Photo
- - - - -

Tactics & Teamwork dedi server

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#121 Buzpilot

Buzpilot

Posted 30 October 2009 - 23:50

I got lots of #10019 tonight ,and when spectating after i was shot down ,i got this one;

Out of buffer memory g_atBoneStates.alloc();

#122 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 31 October 2009 - 00:15

I'd like to think we are at the point in RoF where we can start making missions with only 25% boxed planes, and the other 75% is paid for planes.

Alternate the AlbD5 and Fokker D7 on each mission and the rest can be paid for planes…

Then alternate the Pfalz D3, D12, and Alb D3…

and always include triplane (at least a couple of them) :)

#123 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 31 October 2009 - 00:52

Some more mission feedback.
I'd love it if you'd add way points and more marks on the map, like named airfields, towns etc.

#124 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:39

Chill31, I have some more new (revised) missions that should be up on the server fairly soon (as soon as Masaq sees that I have posted them). There are several with the newest planes in the line up and I have begun opting for only 2 stock planes (1 per side) in an effort to get a good bit of time in each of the available planes. You can read more about it here:

http://www.tacteam.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2676

Seiseki, I try to make my missions with an icon in the area the players are to fly to. As far as placing way points and such along the way, none of these missions (mine or otherwise) really have durations/destinations long enough to warrant flight paths with way points. In most cases it is left up to the player to find the most expedient flight path from take off to objective and home again.

As far as labeling towns, cities, and aerodromes; there isn't anything in the mission editor to allow for labeling of these items. Well, not totally true, there is a means of labeling aerodromes but that creates an icon for an aerodrome which will appear on the icon already in place on the map, making the map a mess to read.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but these things you requested are not really practical or possible.

#125 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:44

Hm strange, because I saw this on a mission while playing on another server.
And then I thought it looked really cool so I rushed here to request it :lol:

It's a minor thing, but it gives the missions more feeling with historical references to aerodromes, cities and towns.

#126 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:20

Chill31, I have some more new (revised) missions that should be up on the server fairly soon (as soon as Masaq sees that I have posted them). There are several with the newest planes in the line up and I have begun opting for only 2 stock planes (1 per side) in an effort to get a good bit of time in each of the available planes. You can read more about it here:

http://www.tacteam.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2676

Senseman, the missions you made have too many aircraft per side (unless something has changed). here is what LEFTY posted in this thread http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3871

For DServer hosters:
1. In a mission there should be not more than 3 different aircraft types for one coalition, i.e. the maximum number of different aircraft types for both sides - 6.

2. All aircrafts’ skins should be default ones. In this case, application will be using the smallest possible amount of hoster’s computer virtual memory. As an example, every real default skin "eats" about 5Mb of memory, i.e. if a mission has 4 SPADs, each with default skin, it will be equal only to 5Mb of memory, because skins are the same and they are loaded once (in the beginning) and are assigned to all 4 SPADs. Conversely, if these 4 SPADs are Иdressed’ in different skins, we will need to have more than 20Mb of hoster’s memory to display these four different skins, and the same amount of client’s (player) memory.

3. The maximum total number of aircrafts in a mission at any moment of time shall not exceed 30. This number includes both planes controlled by humans and planes controlled by AI.

4. In addition to aircrafts, there should be not more than 4 different types of ground objects per coalition (cars, trains, antiaircraft guns, cannons, balloons, etc.), i.e. maximum number of different types of ground objects for both sides – 8.

5. The maximum total number of ground objects shall not exceed 40 pieces.

6. At least once a day it is necessary to reboot a host computer.

#127 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:51

Well that might go a long ways to explain the problems we have been having with the Wild Goose Chase mission.

The new ones have been reduced and while they may not be in accordance with these numbers, considering Wild Goose Chases overages and still managing to be runnable, I would like to see how the new missions run. If there is issues I can always reduce them further.

#128 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:14

I've seen 'em and they'll be on the maplist shortly. However, I won't be around this afternoon to remove them if there are any problems - so you'll have to try and grab either epoch or MadTommy over at the T&T website if the server starts having problems :)

Mas

#129 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:26

I'm getting a connection error each time a new mission loads which sends me back to the main menu, after that I can join the mission like usual, but as soon as the mission changes this happens again..

I've not experienced this on any other server either.. :/

#130 HotDog

HotDog

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:02

Agree with what has been said about having a limited number of non-bought planes. Also, there are fairly ridiculous numbers of N28's IMHO. That plane is rare at best, and the missions really should start reflecting the sort of match ups that occured during the period. Just way too many N28's. Less than 300 N28's saw service, that's even fewer than the DR.I.

Thanks for the new missions regardless, the variety is good.

#131 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:54

Agree with what has been said about having a limited number of non-bought planes. Also, there are fairly ridiculous numbers of N28's IMHO. That plane is rare at best, and the missions really should start reflecting the sort of match ups that occured during the period. Just way too many N28's. Less than 300 N28's saw service, that's even fewer than the DR.I.

Thanks for the new missions regardless, the variety is good.

This depends on how you look at it..

You can't really design a mission and include planes based on how many saw action in total..
Perhaps in a specific mission there was a whole squadron flying these planes and thus all planes would be NP28's, just as an example.
What would be realistic though is to limit the amount of these missions to better reflect the entire war.

#132 HotDog

HotDog

Posted 08 November 2009 - 15:36

Well, that's basically what I'm saying. Sure, a particular mission may specially include them. But at the moment, we really have planes from many periods all rolled into one, and the N28 features in just about every mission, including 2 missions I can think of where it is half or more of the allied force. That's what I mean about non- repesentative of the numbers.

#133 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 08 November 2009 - 16:34

should we ask ppl to choose a side with less players because we have a sit where we have 9 planes on one side and 3 on other side….this couldnt be fun for all..

btw for me, ROF runs smoothly in T&T server but when its crowded we have a slowdown above no mans land…not a big one and not always…

#134 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 08 November 2009 - 16:53

HotDog, currently every single one of my missions is created with a historically accurate plane set. I looked into the dates all the planes saw active service and created match ups that would have been possible according to specific time periods.

Unfortunately, I feel somewhat compelled to keep "stock" planes in certain numbers so that those who have not purchased the add on planes can still fly. It is a problem that sometime in the not too distant future should be resolved.

I have another post where I requested a new player spawn MCU where the player will choose from a list of planes in each slot, rather than having only the specific planes we have now. ViKS replied to that request with info stating that, with the up and coming dog fight mode, we will be getting exactly that. You can read the thread here:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=4248

So, for the time being, we will have these missions with an abundance of Spads, N28s, D7s and/or D5as due to trying to keep the masses playing, but in the hopefully not too distant future, we will see a lot more variety in what players bring to the match as we will have more choice.

My only fear is all rounds will be dominated by Camels and Dr.1s :roll:

#135 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 08 November 2009 - 17:36

Great news on the plane selection Sensenmann and great work with the missions!

I think you are right about the DR1's and Camels being the most commonly sought aircraft.

Its a tricky one, because if you limit the number, the people who connect the quickest will always get their choice of plane. That said I think their should be a limit.

I also think that missions should be historically correct regardless of plane selection.

Given the cost of the individual planes I cant see any reason why people should not buy a couple at least. If the missions are created that force players to pick historic contemporarys it will mean that all models get a fair showing and also will allow some intresting scenarios.

#136 mozza

mozza

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:38

The Best on-line experience so far !!

OK guys - I'm a newby to RoF (2 weeks) and on-line (<1 week) and learning the ropes (set up,config, flying etc etc). Yesterday had the best mission experience so far on T&T. (Nieuports v albs)

It started bad, v bad for me as I could only select the Nieuport N28 (which I don't like)- after a scary take off (just about last to clear the field) - I followed the gaggle towards the North, climbing hard.

Over the lines I was about 1-2 mile behind and saw someone get flammed in the distance - and then 3-4 dots headed towards me at higher altitude (and no friendlies on the map !) not good.
Out numbered 5 to 1 , so turned for my lines and stuffed the nose down as I remembered the N28 had a fair turn of speed (old 1.007 Russian Roulette AI tactic). Luckily I have Track IR 5 and could see one alb following me, just out of range and after about 1 minute he turned away. I immeadiately did a 180 and rapidly closed on the albs tail, gaining fast. As I was coming into range - I saw 3-4 more albs approaching , so decided to open fire (too) early and peppered the alb - who then appeared to spin down (a kill ?).

Time to bug out again - so nose down and back over my lines (had a screen lock up for 30 seconds, sound but no graphics) - but when PC recovered I was still flying and in the clear. Had a good look around - nothing - so climbed back up to the arena, gentle weaving to look for albatrosses - nothing , but a lovely view and sunset !! Suddenly tracer flashed past (holy crap !!), stuff the column into front corner with full rudder, recovered and dived back for entente lines flat out. Tracer everywhere - looked behind and THREE albs sitting on my tail. Great ambush guys , awesome , never saw you (even with trackir). But I see you now - and it doesn't look good !

The good old Newy 28 though had the speed and I slowly pulled away with only a few bullet strikes (it was literally raining tracer). By now getting back over my lines - but running out of altitude , nose up a bit - the albs gain !! Nose down and I pull away. Mission end warning in 1 minute !!! - Holy bovine - I am going to survive for once. City and Cathedral in sight , field just beyond - Looked behind and three albs still there spraying lead , but out of range.

Death or Glory ? what the eck !, screamed into a 180 turn and head on to an Alb - straffing and must have got some good hits ?, two more albs - reef another turn - but there's one on my tail. Running out of altitude and can't dive and run. 30 seconds to end mission warning, stuff the nose down and jink around the hills and trees - fast, very low and very scary. The Alb is still there !!! , I look forward, Sh***T a hill, I climb, the screen goes red , and I am a dead before I hit the ground (10 seconds to go). A great kill.

Mission Ends.

Absolutely awesome - and I didn't get that Alb kill !!!

Great server and mission the T&T team - love it. Apologies for once using a custom skin job (I didn't realise the problems these caused or would work,never again until neoqb get that sorted out in 1.009). (and is Wolf13 still on that amazing kill streak ? 52 when I left?)

Cheers

Mozza (AKA Focker/Alb fodder !)

#137 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:21

I noticed the server wasn't just locked up, but was unavailable for much of the weekend. Is this an attempt to limit bandwidth usage? or was there another issue.

I can honestly say, in the absence of the T&T server, the pickings got awfully thin after that. Gamearena in the land down under was our next best choice, but my latency to their server doesn't even register so if the weather is bad I doubt i could connect there. Homedrome (in Germany) runs o.k., but they have a single mission in perpetual cycle that tends to be dominated by the Camels (which outnumber the Dr1's btw).

Hopefully, there's not too big an issue on bandwidth, but if there is, I'd make an offer to help subsidize it in the event the datacenter keeps whining.

TB

#138 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 09 November 2009 - 13:45

I'm not aware of any persisting problems with the server, apart from a report from Squid yesterday morning. Clearly if the server dies in the middle of the night, there's not much we can do about it as we're all in bed. Together!

If you believe the server is dead, can I recommend your PM me (copy to Masaq also) on our website. That'll send me an email, and I can RDP onto the server from my iPhone (assuming I'm awake) and restart it.

#139 =IRFC=Sparrow

=IRFC=Sparrow

Posted 09 November 2009 - 13:51

Salute [T&T]epoch:

Just give us that phone number and we'll phone you if you are asleep. :lol:

#140 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 09 November 2009 - 15:17

Lol. I think not :D

Actually, what I plan to do is give 'trusted regulars' the ability to restart the server if it's stalled/crashed.

I can do that from a web control panel using PanelDaemon. However I can't implement that until Neoqb can provide a dserver.exe which will auto-load the config, thus enabling me to run as a system service using FireDaemon.

I've tried various 'workarounds' such as AutoIT, batch files, scripts etc, but nothing has worked correctly.

Hopefully Neoqb can provide such a small fix.

#141 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 09 November 2009 - 17:55

epoch"]Hopefully Neoqb can provide such a small fix.

Since you're running pretty much the most popular server online, I think it would be in their interest to listen to you.
Send them a mail :P

#142 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 11 November 2009 - 22:33

Am I the only one who thinks the NP28 (and Dolphin) vs Fokker DVII (and Pfalz DXII) Mission is a bit unfair?
One of the best fighters of the war vs one that the French pilots refused to fly..

Spad XIII vs Alb DVa would be a better match..
Or even NP28 vs Alb DVa..

#143 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 12 November 2009 - 15:57

In the mission you mention above (with the N28 and Dolphin), I'll sometimes sit that one out when flying Entente. The N28 isn't even close to an equal match to the DVII and the Dolphin is practically useless with the wing-shedding problem (accordingly, I refuse to fly it).

The only reasonable tactic in the N28 (IMO) is to keep high altitude, fly with a wingman, don't turn more than once with the enemy and run away as soon as you lose the advantage…if you can as the N28 doesn'r "run" like the SE5a and Spad. While that's somewhat historically accurate, it's no fun in the 15 minute window we currently fly under…especially if there are only 4 pilots to each side.

I'd vote for the Spad to replace half of the N28's and maybe a couple Camels to replace a couple dolphins. Or (possibly a more acceptable change) replace all but two of the dolphins with Spads and leave the N28's. This only leaves a few slots for purchased aircraft I know, but the dolphin? Personally, I'd like to see a couple Camels included in each map, especially ones that feature the British as it was more representative and common than the SE5a.

I want so badly for the Dolphin to be all it was in real life, but as it is, it's a (temporarily…until it loses them) winged coffin. The argument could be that the DXII for the Germans isn't much better, but in reality it's exponentially better than the Dolphin is under it's current damage model.

On the other side of the coin, possibly replace a couple of the DXII's with Dr1's. After all, fair's fair. ;)

#144 MiG-77

MiG-77

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:38

Now, to be fair currently Fokker D.VII is not best german scout. I would rank it only better to Albatros D.Va (maybe Pfalz D.XII). Albatros D.III and Pfalz D.IIIa are better as they have superior climb and turn about same. They are slower, but not enought to mean much against much faster allied planes (as your only change to keep with them is dive from above and as they climb better you have better change to get that height adventage).

#145 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:45

The mission in question was thrown together by Masaq in something like 5 minutes (his words) and was done so just to get the Dolphin and D.XII on the server as they were new. Personally I like the mission but maybe that is because I tend to fly either the Dolphin or the Pfalz.

The Dolphin, in my opinion, is the best plane in this mission's line up. That is, if you can keep her wings on. Just need to be gentle, know that all sudden changes in direction result in the new direction being a spiral to the ground (sans wings), and don't allow yourself to be shot at as that sort of thing will just frighten the wings off your plane. If you do keep your wings on long enough the Dolphin actually turns quite nicely and with a bit of skill, you can hold your own with the (currently underpowered) D.VIIs. (I finished one round with 3 D.VIIs going down by my hand! :shock: )

The Pfalz on the other hand is just a pig. I keep flying it in the hopes that I will find the secret to putting it to use but it seems that the secret is that it needs the more powerful BMW engine. It is supposed to be effective in a BnZ roll, but does not achieve the altitude advantage as we are given the lesser engine (again :roll: ), even though we are quoted the performance numbers of the more powerful engine. Even so, it still achieves the ceiling (bottom of the clouds) by the time I reach the front and then I am all but out classed by the N28s, and the proverbial fish-in-a-barrel when it comes to the Dolphins.

So, my take is, if Masaq were to heed the request to change this mission, he should change the D.VIIs for D.Vas. That will bring the N28 back into the match up, plus the D.Va has a wing shedding problem too, so it potentially balances out the Dolphin some what. And then I would increase the ceiling limit by either moving the clouds up or changing them to a broken style. That might allow the Pfalz some more room and the possibility of utilizing it in the BnZ roll it is intended for.

Of course, the ideal is to have NEOQB fix the Pfalz and Dolphin so they aren't so useless.

#146 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 13 November 2009 - 15:45

Ugh, the server has crashed 3 times now in the past few hours..
It's starts with planes bouncing up and down, and then 'connection lost' and it changes mission.

#147 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 22 November 2009 - 23:05

I understand that one wants to make use of all weather conditions available in the game.
BUT given THE CURRENT GAME ISSUES (no dogfight server with respawn, frequent kicks from server) and the LONG WAITING TIMES connected to all this, I would strongly suggest that conditions are set in a way THAT MAKES IT PLAYABLE also for beginners (not too strong winds for instance). If you are shot down and you have to wait ok so be it. If you crash your plane because of wind at take-off and you have to wait until you had to wait two other missions before because of trouble with the game that's another issue.

So UNTIL a dedicated dogfight server comes out I suggest to drop all those features that makes it more difficult for beginners than it is already now. All the waiting time will just add to the frustration.

#148 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:23

was having a great night at T&T and on last mission got "lost connection to master server" message and got ejected from the mission….anybody else?

#149 NickM

NickM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 21:35

Yep - me too.

Nick

#150 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 23 November 2009 - 22:27

Guys … if you experience server problems a post here is worthless. Masaq and I simply aren't likely to be able to respond in good time.

Please use our website, and hopefully a Community Admin (red tagged) will be able to help

Failing that - please PM me (epoch) on the T&T website, and assuming I'm awake I should be able to RDP onto the server from my iPhone and restart it.

The current RoF server executable (dserver.exe) gives us no way of recovering from a crash. It just sits and waits helplessly until someone logs onto the server console to restart it. I do wish it was more like our BF2 servers, where crashes are easily managed using FireDaemon. Unfortunately, FireDaemon and dserver.exe simply don't get on, so we're stuffed.

#151 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 23 November 2009 - 22:59

Thanks epoch, I used the shoutbox ealier to get the server restarted when it was in limbo and it worked, sadly i forgot who restarted it ;)

#152 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:48

The T&T server is DOWN for maintenance.

The support chaps at FireDaemon are going to try to get dserver running with their service management tool. If successful this should give us some form of crash recovery.

Please bear with us. We hope to have the server back up later today. The server may be up and down sporadically whilst testing takes place.

To know for sure when we've finished, please check our Teamspeak server (or the TS monitor on our site). Currently the channel name reflects the server status, and I'll change that when it's back up permanently.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

#153 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 26 November 2009 - 16:08

Thanks epoch.

#154 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 26 November 2009 - 16:26

Don't know if you chaps saw this post:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=4861

Looks like it might be a useful tool.

#155 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 26 November 2009 - 18:20

Cheers Sensenmann. I've seen the tool, but it's not really of interest.

Configuring the server is not a problem. Our problem is that dserver.exe is not very user friendly at the moment, but I'm sure Neoqb will get round to doing something about it, once they've addressed the multitude of other problems with the game.

We use FireDaemon on our dedis. This allows us to run the game server processes as system services. Importantly, it allows us to configure crash recovery. For example, when a Battlefield 2 server crashes, it typically throws up a dialog box. FireDaemon can be configured to 'look' for the contents of that dialog and 'deal' with it (for example, sending an 'OK' to close it). Once that's done, the game service will restart, auto load it's config, and the server is back up within a minute.

Dserver.exe just dies. And waits, like a dumb puppy, for someone to come and help. It won't even auto load it's configuration file without mucking around with stupid command lines, which FireDaemon can't handle. Neoqb could do so many simple things to make it easier for server hosters, but I'm sure it's way down near the bottom of a very long list.

#156 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 26 November 2009 - 18:39

The server's back up for the moment.

Will possibly be down during UK daytime hours in the next day or two, but I'll do my best to ensure it's back up for 'peak' hours :D

#157 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 26 November 2009 - 21:12

Great communication with the players Epoch S!

#158 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:40

Here are 5 new missions that I made which don't cause the 10019 error. THey've been thoroughly tested by T&T regulars, so I dont expect any bugs at this point. Each mission has random recon aircraft flying around which are not necessarily mission goals but more for immersion since thats what most of MvRs kills were.

Any mission makers, I got rid of 10019 errors by using new method for AI removal and reducing non-mission related elements such as decorative balloons, extra information timers, ground artillery. Please feel free to inspect the missions and use those elements in your own mission.

If you find any problems with them, please let me know and I will fix them asap

Chill31

Attached Files

#159 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 01 December 2009 - 23:09

All

I've taken the server down again whilst the FireDaemon chaps take a look at getting dserver working with their product.

They're based in Australia (currently 11 hours ahead of UK) and work 'office hours'. So .. I've had to take the server down now.

I'll start it back up again later.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but hopefully we'll get some crash recovery out of this!

#160 epoch71

epoch71

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:16

The T&T server's back up.

Looks like we've got it working in FireDaemon now. Turns out the problem is due to a bug in the way dserver.exe processes the command line.

I'll update this thread later with our results.

We have no crash recovery yet … that's our next challenge, but we're getting there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users