This mod is based on Gavagai's excellent GunnerAI mod and incorporates its sector limits (to adjust the firing arcs of the gunners). I would like to thank him for his assistance. However, this pack doesn't include the decreased tracer frequency mod, the faster bomb detonation mod, Criquet's AI mod or the reduced gunner durability mod. You'll have to add those one your own.
New versions will come as I have time to test, make corrections and further tweak the values or get feedback.
The biggest change for 1.025 is that I've removed the AI tweaks from the mod (pending development into a separate mod). The dispersion rate for the parabellum has also been adjusted and support for the D.H.4 has been added.
If changes are still possible after 1.026 the gunner AI will also be revisited. The next version is planned to decrease (rather than increase) the differences between AI skill levels. This should allow better tweaking to ensure the AI behaves relatively plausibly without being implausibly effective (eg. I aim for a 2/3 exchange ratio in favour of scouts, at average AI settings, this certainly doesn't happen in the sim with default settings).
- Place the data directory in your Rise of Flight directory (so the files should be in [Rise of Flight]\data\LuaScripts\worldobjects\*.*)
- Remember to select "mods on" in the option menu!
Features in the new version 1.025
- Increased dispersion makes gunners less effective at long range and against ground targets (however, it makes radiator kills more likely)
- Slower turret rotations speeds recreate some of the difficulties of turning the gun, aiming and firing (three separate tasks) from a moving plane and makes close range shooting more of a challenge. This feature also makes different types of enemy gunners more diverse opponents.
- Gunner AI was been radically reworked to be less predictable and more frantic. The overall effect is more human and more frightening. However, these changes have been removed to until after 1.026 is released.
- The goal is to make the gunners more realistic and more challenging for the player to use (generally increasing enjoyment).
- Rotation speeds for the gunner rings were reduced further. The pintle mount of the Parabellum is still relatively nimble. However, the the gunner rings are almost as slow, and the Scarff ring has difficulty tracking targets at close range (especially when weighed down by a second Lewis gun). Compared to previous versions the Lewis gun has increased accuracy (1.023b) and slightly reduced mobility in pitch (limiting the ability to follow fighters at point-blank range).
- The gun axis are more likely to move independently (eg. the pintle's yaw moves first, then the ring moves).
- Gun jam frequencies were increased slightly for the twin Lewis guns (to better match the R.E.8), overall gun jams were reduced slightly.
- All guns have increased dispersion compared to default settings, however these have been reduced compared to earlier versions of this mod (particularly for the parabellum). The effect of burst length on dispersion has been reduced. The Lewis has a higher initial dispersion value, but the the parabellum's dispersion should increase more quickly.
- An updated set of sector limits has been incorporated (courtesy of Gavagai - with a few further tweaks by me)
- Precision of gun rotation was reduced slightly
Gunner posture effects:
- The modifications of the effects of G forces and reaction times to suprise attacks have been removed to the AI mod (see above).
- Gunners take slightly longer to change stances (tweaked for each position/aircraft)
- The O/400 dorsal gunner shifts position more rapidly (but still less rapidly than the original. A variation is available which modifies the animations and firing arcs to allow the Handley-Page O/400's dorsal gunner to fire backwards (This seems to have been possible in reality, given the mounting, although bracing would get increasingly difficult. The main problem with these settings is that the gunner's 3d model either has to cease lining up with the gun animation or tends to bisect the fuselage. This limitation to the animation system may have motivated the programming of the current limitations to the firing arcs)
- Removed to a separate mod. This mod will be developed separately for 1.027
- Support has been added for the R.E.8, CL.II and D.H.4
- Three ammunition drums were transfered from the ventral to the dorsal position on the HP 0/400 (as the positions
were connected in flight).
- For those wishing to reduce gunner hitpoints, please see Gavagai's excellent modification.
- Traverse rates reduced to 1/2 (allowing reasonable rotation times and simulating coarse traverse)
- Elevation rates reduced to 1/30 (simulating fine traverse and fusing difficulties)
- Anti-Aircraft guns should now prioritise targets which are further away, rather than nearby (if both are available)
- Accuracy is reduced (High AI skills has double, medium has almost twice, and low has 1.5 times more inaccuacy)
- Fire/Sighting correction is slightly less frequent. Aim correction may now be optimised for longer range (not sure of this) and engagement ranges were increased slightly.
- The pause between reloading and resuming turning of the gun was increased in length. Rate of fire was adjusted slightly.
- Minimum pitch angles of 9-10 degrees added for truck mounted anti-aircraft guns (warning - may effect scenarios where they have to shoot other ground targets)
- Blast radii are increased, while air-pressure was decreased (to compensate for the increased radius). This may increase the distance that shrapnel travels. This change is only present when the explosion is caused by the time fuze.
- Effective TNT of explosion reduced to 1/10th of its original value. This change probably does not actually have an effect (pending testing). This change is only present when the explosion is caused by the time fuze.
These changes do not effect anti-aircraft machineguns - They only effect the QF 13 and 7.7cm 1914 Flak cannons.
Let me know what you think,