

I highley recommend laser printing these even if it means taking them out somewhere to have it done. It is well worth it for the crisp linework.

Thanks, I love maps.

I second that - had them printed and laminated on 11 X 17 paper at a local printer. They look GREAT!

#43 =69.GIAP=REDVO

=69.GIAP=REDVO

Posted 13 March 2012 - 20:16

SALUTE

I haven't seen this maps below posted anywhere (could be wrong), so I printed my own. They are 2 small maps that the game comes with. I will be using them for the 'Skies of the Empires' Campaign and I am posting in case any of you need them at any point.

:S!:

#44 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 00:46

The first map has Verdun in the centre, but simply does not have the frontlines/muddy front included with it, so it is part of the larger map.

The second map is the "Lake Map" from the quick mission terrain list, also used by the 'New Wings' server. Vitry-le-Francois is in the upper left corner of the Lake map, and this town is SW of Reims.

Here is the area on the larger map, and below that a web map. Note Bar-le-Duc is in the upper right corner of both. That lake likely did not exist during WWI, it is probably a 'fake-lake' created by a dam for reservoir and/or recreation. It may have been initially included on the large map by the devs, then they realized the historical error and it was excised…

Note how the shapes of the RoF forests are very close to the web map, and the small lakes in the bottom left corner of both maps. There is an attention to real life detail that I haven't seen before, right down to flood ponds along the sides of the big rivers. These ponds are there if you look at satellite maps! Amazing.

#45 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:13

If it doesn't work for you, then I'm sorry but it may be at your end. I'm surprised that people had problems with the MediaFire link as well. It may be the file size and restrictions by some peoples' internet provider, I don't know…

Here is the MediaFire link again: DOWNLOAD HERE

FYI this link is not longer working

#46 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:46

CombatAce has the maps, both png and Photoshop. Register there as per link in OP. Are you having problems with download from there?

#47 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:55

Negative, was just for info.

#48 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 29 May 2012 - 00:17

Shameless thread bump for those new people who may not know these printable maps exist. :S!:

#49 JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:17

Hello Bandy,

I am unable to register on the Combat Ace website. Every time I try my request is rejected because I use a Yahoo email account. Is there anyway for me to get a copy of your maps? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ringo

#50 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 31 May 2012 - 17:55

Sorry, the zipped files are simply too big to email. Why not try a gmail or hotmail account then? I know my email for CombatAce and most other forums is a hotmail account, but they may have changed their requirements. There simply is a hellava lot more spam nowadays for forum admins to deal with…

#51 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 24 July 2012 - 15:58

Bumping this thread to say thanks to Bandy for these maps. I finally got around to downloading them last night (needed good maps to plan bombing routes).

So thanks Bandy for making these! Much appreciated! :S!:

#52 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:35

No, no! Seriously, thank you for using them. It's great to hear that others have found a need for them beyond the personal use when I started to update place, river, and canal names and then make the maps.

Since then, many online mission map-makers have really started to populate the countryside with more farms, chateaus, villages, towns, and even castles! Some even add airfields (though I suspect they are there for mission convenience sake, rather than historical accuracy).

I wish this painstaking placement work for MP maps could all be rolled into the overall RoF map, so that it will just grow and grow, and could be used for offline players and their enjoyment.

Then I could start to update the map all over again… :?

#53 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:56

Thx soooooo much! :)

[Have I really got to register?]

Regards,
Callahan

#54 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:28

In my defense of using Combat Ace (CA), it is a great resource for many other flight sims and their mods community. If more RoF modders used the CA RoF download section (such as all the AI mods, graphics mods, etc…) then it would be a one-stop place to 'shop' for all mods, rather than having to search the whole mods forum, look through the threads for updates, threads that are buried, etc.

Think about if you entered RoF now as a new player, how would you even know about some of the mods that are available? A new player could simply go to CA and easily see them all.

Until RoF/777 offer something like this to the mods community (the 'Useful Materials' is helpful, but not up to date, and very selective as to what makes it there…), then Combat Ace is so far the only one-stop place.

If you mod and read this, please consider uploading your mod there! :S!:

#55 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:10

Cannot see why people are shy about registering.. it's a very useful site and I've been using it for some considerable time..

#56 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:10

which are the roads and which are railways? Red are roads?

#57 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:22

@ thenorm, just like in RoF red is roads, black is tracks.

#58 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:50

Are other downloads at this webside for free too?
And look at this one: http://combatace.com...p-les-cigognes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://combatace.com...es/file/12480-n … -cigognes/

#59 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 02 August 2012 - 18:17

Ja, I worked that out when I printed them, just had to look for the road that goes by Es. 103's Aerodrome where my current career is. :)

#60 HippyDruid

HippyDruid

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:26

Just discovered these, thanks heaps. :S!:

#61 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 11 August 2012 - 17:46

Looks great, real helpful.

#62 DDawg1956

DDawg1956

Posted 11 August 2012 - 20:48

Do you have them posted anywhere else to download?

#63 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:49

Everyone, registering at CA isn't a big deal. Alternatively ask 777/developers to host the eight PNG files on the useful resources page. Louvert is making some nice tweaks to them as well, see the General Discussion Forum.

Perhaps that is the issue? Devs may think many versions of maps might be made, so they don't want to host them all or make a choice on which to unofficially support? I don't know…

#64 Check6

Check6

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:27

Bumping this thread as other new people may not be aware of these completely updated 8.5 x 10" printable maps are available. Even the in-game map leaves dozens and dozens of villages unmapped and unnamed. Also provided names for rivers, canals, lakes, some forests/woods.

For some reason the developers have not seen fit to view these as "Useful Materials" so you have to download here: Combatace.com-updated-rof-maps-png

A Photoshop file is also available if you wish to change any graphic to suit your taste. It is the original size of the one available from Neoqb in the Useful Materials section of this forum. Link here to download updated version: Combatace.com

I put them in clear plastic folders and use grease pencil to mark waypoints and targets; simply wipe clean with dry paper towel and use again and again…

Regards! :S!:

Bandy,

I appreciate your efforts in making these maps, but I am unable to open them. I downloaded the zip file from CombatAce okay, unzipped it, but any document converters or photo programs I have cannot open or work on this format.

I suppose I need to buy Photoshop to open it. My old photoshop cd is just that - too old. My new OS doesn't recognise it. Sigh! Does anyone know of a program that can open this file extension (.psd)? AVS photo editor or image converter won't do the trick.

Member of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/

Please, come visit us, check it out, and join us if you want. Plenty of interesting stuff there.

#65 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:00

Everyone, registering at CA isn't a big deal. Alternatively ask 777/developers to host the eight PNG files on the useful resources page. Louvert is making some nice tweaks to them as well, see the General Discussion Forum.

Perhaps that is the issue? Devs may think many versions of maps might be made, so they don't want to host them all or make a choice on which to unofficially support? I don't know…

I'd be happy to upload them to my MediaFire account, where I've made all my Panther Packs and other skin pack alternate locations available, if that would help.

I would also be happy to make my .pdf versions available (the ones that I use on my iPad to fly with), which are based upon some of your earlier Western Front map files plus the Channel map, if that'd be OK.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 43.jpg

#66 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 16 May 2013 - 23:49

I've uploaded these maps to Mediafire in the past to accommodate a few people with continuing issues, but the bottom line is CombatAce is a great community and resource to become a part of. There is no compelling reason not to register to download content from there. Besides, the RoF Photoshop Map file (not the printable maps) is simply too large to host at Mediafire; I had to get special permission for such a large file at CombatAce (who are great guys, did I mention that? :D )

RoF developers were trying to create a RoF mods website… EDIT: which apparently is coming to fruition. I am glad to hear that. This sim will only continue if the community starts making things for it given the devs have other projects on the go…

@ Check6: I have uploaded both the Photoshop file (the whole damn thing, a huge file), and the 8 printable PNG maps. Make sure you have downloaded the right zip file. You probably have already… combatace.com/files/file/12372-updated-rof-printable-maps-png/

PS: BEWARE, these were updated in 2011. Some things may have changed, such as the terrain around Ypres if you are flying there on the Channel Map. If you are using these for MP, different mission maps may have additional airfields placed by the maker that are not on the RoF map. They do a fine job and I still love to use them, even in MP.

#67 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:03

I've uploaded these maps to Mediafire in the past to accommodate a few people with continuing issues, but the bottom line is CombatAce is a great community and resource to become a part of. There is no compelling reason not to register to download content from there. Besides, the RoF Photoshop Map file (not the printable maps) is simply too large to host at Mediafire; I had to get special permission for such a large file at CombatAce (who are great guys, did I mention that? :D )

How big is that file? I've got some pretty large files uploaded to my MediaFire location (largest one is about 5 GB), so I don't think that's likely to be a problem for me if it would help.

RoF developers were trying to create a RoF mods website, but nothing happened. Why? Nobody would do it for free. Correct me if wrong and I will edit this post to better reflect reality.

According to the global announcements ( ROFMODS website is now open! ) that mods website appears to be up and working now (though certainly still in its infancy) - might be another option.

Don't get me wrong - I had no problem registering and D/L'ing from the CombatAce site, so I'm not pushing for an alternate approach - just offering if it would be helpful.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 43.jpg

#68 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:23

Ok, hopefully Jason will see fit to upload these maps to the new mods website, given the interest shown in this thread.

Here is a quick download link for now:
www.mediafire/Updated_RoF_Map_PNGs.zip

Will not upload the Photoshop file though.

#69 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 23 June 2013 - 16:34

have you/will you do a similar thing for the Channel map?

#70 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:34

Hi norm,
If the devs release a Photoshop file covering the whole Channel map, then it is possible and would make it a lot easier, but they haven't.

Perhaps there is a way to access the in-game map via the packed files, but I haven't looked.

#71 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:42

Hi norm,
Thank you for showing continued interest. If the devs release a Photoshop file covering the whole Channel map, then it is possible and would make it a lot easier, but they haven't. Perhaps there is a way to access the in-game map via the 'packed' files, but I haven't looked.

Besides, I do not think there is official interest in printable maps package. riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=278&t=36559

Thank you all for kind words expressed in this thread.

#72 Laser

Laser

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:07

If the devs release a Photoshop file covering the whole Channel map, then it is possible and would make it a lot easier, but they haven't.

You mean, this? http://rofmods.com/A...Map_Layered.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://rofmods.com/A...Map_Layered.zip

(source thread: Channel Map )

BTW most people are used to "just use" free stuff, not showing doesn't mean there is no interest.

#73 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 19:19

Well, that just came out on Saturday 2 days ago, I can't be blamed for not noticing it now can I?

I was talking about "official interest" not the public/community. My link in the post above shows Jason replying 2 or 3 times to that thread on a similar subject. No posts here, and these files never made it to the mods download page. :roll:

#74 Laser

Laser

Posted 24 June 2013 - 19:44

Well, that just came out on Saturday 2 days ago, I can't be blamed for not noticing it now can I?

Bandy, what you need is just a little …

Attached File  mordillo2.jpg   25.94KB   432 downloads

(i was just providing the link, for your fun and profit :) )

#75 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:30

Well, I do hope you will, I love using them for the western front, and (while they would likely need to be more comprehensive, including the coasts as well as the front) I would love to be able to use something similar for the Channel.

#76 The_Welsh_Git

The_Welsh_Git

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:34

Oh well bumped! Didnt know these existed. Cheers Bandy :S!:

#77 HW2010

HW2010

Posted 17 December 2013 - 13:57

Thank you for making these maps! They're great, or should I say invaluable! It really makes a world of difference to have these for flying in RoF. Does wonders for immersion.

#78 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:41

anyway of putting these maps "ingame" ???

#79 StraferX

StraferX

Posted 25 December 2013 - 16:17

This is fantastic, I love the printable maps. Great work and hope to see more in the future.

#80 JG1_Somnus

JG1_Somnus

Posted 14 January 2014 - 16:13

Just found these maps too! Thank you so much! These will help me try to learn to navigate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users