Photo
- - - - -

Best FPS/eye candy in ROF

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:03

hey fifi, i wouldnt of belived it, but i tried this too (the multi GPU check) and i got about 10fps extra too. Im running a Nvidia 460! Nice find :D

You're welcome! :) It was a surprising find, though!

#42 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:53

hey fifi, i wouldnt of belived it, but i tried this too (the multi GPU check) and i got about 10fps extra too. Im running a Nvidia 460! Nice find :D

You're welcome! :) It was a surprising find, though!

Too many pronouns (it, this) confused me (easy to do) :mrgreen:

You get better frame rates with the box checked or unchecked?

#43 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:57

Tom, I think you are slipping. It's all spelled out on the previous page in this post. :D

#44 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 September 2011 - 22:11

Tom, I think you are slipping. It's all spelled out on the previous page in this post. :D

I'm not slipping!

(I've slipped!) :oops:

He did say: By checking this box

Would you hand me my white cane, please? And those dark glasses? :mrgreen:

Thx, arj!

#45 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 September 2011 - 22:33

Wow! Works with ATI 6870, too!

Checked the box and got a 10 to 12 FPS increase!

Thank you, Fifi!

:S!:

HT

#46 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 September 2011 - 23:18

Wow! Works with ATI 6870, too!

Checked the box and got a 10 to 12 FPS increase!

Thank you, Fifi!

:S!:

HT

That's cool Tom! :D

#47 Sherman7

Sherman7

Posted 26 September 2011 - 23:29

Worked on my 5770 also. 10-15 FPS increase. Didn't get any micro-stutters during an hour of flight.

#48 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 26 September 2011 - 23:58

Seems to work for my 9800GT also although I get a little stutter in overcast flights.

#49 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 27 September 2011 - 00:20

I have a GTX285 1GB in my XP 32 system. I checked 2 views on each of 2 planes with both settings 2 times with a reboot in between. Readings were consistent. I am receiving 10-12 fps higher with the Multi-GPU box checked. So far, no CTDs.

Amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

#50 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 27 September 2011 - 00:30

So far, no CTDs.

I don't think this soluce is CTD related though.
It seems to affect only FPS to me.
But if you get rid of CTDs…that's great!

#51 Sherman7

Sherman7

Posted 27 September 2011 - 00:31

I have a GTX285 1GB in my XP 32 system. I checked 2 views on each of 2 planes with both settings 2 times with a reboot in between. Readings were consistent. I am receiving 10-12 fps higher with the Multi-GPU box checked. So far, no CTDs.

Amazing. Thanks for the heads up.
I think it's your OS more than anything. I'm still running DOS 1.0. Saving up for the upgrade.

#52 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 27 September 2011 - 00:34

Using the Multi-GPU option was mentioned in Jasons "Graphics primer" thread…

Graphics Primer for ver. 1.019 / 1.020

Snippet from after the SLi recommended settings screenshots.

Additionally, single video card users may also turn on SLI/Crossfire support and gain some performance. The reason for this is because Multi-GPU support turns on some optimizations that even single cards may find helpful. However, this may introduce the same possible micro-stutters mentioned above.

#53 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 27 September 2011 - 00:37

Additionally, single video card users may also turn on SLI/Crossfire support and gain some performance. The reason for this is because Multi-GPU support turns on some optimizations that even single cards may find helpful. However, this may introduce the same possible micro-stutters mentioned above.

Ah…good to know! Thanks Miggins :S!:

#54 Greywing2

Greywing2

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:00

thats why I left multi gpu option unticked…

#55 Sherman7

Sherman7

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:28

I'm back to multi-GPU unchecked. Been getting CTDs' and freezes that I never had before. Not worth the extra FPS, as if they are visually noticeable anyway. My GPU did seem to run a little cooler, so maybe Multi-GPU checked utilizes the cards resources better. Definitely not utilizing its' clocks speeds upper end limits.

#56 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:48

I'm back to multi-GPU unchecked. Been getting CTDs' and freezes that I never had before. Not worth the extra FPS, as if they are visually noticeable anyway. My GPU did seem to run a little cooler, so maybe Multi-GPU checked utilizes the cards resources better. Definitely not utilizing its' clocks speeds upper end limits.

Thanks for the head up :S!:

#57 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:10

For those getting stutter with this trick, try turning post effects off (HDR, Bloom etc) and see how it changes things, it gives me a big improvement (9800GT, 3Gb RAM, Quad core, WinXP).

I still get an FPS drain near clouds though and nothing I do seems to get rid of that short of disabling shadows and anti aliasing.

#58 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 February 2012 - 22:38

UPDATED FOR 1.023:

My new spec: I7 875k @2.93 Ghz, Zotac 580 1.5 Gb, Win7 64 bit 6Gb RAM

The following settings are for best eye candy with good enough FPS using dither vegetation feature.
Very low on ground i get around 25-30 FPS, higher around 40/45 without any stutter.
Game is running fluently enough to not see any slow down even in career mode with others planes involved, and by bad weather with rain drops.

Attached File  1.jpg   136.93KB   405 downloads
Attached File  2.jpg   238.95KB   405 downloads

Note:
- HDR off, cause i prefer beeing blinded by sun glare.
- Shadows special medium, cause i don't see ANY difference with high, and save perf.
- Reflections high, cause i don't like the maximum (grass/sky reflexion on wings not realistic imo)
- AA mode selector override, gives the hangar perfect plane lines
- AA mode method supersample X16, is the best lines rendering in external views
- Triple buffering enabled gives me better perf

Sound is set on medium quality (save perf and no difference heard) and 64.
With my headset, 128 gives me too many planes sounds in dogfight, even those not really close.
It's confusing me, and i prefer hearing closest ones.

About dither vegetation

To run nicely dither vegetation, ROF supersampling has to be on.
But i can't keep my ROF AAX8 (big slideshow)…and lower ROF AA gives me jaggies lines.
So i had to turn around by setting good AA in inspector.

Without ROF supersampling, top trees are pixelized:
Attached File  dither without supersampling.png   3.36MB   405 downloads

With ROF supersampling and dither:
Attached File  with dither and supersampling.png   3.3MB   405 downloads

Without dither:
Attached File  without dither.png   3.16MB   405 downloads

With dither:
Attached File  with dither and supersampling 2.png   4.51MB   405 downloads

Without:
Attached File  without dither 2.png   4.27MB   405 downloads

In game difference is bigger than those png shots can show, sadly.
And bitmap shots are too big to upload here.
Also i found a lot less blinking trees with dither on.

Plane in hangar is now with perfect edge lines:
Attached File  hangar + AAX16.png   1.96MB   405 downloads

And external view are enough nice for me.
Attached File  2012_2_12__21_9_22.png   2.19MB   405 downloads

Inside cockpit is just perfect.

#59 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 13 February 2012 - 00:47

Fifi, have you noticed that no matter what settings are set via the RoF control panel or Nvidia inspector that your video card is not going above a certain amount of usage? I have tried basically every setting and can not get more than 61% usage on the GPU. Every different setting combo runs exactly the same (HDR on HDR off Landscape set to low medium or high AA on AA off shadows set High or medium) it does not matter except when I enable super sample and have AA set to over 2x in the RoF video settings. Even then I do not see any difference in the amount of usage on my GPU or CPU, but the game becomes a slideshow. The only thing I ever see change via my EVGA precision is the amount of Vram usage. I've had that as low as 31% and as high as 98% and see no difference in how the game runs as there always seems to be a slight amount of stutter in certain situations.

Perhaps one of the guys who programs this game can enlighten me as to why the only thing that increases when you bump up the eye candy is Video cards ram usage and not the actual GPU itself.

specs:
AMD 6core @3.2
Geforce 560ti SC
Win7 64bit
8GB ram

#60 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:55

Fifi, have you noticed that no matter what settings are set via the RoF control panel or Nvidia inspector that your video card is not going above a certain amount of usage?

No, i didn't check that…strange.

What bother me, is some settings in Nvidia inspector seems to not be fully taken in ROF.
For instance, my inspector AAX16 should be much better than ROF AAX8!
Not exactly the case :?

Other thing i just discovered, is i couldn't run ROF with ROF supersampling on and ROF AAX8 before last patch unless big stuttering.
Now i can pretty smooth! (but not as good rendering as posted above)
Don't understand what may have changed.

#61 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:36

Always improving! :D

For 580 owners, and quite similar rig, you can run this:

Exact same ROF launcher settings as post above, plus:

Attached File  Sans titre.jpg   250.1KB   905 downloads

In addition to AAX16 and override (as post above) i decided to try anisotropic X16 with aniso selector user, to force it…and enhancement high quality.
Trilinear optimisation (trilin slope on) in fact is not really necessary. Doesn't bring anything.
Good result, no FPS lost, better quality :P

I think i'm now limited by my resolution (1920X1080)…so i'll stop it :mrgreen:

#62 yaan98

yaan98

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:02

Fifi - Thanks for sharing.

I will try your settings to see what kind of FPS I can get.

When I was getting anything less than 45 FPS, I did notice a bit of microstuttering (I'll see if unchecking the Multi-GPU makes a difference). At 60 FPS, it's silky smooth. If I can get the same smoothness running 30 FPS with enhanced eye candy, I'll be a happy camper.

I'll try to report back my experiences when I get back from my travels.

#63 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:35

That's for beeing able to get nice dither vegetation though!
If you don't care with trees (anyway dither is only working low levels), don't bother with that.

#64 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:16

On other hand, i found very nice settings on my rig, to get plenty FPS/eye candy (45 on ground!)

Attached File  Sans titre.jpg   132.42KB   831 downloads
Attached File  Sans titre2.jpg   222.45KB   831 downloads

This is for no dither vegetation, with perfect plane edges/lines/wires.
No shimmering at all, and good crisp textures.

I highly recomand to allow SGSSA X2, and not higher, cause it gives to much blur on higher settings.
X2 is perfect to get rid of any shimmer.

#65 yaan98

yaan98

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:16

Just tested these settings out, but unfortunately I can't get above 22 FPS. Strange because my rig has a 580, but can't handle the SSx16 - Most I can use is x4.

A good note is that I did notice no more microstutters when I unchecked the Multi-GPU.

So, sadly I've reverted back to my old settings (posted in a different thread) which don't look too bad and is very smooth. I'm also using FXAA. So, unless there are any major changes to the game engine, I think that my testing is over and it's time to get back to flying.

#66 89

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:59

Dear Fifi!

Many many thanks for your posts!! Thanks to you I have jsut seen how beautiful ROF can look on my machine, for the first time AA is working, there is next to no shimmering wires. And all at 30-60 fps with 30 planes on screen! My card is not as powerful as yours, so I can not run supersampling. The only two things that I would like to improve is lack of AA on landscape in medium to far distance, and planes in museum. Which of your inspector settings are responsible for these two things? At the moment I do not have anything set through Nvidia Nspector, everything is set in RoF settings…

#67 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 03 March 2012 - 20:54

The only two things that I would like to improve is lack of AA on landscape in medium to far distance, and planes in museum. Which of your inspector settings are responsible for these two things?

Well for the museum, you have to select a good AA in inspector (like supersample X8) and select mode selector override. This is the only way i found to give museum good planes shape with no jaggies.
But i'm not sure you'll be able to keep the ROF AAX8 with this inspector settings…so i would let aside the museum improvment (anyway we aren't that much time in it!)
Of all the AA i tested, only the ROF one X8 is the best! Even better than the inspector supersample X16!
That's one of the things i don't really understand :?

As said above, best is to use transparency supersampling SSGSA X2 or X4 for landscape AA improvment, in addition of ROF AAX8…

#68 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 October 2012 - 23:22

Digging out this old thread for a little head up :)

Reading about anisotropic filtering:

In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (abbreviated AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces of computer graphics that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture (not the polygon or other primitive on which it is rendered) appears to be non-orthogonal (thus the origin of the word: "an" for not, "iso" for same, and "tropic" from tropism, relating to direction; anisotropic filtering does not filter the same in every direction).
Like bilinear and trilinear filtering, anisotropic filtering eliminates aliasing effects, but improves on these other techniques by reducing blur and preserving detail at extreme viewing angles.
Anisotropic compression is relatively intensive (primarily memory bandwidth and to some degree computationally, though the standard space-time tradeoff rules apply) and only became a standard feature of consumer-level graphics cards in the late 1990s. Anisotropic filtering is now common in modern graphics hardware (and video driver software) and is enabled either by users through driver settings or by graphics applications and video games through programming interfaces.

…was curious to try it on my machine, maximum X16 today.
And what a surprise, no one FPS lost, even in career with many planes involved :o
That's an other computer mystery…still smooth as before.
Anyway of course i keep it, because some plane textures look nicer, image is awesome neat, and ground appreciation for landing is way improved!

Here are my new settings for my 580 GPU (it may work as nice for 400 series):
Attached File  ROF launcher.jpg   121.85KB   591 downloads
…and here the inspector with the 9 settings i made:
Attached File  ROF inspector.jpg   167.21KB   591 downloads
I didn't put the texture filtering quality on high quality, but on performance.
That's maybe why i keep a nice FPS…

#69 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:25

Lets hope 77 will introduce a better SS and triple buffering inside the game. Seems nVidia does have advantage on that.
For AMD we are hooked on 3th software.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#70 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:33

Coming out of retirement for a moment here to tell you that you need to turn Reflections off in combination with Sparse Grid Supersampling. This will greatly help your framerate when flying close to the ground. Chances are your framerate will be the same as if you didn't have SGSSAA on at all.

You'll also get the best visual results overall if you match the supersampling to the multisampling rate. 4x SGSSAA (set in Inspector) with 4x MSAA (set in RoF launcher) gives the best results in terms of quality and performance. Last but not least, with 4x SGSSAA, you need to set your LOD bias to -1, once more to combat the blurring.

Source: http://www.overclock...d-supersampling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.overclock.../t/1250100/nvid … ersampling

Important things to note

At this point you are pretty much set up for amazing IQ but we're not done yet. You must set the Sparse Grid Sample number to the exact same amount of multi-samples. In other words if you are using 4XSparse Gride you also MUST use 4xMSAA in the profile. Otherwise you will end up with a blurry mess.

You also are going to have to set the LOD bias so there is no blurring. You must change the LOD bias setting from clamp to allow. This is a general guideline on LOD bias settings.

2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA: -0.500
4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA: -1.000
8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA: -1.500

J5_Hellbender

#71 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:24

You'll also get the best visual results overall if you match the supersampling to the multisampling rate. 4x SGSSAA (set in Inspector) with 4x MSAA (set in RoF launcher) gives the best results in terms of quality and performance. Last but not least, with 4x SGSSAA, you need to set your LOD bias to -1, once more to combat the blurring.

Hmm…4X SGSSAA is a bit too much for my FPS anyway, but 2X SGSSAA works a charm with ROF AAX8, and i don't get any blurry mess. Picture is clear neat without shimmering.
I've already tried 4X SGSSAA with ROF AAX8, and it is true it's more blurry.

#72 Dardrago1

Dardrago1

Posted 25 October 2012 - 23:55

This program can help improve computer performance (I use it): Game Booster 3

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

#73 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:12

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

I've used that off and on - it seems like a good idea but although it says it's improving things by something like 40% I'm not sure I've actually seen any noticeable difference. But it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt anything so it might be worth a try if you're having issues.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#74 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:48

Just bought a new 660ti video card. It's amazing what an improvement you can get with the trees when using super sampling and dither combined. All we need us some bump mapping on the ground textures and it'd be perfect.

#75 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:50

Just bought a new 660ti video card. It's amazing what an improvement you can get with the trees when using super sampling and dither combined. All we need us some bump mapping on the ground textures and it'd be perfect.

If you can handle it, try AFX16 in inspector!

#76 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 October 2012 - 13:29

There is also a new Iobit version from Razor http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster Do not know what the difference is, but maybe it will bring some simpler way to adjust.

another great tool is the AMD alternative at: http://sites.amd.com...s/overview.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sites.amd.com...game/downloads/ … rview.aspx

And in my RB3d times I always use a simple freeware tool Enditall, do not know if this still actual for RoF.

But still I think the best way is to make a RoFboot with only the for RoF needed services and processes.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#77 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 October 2012 - 23:13

After some flights with AF X16, i turned back to ROF AF X8, because it makes the ground so clear neat, ground tiles lines are visible mainly on no man's land :(

Attached File  2012_10_28__22_32_54.jpg   700.3KB   460 downloads

When you are in diagonally sight, it's ok. But perpendicular like picture above, it's aweful…
A shame, cause for landings, AFX16 makes the ground less blurry for better height appreciation.
I have even tried AFX12, it's same problem.
Only with ROF AFX8, we don't see such lines…maybe that's why they didn't give us more than X8!

#78 alain147

alain147

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:19

Hi all
Salut FiFi
Tu devrais dire aussie,que j'ai aider,en envoyant mon
ancienne confique!
Et apparament çà aide!
PS:a-tu reçue mon message pour la carte graphique?

Alain147

#79 =CAM=Voss

=CAM=Voss

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:00

Hello Fifi,
could you tell me in your opinion what is the best setting and what driver to use, on a POINT OF VIEW GTX680 ECSO?

Best Regards!!

Voss

#80 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:20

Hi Voss,

I'm only using a Zotac 580 slightly overclocked, so your 680 could run my settings above without problem i guess, and probably with more FPS :)
Most of all if you run 1920X1080, cause i run it 2560X1440…

If needed, and if you like it, you could even add some HDR also. But as a matter of taste, i prefer without, and it save me some perf (HDR is a big hit).

I deliberatly run shadows special medium, because i don't see any difference with high, and memory usage drop lower too.
Reflexions are not on max, because i don't like it either (green grass reflecting on my wings isn't natural to me).

About drivers i'm still using recomanded 266.58, but your 680 might need later ones.
It seems some ROF users don't have any problems with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users