Photo
- - - - -

SE5a FM - review & fixes!

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#321 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 January 2014 - 19:39

Why is the Albatross DII and DIII and DVa so much better than the SE5a in Rof? I cannot win whatever tactic I adopt.

"If I'm killed I shall be in good company. You watch yourself. Don't go following any Huns too low or you'll join the sizzle brigade with me". (Mick Mannock to Lt. Ira Jones).

Mannock was killed the next day after following a burning 2-seater down to 200ft; witnessed by Lt. Donald Inglis.

Stay high and stay out of a turnfight.

#322 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 January 2014 - 13:58

I turn with Albatrosses in the SE5a, even against human opponents. Yes, stay above, but the trick is to use the SE5a's good instantaneous turn to deliver the coup de grace. If you don't do that then you are giving up a lot of victory opportunities.

In summary, our SE5a craps all over the Albatrosses. Keep practicing.

#323 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 25 January 2014 - 16:36

wow you guys are real good!….bet you know which dope gave the least drag as well lol…..if it was anything like ww2 they flew with all sorts of stuff like cowlings missing ,panels etc so optimum climb and speed performances were never really made.i quote from a stirling pilot i knew well.as well as you may have had one which was using a dud engine …perhaps thats the one we have in the game?…..
ww1 books are quoted i read a lot when i was a teenager now forgotten the titles a list in a new theme might be a nice idea so we all can look to obtain a copy.
flapping brown

#324 Kefuddle

Kefuddle

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:52

if it was anything like ww2 they flew with all sorts of stuff like cowlings missing ,panels etc so optimum climb and speed performances were never really made.i quote from a stirling pilot i knew well.
And most probably the same for any and every fleet of aircraft that have every been operated ever. Even with all the panels attached, no two aircraft are alike, a fleet of modern new airliners, drag and fuel burn will vary between aircraft enough to make a difference.

Even with two theoretically different aircraft, flow by two pilots of equal skill and technique, on different days one could fly much better than the other taking into account air pressure, humidity and temperature!

#325 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:22

if it was anything like ww2 they flew with all sorts of stuff like cowlings missing ,panels etc so optimum climb and speed performances were never really made.

What in the world are you going on about?

#326 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:47

….bet you know which dope gave the least drag as well lol…..

:lol:

Good example!
Even the quality of dope or the filing down of rivets do not allow you to escape from Newton's laws and aerodynamics. While the force of drag remains below the force of thrust you are accelerating. The same effect is produced by increasing thrust relative to drag but these do not alter the limiting forces of lift and weight (gravity). Acceleration would increase but the effect of speed on the other restricting forces would remain the same. To get out of this trap would require an airframe re-design.

:S!:

#327 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 13 June 2014 - 23:12

i guess it was your luck if you were to fly a se5a which was a gti or a dog [friday late shift one]….slight prop differences in production probably made some noticeable performance difference…as well as a good engine or one that ran but tolerances were poor…..bit like cars in the 50s you got a good one or a slow one….even a heavy coat of dope or excessive camo may have had an effect?
but anyone who has flown homebuilt light aircraft will know the difference a prop can make….in the haste to supply more planes to keep up with losses at the front i bet acceptance flights were ah it gets off the ground not how long it takes to get to altitude?
flapping brown

#328 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 14 June 2014 - 14:53

I turn with Albatrosses in the SE5a, even against human opponents. Yes, stay above, but the trick is to use the SE5a's good instantaneous turn to deliver the coup de grace. If you don't do that then you are giving up a lot of victory opportunities.

In summary, our SE5a craps all over the Albatrosses. Keep practicing.

That is new to me ! Hold on, you mean in an equal 1v1 situation ? Current SE5a is all about the Albatrosses ? You must be kidding, lol. Maybe it will overclimb the D.II on the first turn but for all the rest I bet against. I would be glad if you could show me your magic-SE5a-instantaneous-turn on the duell server ? I will be ON on Sunday waiting for you.

S!

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#329 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2014 - 14:59

I am way out of practice with the SE5a Sahaj. I wouldn't give you a good fight. However, I would be very surprised if you couldn't win 1vs1 with the SE5a against the Albatros D.III or D.Va. Maybe fly the Camel less in order to encourage having to think during an engagement? ;)

#330 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 June 2014 - 15:47

Maybe fly the Camel less in order to encourage having to think during an engagement? ;)

For the original (2014) commenter, you should look up some tactics on how to Boom n' Zoom, it would help you a lot in the Se5a and numerous other planes. Learn to gain an energy advantage and you can usually win if you can keep it (unless you're fighting pfalzacopters).

Side note, I'm not much of an Se5a pilot but I thought they could out turn a D5a.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#331 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 14 June 2014 - 15:54

Maybe fly the Camel less in order to encourage having to think during an engagement? ;)

For the original (2014) commenter, you should look up some tactics on how to Boom n' Zoom, it would help you a lot in the Se5a and numerous other planes. Learn to gain an energy advantage and you can usually win if you can keep it (unless you're fighting pfalzacopters).

Side note, I'm not much of an Se5a pilot but I thought they could out turn a D5a.

Sounds like good advice, Lib. When I go back tot eh SE5a, I will keep your advice in mind.

:S!: MJ

P.S. Dang that ruddy pfalzacopter!!! I literally rage quit over that plane, sometimes. :lol:

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#332 ciki

ciki

Posted 14 June 2014 - 16:26

I don't know if this article has been posted before… I think it's a good read. The landing part is very much like the RoF FM. So FM seems to be quite good.

www.haa-uk.aero/pilots-notes-detail.php?pn-id=13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users