Photo
- - - - -

SPAD VII (180Hp), Sous-Lt Edmond Thieffry

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 24 September 2011 - 17:42

SPAD VII (180Hp), 5eme Escadrille Belge, Sous-Lt Edmond Thieffry, autumn/Winter 1917

Get it here

The Aerodrome:
source 1 – "I haven't seen appriopriate photo od Thieffry's late Spad VII, but I suspect it might have been manufactured by Blériot. Hence the roundels on the wings are supposed to be smaller than the entire chord (e.g. 130cm on the upper wings), and aligned to the leading edges.

It is also probable, that Thieffry Spad had very light rib tapes applied atop the camouflage and roundels. Such field modification was common on Belgian Spads."

Note 1: I have opted for the smaller roundels, light upper surface taping, and CDL vs silver-dope.

Source 2 – "Its next Spad VII was more colorful. Its fuselage and wings bottom surfaces were CDL (or silver doped). The upper fuselage and wings upper surfaces were painted in Belgian kaki.

Each side was adorned with the red comet and a broad band (approximately large as the wheel cover) equally divided in white/red/white. This band was painted just aft of the headrest fairing. The wheel covers are painted with the same sheme (as on its Nieuport 23) but on each side of the wheel (internal and external). The nose panel was equally divided in 24 lines of alternate red and white colour. This aircraft had not the standard Spad windscreen but one of a Nieuport 23. Sadly, I don't know its Belgian serial."

Note 2: I attempted to create a facsimile of the windscreen as described (and included in the attached photo). While able to successefully remove portions of the framing, I was unable to remove the glass panels themselves, due to modeling technicalities beyond my control. (The transparent glass panels where left floating in space.) So, I left the default wind screen as is.

Note 3: You will also notice a 3-vent configuration of the engine-cowling. The attached profile is backed up by a photo of Thieffry posing next to this aircraft (also attached).

Source 3: – Osprey - Aircraft - 039 - SPAD VII Aces Of World War 1:
Pages 56, 64, 65

#2 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 24 September 2011 - 19:29

WoW :shock:
Wonderful Skin
Yes

#3 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 24 September 2011 - 19:38

Heck yeah! We need more Belgium skins, especially awesome ones, like this one! S! MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#4 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 24 September 2011 - 19:40

Heel mooi. :S!:

#5 Grizz10

Grizz10

Posted 24 September 2011 - 19:51

Yes.Nice work.

#6 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 September 2011 - 21:04

Incredibly beautiful :0o:

#7 WWWringer

WWWringer

Posted 24 September 2011 - 21:21

Yes. Gorgeous - as usual Dub. You continually set your personal bar higher and higher. I particularly like the Belgian markings in general so this is an inspired choice.

#8 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 24 September 2011 - 21:27

VERY nice!

#9 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 24 September 2011 - 21:43

Classy as always, Dubya! +1

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#10 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 24 September 2011 - 21:45

I especially find your presentation very appealing. Packing a summary of a research and a screenshot together into an image is a great idea in my opinion!

And the job done is great, of course!

#11 MadTrooper

MadTrooper

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:11

Yes, brilliant !! nice job!

#12 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:30

Nice! but how about some dirt and oil?

#13 NavyGunner

NavyGunner

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:49

Very nice work Dub !!

#14 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:45

You are using Ospray Sapd7 aces, for this skin.
In my book W. Pieters "The Belgium airservice" I do not see that big red/white lining only a small one, was this plane his first Spad7.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#15 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:29

Very beautiful, zeer mooi?

Yes/Ja.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#16 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:16

You are using Ospray Sapd7 aces, for this skin.
In my book W. Pieters "The Belgium airservice" I do not see that big red/white lining only a small one, was this plane his first Spad7.

According to posts #8 and #9 in the Aerodrome link I submitted, The authors, Tomasz and Philippe, state that Thieffry's first SPAD VII (Id # SP1) was delivered in standard CDL, including the nose section. Shortly afterward, a PC10-ish lacquer was applied to all upper surfaces. There is no mention at the Aerodrome about any other personal markings on that particular aircraft, though my Osprey source hints that his first SPAD did indeed have 5e's shooting star emblem – and quite possibly had other personal markings.

Thieffry's second SPAD VII was more flamboyantly marked, specifying that the fuselage banding was approximately the same width as the wheel cover width (not the wheel cover's red band width), and positioned just aft of the head faring 'bubble'. In the smaller photo where he is posing in front of his aircraft, you can just barely make out the red and white banding in the described location.

In my Osprey source, There is a photograph of another Belgian pilot (Sous-Lt Charles Ciselet) of 5e Escadrille, climbing out of the cockpit of another SPAD VII that has similar markings. The markings on this aircraft have the shooting star, but the fuselage band is much narrower, is much closer to the cockpit opening (over-wrapping approximately the center of the head faring 'bubble'), and is under the shooting star emblem.

#17 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:34

What is seen in Walter Pietrs book are B/W photo's of his plane, but I do not that big lining so maybe his first plane.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#18 =FB=Chapay

=FB=Chapay

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:40

perfect presentation! bravo!

#19 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 25 September 2011 - 18:52

What is seen in Walter Pietrs book are B/W photo's of his plane, but I do not that big lining so maybe his first plane.

Quite possibly, Dutch. Would you mind scanning a copy of that picture and shooting it my way? I was planning on presenting Thieffry's early SPAD in its various stages of coloration (a three-fer if you will). This photo will help me do that.

Thanks!

#20 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 September 2011 - 19:17

I will do that, also the Marc Miller drawings, but keep in your mind that will be next weekend. I have to work hard to get my family going on.
I think it is splendid you make those Belgium skin.

#21 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 25 September 2011 - 22:21

Very good, no problem on the timing (family ALWAYS comes first!), and thanks for the info when it does come!

Salute!

#22 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 September 2011 - 22:22

very clean but it looks nice! +1

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#23 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 01 October 2011 - 14:56

see PM!!!

#24 Brutal_Baron

Brutal_Baron

Posted 01 October 2011 - 16:03

Really nice work. I can't understand why anyone would vote no. They should at least should explain their "no" vote.

#25 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 01 October 2011 - 19:02

Indeed.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#26 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 02 October 2011 - 14:03

Nice job.

#27 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 02 October 2011 - 18:34

Wow 48 yes, this means you can not stop on making Belgium planes. LOL

Please go on, more info for new Belgium projects let me know!!!

#28 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:08

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users