Photo
- - - - -

What to do when another player uses personal skin

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#161 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:18

I wonder what Richthofen would have done if three other people in the Luftstreitkräfte had said: hey, that's a great idea, an all red triplane. I'll paint mine all red as well!
He'd say "Let's make a movie and call it Flyboys!"

Oops… Josh beat me to it! :S!:

#162 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:20

Beat you to it! Nyek-nyek-nyek.

#163 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:27

:lol: :lol: :lol: touché

#164 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:28

everyone beat me to it. i don't think jasta 11 was that big anyway.

#165 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:34

A non existing problem needs an impractical solution!

Wow! You sound like a member of the US Congress! :lol: :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#166 Cerberus-GER

Cerberus-GER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 19:40

Anyway, someone suggested some posts before to write the name at personal skins on upper wing in sight of the pilot. I think this could be a possible way at first. I would feel like wearing knickers of other one´s by using skins of others.

#167 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:45

I wonder what Richthofen would have done if three other people in the Luftstreitkräfte had said: hey, that's a great idea, an all red triplane. I'll paint mine all red as well!

Mmmm I see a lot of black and red aircraft in the German WW1 air-force BTW. That's why the enemy had in mind that the red baron was flying on every front. Same to the zebra skin from Neckel or Kirchstein, who inspired who.
Or what about the personal markings, check your books and you will have notice this. Even the complex, Degelows Hirst was also used by another flyer.
So even in the "history world" these things could happen.
;)
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#168 MajorMayhem

MajorMayhem

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:32

Hum, perhaps it would be possible for skins to be submitted, approved of and enabled in protected mode but not made available for download. That way you can give your skins out to all your Squadies to be seen online but everyone else would only see default skins. My main concern is what MY people see not really what everyone else sees.

#169 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:39

If you make sure that "your people" have the same skins installed as you it should be no problem.

#170 MajorMayhem

MajorMayhem

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:13

If you make sure that "your people" have the same skins installed as you it should be no problem.

What about if your playing in a no mod server. My folks having my skin is all good and well however if it wasn't freely distributed on the web for anyone to download, but still encoded into the game to work, then I and all my squadies could play in mod off server but still use and see each others skins. Does that make any sense???

#171 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:30

What about if your playing in a no mod server. My folks having my skin is all good and well however if it wasn't freely distributed on the web for anyone to download, but still encoded into the game to work, then I and all my squadies could play in mod off server but still use and see each others skins. Does that make any sense???
No

#172 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 07 August 2011 - 15:17

Doesn't make much sense, what is the point of it? Preventing people that are not supposed to use your skins from doing so? Surely there are better methods, besides people using other peoples skins in multiplayer is rare and it is usually just the new guys that do this because they don't know any better.

You said you want to make sure to see the same that your pilots see and vice versa, quite easy, make sure everyone has the same skins installed. For example those of your most frequent and most dangerous enemies and/or squadrons you frequently fly on the same team with.

#173 charlo

charlo

Posted 07 August 2011 - 17:11

Doesn't make much sense, what is the point of it? Preventing people that are not supposed to use your skins from doing so? Surely there are better methods, besides people using other peoples skins in multiplayer is rare and it is usually just the new guys that do this because they don't know any better.

Yep, new folk like me, who until this and the other thread that discussed the etiquette of flying with other's skins did not realize how controversial it was.

I now know better, and don't do it anymore. When I started simming last year I spent a lot of time reading forums, guides, etc. so that I could responsibly join the simming community. But until these last few weeks I had never seen anything that addressed the issue raised in this very informative thread.

Airing these kinds of discussions is how communities share their common practices, be it flight simming or any other endeavor in which new folk are encouraged to join and are informed about the cultural practices of that community.

Charlo
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#174 MajorMayhem

MajorMayhem

Posted 07 August 2011 - 17:47

You said you want to make sure to see the same that your pilots see and vice versa, quite easy, make sure everyone has the same skins installed. For example those of your most frequent and most dangerous enemies and/or squadrons you frequently fly on the same team with.

I have to really fight the urge to be sarcastic here. No kidding, you have to have skins installed to see them. However by making your team skins available to only certain people it prevents others from assuming your identity and anyone who does not have your skin just sees a default one.

Either way sounds like unwarranted use of personal skins is not that big of an issue after all so the point is relatively mute.

#175 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 08 August 2011 - 15:22

Your skin is not your identity, your tag is. :D

#176 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 08 August 2011 - 15:26

Not everyone needs tags to find their way online, Pip ;) you know that.

#177 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 08 August 2011 - 15:52

I'm trying to wrap my head around this; so if I have a particular skin installed on my machine and the DS has the same skin installed in it's skins folder… and everyone else has the that same skin on their machines… then we should all be able to see it?
Is that with mods on or off?
And I keep hearing mention of a "mods on" server… how do you tell your server to be mods on? Where's the setting for that? (You watch it'll be obvious and I'll be having a "doh!" moment. :-))

I guess I'm looking for a way (like was mentioned) that our squadron can all see our individual skins in lieu of doing the whole application with 777 process. (We'd like to try it now and not months or weeks from now).

Can someone lay it out for me in layman's terms?
Gracias!

#178 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 16:00

Kirk, the host decides whether it Mods On or Mods Off.

There are (almost) no Mods On servers which led to the requirement that "the people" approve fantasy skins so they can appear with Mods Off (if the player has downloaded them).

Problem is, people here will vote for any fantasy skin no matter how butt ugly it is. Has one ever been rejected?

The other problem here is that a very few folks who submitted the fantasy skins didn't read the terms and conditions that say the skins no longer are their property and are available to everyone who wants to use them.

And in a very, very rare case, someone saw someone else flying "his" skin (even though it stopped being "his" when it was submitted. It belongs to the community).

And a tiny, almost microscopic portion of the community (27 people according to this poll) who didn't read the rules is throwing a tantrum.

Talk about much ado over nothing!

Only 68 people (out of many, many thousands of RoF players) even care enough about this topic to vote on it and 40 (60 percent, which in a real election would be termed a landslide) of them say the skins should be available to everyone, which is what was agreed to when they were submitted.

The people have spoken.

The election is over yet the whining continues.

What more is there to say about this non-topic?

Nothing.

#179 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 08 August 2011 - 16:16

I'm trying to wrap my head around this; so if I have a particular skin installed on my machine and the DS has the same skin installed in it's skins folder… and everyone else has the that same skin on their machines… then we should all be able to see it?
Is that with mods on or off?
Yes, if everyone has the skins installed on their local machines, then when in a MP server if someone chooses one of those skins, everyone will see it.

If the skin is in one of the official skin packs provided by 777, you can use them with Mods Off. If you want to use a skin that is not in an official pack (say one you created recently), you can use it only in Mods On. However, the server needs to be configured to be a Mods On server and, of course, everyone still has to have a copy of your skin if you want others to see it when you use it.

#180 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 08 August 2011 - 16:25

However, the server needs to be configured to be a Mods On server and, of course, everyone still has to have a copy of your skin if you want others to see it when you use it.

Ah, that's what I was looking for (and thanks HT)… how do I configure my server(s) to be Mods On?
I've searched, but can't seem to find a setting for such a setup anywhere.

#181 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 16:49

However, the server needs to be configured to be a Mods On server and, of course, everyone still has to have a copy of your skin if you want others to see it when you use it.

Ah, that's what I was looking for (and thanks HT)… how do I configure my server(s) to be Mods On?
I've searched, but can't seem to find a setting for such a setup anywhere.

Well now, that's an interesting point.

I haven't ever tried to set up a "Mods On" server and I just did try and it appears to be linked to the configuration you set when you (the server host) launch the game.

If you select Mods Off when you start, you will see only all the Mods Off servers when you go to multiplayer (that's almost all the servers).

If you select Mods On, you will see only the Mods On servers (at the moment I see only one that is running).

So, yeah, the selection in the host's game launcher determines it and, of course, the setting for any other players must be the same or they won't see it on the list.

Hope that helps.

:S!:

HT

#182 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:03

Humm… it sounds like you're talking about a "listen" server as opposed to a Dedicated Server… but maybe that hint would point me to the config file on the DS.

I'll check that out when I get home.

Thanks, HT!

#183 MungoShuntbox

MungoShuntbox

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:05

@ HotTom

Be fair to all Tom, it has clarified a few things around this subject, and note Charlo's comment as a new comer above; this chat has benefited the community. For a nonissue to generate 18 pages of, on the whole,thoughtful and constructive discussion, it's done pretty well.

The voting isn't over till 15 Aug by the way - although I doubt the trend will change - and sure, once opinion has been captured in the form of this poll, I am sure we'll all get back to flying. That's cool by us all.

At the end of the day - if some folk don't think it's any issue that's fine, they don't have to read, contribute or waste their time on this topic - but some folk do have thoughts and concerns about it, and surely we're entitled to put a post up and see what the rest of the community feel? Otherwise how can we say that a topic is a nonissue?

Terms like whining and tantrum don't really help guys, let's try and keep objective and fair.

Respect to all.

#184 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:12

Mungo, the issue was clarified a long time ago.

And tantrum and whining describe exactly what is going on.

They have had their say and they keep saying it over and over.

And almost no one agrees with them.

Fairness and respect should go both ways.

The majority rules.

The majority has spoken (it ain't gonna change substantially in the next week :mrgreen: )

Respect that.

#185 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:15

Humm… it sounds like you're talking about a "listen" server as opposed to a Dedicated Server… but maybe that hint would point me to the config file on the DS.

I'll check that out when I get home.

Thanks, HT!

Yes, I've never run a dedicated server so can't help you there.

:S!:

HT

#186 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:29

Here I go replying to a troll again, I should know better by now:

Tom seems to ignore the fact that many think the poll is flawed and have either not voted at all, or voted for one option despite having reservations because no option accurately depicting their opinion is present :).

#187 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:51

umm, me too :)

Tom, a question for you.

IF, if there were NO "personal" skins in the game, what loss would you feel ?, would the game be less of a game to you ?

In normal life, the majority also considers and respects the wishes of the minority, doesn't it ?, The majority never rules, it lives with the minority and tries to protect them and nurture their ways and wishes, this is the basis of a community, isn't it ?.

#188 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:58

umm, me too :)

Tom, a question for you.

IF, if there were NO "personal" skins in the game, what loss would you feel ?, would the game be less of a game to you ?

Less of a game? Not at all.

Well, first of all I consider it a simulation, not a game.

That said…

There are plenty of different historical skins to make the plane you are flying distinctive.

And I don't think the poll is ambiguous or poorly worded at all.

What is it about "NO" that you don't understand?

See, you guys just can't accept the majority doesn't agree with you.

It's decided. It's over. Go home.

There is nothing more to discuss.

(And that said, I think all polls are BS because they aren't in any way a scientific sampling of the community. But Sticky started this one because he saw someone flying one of his skins – wasn't me because I think Sticky makes the ugliest skins in the game :mrgreen: – so: Let's vote!)

#189 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:03

Tom seems to ignore the fact that many think the poll is flawed and have either not voted at all, or voted for one option despite having reservations because no option accurately depicting their opinion is present :).

Jorri, you truly don't understand what the word troll means.

You use the word "troll" for anyone who disagrees with you. That's not what it means.

Troll (not the kind that lives under a bridge :mrgreen: ) means to drag bait across the water trying to get fish to snap at it.

I'm not trolling.

Quite the opposite.

I'm telling you there is nothing left to discuss so STFU.

#190 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:10

In normal life, the majority also considers and respects the wishes of the minority, doesn't it ?, The majority never rules, it lives with the minority and tries to protect them and nurture their ways and wishes, this is the basis of a community, isn't it ?.

Sticky,

The majority rules.

It protects and respects the right of the minority to become a majority.

But it doesn't "nurture their ways and wishes." That's the minority's job.

Next time, read the contract before you sign it :xx:

#191 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:10

been watching this thread and havent wanted to FAN the Flames.

but … Geez guys, didnt you read the fine print regarding personal skins.

MY TAG IS PERSONAL, any skin ingame has NEVER in any game anywhere been just for me alone.

even .. all the way back to the "early" Mech warrior days.

18 to 19 pages - get over it guys.

edit -
oh , guess I just made it 20 pages now ,, arg.

#192 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:11

Tom , OK, I do respect your option, I have NP with that..

What I object to is you are calling the question closed…the poll has days to go, so no Sir, the question is not yet answered.

777 has NOT offered an option, and as they are the deciders on the subject it also means your calling of "majority rule" is wrong mate and is basically bulls##t, they are the deciders not you or me or anybody.

This is a commercial forum linked to a commercial product and is good basic marketing, it ain't no parliament, it is in essence free product support and market research with a touch of beta development testing chucked in.

777 do not directly mention ANY rules relating to the flying of skins or by who….just that no right are "owned" by the person who submitted it. We ALL await their answer.

MY TAG IS PERSONAL, any skin in-game has NEVER in any game anywhere been just for me alone.

That is the point,RoF COULD be the first game to achieve this level of unique customer connection.

#193 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:19

Enough.

You're just bumping this thing to try to keep it visible in the hopes someone else will vote to say the skins should be your private property.

Fact is, you've lost ground while we have been bumping :)

I'm outta this thread.

#194 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:24

OK , thanks, your contribution is appreciated by all I'm sure.

#195 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:25

As soon as all those who have voted were actually to start using their high valued freedom you will see how short lasted it is to be. Although this is a far from desirable situation for all involved.

Edit: and since the devs haven't chimed in yet, let's all start using the Flying Barans skins and see how much the poll matters ;).

And of course you don't think the poll is poorly worded. You care neither about fictional skins, nor about many of the people who use them, nor about the current ROF multiplayer. Yet you come in hear to bump this thread, and accuse those who reply to you for flogging a dead horse :).

Anyway, it well and truly deserves a lock now.

#196 MungoShuntbox

MungoShuntbox

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:59

Can I have the last word on this?

Thanks.

#197 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 08 August 2011 - 19:15

As the OP….I would like to say Lock it as well.

#198 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 08 August 2011 - 19:15

It's a non-issue let anyone who wants to fly in a skin fly in it - why are people even losing sleep over this. It's a waste of your keyboard-life-expectancy.

#199 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 August 2011 - 20:04

Personal skins should have never been allowed mods-off in the first place. It's all "me me me me me…" :zzz:

#200 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:00

Personal skins should have never been allowed mods-off in the first place. It's all "me me me me me…" :zzz:
We lost that battle a long time ago. I would have preferred a system of personalization in which we could have added logos/markings to "unmarked" historical or fictional skins rather than creating a completely different skin for each personalized aircraft.

An unfortunate consequence of making personal skins for the exclusive use of a particular pilot might be a further proliferation of personal skins as those who had been satisfied with using someone else's skin decided to get their own. I say unfortunate because each skin is over 5 MB and so they quickly add up to a large amount of data to be stored and imported into multi-player missions.

A single pilot with skins for his ten favorite planes is taking up over 50 MB of space on your hard drive. Just imagine if everyone who has flown on Hellequins (well over 2000 pilots) had 10 personal skins approved. That would be over 100 GB right there!

Because this system is so space-hungry we shouldn't encourage even more people to make personal skins! Support skin recycling! (Or agitate for a more efficient personalization system).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users