Photo
- - - - -

What to do when another player uses personal skin

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#81 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:33

what if the 95% decided to vote down skins that weren't for their benefit.

While I don't put that sort of asshole behavior past 95% of the population, I'm betting that at least 90% of the population is too apathetic or lazy to do something like that.

#82 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:42

Just to be sure all you guys who do not take hours to make your own skins understand the rules and the constraints put on us that do by 777.

Fictional skin for use by Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron in many languages .

//ENG:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z Aircraft of Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "Fictional skin for use by Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

//FRA:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z Avion de Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "Peinture fictive utilisée par Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

//GER:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z Flugzeug von Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "Fiktiver Skin benutzt von Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

//RUS:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z С-т пилота Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "Вымышленный скин. Автор: Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

//SPA:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z Avion de Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "esquema de colores usado por Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

//
//Skin author name: Name
//
//Skin author forum nickname: nickname
//
//Skin author contact e-mail: e-mail address
//
//Skin historical background: Fictional skin for use by Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron
//

Is the intent really not clear, if not, why is the English (World now) language so poor ?

#83 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:48

Didn't anyone teach you to share Sticky?

#84 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:53

Yes… I HAVE shared many skins with MANY people,…. people I like and it has taken me MANY MANY HOURS to do it as well!…..so up yours mate ! aggg

Wondered when a dip stick would get personal :(

EDIT I said it so I will leave it up… : OK sorry I should not of reacted…….but your post, it was not very helpful….I think the thread has stirred a lot of feeling, either way it HAS stayed civil and non personal which is great and I thank every one who has posted, your post did not assist that.

#85 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:59

Wondered when a dip stick would get personal

The community is chock full of 'em. At least you always have one handy when you need to check your oil. But you never know when you'll find one painted up like your aeroplane.

#86 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:02

"Up Ya Bum" to quote another :)

#87 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:06

I twirl my moustache in amusement.

#88 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:08

I hope that is all your twirling ! OK ?

#89 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:08

I'm not one for twirling my penis at strangers

#90 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:15

Really, Rupert Murdoch sent me pictures…I have to say…don't like your skin :) its a strange colour and has the wrong markings

#91 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:22

Well, looks like the majority of the community supports skin abuse. No surprise there, human nature being what it is.

If anyone wants to fly on a server where skin abuse is not allowed, my server does not allow people to use other people's personal paint schemes.

It's one of many fine singular qualities about the server which go unappreciated by more than 99% of the community.

#92 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:24

//ENG:

"graphics\Skins\Correct folder name\File name, starting with correct prefix.dds" "xxxxxxxx" "z Aircraft of Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron" "Fictional skin for use by Name of Fictional Pilot or Squadron"

Is the intent really not clear, if not, why is the English (World now) language so poor ?

English can be a precise language.

The quoted phrase would mean what you want it to mean if it said "Fictional skin for exclusive use by Fictional Pilot or Squadron", but it doesn't say that, so it doesn't mean that.

#93 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:25

what if the 95% decided to vote down skins that weren't for their benefit.

While I don't put that sort of asshole behavior past 95% of the population, I'm betting that at least 90% of the population is too apathetic or lazy to do something like that.

This says more about your attitude than reality. Look at the votes Josh - better than 70% for free-to-use skins and growing. I suspect that when people read this thread they are seeing the same self-righteous indignation and condescending attitudes they have come to detest and have the chance to kick in a few teeth through the voting process.

After this poll concludes - with the vast majority opting for free-to-use - maybe you should re-evaluate your assessment that people are too apathetic to act in unison. The sad thing is that your cause would have been far better served if a few of the voices had been restrained or even silent.

#94 Cerberus-GER

Cerberus-GER

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:26

Putting your name on the side of your airplane will do little to help prevent others from flying your skins - since the pilot cannot see it from the cockpit.

…instead, make them STARE at your name, and it may deter some of them….

:lol: :x :lol:

Good idea! :S!:

#95 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 18:29

You know Razor, I kinda don't give a shit. If a goon squad is gonna grief skin polls en masse because the owner doesn't want other people wearing his skin, and if the herd of goons is going to wear someone else's skin because they can and no one to speak of has the decency to stop them, then there really isn't much point having a personal skin anyway. Enjoy your hive-mind

#96 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:00

Does anyone have any sense for how widespread (or not) this problem actually is? I have serious doubts it is anything other than an occasional annoyance. Perhaps on the Newbie Server it happens more often? Would make sense as folks are so new to the game there (or should be) that they most likely just scanned the available skins and grabbed one they like w/o reading its description. Oooh, shiny, pretty skin! Must have!

I see there are a few strong feelings in here, but I suspect this has been blown far out of proportion.

#97 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:08

You're right, Arjisme; it doesn't happen that often. Certainly not enough for me to become very bothered over it.

What bothers me is that ~70% of the community wants it to happen.

#98 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:09

out of respect for the creator, ASK FIRST! i voted free for all

#99 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:17

Most of those who vote probably don't fly MP anyway, I am sure nobody will object to them using whatever skin they like within the privacy of their own game.

#100 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:26

Is the 70-%-30 split indicative of the "true sim" -vrs- "furball xbox" games market ?? (sorry to box it like that)

A full 13 days to run on the poll, wait and see, keep your faith in good grace and respect.

Imp: sure, no objections off MP…never had, I dont think anybody does.

#101 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:29

Most of those who vote probably don't fly MP anyway, I am sure nobody will object to them using whatever skin they like within the privacy of their own game.

i agree with the private games.

#102 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:36

Is the 70-%-30 split indicative of the "true sim" -vrs- "furball xbox" games market ?? (sorry to box it like that)

A full 13 days to run on the poll, wait and see, keep your faith in good grace and respect.
I don't think the poll results will be very meaningful. Some portion of voters will vote against just to tweak folks noses. I think this is a great deal of fuss over a very minor thing and admit I was tempted to vote for the "available to all" option just out of spite. But I didn't. :mrgreen:

Instead, I haven't voted at all. I guess it would be nice to have a way to make certain skins available only to a specific player but I would NOT want 777 to put any effort toward making that a reality until a distant future when we have far more pressing things dealt with.

I would prefer we find a way to deal with this amongst ourselves without it having to be a huge crisis.

#103 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:42

I'll have to hold my vote.

While it would be nifty if there was an easy way for the developers to tie a certain skin as exclusive to a specific account, I wouldn't want to pull resources away from implimenting something more important. (which is just about anything/everything).

In the meantime, we can only hope that those who use other folks' skins, will remind themselves when online, in those circumstances, that their actions may reflect on that person, and act acordingly.

What else can you do, really?

#104 MattM

MattM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:51

A poll like,

"Did you ever feel offended, because someone else was using your own personal skin online?"

might make more sense. And the results would be pretty one-sided i guess. Even if only people who regularly fly online would vote.

If this would present a huge problem (and i'm really not seeing that right now), i think it would be up to the servers to implement a rule forbidding the use of other peoples personal skins.

#105 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:55

A poll like,

"Did you ever feel offended, because someone else was using your own personal skin online?"

might make more sense. And the results would be pretty one-sided i guess. Even if only people who regularly fly online would vote.

If this would present a huge problem (and i'm really not seeing that right now), i think it would be up to the servers to implement a rule forbidding the use of other peoples personal skins.

MattM, I'm curious how would a server admin do that? Is it possible now?

#106 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:59

Yep. "Das boot."

#107 MattM

MattM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 21:02

MattM, I'm curious how would a server admin do that? Is it possible now?
Implementing such a rule? Sure.

The guy who feels offended then only has to record a track, showing the other guy using his skin and send it to the admin. The Admin would then play the track and see the name of the pilot and can verify wether or not he used a personal skin he wasn't allowed to use. And then the admin could take action against that player.

We don't have such a rule on the Hellequins server btw., so don't send me those tracks please.

#108 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 01 August 2011 - 21:09

Ugh, sounds cumbersome and not really worth it… doesn't it?
Why go to so much trouble over a skin that was released into the wild?
Sounds a little anal to me. (no offense intended)

I guess it's apparent how I voted in the poll. Ha! :-)

#109 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 01 August 2011 - 21:11

Sorry I prefer bareback. So don't worry about me using your skins.

#110 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 01 August 2011 - 21:14

Well, I certainly hope we can get some "Skin Police" soon, this epidemic is getting out of hand. :roll:

#111 MattM

MattM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 22:08

Ugh, sounds cumbersome and not really worth it… doesn't it?
Indeed, that's why we don't have such a rule.

#112 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 August 2011 - 23:05

You're right, Arjisme; it doesn't happen that often. Certainly not enough for me to become very bothered over it.

What bothers me is that ~70% of the community wants it to happen.

I agree. It's not a problem at all currently and it rarely happens.

But the fact that almost nobody here can associate himself with a pilot who is annoyed by other people using his personal skin, something he put a lot of work into and which bears his own personal colours, slogan and emblem.

I'm pretty sure most people here are voting just out of spite because they think me and some others are being anal about this, even though they themselves would never use anyone elses personal skin.

Which is stupid, because we're making a personal valid point. It's not worth into getting in such a fuss over, but currently it's the people who value the ability to keep personal skins personal who are being earnest and all the others who seem to be just trolling to see how far this can go.

I see a whole lot of people here pretending that there is nothing to be said for the fact that your personal skin is for your use only. I don't think these people really believe that and think that black and white. They just want the people who think otherwise to look bad.

#113 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 02 August 2011 - 00:18

I've decided i'm going to fly Josh Echo's skins only and I encourage all to do the same… Why you may ask? Because it would send his "I'm better than everyone else because I have no job and still live with my momma and all I do is play this game because I have no life." ass into a tizzy that we could all appreciate.Grow up! It should be cool that other ppl like your work and would want to use it. And Josh i'm sorry dude but you would bitch if you woke up and found a girl giving you a blowjob. Just enjoy the sim and have fun with it. No one likes going into… Fast Food we'll say for reference. And see you typing a book in the chat of how you feel the server should be run. If i could i'd disable the chat just to get rid of the never ending paragraphs of your mindless ramblings. Nuff said
:twisted:

#114 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 02 August 2011 - 00:19

Sorry, too personal for me. This thread should be locked.

#115 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:02

s8n13 to me that is totally over the line.

#116 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:31

s8n13 to me that is totally over the line.

Oh and your so much better than me cheating your way to the top with multiple pc's and bragging about it? We all know Josh is your little buddy. I think cheating is more over the line than anything. Piss off

#117 charlo

charlo

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:35

(Excuse me while I temporarily hijack the thread back to its topic and quote myself from back on page 4.)

I'm kind of hoping it isn't poor taste or form to fly someone else's skin in MP, because I am a simple man, so I like flying my Camel with a "C" on the side - and Comet's IRFC skin has exactly that. So I usually fly with his skin when I fly the Camel in MP.

Since I started flying with Comet's Camel skin I've been told by other IRFC folk that Comet rarely flies ROF anymore (I think because he has a new child), and in MP chat I was never given the impression any of them minded that I fly with it.

I would, of course, immediately stop if I was asked to do so by Comet in particular (I've never communicated with him) or any of the IRFC members.

I figure in MP I'll just be the most courteous and pleasant chap I can be, especially when flying with someone else's skin, so that no one would have cause to think ill of the original person associated with that skin. I may not be a skilled pilot, but I strive to be a gracious one.

And a big :S!: to Comet, wherever he may be.

Charlo

Most of what I know about flight sims is from this ROF community, this being my first flight sim and all, so I enjoy reading most of the debates and reasoning I see here.

After watching and learning from this thread I can now see that my flying with Comet's skin was pushing the boundaries of acceptability, and I apologize for that.

Seeing how Comet has not logged in to these forums since last October, and I've never been fortunate enough to meet him in the MP servers, I'm also concerned that my flying around in Comet's skin so much these last 8 months or so may have caused folk to think of me rather than him when they see an IRFC Camel with a C on it. That's not fair to Comet or the IRFC guys.

I much prefer to err on the side of consideration and politeness, so I'll start flying in the historical skins of real pilots, the squadron defaults, or the default Camel skin until I decide that I want to create and submit my own personal Camel skin.

Until I get my own skin, you'll know it's me in a Camel when you see my name listed as "<your nickname> has shot down Charlo". :D

Charlo
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#118 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:50

methinks S8n13 had his kill streak ended by Josh!

#119 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:59

Unbelievable. Most folks are contributing members of this community. And then there is S8n13.

Where's a mod when you need one? He should get a vacation at the very least for that kind of crap.

Dude, thanks for confirming for me why I've had you on Ignore for ages.

#120 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:19

OK - I was kinda interested in the course of this discussion (personally, I'd like to see a third option in the poll and perhaps in the game, i.e., some selectable ability for the skin submitter to designate their skin to be either "restricted" to themselves or "open" for general use, if it wouldn't be too hard to program or cause some slowdown in the game from having to check for that), but I suspect that this thread has probably run its course. If you've got anything constructive to say on this actual topic, please do so, but if there are going to be any more personal attacks (which, by the way, are against the Forum rules) then I guess it'll be a sign that it's time to lock it up.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users