Photo
- - - - -

Very Nice Short Film

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 01 October 2011 - 18:38

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … r_embedded

This link was posted in SimHQ forum. It's a very nice film…gave me goosebumps :)

#2 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 01 October 2011 - 21:26

Thanks for that, I saw it a while back and it's a very nice film.

#3 Grizz10

Grizz10

Posted 01 October 2011 - 23:35

That was a great film Thanks

#4 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 02 October 2011 - 00:17

Interesting technique.

Wonder how they got the cooling jackets on the MGs to rotate….

The story? Welllll……Let's just say BYU turns out many more great pro athletes than great writers…. ;)

#5 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:02

The story? Welllll……Let's just say BYU turns out many more great pro athletes than great writers…. ;)

Well if you look how much crap nowadays appears on the Big Screen, this story is not so bad anyways.
:S!:

#6 Greywing2

Greywing2

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:53

On that day, my test was not victory or defeat….but honor…

#7 catchov

catchov

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:59

Well if you look how much crap nowadays appears on the Big Screen, this story is not so bad anyways.

Very true. :roll: And then there's reality television and the cult of the celebrity. :? WTF.

Hot Tom, why aren't you a screenwriter to sort this mess out ? You of all people know the standards of scripts these days are crap. Hollywood needs you. :S!:

#8 Ody

Ody

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:51

WOW…I hope evryone in RoF sees this…LOL.

#9 Cobra427so

Cobra427so

Posted 03 October 2011 - 21:18

Very interesting, and thought provoking. Everyone who plays multiplayer should be required to see it, LOL

Regards,
Cobra427so

#10 J9_Austin

J9_Austin

Posted 04 October 2011 - 16:51

This was done a few years ago by an old RB pilot(Ostwind). We were hoping this would be picked up by a major studio but as you know, it went no where. I bet this writer is in ROF …somewhere ;)

sig_zpsmzog27aq.jpg

#11 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 October 2011 - 18:40

Last night I watched a very interesting documentary on Turner Classic Movies (TCM): Stephen King discussing horror movies.

One of the most interesting (I thought) points he makes about recent films is that too often the special effects (CGI) dictate the story rather than the story dictating the special effects that are used, which is the way it should be.

And, of course, the dominance of CGI rather than good story telling is a result of targeting a younger audience which has become accustomed (I have a grandson who was mesmerized by MTV before he could walk or talk) to very high tech CGI and expecting each new film to outdo what they already have seen.

This "Very Nice Short Film" is a good example.

Some very effective visuals drive the film. But you couldn't get the story past a first year creative writing prof. He'd flunk it for sure.

Some see only the visuals. Some (Old Schoolers like me) only listen to the really corny narration and roll their eyes. :roll:

And I suspect the reaction of different members of the RoF "audience" also is very generational.

;)

#12 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 04 October 2011 - 18:51

Corny?.. c'mon Tom, it wasn't supposed to be a historical document or anything. It is what it is, I liked the style and the narration, there was something unique about it and highly enjoyable.

#13 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 October 2011 - 19:21

As I say, it's probably generational. Since you didn't enter anything in your profile I don't know how old you are. But I am 65 and spent most of my working life as a writer.

I mean, listen to that guy. Do real people talk that way?

No one I know does…but they're all geezers, too ;)

Oh, and Catch, I would if I could. My writing background is all newspaper journalism…non-fiction. Give me a real story and I can make it sing.

I've tried fiction and I never can get the story arcs where I think they should be. I read my favorite fictions writers (Elmore Leonard is my greatest hero; he does it all with dialogue) and I just shake my head and say, "Never in a million years could I write anything even half as good." ;)

#14 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 04 October 2011 - 19:26

lol. Stephen King….now THAT is corny.

#15 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 October 2011 - 19:41

lol. Stephen King….now THAT is corny.

Personally, I'm not a Stephen King fan and find his stories easily predictable (and, yes, sometimes quite corny).

But his ability to turn a phrase, set a scene and crank out dialogue are really excellent.

Anyway, The Tigers beat the Yankees and I was flipping channels and there he was so I watched :mrgreen:

King's a geezer, too (one year younger than me) and Elmore Leonard (he's 85 and still cranking out great novels) is King's favorite writer, too, so I figured it was time well spent :mrgreen:

#16 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 04 October 2011 - 20:16

(Elmore Leonard is my greatest hero; he does it all with dialogue) and I just shake my head and say, "Never in a million years could I write anything even half as good." ;)

Here we agree. My favourite authors:

1. James Elroy
2. Hunter Thompson
3. Elmore Leonard

#17 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 October 2011 - 20:26

(Elmore Leonard is my greatest hero; he does it all with dialogue) and I just shake my head and say, "Never in a million years could I write anything even half as good." ;)

1. James Elroy
2. Hunter Thompson
3. Elmore Leonard

Well two out of three ain't bad.

Leonard's early stuff was all Westerns (source for many good movies including "Hombre" and "The Tall T" and "Valdez is Coming," all set in southern Arizona where I now live, and much of his later crime stuff was set in Detroit, where I grew up, so there is an immediate built-in affinity.

Ellroy's (two ls) "L.A. Confidential" is brilliant as are many of his other works. Here's an interesting interview: http://www.identityt...birnbaum13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.identityt...birnbaum13.html

Hunter Thompson I could take in small doses :mrgreen:

HT

#18 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 04 October 2011 - 20:29

I saw James Elroy speak at the Cheltenham Literature festival last year. Incredibly dark but fascinating person and with a mesmerising intensity (yet still very much a showman and full of grim humour) fully recommended to anyone.

#19 catchov

catchov

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:43

THE TIGERS BEAT THE YANKEES ! :?

#20 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:01

1. James Elroy
2. Hunter Thompson
3. Elmore Leonard

Put Douglas Adams in there and you've got a new best friend.

@HotTom, Read the "Dark Tower" books and get back to me.

As for the film, it was heavily stylised. I kinda thought that was the point.

#21 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:06

I've read "Hitchhiker's Guide…" Very good. I checked on Amazon and he's written a whole stack of others.

Bookmarked it!

Thanks!

#22 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:18

Stephen King did the Dark Tower series Tom, much different to his horror stuff. Adams is a legend who was taken from us far too soon.

#23 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:59

Some of King's non-horror work is brilliant.

The excellent film "Stand By Me" was taken from a King novella called "The Body."

Most of his stuff is just overblown and you can guess the ending right in the beginning. In "The Shining," the book not the movie, which is very different, he spent pages in the first chapter describing the boiler system in the hotel.

Guess what blows up in the end of the book? ;)

#24 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:10

Interesting technique.

Wonder how they got the cooling jackets on the MGs to rotate….

how he got them to rotate i don't know (i could have sworn they wer fokker mg's (engine driven guns developed by fokker) but it is a nice story.

#25 R_Suppards

R_Suppards

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:45

To my mind the film can be summed up in one word–rubbish.
First problem is graphics. Anything historic must be chronologically accurate and this fails on two very obvious points. The first is the rotating gun barrels. They appeared on the first Gatling and Maxims and have reappeared in recent times, but in WWI they used a fixed jacketed barrel. Then there is the far from accurate speed that is more appropriate to WWII. The visuals are what first attracts and as soon as a mistake is obvious linkage to the viewer is lost.

As to the writing it is mawkish in the extreme. By all means pay tribute to the sense of honour that sometimes occurred, but this presentation reduces it to absurdity. When writing it is a good idea to pay attention to the pace of the idea. A simple example is the sentence length. A long sentence slows the action, a short sentence creates tension. This writing lacked the necessary change of pace between the time the pilot was pensive and when he was in action. It was all one long dirge.

#26 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:23

I agree, I hated Batman too.

Vigilantes aren't genetically manipulated bat human/hybrids, they're usually inbred sociopaths who delight in taking the law into their own hands. And don't even get me started on the Batmobile, gosh, how is that realistic for a modern car? The aerodynamics of it alone would be terrible, let alone the insurance premiums and the mileage.

What in the hell was Bob Kane thinking when he dreamed that rubbish up?

#27 Vertigo72

Vertigo72

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:51

IM considering redoing this movie with RoF footage. I already made a first attempt at the skin he used for the D7. If anyone feels like helping out, send me a pm. I need a another pilot or 2 for the flying scenes, AI only gets you so far.

#28 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 12 October 2011 - 19:52

I won't watch anything with rotating barrel shrouds. That's bullshit in the first degree.

#29 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 12 October 2011 - 20:28

lol.. it wasn't meant to be historical. It was just a story.

#30 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 12 October 2011 - 21:17

I won't watch anything with rotating barrel shrouds. That's bullshit in the first degree.
that was just retarded. it would have been cheaper to just have a stationary barrel anyway.

#31 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:47

Anybody with the reasoning skills of a 6 year old would be able to tell that the depiction of something (ie:rotating cooling jackets) that doesn't exist, is supposed to be a depiction of something fictitious.

An 8 year old would be able to discern that fiction falls into many categories.

A literate and intelligent adult should be able to name at least five of those categories within a minute. The most identifiable of those categories would be pure fantasy since the ability to discern between that, and reality, is an evolutionary imperative.

SO?

Are you retarded or just being an ass?

#32 catchov

catchov

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:14

Yes it's quite a strange reaction I admit. :?

It's an artsy film. Art for arts sake and all that jazz. Ambience over truth. It's not meant to be a documentary. :lol:

#33 Vertigo72

Vertigo72

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:20

Also turns out Von Kellerman didnt really exist. "Bullshit to first degree"
:lol:

#34 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 13 October 2011 - 15:25

I guess some people are nitpickers and can't enjoy something for what it's worth. I feel sorry for them as I bet they live life fixated on what's wrong with things instead of stopping for a moment and enjoying what's right with them. *shrug*

#35 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 13 October 2011 - 15:42

I don't demand absolute historical-ness. I enjoyed Flyboys despite its faults. But rotating barrel jackets? That's absurd. There's a big difference between fiction and ridiculous. I wasn't happy about the errors in Flyboys, but at least most of them had some sort of reason behind them, and they generally weren't completely unbelievable (e.g. it isn't inconceivable that there could have been an all-red squadron in the Great War). The spinning barrel shrouds, on the other hand, are simply profane. It's like the missile from Behind Enemy Lines. Not just wrong to the degree of cringe-inducing, but wrong to the degree of laughing and walking away. But, whatever. I guess if you have low standards, you're happier in the long run. [shrug]

#36 Vertigo72

Vertigo72

Posted 13 October 2011 - 16:01

If you hadnt burst out laughing and stopped watching, perhaps you might have discovered the movie isnt about barrel jackets. Nor is it about WW1 aviation history, technology or physics. Its creator is a story teller, he is not a WW1 historian. Its basically a cartoon. But I guess you walked out of the Dark Knight when Batman started flying?

#37 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 13 October 2011 - 16:06

Forget the machine gun.

Forget the graphics.

What remains is still a dumb, trite story riddled with cliches and devoid of any message or narrative arc.

#38 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 13 October 2011 - 16:23

So why not walk away like you say Josh instead of lurking around the thread?

#39 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 13 October 2011 - 17:47

Its creator is a story teller, he is not a WW1 historian. Its basically a cartoon. But I guess you walked out of the Dark Knight when Batman started flying?

1. I'm not a historian, either. I don't give much of a shit about history now. But those old warbirds are sacred to me.
2. I don't like cartoons, with the rare exception of certain comedic ones.
3. The Dark Knight wasn't historical or realistic by any means, obviously, but it made an effort to make things semi-believable. That is, it didn't deliberately kill suspension of disbelief. Durr.

So why not walk away like you say Josh instead of lurking around the thread?

Coz I was talking about walking away from the movie, and not the discussion? This is a dumb conversation, though; I'm a fool for attempting to reason with you lot.

#40 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 13 October 2011 - 18:29

Childish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users