Photo
- - - - -

YouTube Movie Making Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:04

Okey guys , lot of people ask for my help about how to starting a youtube movie ,this is a very basic guide to take you through the technical set up to get a video captured from a game and produce an edited movie. I will keep it to the basics for this guide and stick to one process, the process that I currently use for my own movies. These concepts can be transferred to any setup.
You will need FRAPS to capture the game footage, VirtualDub for pre and post processing and a non linear editor - in my case I am using Sony Vegas 10 . Codecs
1) Set up your game, ROF, the best settings if it is possible and best resolution
Set up Fraps as shown, and capture your raw footage.
2 ) Start Sony Vegas.
Click ˜File' then ˜Properties' and enter all the settings shown below. Save this setup for future use by pressing the disk icon.
Drop the clip ˜blabla clip - into the first video track.
Click the Event Pan/Crop icon in the clip, then right click on the preview in the Event Pan/Crop window and select ˜Match Output Aspect' (you can do a lot more creative camera work with this window) Close the Event Pan/Crop window.or see the image below!
You can then add any more raw video captures but for this guide we are keeping it very basic with just one clip.

Drop some music into the first audio track and change the duration to match the video clip. Add fades at the start and end of the video and music track.

3 ) After your project is finished Click ˜File', then ˜Render As'.

The first time you do this you need to set up the render settings and save them. For subsequent renders you just use the saved settings (See foto). To get a clean template, open the Template drop down menu and select ˜Default Template'.

Click ˜Custom', then click the ˜Video' tab and enter all the settings shown below (Also click " PROJECT " and set video Rendering Quality To the "BEST"). Save this setup by giving it a name and pressing the disk icon.
Press OK, make the File name ˜Test' and press ˜Save'.

IMPORTANT : THIS SETTINGS ARE FOR HD 1080x720 the highest resolution for youtube

NOTE : useful Tools and downloads
1) FRAPS : http://www.fraps.com/download.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fraps.com/download.php
For clear smooth Recorded clips the best solution is to record your clips with TrackIr and set it to smooth sensitivity!

Hope to See new movies From new Movie makers
Cheers,
Antonis K.

#2 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:02

Great tutorial!

rOEN, I Read your PM, but I can't make this stick as I'm not a forum moderator. I think squid is.

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 September 2011 - 13:12

Been looking for something like this as I've been thinking about trying my hand at some videos - thanks for putting this together.

(made it sticky while I was at it :) )

By the way - it would be helpful to add something about any good ways to manipulate/control camera views and otherwise edit recorded tracks during track playback - that's the part I've found most daunting in thinking about this so far.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#4 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 14 September 2011 - 13:29

By the way - it would be helpful to add something about any good ways to manipulate/control camera views and otherwise edit recorded tracks during track playback - that's the part I've found most daunting in thinking about this so far.

You can get realistic camera shots by using the mouse to track rather than pre-set padlock views. It takes a bit of practice but the 'not quite perfect' tracking adds realism.

#5 Slowthrill

Slowthrill

Posted 16 October 2011 - 20:39

Definately, it feels more like looking around, a bit scary war effect like. I use the mouse too and love it! :)

#6 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:34

I'm definately no rEON and I use AVS Video editor instead of Sony Vegas, but I can tell you making videos is a ton of fun. I love watching what others do too. rOEN's work is simply amazing.

Here's a link to my Rise of Flight Multiplayer Dogfight video thread I started.
Rise of Flight Multiplayer Dogfights video thread

Let me know what you think!

Hellshade

#7 Welshie

Welshie

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:49

Cheers rOEN, great tutorial :S!:

#8 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:21

looking good ;)
Thanks Welshie..

#9 bearitall

bearitall

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:33

I'm definately no rEON and I use AVS Video editor instead of Sony Vegas, but I can tell you making videos is a ton of fun. I love watching what others do too. rOEN's work is simply amazing.

Here's a link to my Rise of Flight Multiplayer Dogfight video thread I started.
Rise of Flight Multiplayer Dogfights video thread

Let me know what you think!

Hellshade

Question? is there a separate avi file or is all the inflight game video on " Fraps " in real time..no recording then playback and record with Fraps…then make the movie with Sony Vegas???

#10 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:45

bearitall,

Record a demo using ROF demo recorder, After play the Demo and record the clips using Fraps.

#11 bearitall

bearitall

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:12

bearitall,

Record a demo using ROF demo recorder, After play the Demo and record the clips using Fraps.

Where do I find this demo recorder..or does the free demo sim not allow you to use this until a purchase is done??

#12 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:16

ctrl+R for recording On/off , when the mission starts, you will se to your settings bar up to the right an® Flashing,
After you can run the Records from the main menu ,there is an option for that.

#13 bearitall

bearitall

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:16

ctrl+R for recording On/off , when the mission starts, you will se to your settings bar up to the right an® Flashing,
After you can run the Records from the main menu ,there is an option for that.

Okay thanks for this infomation

#14 megancheung

megancheung

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:33

hey-ya…thanks for your shanring,i got it.

#15 89

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:26

Dear rOEN911!

Firstly- MANY thanks for the great tutorial! It definitely helped me to stop being afraid and to transition from Windows Movie Maker to Vegas. Thank you!

I also have one question: I record in my native resolution of 1680:1050, but after rendering, videos come out with a black box not just on two sides, but all around the perimeter!

The frustrating thing is I somehow solved this problem just by randomly changing settings, but this was a few months ago, and now for the life of me I can not repeat the solution :( I cant even remember which settings I messed around with back then.
Could you possibly help?

#16 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:09

Its very easy to be honest ,First of all you need to set your render settings here http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OuJhjhRqkTE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> after add a video to the timeline and go to the arrow to the right corner and press it,that arrow call Event Pan/Crop.Here is a very eary tutorial how to set your image http://www.youtube.c...h?v=W4iP_GW-iGk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> When you finish save your pan/crop preset so every time you adding new video just open pan/crop and click your preset settings Do the same with your render settings….so in two seconds you have your clip ready for render :)

Hope i helped !

#17 89

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:23

Thanks man!:) Really appreciate it!
I will try it out this evening.

EDIT:

Ok it worked! Sort of - instead of "zooming in", the video has bits cut out from the top and bottom. It kinda ruins the composition, so I'll experiment some more tomorrow.

I've simply set 1280:720 in "Project Properties", hit apply and then, in "Event Pan/Crop" selected one by one each and every clip in the project and right-clicked the big screen to "Match with Destination".

#18 JG4_Karaya

JG4_Karaya

Posted 20 December 2012 - 13:49

I would recommend using Bandicam instead of Fraps simply because it is much more resource friendly and does not bring the entire system to its knees!

#19 warbirds

warbirds

Posted 03 January 2013 - 15:46

Just got Vegas and plan on doing a few videos. What do you use in Vegas to get the old film look, not black and white but old color stock?

#20 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:08

depends ,are many ways,i prefer to create a transparent layer to photoshop with the color i want and then place it above the video

#21 WW1Addict

WW1Addict

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:00

Do we have permission from 1C and 777 to post to youtube for profit?

#22 comte

comte

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:44

Is there any free (and XP compatible) alternative to FRAPS?

#23 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:54

OBS Studio I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users