Photo
- - - - -

Fictional skin of Busboy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 busboy

busboy

Posted 09 October 2011 - 18:49

http://www.mediafire.../N17_Busboy.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../file/n11268epe … Busboy.rar

Personal N17 skin with Esc. 3 markings. A version of this skin with kill markings and nose art on only one side was featured in my Esc 3 war diary. Nose art is "safe for work."

Thanks for your consideration. Please let me know what needs to be fixed if you vote no.

Pictures in subsequent post.

#2 busboy

busboy

Posted 09 October 2011 - 18:50

Pics attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  24.jpg   725.52KB   531 downloads
  • Attached File  23.jpg   564.13KB   531 downloads
  • Attached File  22.jpg   297.14KB   531 downloads
  • Attached File  21.jpg   705.77KB   531 downloads

#3 kea-sot

kea-sot

Posted 09 October 2011 - 22:40

Very nice.

#4 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:21

Hi,
You probably wonder why you get so many no votes. I'm all for personal skins (a lot better than pretending to be the red baron), but still, I'm afraid I would delete this one fro mmy folder. Here's why:

I fly a WWI sim to simulate WWI air combat experience (duh). A skin like yours would make me "snap out of it", like seeing Charlie Chaplin walk through the screen in Jurassic Park, if you know what I mean.

My approach to personal skins is the following:
1)research the base paint, and fine tune it (colors, saturation, etc) - your skin looks some kind of a bright blueish white, not silver at all.

2) Pick a squadron, and use thier markings - well done, N3 is a good choice ;)

3) research photos and profiles of that squadron: what kind of IDs they used (numbers or letters), where, what font, what color - then pick one for yourself - although the position of your number is OK, it's way too big, and looks liek a WWII stencil. Not the kind N3 used, and the red/white background is out of the line too. Its red color should be the same as the roundel's red, ans the mechanics would have used the same paint.

4) check what kind of personal customizations existed, and where:
this is where your skin offends my taste the most, that sign on the rudder, and top wing emblem, not to mention the detailed WWII type pin-up girl.

I hope you don't get me wrong, this is meant to be a constructive criticism. You have the right to ignore it, and if you want to fly this plane, as it is now, go ahead, it's your game ;)

#5 busboy

busboy

Posted 10 October 2011 - 15:10

Hi,
You probably wonder why you get so many no votes. I'm all for personal skins (a lot better than pretending to be the red baron), but still, I'm afraid I would delete this one fro mmy folder. Here's why:

I fly a WWI sim to simulate WWI air combat experience (duh). A skin like yours would make me "snap out of it", like seeing Charlie Chaplin walk through the screen in Jurassic Park, if you know what I mean.

My approach to personal skins is the following:
1)research the base paint, and fine tune it (colors, saturation, etc) - your skin looks some kind of a bright blueish white, not silver at all.

2) Pick a squadron, and use thier markings - well done, N3 is a good choice ;)

3) research photos and profiles of that squadron: what kind of IDs they used (numbers or letters), where, what font, what color - then pick one for yourself - although the position of your number is OK, it's way too big, and looks liek a WWII stencil. Not the kind N3 used, and the red/white background is out of the line too. Its red color should be the same as the roundel's red, ans the mechanics would have used the same paint.

4) check what kind of personal customizations existed, and where:
this is where your skin offends my taste the most, that sign on the rudder, and top wing emblem, not to mention the detailed WWII type pin-up girl.

I hope you don't get me wrong, this is meant to be a constructive criticism. You have the right to ignore it, and if you want to fly this plane, as it is now, go ahead, it's your game ;)

No, I appreciate the honest feedback. However, I didn't realize there would be such pushback from the community on fictional skins. My intent wasn't to make a skin that would fit seamlessly into an Esc lineup. However, now that I know that the community looks for stuff like that I can take it into account.

As for the colors of the silver base color: that is the template as published. If that is a major point of contention, then I guess I'll need to look at some other N17s that have been approved and see what they are doing differently.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:54

If you used the standard silver of the N17 template, then you may be taking that screenshot where it looks bluish with reflections set to "maximum" - I had to quit doing that myself, because it tends to make things look too blue for my taste (because of the reflection of the blue sky).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 40.jpg

#7 busboy

busboy

Posted 23 October 2011 - 17:33

If you used the standard silver of the N17 template, then you may be taking that screenshot where it looks bluish with reflections set to "maximum" - I had to quit doing that myself, because it tends to make things look too blue for my taste (because of the reflection of the blue sky).

That makes a lot of sense Panther. I personally do not use full reflection, however I did make the settings reflect that when I took the screenshots as per the "everything maxed out" stipulation.

#8 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 October 2011 - 19:54

Sometimes less is better, make this clown skin clean and lean.
Edit, I can not vote BTW. :!:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#9 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 October 2011 - 23:16

That makes a lot of sense Panther. I personally do not use full reflection, however I did make the settings reflect that when I took the screenshots as per the "everything maxed out" stipulation.

BTW - while you DO need to test your skin with those new settings to make sure they look OK, you do NOT need to take your screenshots using those settings, if you don't want to (I never do myself).

Since you didn't say anything about re-working this one, I'm assuming that you're through with this one, so I'll go ahead and process it - if you're still working on it (in response to some of the feedback) please PM me and I'll hold off on the submission and re-open this thread (and the poll) to give you more time. Either way is OK - it's your skin and you should make it like you want it.

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users