- - - - -

What to do when another player uses personal skin

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#121 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:30

//ENG:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z Aircraft of Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "Fictional skin for use by Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

Is the intent really not clear, if not, why is the English (World now) language so poor ?

English can be a precise language.

The quoted phrase would mean what you want it to mean if it said "Fictional skin for exclusive use by Fictional Pilot or Squadron", but it doesn't say that, so it doesn't mean that.
+1 I will certainly respect any request to refrain from using a skin, labeled with a Z, other than a NEWGUY skin, because I am totally using those! :lol: Still, I personally agree with Tushka and consider the NEWGUY skins for general community use, unless the ROF team indicates that I must consider a Z labeled skin otherwise, as a matter of terms of usage. Personally, I like the idea of the least regulation of creative choice in skin selection.

The NEWGUY skins do not belong to me and I get to enjoy them, with the permission of the ROF crew. I would like it if NEWGUY skins are seen as a shared community fictional skins, since I am of the opinion that I have no reasonable basis to prohibit the shared use of NEWGUY skins. I am not part of a squad and it is not essential to know that MJ Morrow is the guy behind the NEWGUY skin clad ROF plane.

The community does not need me to pick out a skin for them and I, personally, do not feel entitled or inclined to restrict the use of a NEWGUY skin. Still, out of common courtesy, I will refrain from using a fictional skin, if a member of the community would like to use a fictional skin exclusively, as a matter of community good will. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#122 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:15

LOL - self inflicted wounds don't count Zoring - nice try though :)

BTW - as an interim step in lieu of locking the thread at this point, I'm just going to delete any more off-topic/personal posts to try to keep this one on track (which is why the above comment won't make sense to anybody who didn't see the posts I've already deleted here) :)

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#123 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:43

Damn thought that would get me out of the trenches for sure :P Court-martial and firing squad for me instead!

#124 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:39

Ummm….As the \OP I would like to see the poll run, I naturally defer to Panther if he feels it needs locking.

On the "how often" question….as I said in the first line…"A guy using my skin"…A guy.
I have no other examples but others have shown a few more shots.

I agree as well that many are trying to be civil and keep their input to the positive side of the discussion, some who are mostly well know are not. We know them and expect it, a misplaced sense of funny mostly and easy to ignore.

? Is it a problem, I thought at first maybe not a big one but the votes so far show it is more common a practice than I thought.

? Where is the problem, it seems maybe it is more widespread and across all servers if all those voting to allow others to fly personal skins "really" do fly in others skins. I also think the "let have a pop" brigade are posting here but I am very reluctant to disagree with the votes. I have faith in the votes of others.

? Do we need rules or advice, my personal feelings are I hate rules, advice would be the best first action IF any action is needed, votes for "any flyer any skin" seem to be 70% and holding and would indicate no change is wished for my the majority.

? If we need some type of regulation, well maybe a little but nothing extensive, maybe those that are Server Admin or better still , run their own server, could make some comments about the methods or advise they would prefer to use (if they had to) rather than 777 having to spend any time on it…Guys ?
If yes, then my preference would be the same as the no team kill rule ect, a note on the server rules should do it most of the time. This naturally will never stop a troll doing it to piss people off, maybe it would encourage them….ummmm ?

? If No change, where does this leave the "personal skin", is there any point to it ?
I think A BIG YES and I hope it is not devalued in the eyes of the many personal skinners out there.

? Any Skin Any Pilots, to those who voted, would your game be devalued if the restricted road is taken ?, and why when there is massive choice across all aircraft ? This I don't understand and my simple brain says its all about "oh, thats nice I want it and Ill take it cus I want it". Enlighten me please because I am struggling to understand.

SF

Guys, it was a simple question and I do say sorry if you feel my simple question was to cause problems, it was not.

#125 =IRFC=Harry

=IRFC=Harry

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:03

Part of the problem with having a personal skin on a public download is the fact your skin becomes available to anyone to use. From one standpoint the skin was accepted to be seen by the rest of the community and potentially used by same community.

While I would feel flattered if I made a skin and someone else used it merely because of its nice design. It could be a major identifier of another problem, That if people aren't paying attention to who is causing any problems while in your personal skins then when the original pilot who made the skin comes on gets confused with someone ruining the pilots potential reputation because the pilot on the other side had a bad experience with someone using the same paint job whether it was the real pilot or not.

However in regards to the fact that the skins are then added to the list of usable skins I would have to say it should be okay to use a personal skin However if the original pilot is on then politely thank them for the skin being added to the main community for all to see its greatness and then if the pilot wishes their skin to be theirs alone while on the server, then any other pilot should respect their wishes. If it were to come down to trying to lockout people from using personalized skins on public servers mods off, then what would become the point of downloading the additional skins and the personal skins would then only be seen by those who download the skins just to see them and many would stop downloading the skinpacks to not use up computer space for the one or two times those single pilots came on.

Many of the planes i.e albatross D2 and D2 late don't have many skins (somewhere near 6 historical skins) and default, then personalized skins become the only way to break from the monotony of staring at a default skin when there are no other appealing options so I can understand a pilot using a personal skin. In one way think of it as another pilot thanking you or approving of your sense of taste when it comes to paint designs for the aircraft.

#126 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 02 August 2011 - 13:31

? Is it a problem, I thought at first maybe not a big one but the votes so far show it is more common a practice than I thought.

? Where is the problem, it seems maybe it is more widespread and across all servers if all those voting to allow others to fly personal skins "really" do fly in others skins.
I don't think your poll is proof of your first conclusion. You need a better designed poll to determine how common a practice it is for people to fly in others' skins.
? Any Skin Any Pilots, to those who voted, would your game be devalued if the restricted road is taken ?, and why when there is massive choice across all aircraft ? This I don't understand and my simple brain says its all about "oh, thats nice I want it and Ill take it cus I want it". Enlighten me please because I am struggling to understand.
I didn't vote but what do you mean by "restricted road?" If you mean implementing something in the game mechanics to enforce restricting skins then, yes, my game would be devalued– assuming we are talking about implementing this feature anytime in the near future. Its future value would be diminished over what it could be in the short run if this became a priority. I'd rather the devs focus their attention on FM review, creating additional planes and 2-seaters, addressing issues with gunnery and the new Career, and a few dozen other things ahead of this need for skin restriction.

And, thus far, at least a couple of the more vocal people that were concerned about this skin abuse have agreed this is not a significant issue at all. And your own experience appears to back that up as well. So it is a poor allocation of 777 resources to focus on this at this point. If the problem become more significant, then perhaps it should be revisited.

#127 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 02 August 2011 - 13:49

This OP does not need to be locked. That is not the problem. Yes people have difference of opinions. This is the world we live in. In most country they believe freedom of speech. At the same token we try to have rules with those freedoms when we have groups. In comes the “Forum Rules.”

http://riseofflight..../Правила Форума" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2267&hilit=Forum+Rules%2F%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B0+%D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%83%D0%BC%D0%B0

Some people tend to overstep these rules way too often. The personal attacks we can all do without. If you have an opinion we need to hear them. We do not have to agree with those opinions. This can and should be done without the name calling and personal jabs inflicted by others. So where are the Moderators?

#128 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 02 August 2011 - 14:18

BTW - as an interim step in lieu of locking the thread at this point, I'm just

The mods are in this thread doing an excellent job of moderating. Since you asked.

#129 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 August 2011 - 15:08

I agree that there are a lot of other things I'd like to see the devs spending time on before this one, but I think it's useful to air these kinds of issues out to give a sense of how important some of these potential changes might be to players - a good source of market research.

I do think the poll could be tweaked to be a little more useful - I voted for the "free for all" choice, not because I would ever fly anybody else's skin in MP (I wouldn't - I can make my own :) ), and not because I don't think it would be nice if we had an option to designate "open" or "restricted" as I mentioned above, but because I didn't think all skins should be restricted and there wasn't another poll choice. So, it's hard to read too much into some of these responses.

BTW - another OT exchange deleted - you guys duke it out in PM if you really want to go there.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#130 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 17:09

I voted "free for all" not because I routinely fly in other player's skins, but because on multiple occasions when I've been winging with another player or squad I've been invited to use their skins and I'd like to keep that option open.

Actually, at the moment I've got "display skins in multiplayer" set to "off" because I've been getting too many skin-related out-of-memory errors on the Les Hellequins and Oceanic servers. (I hope to upgrade to a 64 bit OS before the year is out.)

#131 Wolf_Schultz

Wolf_Schultz

Posted 02 August 2011 - 17:25

I never download personal skins anyway, the vast majority are ugly as hell and it ruins my immersion because few look anything near historical skins, especially when for the Brits it was only the RNAS that had any colorful planes (yes, I know the color schemes of all the Jasta's…due to a misspent youth). So, all you blokes look like default planes to me. :)

#132 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 02 August 2011 - 17:54

I never download personal skins anyway, the vast majority are ugly as hell and it ruins my immersion because few look anything near historical skins, especially when for the Brits it was only the RNAS that had any colorful planes (yes, I know the color schemes of all the Jasta's…due to a misspent youth). So, all you blokes look like default planes to me. :)

As I stated before, I voted "Free for all", but after reading through this thread, I think I'm going to follow along with Wolf_Schultz and his idea… and not download personal skins at all from now on. 8-)

In fact, I think I'm going to go in and delete all the personal skins on my drives this evening (but I'll be keeping the Historical ones of course)… cause I'll be damned if I'm going to get hollered at by some self-centered pilot on my own server because I'm flying his or someone else's skin. Piss on that!
:x

#133 MungoShuntbox

MungoShuntbox

Posted 02 August 2011 - 18:08

One point however….are not personal skins and linking them to one player…("Personal Skin for the use of…." "Skin for the use of xyz….squad") not one of the best things about the game ? and as such should there be a bit more protection of such a service ?

Apologies to anyone if some one else has already made any of these valid points but I couldn't face 13 pages of discussion on this…

It's great that skilled skinners will research and donate their skills when making historical skins; folk who make nonhistorical skins and donate them as 'free for all' are great too.

BUT (it's in caps so it must be a big but)I think it is fair that if someone does go to the effort of doing a skin that meets the pretty strict criteria to be accepted in the skin pack, in my mind they also deserve the right to reserve that skin for their sole personal use. Intellectual property and all that.

Getting to the nitty gritty, the poll is flawed as it's a two way vote; there should be three options to vote for:

1. This is historical - please use when you want
2. This is fictional - but by all means fly it in MP games
3. This is my personal or squad skin. I'd like you to be able to see it in MP games but otherwise I'm the one who sweated over it, please respect it as mine.

So - does anyone want a vote on whether we start a new poll with a three way choice?

#134 AirBoRnE[HUN]

AirBoRnE[HUN]

Posted 02 August 2011 - 19:34

im not selfish, but for me its like someone would use my face, or my signature. Personal skins are to distinguish you from the other pilots. Its your virtual ID.
The best would if we could make skins for personal and skins for the public.

I almost forgot, and if everyone can use someones personal skin its pointless, couz it losts its credibility.

#135 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 02 August 2011 - 20:01

"]and if everyone can use someones personal skin its pointless, couz it losts its credibility.
I would agree with you if that were actually happening.

#136 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 21:06

Note that the current poll has two non-contradictory options. The fact is that fictional skins are both for the use of a particular pilot or squadron, and free for everyone else to use.

The first is indicated in the description of the skin, and the second is in the Terms and Conditions that the skinner agreed to when submitting the skin.

• By submitting a paint scheme in this manner, the author agrees to a forgo of any his copyrights of said paint scheme and make it available for unlimited use.

Quoted from: Terms and Conditions for Skins creation and placement

Those who think that 'their' skin is for their exclusive use apparently failed to read the Terms and Conditions carefully.

"Unlimited use" aka "free-for-all" has been the RoF policy since fictional skins were first accepted.

Those who want exclusive use are in fact requesting that the RoF policy be changed.

Nevertheless, I think most of us will agree that because some of these fictional skins are for the use of particular pilots or squadrons that it is only courteous to avoid using these skins when said pilots or squadrons are present on a multi-player server, unless, of course, you have been invited by said pilot or squadron to use their skin.

Furthermore, on the rare occasion when a pilot whose skin you happen to be using joins the server you are on, the polite thing to do is change skins at the first opportunity.

That pilot also has every right to request that you cease using it.

However, a request is not a demand. While I hope you would comply with this request, you have every right to be a jerk. :roll:

Luckily, the vast majority of RoF pilots are of the courteous variety. It doesn't look to me like we actually have a problem.

#137 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 August 2011 - 21:25

Well said.

#138 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 02 August 2011 - 21:33

Just a note on that quote

• By submitting a paint scheme in this manner, the author agrees to a forgo of any his copyrights of said paint scheme and make it available for unlimited use.

Does this not refer to exclusive rights held by 777 on the skinners work ?, I thinks so. It has nothing to do a pilots/game owners "right" to use a skin within the game play.

777 "infer" the exclusivity of use for the plane as you quoted in the Skin guides/text.
I accept the wording could be better but it is the file after all ! )

#139 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 22:27

Does this not refer to exclusive rights held by 777 on the skinners work ?, I thinks so. It has nothing to do a pilots/game owners "right" to use a skin within the game play.

What part of "forgo … copyrights" or "available for unlimited use" don't you understand?

"forgo … copyrights" means that you (the skinner) no longer have any say in how the skin is to be used by anybody, anywhere, at any time. You have given up all rights to it.

"Unlimited" means no limits.

In the context of this discussion this means that you (the skinner) can not set conditions on how, where or when 777 Studios or their customers use this skin.

All we need here is some courtesy and a little tolerance, and that is what we generally see.

#140 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 02 August 2011 - 22:55

What part of "forgo … copyrights" or "available for unlimited use" don't you understand?

"forgo … copyrights" means that you (the skinner) no longer have any say in how the skin is to be used by anybody, anywhere, at any time. You have given up all rights to it.

"Unlimited" means no limits.

In the context of this discussion this means that you (the skinner) can not set conditions on how, where or when 777 Studios or their customers use this skin.

All we need here is some courtesy and a little tolerance, and that is what we generally see.

I hear what you're sayin' Tushka, but my guess would be that the wording is more in the context of 777, not it's users.

Sure, submitting a skin removes all rights by it's creator, but that is SOP for games that allow user created content.

My interpretation of the text is more like:

I lose all rights to a skin I created (i.e. I can't copyright that skin if I make a video/movie for example, and Steven Spielburg wants to use that video in a movie film and offers me a million dollars for the rights to that video)…I would have to wheel and deal with 777 because 'technically' it is not my skin anymore - it is their (777's) skin in their game….to do with what they chose (which right now, is choosing to let all users of ROF, fly with them).

THAT is the context as I interpret it.

Unlimited use for 777 - not unlimited use by anyone.

Unlimited use simply means 777 can do with it whatever they want. Right now, they (777) want to let all ROF users fly in it. Simple as that really. But it looks like we may be saying the same thing….just differently. ;)

#141 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 02 August 2011 - 23:30

Personally I'm not bothered about anyone wearing my skin, think I would be quiet flattered actually, now if they started wearing squad insignia, now that's a different kettle of fish i.e ST_shuttlecock and wearing a skin big no no. :x :evil:

#142 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 02 August 2011 - 23:40

69# I understand it all thank you, English is my native language.

However, the quote you use to illustrate "free rights for all" is from the 777 Conditions of Use. And I agree it refers to 777 being the sole owners of the skin, and that they, have unlimited rights to it, for whatever they may wish to do with it.

The Terms and Conditions however have zero relevance or mention of "skin use" within the game-play by registered players whom have, agreed to the 777 terms. Why would there be ? it is what it is, a T&C agreement of purchase and use , nothing else.

In the Personal Skins Use case we are discussing, the question is how 777 wish the skin to be used ..The ONLY mention we have is…to insist that we use their file system and use the words, "aircraft of xyz" when naming the aircraft.

This naming system is insisted on so that there can be a system (controlled by 777) of Unique Player ID in multi-player games, icons off. This is primarily a system that enables YOUR OPPONENT to ID you, the benefit to you is you get to paint your own plane.

The above insistence on using the words "aircraft of xyx", does infer a level of unique permission to the named person. This is further confirmed as their (777) intent when they include this exact information in officially provided game software.

They do not anywhere hint, infer or point to anything that says "personal skins" are free for all to use.
Why, if their intent and practice is to have a system of uniquely named aircraft linked to unique player IDs, would they ( and its your interpretation )wish this system to be totally pointless by non linked players flying unique aircraft ??..that's just daft isn't it ?

#143 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:11

@ Sticky - you have postulated an interesting twist on the interpretation of the naming convention "aircraft of xyz" - unfortunately, you read too much into that.

That naming convention was NOT created by 777 - it was created by me, and was not intended in any fashion to mean or imply anything about this whole "right to use" debate. It was simply something I came up with a long time ago (in my role as unpaid skins moderator with no official relationship with or authority to speak on behalf of 777) to make it easier on skin submitters to meet the localization/translation requirement of the 777 skin submission process by providing folks with a ready-to-use, pre-translated template for their required .txt file. I was just trying to keep the translation thing from deterring people from submitting their fictional skins into the approval process

So, no helpful legislative history for you on that one - nice try, though :D

#144 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:42

What surprises me, is that so few people seem to value at all the function of custom skins as a way to identify eachother (pilots and squadrons).

Together with literally being able to personalise your aircraft, this is the only use of custom skins for me.

It's probably arrogant of me, but I'm completely baffled that so many people don't share this view. Because if you care about that at all, you'd support the idea that people shouldn't fly eaachothers skins.

Of course, it's all academic because the problem is non-existant. Whiel many people apparently think skins should be free for use by all, hardly anyone actually does use other people's skins. But I'm still flabbergasted.

#145 MungoShuntbox

MungoShuntbox

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:21

Oh I love it - one minute we're saying things like "what part don't you understand", then asking for people to show courtesy and patience, then going into the fine print of the T and Cs to prove a point.

69# - you are quite right. There is a suggestion that 777's personal skin policy is altered for all the reasons discussed. Jorri's summary above is what it's all about.

Sticky's quite reasonable start to this thread was that he'd asked for someone to stop using his personal skin while they were both in the same MP game, and that person didn't. All appeals on this thread for nice behaviour are fine - this person he refers to is not someone who behaves like that, so the question was, what to do about it.

So far the answer seems to be "it's regrettable and naughty but we will leave things as they are because the majority of us don't see it as a regular problem".

That's democracy and I'm ok with that, but if we do get some a pilot on a server who won't be nice and courteous when asked not to use a personal skin, may I suggest that as fair and reasonable people, we all make efforts to shoot them down, then kick them and ban them for being a plank.

#146 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:05

69#, my/our point it seems is incorrect on the skin terms etc, we are getting in to "deep" with this anyway, sorry for the long reactive point.

Panther# ..thank you for the information…..it was as you said digging into the detail anyway and as Alf and others say, we all are into to much detail for the number of times the practice happens which I think we all know is relatively uncommon.

So, it is not anything to do with the T&C or anything else other than that is the way it has grown up.

#147 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:43

Politics :xx:

I guess what it boils down to is if you upload something on the internet its not yours anymore. You have to leave it up to the individual to make the choice of whether or not he should take the skin. Maybe they just like the color, yea it's a skin that you designed, but you cant do much about it can you? Read all the fine print you want, but its still up to the individual to do the right thing.
:S!:

#148 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:49

Unless the server decides to enforce rules on it…

#149 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:19

How are you really going to stop it? I'm all for not using others skin's but really. The only way it could work is if the skin was only available for the user. Squadrons on here, correct me if I'm wrong, are not sponsered by 777. They are completley player sponsered. Therefore without a set system for who has what skin in what squadron with what plane, and only these set people can use this certain squadron insignia. All users could still use the skins unless reported. (are you really gonna ban people because they think dark green and red looks good on a gotha?) Of course if there doing it to be a jerk, like always kick them from the server like on any other day. ( By the way this system all sounds complicated and time consuming). So I just say again, leave it up to the community to figure this problem out.

#150 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:23

A non existing problem needs an impractical solution!

#151 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:34

Just pointing out that you would need a set system that catalogs each persons skin, crossed with the squadron insignia for it to work. That would mean each time someone gets booted or kicked, you run to the website, search ST_Pip2 and see hey! Hes and ST and has three personal skin's in a Se5a, DR.1, and pup! But I know I saw him with my blue wing tips and yellow tail! Lets ban him! See how this would not work at all? You would have to be absolutly certain in the 5 seconds you are on my tail that im in your skin, when all that may define your skin from others is having an owl on the nose not an eagle.

#152 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:44

I wonder what Richthofen would have done if three other people in the Luftstreitkräfte had said: hey, that's a great idea, an all red triplane. I'll paint mine all red as well!

#153 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:48

I wonder what Richthofen would have done if three other people in the Luftstreitkräfte had said: hey, that's a great idea, an all red triplane. I'll paint mine all red as well!

He probably would have posted something really nasty on Twitter.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#154 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:49

A picture of his bum?

#155 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:49

I appreciate the fact that a skin is "Personal" by nature. I wonder how this is best handled and think it has to be done on 777's end. Tying skins to your personal account is the logical solution - rather than expecting a server to play the part of enforcement. If left to servers to ""enforce", unsupervised servers would still have the problem.

As far as "enforcement" goes - I could make it part of our mission descriptions to ask people not to use the "Personal" skins. While I don't cherish the idea of policing "skin abuse", it could be done. However - stopping everything to chastise people for choosing a skin is not the best way to spend our time. And frankly, I don't want to do it.

Part of the solution might be as simple as Syn_Mr Wolf suggested - making a larger variety of "Fun" skins available for use by the community. There aren't a ton of skins available for some of the planes and people are going to be attracted to something racier than the generic historical skins. Like it or not, historical skins were pretty boring for the most part.

This thread has been rotating long enough for 777 to take notice of it. If I were to risk making an assumption - I don't think they percieve this as a real problem. Perhaps we need a bit of imput from the 777 team to clarify the situation.

#156 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:51

A picture of his bum?

I would hope so.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#157 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:55

If I were to risk makning an assumption - I don't think they percieve this as a real problem. Perhaps we need a bit of imput from the 777 team to clarify the situation.

They probably don't need to. It's turned into a discussion mostly for the sake of it (which Im completely alright with, I think it's an interesting discussion). There is no cake, there is no spoon and there is not really a problem :).

There's one great solution. The more personal skins there are, the better. If you want to fly something other than the historical skins and you don't want to take someone else's, contact someone who you know makes skins. Perhaps he'll be happy to make you one, completely to your specifications. Just in case, hold a free packet of field mods ready to draw him across the line. You'll be sporting your own colours in no time :D

And of course, you can learn to skin yourself. There are some nice tutorials out there, also aimed at free software I believe.

#158 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:02

These forums always turn into interesting disscusions :lol:

#159 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:10

Just pointing out that you would need a set system that catalogs each persons skin, crossed with the squadron insignia for it to work. That would mean each time someone gets booted or kicked, you run to the website, search ST_Pip2 and see hey! Hes and ST and has three personal skin's in a Se5a, DR.1, and pup! But I know I saw him with my blue wing tips and yellow tail! Lets ban him! See how this would not work at all? You would have to be absolutly certain in the 5 seconds you are on my tail that im in your skin, when all that may define your skin from others is having an owl on the nose not an eagle.

Once you become suspicious you can always start recording a track, to be checked later. Then you have definite proof ;)

#160 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:11

Well, my guess is that he would have then painted his black, and then they might've all flown over to French territory and shot up a bunch of Nieuport 17s just for the hell of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users