Printable UPDATED Maps--Download here

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 23 October 2011 - 16:05

EDIT:
Here is a quick download link for 8 smaller scale, well detailed, printable maps:

http://www.mediafire...oF_Map_PNGs.zip

I've also uploaded these maps to the RoF Combat Ace Downloads section: LINK HERE

In addition you can download the Photoshop map with layers and tweak it all you like! It is available LINK HERE but it is a monster of a file at 1.4 GB, and unless you have A LOT of RAM it will crash your system.

As far as I know none of the current RoF PDF maps are up to date since the fall tiles patch and all the extra village/town additions. So I used the early RoF Map Photoshop file made available by Jason (thank you sir!) and took in-game screen shots across the map, step-by-step, and updated all the village, town, and city locations and names on the Photoshop map. Yes, it was boring, but someone needed to do it…

This should be the most accurate map available to my knowledge. I then broke it down into 8 'sector' maps with overlapping margins. Each 'sector' map file should print nicely on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, or at least it does on my printer (print with no borders), your mileage may vary. I could have made the scale even smaller, but then there would be more maps, more overlap, more dead trees. And colour printer ink is expensive.

I modeled the maps after Imperial Defence Ordnance Survey maps I saw online (bottom image). Hope others enjoy printing and using them. Let me know you use them, and I will continue to keep the maps updated. I find unmapped villages and airfields on the in-game map every-now-and-then.

ROF_Map_Layouts-Small.jpg

A close up of only a section of Map 1…
ROF_Map-1.jpg

BattleCambrai-1917.jpg

#2 Laser

Laser

Posted 23 October 2011 - 17:44

Somehow, this thread sunk way too early :P Thanks a lot, Bandy! :)

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 October 2011 - 19:30

Wow. Looks like a lot of effort, but it will be great to have some updated maps to use. I recently got a netbook to use with my camera on trips, so now I can try putting these maps on a second screen on my virtual "lap". Looking forward to trying these out.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#4 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:08

Excellent, Bandy!

Thank you!

#5 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:10

Wow very nice! Thank you!

#6 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:50

Great stuff! this will make mission-building much easier!

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#7 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:04

Thanks a lot!
:S!:

#8 Capt.OReilly

Capt.OReilly

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:32

Many thanks for the time & effort that you've put into these - an excellent job!! :D

#9 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:52

At last, managed to download these.. good work!
(mediafire link still not working for me)

#10 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:18

Glad to hear you got them Trooper. Maybe your internet connection is routed through N. Korea?

What started out as a personal effort to improve my own RoF experience has had additional benefits with your download and use. I'm just happy I can return something to the community. :S!:

I would love to learn more about how the terrain tiles are organized and start helping to paint. I have a little experience in this with another sim, but perhaps only enough to be dangerous. :roll:

#11 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 24 October 2011 - 14:02

Got these downloaded, converted to .pdf files and loaded onto my iPhone - looking good so far - can't wait to give them a try on some missions later tonight. Thanks again!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#12 dirk

dirk

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:11

Many thanks for a superb piece of work. Have downloaded and printed out, and will encapsulate to preserve the copies. It should now be possible to navigate without the need of a magnifying glass. I make the scale of these maps to be about 1 inch to 5 miles - is this about correct?

Again my thanks for your excellent work.

#13 Armincles

Armincles

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:11

Nice maps,but I cant get a download going,says Im unauthorised! :(

#14 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:25

You have to register with Combat Ace first. You are not required to post to their forums, but just use their downloads section is fine.

I hope others will think about posting their mods to Combat Ace. It will become a one stop place to browse for mods, rather than trying to sniff them out on the threads. CA makes it very easy to upload and update your mods. Off my soapbox now…

#15 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:46

Outstanding job !

#16 KAPEH

KAPEH

Posted 25 October 2011 - 14:04

Thx, Bandy for the huuuuge piece of work….I'd say masterpiece :)… How can I actually download it? I unable to get this file via the link. :(…I've already registered there, but still no use of it :(

#17 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 25 October 2011 - 17:57

Much appreciated!! Thanks.

#18 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:57

@ Kapeh, and others with problems,

Sorry for your problems, but the Combat Ace (CA) download link is working.

Try this, use the CA link in this thread, log yourself into Combat Ace (you need to be registered member first though), then go to the actual download button; it requires an extra click on the map image to get to the download page itself.

Then click on the download button; it started the download for me right away in a test just now.

If it doesn't work for you, then I'm sorry but it may be at your end. I'm surprised that people had problems with the MediaFire link as well. It may be the file size and restrictions by some peoples' internet provider, I don't know…

Here is the MediaFire link again: DOWNLOAD HERE

#19 =MAR=Vivid

=MAR=Vivid

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:17

Thank you!!! :S!:

#20 KAPEH

KAPEH

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:27

….Here is the MediaFire link again: DOWNLOAD HERE
Yo, man! Thank you a lot!

#21 Armincles

Armincles

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:26

Thanks that did it! :D

#22 dirk

dirk

Posted 26 October 2011 - 16:11

Just out of interest, I compared these excellent maps with those for OFF. There are some differences in the positioning of roads and rivers and some of the airfields appear to be in different places. However the dates of the maps are probably quite different and some of the OFF maps do not show the trench lines. Of course the ROF maps should work in the sim, and doubtless the OFF maps work in that sim.

#23 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 26 October 2011 - 17:21

Have they released OFF 4 now? Congratulations if they have.

While that group of developers deserve to be applauded for their efforts, and the sim definitely has its excellent points and followers, IMHO the in game maps and being able to actually navigate by them was not one of them. What I mean is, looking out of the cockpit and recognizing where you are from the map and where you need to go. I could be wrong, but I can't see how you can use maps from one sim in another and do that.

As I became more and more familiar with the RoF map, I was struck by just how accurate to real life (for the most part) the terrain features are compared to the WWI Ordnance Survey maps as seen in the first post. Many corrections have been made, and as far as I can tell the in-game RoF map is in at least its third and most accurate generation.

I know it would be asking too much, but I'd love to see some contour lines, but then they would tend to muddy an already busy map for some people.

Regards!

#24 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:22

Bumping this thread as other new people may not be aware of these completely updated 8.5 x 10" printable maps are available. Even the in-game map leaves dozens and dozens of villages unmapped and unnamed. Also provided names for rivers, canals, lakes, some forests/woods.

For some reason the developers have not seen fit to view these as "Useful Materials" so you have to download here: Combatace.com-updated-rof-maps-png

A Photoshop file is also available if you wish to change any graphic to suit your taste. It is the original size of the one available from Neoqb in the Useful Materials section of this forum. Link here to download updated version: Combatace.com

I put them in clear plastic folders and use grease pencil to mark waypoints and targets; simply wipe clean with dry paper towel and use again and again…

Regards! :S!:

#25 hoots2

hoots2

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:13

Hey bandy, these are brilliant mate!

#26 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:23

Impressive. Maybe in future we'll have some hill/mountain to show.

#27 cgjimeneza

cgjimeneza

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:13

Amazing. Will download Monday

#28 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:17

S! Thank you for your time boys.Nice manual Vasco S!

#29 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:46

Excellent, Im going to do some downloading. Cheers!

#30 Endy

Endy

Posted 11 March 2012 - 20:22

I mentioned in another post how good these maps were, but I didn't know who made them.

Thanks Bandy, they're really useful. :S!:

I don't own a printer, but I copied them onto a memory stick, and took it to where my wife works, who then printed out the whole set.

#31 sniper_dog

sniper_dog

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:44

Thanks Bandy, nice maps.

#32 cichlidfan

cichlidfan

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:02

I highley recommend laser printing these even if it means taking them out somewhere to have it done. It is well worth it for the crisp linework.

Thanks, I love maps.

#33 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:41

I printed these out ages ago and use them in every mission. Really good maps, especially if you like to know the river names

#34 Silverback

Silverback

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:11

Excellent work. Thank you :S!:

#35 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:56

Many thanks Gentlemen for positive posts!

I've found that once you know the names of the rivers and canals, as well as place names (especially in campaigns/career beta) it is just so much easier to navigate.

Just be aware!
I noticed yesterday on Vintage mission a forward German airfield just west of Corheny, just behind the lines, that does not show up on the map. I do not know if Vander it there for the mission, or if it is in the stock RoF terrain, but I will double check and add it to the map if so…

I keep on spotting villages, and an airfield every-now-and-then, that do not show up on the in-game map, so unless somebody flies everywhere and verifies these things,
no available map is accurate to the RoF rendered world, even the in-game map.

#36 Pilot_Corto

Pilot_Corto

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:18

@Bandy

Thank you very much…
for your excellent work…

#37 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:44

@ Bandy - another round of excellent work. I downloaded your .psd file and created another set of sector maps in .pdf for use on my iPhone (I had done one a while back from an earlier version of your work).

Would you have any objection if I made them available to others who might want to use them in a similar fashion (full credit to you of course for all the real work)? I could upload them and post a link here if it's OK with you.

Cheers,

Panther

#38 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:23

Would you have any objection if I made them available to others who might want to use them in a similar fashion (full credit to you of course for all the real work)? I could upload them and post a link here if it's OK with you.

Cheers, Panther
I have absolutely no objection if other formats mean more people can fly with an updated map. As I think I mentioned, this started out just for my personal use but now means so much more.

The only thing I request is that to make them more widely available that you upload them to CombatAce, where the original updated upload is available. The reason being, if the RoF community had one place to stop in and browse for third party mods then it would be so easy to keep track of updates to these mods, and mods wouldn't be lost in buried threads.

CombatAce can be that place if more people started to use it. It has been around for years, it is easy to upload and update, and they have kindly set aside a place for RoF. Patrick Wilson has his excellent Campaign generator there, Nix's sounds, etc., but we need to use it more.

So please, if you have a mod consider using CombatAce as its home.

#39 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 March 2012 - 15:50

Excellent!

A set of these sector maps for use on an iPhone, iPad or similar device, based on Bandy's excellent map file, is now available for download on the CombatAce site - see link below:

http://combatace.com...llaneous-files/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://combatace.com...es/category/420 … ous-files/

(I wasn't sure about linking directly to the file page, so the link above is to the main RoF miscellaneous file section of the web site - hope that works).

#40 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 13 March 2012 - 18:43

Im actually thinking of using one of your maps to put together a marked map of my own. This will trace the advance of a single infantry battalion on the first day of the battle of Amiens in n1918 (im going there with afe SYN chaps at the end of may). Many of the features on the map existing today and its a great way for me to be able to mark out the start line, objectives etc from back in 1918.

The level of detail is high enough that I can go to quite a low scale, unlike any other maps I have seen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users