Photo
- - - - -

Josh Echo's personal Sopwith Camel, Never Malice

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 00:31

J9_Austin has painted my Sopwith Camel for me. Thank you, Austin.

As he and I went over the process in real-time on voice, I not only gained a better understanding of what skinning involves, but also got to see that he spent quite a few hours on it. He was patient with my waffling and such.

My ship is called Never Malice. It is similar to one of the historical paint schemes, but mine was not actually inspired by it. I designed Never Malice before I first saw that historical one, so the similarity is coincidental.

The typeface/font used for the text on the aircraft is called "Caslon #540 Roman SC."

Here is a ZIP file containing the requisite files: [link]

Update: a few slight changes have been made; the wheel covers and vertical stabilizer have been adjusted to make their color more similar to that of the cowling, and the vertical stabilizer has been given a canvas texture. The files and screenshot have been replaced with those of the new version.

(The screenshot of the first version posted can still be seen here: http://img854.images...evermalice1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://img854.images....us/img854/5292 … alice1.jpg)

#2 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 10 August 2011 - 00:36

Yeah, Sure! Looks nice!

#3 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:24

Sweet ride Josh and big yes! :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#4 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:34

Beautiful.

#5 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:35

Josh Now How do u suppose i could get a custom dr1, got it all mapped out.

=IRFC=

#6 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:55

Very nice one!

#7 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:06

Josh Now How do u suppose i could get a custom dr1, got it all mapped out.

Well, first you find someone who can skin … then you beg. : )

At least, that's how I do it.

#8 J9_Austin

J9_Austin

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:09

I don't know Josh, that cowling is way too shiny :P

S!~
AP :mrgreen:

sig_zpsmzog27aq.jpg

#9 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:11

Appreciate you donating the skin to the community! :x

Voted yes. Nice skin! :S!:

#10 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:24

Nice and simple. Yes - and this makes you a camel fag by the way Josh.

#11 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:27

Josh, would a personal skin conflict with my growling ogres skin?

=IRFC=

#12 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:54

Yes it should be placed in the "personal" skins protected mode ;)

#13 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:55

Josh, would a personal skin conflict with my growling ogres skin?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I don't think so.

#14 DennydD

DennydD

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:56

Yes. Josh is riding a camel. :S!:

DennydD out.

PS: Josh you old forum lurker….

#15 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:15

Nice and decent, that's how I prefer it. Yes, Josh!

#16 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:44

yes, nice work.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#17 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:09

J9 Austin, so so you mind making me a skin?, ill send u a PM if u accept.

=IRFC=

#18 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:03

I must say I'm rather curious; are any of the rather large proportion of negative votes due to the skin itself, or they all due to personal resentment towards the skin's creator and/or wearer? If the former, then what aspects of the skin are considered lacking by the down-voters?

#19 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:16

Don't sweat the small stuff. With a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of your new skin, I'm sure it'll be in the next skin pack. Most people don't say "why" they vote no, and it isn't worth wasting time to figure out.

#20 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:19

Any pettiness here is as water on a duck, but if anyone has any legitimate issues to point out concerning the skin itself, I'm sure that both Austin and myself would want to hear them.

#21 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:24

Since no one has chimed in with issues on the skin itself, I would assume the no votes are based on either dislike for you, Austin and/or the whole personal skin mechanism in RoF. Since the poll is anonymous, it is easy to vent such grievances w/o having to state reasons. I wouldn't sweat it as any sincere problem with the skin would be stated.

#22 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:28

Good point. Thanks; wilco.

#23 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:47

Since no one has chimed in with issues on the skin itself, I would assume the no votes are based on either dislike for you, Austin and/or the whole personal skin mechanism in RoF. Since the poll is anonymous, it is easy to vent such grievances w/o having to state reasons. I wouldn't sweat it as any sincere problem with the skin would be stated.

Maybe it's nothing person, but after the last forum post about using others skins. There all voting agaisnt personal skins.

#24 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:50

I wouldn't call that "nothing personal." [smile] But, no matter …

#25 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:51

Maybe it's nothing person, but after the last forum post about using others skins. There all voting agaisnt personal skins.
Yep, that was the third possibility I cited. :)

#26 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:57

Josh - You created it - You should have exclusive access. Good Luck - Phil

#27 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:58

"Will you agree to add this paint scheme in protected mode?"

After looking at the poll question - I may have a better understanding of the many negative votes. What is implied by "Protected Mode" Josh? Protected from what? Perhaps people think that this will prevent the community at large from using the skin, and basically many think screw you.

Not having noticed this phrasing initially, which was my fault, I am curious. Could you explain your choice of words and define your intent? Would appreciate a little insight regarding this. As far as I can remember, no other Poll had 'Protected Mode" as part of the question - only "for inclusion with next skin pack", etc.

#28 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:17

Josh - You created it - You should have exclusive access. Good Luck - Phil

Thank you for the kind words, Phil, and thanks to everyone who has voted for my paint scheme.

What is implied by "Protected Mode" Josh? Protected from what?

Not having noticed this phrasing initially, which was my fault, I am curious. Could you explain your choice of words and define your intent?

I used the exact words that were specified in the official requirements. They're 777 Studios' words, not mine. Terms and Conditions for Skins creation and placement

#29 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:30

Nice looking skin, I would only have 1 suggestion though which is something I tend to notice on the Camel.
If you look at the area just forward of the rudder you will see how much darker it is. This is an issue on one of the layers and it takes a little fiddling to get rid of. It's up to you of course, but for some reason this area never matches up colour wise with the rest of the aircraft unless you fix the offending layer.

#30 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:38

Thanks for the advice, Requiem. Yes, I'd noticed that. I'll bring it up again to Austin and see if he feels like some more waffling. : )

#31 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:46

Appreciate the response Josh. "Mods-Off" is actually the "protected mode". I better understand and realize that many people are actually phrasing their skin Polls improperly. The unfortunate effect is the knee jerk reaction from people who are still miffed over the recent thread agonizing over use of skins.

#32 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 18 August 2011 - 22:09

Nice looking skin, I would only have 1 suggestion though which is something I tend to notice on the Camel.
If you look at the area just forward of the rudder you will see how much darker it is. This is an issue on one of the layers and it takes a little fiddling to get rid of. It's up to you of course, but for some reason this area never matches up colour wise with the rest of the aircraft unless you fix the offending layer.

Austin has examined this issue and made a few alterations. The O.P. has been updated accordingly.

#33 LW_Jupes

LW_Jupes

Posted 19 August 2011 - 15:25

Skin looks great at this point. Unless there are glaring mistakes, it is my understanding that these skins (personal) should be voted in. It is not up to the viewer to vote on whether he or she "likes" the skin or not as it is "personal" (hence the definition).

Historical is another matter.

#34 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:23

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users