Photo
- - - - -

SPAD 7 Pre-Order Now Available!

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#81 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:29

Looks like the British planes are outnumbering the German planes. Any more planes for Germany planned?

Well they should.

http://www.theaerodr.../statistics.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr.../statistics.php

I think he meant types, not raw numbers produced. Among the big three, the country that is least represented in RoF is France.

With the addition of the Spad 7, I count:

10 German
8 British
6 French

#82 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:52

Wow, 8.99 in pre order. it´s getting expensiv.

#83 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:52

Looks like the British planes are outnumbering the German planes. Any more planes for Germany planned?

Well they should.

http://www.theaerodr.../statistics.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr.../statistics.php

I think he meant types, not raw numbers produced. Among the big three, the country that is least represented in RoF is France.

With the addition of the Spad 7, I count:

10 German
8 British
6 French

I agree with Gav. France is the least represented of the big three. Hey, it is hard for me to feel sorry for Central when I have been waiting, since 2006, for a SPAD 7; dating back to D-Strict days. The ROF team just fulfilled the greatest of my WW 1 flight sim dreams. =) The SPAD 7 is the plane that brought me into WW 1 flight simulation. If the ROF team wants to built fifty Central Powers two- seaters and what not, I will support ROF efforts, as I have always done so in the past; just please fit in two versions of the 1918 SPAD 13, somewhere along the line. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#84 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 August 2011 - 18:20

Wow, 8.99 in pre order. it´s getting expensiv.

I still prefer the buy what you want or play for free if you choose approach, set by Jason Williams. I have been involved with ROF since ROF was released in the USA and I have saved considerable money, over the period of time; by focusing on ROF, almost exclusively and not getting caught up in the next big FPS/RPG craze and what not.

FPS games can cost over sixty dollars a piece and mainstream PC game prices are cost prohibitive for me right now, yet ROF costs me about $12 to $15 dollars every month or every two months and this is a reasonable amount of money, for me, considering the disproportionate fun I have, playing ROF, making my silly ROF film shorts and what not. :S!: MJ

p.s. Many of the $60 pc games have about 30 to 100 hours of actual gameplay in them, while ROF gameplay hours, depending on your imagination and dedication, is only limited by your free time; not bad, especially for a free to play game that includes a low compression 220 hp SPAD 13, with no strings attached.

#85 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 23 August 2011 - 18:35

$8.99 pre-order because you're buying two aircraft.

#86 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 23 August 2011 - 18:40

Looking good. BTW, any info on fuel capacity?

#87 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 August 2011 - 19:00

Looking good. BTW, any info on fuel capacity?

Well, fuel capacity isn't specifically mentioned in the SPAD 7 #8 Windsock and I can't recall if I saw it elsewhere. The endurance figures are stated in the store and so are the loaded and unloaded weights, so you have a starting point. What goes into the loaded weight,that is not included in the unloaded weight? :? Just subtract the stuff that is not fuel. :lol:

It won't really matter anyway. I use between 75% and 100% fuel in the SPAD 13 and I imagine I will get away with the same in the SPAD 7. Why maintain competitive dueling dogfight weights, when you can surprise ambush, slash, dash and watch 'em crash, while maintaining enough fuel to get back to your side of the line? Everything else is gunnery, unfortunately I don't know jack s%#@ about gunnery! :lol: ;) :S!: MJ

#88 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 23 August 2011 - 19:08

Pre-ordered, looks interesting.

Just been looking at the speed and rate of climb characteristics… are those figures correct? especially for the 180hp version. Its incredibly fast, especially in comparision to the german aircraft that might face either version.

I would presume the 150hp would face Alb DIII/Pfalz DIII, whilst the 180hp version appears to have been introduced at the sme time as the Alb DVa (though of course earlier 150 hps would still be in use0 in spring 1917.

Judging by the figures given on the sales pages this will be the fastest plane around on whatever missions its flown. I notice the SPAD XIII figures are missing, however I made a chart (for myself) and see that the VII 180hp version is much faster up high. In fact, above 1000 m this is pretty much the fastest aircraft there is, especially above 2000m.

Of course speed isnt everything, I imagine it will handle in a similar way to the XIII and have a similar poor forward view from the cockpit. Also it only has one gun making the typical SPAD diving attack harder.

Its gonna be interesting….

#89 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 August 2011 - 19:41

Just been looking at the speed and rate of climb characteristics… are those figures correct? especially for the 180hp version. Its incredibly fast, especially in comparision to the german aircraft that might face either version.

I would presume the 150hp would face Alb DIII/Pfalz DIII, whilst the 180hp version appears to have been introduced at the sme time as the Alb DVa (though of course earlier 150 hps would still be in use0 in spring 1917.

Judging by the figures given on the sales pages this will be the fastest plane around on whatever missions its flown. I notice the SPAD XIII figures are missing, however I made a chart (for myself) and see that the VII 180hp version is much faster up high. In fact, above 1000 m this is pretty much the fastest aircraft there is, especially above 2000m.

Of course speed isnt everything, I imagine it will handle in a similar way to the XIII and have a similar poor forward view from the cockpit. Also it only has one gun making the typical SPAD diving attack harder.

Using the right tactics, the SPAD 7 sisters will be a highly competitve machines. Every machine has strengths and weaknesses. The SPAD 7 will be no different. I don't know what the FM of the ROF Spad 7 will be, but we have been assured that it is as accurate as possible, to the real deal and given what I have read about the SPAD 7, I would imagine that there will be noticable differences between the SPAD 7 and the SPAD 13; with regard to some forms of maneuverability.

p.s. I will predict that the ROF SPAD 7 will be viewed by some ROF SPAD drivers, as an over all better plane, when compared to the SPAD 13, but others will disagree. This was the case in the real war, after all, no? :lol: :S!: MJ

#90 4S_Nero

4S_Nero

Posted 23 August 2011 - 19:43

Got it! :)

#91 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 August 2011 - 20:19

Yeah, Spad VII when it was firstly released outspeed and outclimb all known ennemy planes, and for a very long time…it was a real beast at this time. Spad = Speed :)
We are saying the SE was an ace maker, but we could say the same about the VII, from 1916!!
Main Guynemer and Fonck victories were winned with the VII. Not to say about many other pilots.
It was called "the flying machine gun"…
VII was faster than any german D model…as his big brother XIII. Only Fok DVII and Pfalz DXII could compete, but no faster.
Even with the VII tests prototype, they reached incredible speeds for that time.
Some french pilots reached 400 km/h (!) in very good controled dives, without noticing problems.

I know some MP players are worrying about planeset balance, and might be afraid to find a kind of "little XIII" from the early war mission, and afraid to never beeing able to catch/reach the VII… But it was like that in RL!
Only one machine gun, that's gonna be the challenge. Pilots, to your aiming practice! :D

#92 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 23 August 2011 - 20:25

I love the way people are getting the jitters ref planeset balance online.. lol!
Tough love is the way forward. As stated, in real life the scales were always tipping one way, and then the other. It's the way it was :)

#93 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 23 August 2011 - 20:26

Sure fifi, but the Albatrosses are already 10% slower than they should be. If it weren't for that no one would be worrying.

#94 Dunringill

Dunringill

Posted 23 August 2011 - 20:30

Looking forward to the new SPAD! Was fascinated by this plane as a kid, building plastic models (and then blowing them up with fire crackers… :-))

#95 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 August 2011 - 20:32

Sure fifi, but the Albatrosses are already 10% slower than they should be. If it weren't for that no one would be worrying.

Yes you're right…as for other little "fix" they have to make.
I even would love to have to buy again a new N17 for example!! lol
(no, no, i didn't say it! :lol: )

#96 rlk281

rlk281

Posted 23 August 2011 - 20:32

Pretty darn new to ROF, but it's involving me in a similar love affair that IL-2 did way, way back, in what, 2002, when a workmate clued me in to its existence.

Oh, and to stay on-topic…I, too, gladly pre-ordered this little sweetie!

#97 GandalfTheGrey

GandalfTheGrey

Posted 23 August 2011 - 22:42

Well they should.

Cool, but this looks like total numbers on the face of it. What about types?

#98 GandalfTheGrey

GandalfTheGrey

Posted 23 August 2011 - 22:53

After further research I see that it does include type as well.

#99 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 23 August 2011 - 23:34

Guys what about this mod as official release, if Johannisthal is not planned in the next aircraft addons?

Albatros D.III, (Johannisthal)

The Johannisthal Mod. Released!

!

This is a pretty cool idea - add a new slot, tweak the settings a tiny bit etc.

One could even added it as a free upgrade to owners of the existing D.III… (I hesitated a long time before buying the D.III, because I already had the D.Va and the D.II - I actually don't notice much of a difference between the Va and the III…)

#100 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 23 August 2011 - 23:44

I just can't buy into these two planes without a video…. just can't do it.

#101 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 23 August 2011 - 23:46

Yeah we need a video Jason!! Doesn't need to be fancy, just a minute long track! :D

#102 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 August 2011 - 00:18

Just to hear the engine sound…!! :)

#103 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 24 August 2011 - 00:30

Just to hear the engine sound…!! :)

Yes, I'd like to see if any new sampling techniques have yielded a more manly sound than the Spad 13!

#104 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 24 August 2011 - 00:45

Yeah we need a video Jason!! Doesn't need to be fancy, just a minute long track! :D

A video would be sweet! I would make a video, if the team would release my pre-order early! ;) :lol: :S!: MJ

#105 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:42

Guys what about this mod as official release, if Johannisthal is not planned in the next aircraft addons?

One could even added it as a free upgrade to owners of the existing D.III… (I hesitated a long time before buying the D.III, because I already had the D.Va and the D.II - I actually don't notice much of a difference between the Va and the III…)

We cannot afford to make free planes period. Sorry guys.

Jason

#106 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:48

I'd pay for an early DIII, not to mention an RFC overhead Lewis mounted N17 and a nightfighting Camel :)

#107 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:04

Jason

So, you and the ROF team are turning down a plane making internship/ volunteer opportunity? :lol: I will be a happy man when the World stops providing or seeking services for free, when there are no internships and no volunteerism. You can't grow a middle class, a career or a business giving everything you have to contribute away for free. :S!: MJ

#108 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:24

Jason

I sympathise (more than you would guess) - however, this is one plane you wouldn't have had to make :lol:

I'm sure some people would be willing to pay for it.

#109 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:27

I just can't buy into these two planes without a video…. just can't do it.

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … re=related

Problem solved…

#110 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:50

Yeah, Spad VII when it was firstly released outspeed and outclimb all known ennemy planes, and for a very long time…it was a real beast at this time. Spad = Speed :)
We are saying the SE was an ace maker, but we could say the same about the VII, from 1916!!
Main Guynemer and Fonck victories were winned with the VII. Not to say about many other pilots.
It was called "the flying machine gun"…
VII was faster than any german D model…as his big brother XIII. Only Fok DVII and Pfalz DXII could compete, but no faster.
Even with the VII tests prototype, they reached incredible speeds for that time.
Some french pilots reached 400 km/h (!) in very good controled dives, without noticing problems.

I know some MP players are worrying about planeset balance, and might be afraid to find a kind of "little XIII" from the early war mission, and afraid to never beeing able to catch/reach the VII… But it was like that in RL!
Only one machine gun, that's gonna be the challenge. Pilots, to your aiming practice! :D

+1

It looks like i'm a SPAD addict to. ;)

#111 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:21

Jason, if we could have the D.III we are talking about, we would be really happy to pay, be sure.

#112 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:34

Count me in!

#113 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:58

Me too.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#114 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:29

new skins and normal mapping doesn'T make it a new plane though.

#115 elephant

elephant

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:31

Jason, if we could have the D.III we are talking about, we would be really happy to pay, be sure.

Central and offset radiator pack for 8.99$ (preorder).
Count me in + offering the research work already made, for the Johannisthal mod… :S!:

PS: I don't think that 777 Studios would accept a hybridic solution as the Johannisthal mod.
But they have all the elements already there to create their official version, rather easily, IMHO…

#116 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:33

If I get an early D.III, I want an early D.III. Not a late D.III with a disguise. No matter how well made and well intended it is.

#117 elephant

elephant

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:37

I agree with Jorri…

#118 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:45

I think we all would want that.

#119 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:55

Me too ;)

#120 J30-Maddog

J30-Maddog

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:07

Ok I see once again the allies will get another great plane, that all the servers will more than likely use, along with the camel and the se5 the breguet14 or the bristol2B, which goes up against the normal dr1, pfalz12 Alb3, ALB DII, or the dva or the and very, very, ever seldom with the plain jane D7. When will the germans get a plane that is earlier enough to have to be placed into the game, The servers out thier will NOT place the only single german combat aircraft able to compete againt the allied planes, thats is the D7F. or for god sake tweak several of the german planes, as to be a match out thier against the camel and the se5 the breguet14 or the bristol2B. Its so darn frustrating to never be able to catch up in speed to any of these allied planes for combat, or hear the allies scream that they were wrongly attacked by 2 or 3 german planes. u need a dr1 for the turns a another for somewhat rapid climb and one to try and chase an allied down. How about a Zepplin? With 6 or 8 engins with many gun points and with an airspeeed equal to a spad7. The trick now being used on the many servers is to dumb down the DFW CW AI gunner so he cant hit nothing or to late to try and shoot back. As I have read the Best thing about the DR1 was its fantastick climb rate, not here, the allied planes used out climb, fly faster, not to mention the twin guns on all the 2 seaters and hadley page, which one dose not have to worry about its seldom used on the open servers. have your guys fly on the open servers and see the light.i would like to see how they react to being forced to fly an inferior german plane against the best allied planes that are offered, After all is said and done its a game, and if the open servers are going to always keep it lopsided towords the allied side, the fun goes away. I understand that some planes were slightly better than others, but it sucks when the open servers have the best unlimited allied planes available to fly. I have bought every plane you have to offer with all the field mods to go with them, I cant set up my own server, or I would. But then no one would fly it if the planes were eveny matched. I would love to see a gotha with twin mounts front and rear, or the dfw cw. but then i guess they would also be banned from the open servers. airfields always suck for german bomber pilots, if you manage to take off you crash on landing because of the always bumpy short short fields, and trying to land the gotha any where but and airfield will result in a crash. when will you guys fix this set up for tournament games? RB3D was fantastic for tournament games. the scoring was perfect set up, what you have is just the bare bones of scoring, to tounaments cant be done as it is, capture the Flag is for 8 year olds. I will pay for a zepplin with 6 or more engines, fast as a spad 7 with 8 twin gun mounts and a large bomb load, though with hydrogin filled, that does not so easily explode with one bullet either.and you wounder why people try ROF and then give up on it. as the few of us keep hoping and talking about game tounaments, squad based planes vs other squad base planes. going through the whole area of WW1 and then start up a new war weeks after 1 is finished., you start up torunament game play and they will come and flock by the thousands to ROF. Wings of valor tried to replace RB3D and failed because the planes were so sensative you couldnt fly anything. here you have to put you plane on A uto pilot for air speed because just to try and catch up to a speeeding allied plane, to just watch it go away every single time. get with all the flight leaders out thier that flew RB3D, we had 14 guys on our squad that lived in germany, that flew with us 20 guys from the states In tounament games on RB3D a game that just went away recently when the server was taken away agame developed in 1998 for OS 98. well I dought much will come of this, or i will be told how its out of your control or such, but I have hope that this will not be the case. tweak the german planes, build a zepplin, build a new plane the german side can use, add twinn guns to the german bombers, allow german planes to carry bombs like all the allied planes can besides the allied bombers, make tounament matched period games, with better scoring and better mini maps, i hate seeing 1 or 2 roads when I look down and see hundreds of roads, to help with navigation and know where you are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users