- - - - -

What to do when another player uses personal skin

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#41 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:30

No I don't.

Personally my interest is in if it is important to the uniqueness of the game and would it damage 777 sales model…which has "personal but approved skins" as a part of it's USP. This is a very interesting marketing question on its own.

So no, we are not all children and we do not all live in a simplistic little world , you might..I don't.

back to topic
I beg to differ. it is like children. ppl should just play and enjoy the game. the ppl that get on here and make a big deal out of nothing and make the game less enjoyable for new ppl coming in. if i see a skin i like i use it. they should make it to where only that person can choose it if it is so important. I'm just saying i'm sure it is possible to do that. so if ppl don't want anyone using them then they should work on something like that.

#42 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:37

What…like this from a few posts up ?

?? I also wonder IF the players log on (its auto) ? could/should be used ? to "activate" the skin, everybody else can only see it in-game but not use it….??

funny that….I was saying just the same thing…maybe you couldn't hear me through all my tears.

#43 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:38

1]. @Siegfried, no problem, I can, luckily, not do any judgement on what you like, only, in my remembering, I think it is strange that for a sample your skin has very bright personal markings, I would dim them like the colours on the wings or fuselage. If weathering appears it will be even more on those colourful pigments. But your skins are not ugly BTW.
just my 2cents on that

2]. Some put in a generic squadron skin in the "for fun" skins [and keep your own], maybe this could be a solution for Stickyfinger here.

3]. Lets make one thing clear; I would give all, the skinners a big thank for all those effort, I'm so jealous that I do not have that talent, but Guys keep in your mind, as a frequent reader here I noticing also some frustration in this forum, about the for fun skins, that is conflicting when it becomes to personal taste.
I suspect the big amount of skins are even delaying the loading times. Hell give me an easy to work skin remover.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#44 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:46

Any skin is a good skin if 777 pass it and the forum votes it.

Are these not here already in the form of the Historical Skins ?

I don't think personal skins slow the load, I would ask that as a separate question however if you could it would be good to know.

#45 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:52

I agree that it's quite lame to use someone else's skin. It's pretty damn obvious that these skins are someone's personal skin because the name tells you so. This person put effort into making the skin, or someone else put effort into making it for him: so that he can fly with his own colours and paintscheme, and others can recognise him.

If someone else uses such a skin in a multiplayer, I don't think that's very respectful of the effort that went into it.

On the other hand, it's not big enough a deal to make a fuss about.

#46 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:16

Personally my interest is in if it is important to the uniqueness of the game and would it damage 777 sales model…which has "personal but approved skins" as a part of it's USP. This is a very interesting marketing question on its own.
I don't see this "issue" damaging 777's sales model at all. I seriously doubt that the ability to have personal skins is the make or break decision point for any noticeable segment of RoF customers, current or future. My opinion, of course…

#47 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:18

It's very important for me and my squadron to be able to fly with our own skins. I can imagine that this is the same for other squadrons, as well.

#48 Rexmundi

Rexmundi

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:25

"It's very important for me and my squadron to be able to fly with our own skins. I can imagine that this is the same for other squadrons, as well."

Then with respect, Jorri, remove it from the public download.

Why should I host your skin if I can't use it? Please remove it from my PC then we're all happy.

#49 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:28

"It's very important for me and my squadron to be able to fly with our own skins. I can imagine that this is the same for other squadrons, as well."

Then with respect, Jorri, remove it from the public download.

Why should I host your skin if I can't use it? Please remove it from my PC then we're all happy.

Because then I can't fly it? All the skins that are released are included in the public skinpacks.

And when you download a fictional skinpack, 99% of them are personal skins. I'd rather say, if you don't want to download personal skins, don't download the fictional skinpacks ;).

#50 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:49

You can do this. You can delete individual skins. People wearing them will show up to you as having the default skin.

#51 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 31 July 2011 - 17:04

I suspect the big amount of skins are even delaying the loading times. Hell give me an easy to work skin remover.

Try using Laser's awesome Skin Management Tool - see here: Beta Skin Manager for Rise of Flight (beta03)

Alone, or used in conjunction with JSGME, this gives you an easy way to install or remove skins to get your install to have just what you want.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#52 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 31 July 2011 - 17:16

OK, so I guess the rule should be, if people really don't want you to use their skin, out of respect, do not use their skins. It is better to use the skins of players open to the idea, like me! :D I would love for people to use the NEWGUY skins and I am very open to the community doing so.

Please use NEWGUY skins any time you want and thank you for doing so. ;) I consider it an honor and I thank you for allowing me to put the NEWGUY skins on your hard drive, in the first place, because you don't have to and I am fortunate that you let me. I take up space and the very least I can do is share these beautiful skins, developed by guys like Splash and Bender. What is mine is yours. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#53 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 20:35

Any skin is a good skin if 777 pass it and the forum votes it.

Are these not here already in the form of the Historical Skins ?

I don't think personal skins slow the load, I would ask that as a separate question however if you could it would be good to know.

Voting seems not to work, the prove can be read in the declined skins section. Voters still do a judgement purely based on a picture or worser give a "Yes, "I like you" vote" :twisted:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#54 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:17

I was 5 minutes on Newbie server
:lol:

i like your black d7 skin. almost looks like my personal red one. they both have the stripe except mine is bright red and doesn't have the star behind the cockpit.

#55 FREDFREDBURGER

FREDFREDBURGER

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:19

kill him. if it is your skin, maybe go and talk to the team. i would be so PO'd if someone took my skins without asking.

#56 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:21

OK, so I guess the rule should be, if people really don't want you to use their skin, out of respect, do not use their skins. It is better to use the skins of players open to the idea, like me! :D I would love for people to use the NEWGUY skins and I am very open to the community doing so.

Couldn't someone use your skin and go on a teamkilling rampage? :0o: There has to be some regulation IMHO.

#57 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:40

I've only played MP a tiny bit during testing, but doesn't it tell you who is flying the plane? So even if somebody is using one of my skins to do something stupid like that, wouldn't it be easy to tell from the name/icon or whatever that it wasn't actually me flying the plane?

As a general matter, if I were flying in a particular MP server and someone in that server was using one of my skins while I was there, I probably would be a little miffed and would ask them to stop - I do think there should only be one of me flying around in the same server at the same time. I would think that the server operator could maybe boot the offending player from the server if they wouldn't respect that sort of a request.

However, if I'm not in a server/game (which will pretty much be all the time, since I don't play MP), I don't really care whether someone wants to use one of my skins or not. I would point out that at least for most plane types, I have both a personal version and a generic squadron version, so if someone really likes my skins and wants to use them, maybe they could just use the generic squadron version so it wouldn't look quite as much like they were jacking my personal ride :)

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#58 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:50

Couldn't someone use your skin and go on a teamkilling rampage? :0o: There has to be some regulation IMHO.

Well, I suppose someone could go on a team killing rampage, but then it is the pilot and not the skin, doing the killing. I personally like to use tons and tons of profiles. Now, what is to stop me from being a jerk, while I fly under a name like Aldis Pejorative, Chretien Dracul, Daalos Arasas or A Plane? ;)

There must be some sense of fair play online, I feel. It is important to not team kill or ruin fun for anyone else, in the other ways it is possible to do so. If someone will use a NEWGUY skin for ruining the fun of others, I suspect that they would ruin the fun for others even if I held the skin for my own exclusive use. It is better that the community can enjoy what I enjoy, if using a NEWGUY skin is what they wish, than to not share with the community, because bad guys want to make me look like a rotten weasel. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#59 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:01

I've only played MP a tiny bit during testing, but doesn't it tell you who is flying the plane? So even if somebody is using one of my skins to do something stupid like that, wouldn't it be easy to tell from the name/icon or whatever that it wasn't actually me flying the plane?

If icons are off (and they're off on most of the major servers), there's no effective way to tell who a teamkiller is unless it was caught on track.

If there is a small number of players in the server, you can sometimes find out by watching the scoreboard and the airfields. When you see someone land and then on the scoreboard his icon turns to landed, well, of course, that's who that is.

But on a large server such as Hellequins, if you're nowhere near an airfield, there's no way to tell who just teamkilled you unless you were recording. Kill messages don't come up for teamkills.

#60 hq_Peter_Zvan

hq_Peter_Zvan

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:03

Its easy to tell who was teamkilling with the Stats that Vaal made - every damage is logged and it says who caused it. We have banned people before after checking repeated TK - especially as gunners.

#61 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:16

You can always access our server stats at hellequins.net to find out, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Anyway, my skins and our squadron skins are used to identify our pilots and our squadron in the air. A lto of effort went into designing and making them. The community fictional skinpacks are made specifically for skins like that and if you don't want them on your harddrive, it's up to you to either not download the community fictional skinpacks, or remove the skins you don't want. Not up to us to just totally do away with our skins.

#62 MattM

MattM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:32

Interesting "issue".

I wouldn't want to fly around in somebody else personal skin. I would create my own skin instead. Or even ask the person who made that personal skin i like alot, if he could create a similar looking skin for me instead. Some people do that.

Anyway, regarding that friendly-fire problem, we do have stats for that. However, they are sometimes not 100% accurate. So just because they say that there was some friendly-fire incident, it doesn't guarentee that it really happened.

People who deliberately use other peoples personal skins for teamkilling run the risk of getting banned obviously. But so far i didn't notice that.

I don't think personal skins slow the load
No it doesn't. Besides that, if you don't want personal skins, don't download the fictional skinpacks. You don't get any personal skins, unless you decide to download and install them. And even then, you could delete them afterwards.

#63 Vertigo72

Vertigo72

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:19

I agree that it's quite lame to use someone else's skin. It's pretty damn obvious that these skins are someone's personal skin because the name tells you so. This person put effort into making the skin, or someone else put effort into making it for him: so that he can fly with his own colours and paintscheme, and others can recognise him.

If someone else uses such a skin in a multiplayer, I don't think that's very respectful of the effort that went into it.

On the other hand, it's not big enough a deal to make a fuss about.

Id just like to point out that as relative newbie to RoF, I had *no idea*. I grabbed some skin packs of the site as I didnt like having only or two choices, but how was I supposed to know some of those skins are considered personal?

I downloaded a few 'RoF Community Historical Skinspack's under the assumption they where just that: historical skins created by the community. Just like Ive downloaded a gazillion skins for IL2. I didnt know I just downloaded a few gig worth of textures only so I could see you (if Id ever meet you) the way you want me to see you - and only you!

#64 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:41

Id just like to point out that as relative newbie to RoF, I had *no idea*. I grabbed some skin packs of the site as I didnt like having only or two choices, but how was I supposed to know some of those skins are considered personal?

By the "Aircraft of Billybobjoe" title? But, no one's blaming you. The O.P. was about someone who was asked to stop and wouldn't.

I downloaded a few 'RoF Community Historical Skinspack's under the assumption they where just that: historical skins created by the community.

The historical skinpacks do not contain personal skins. Only the fictional skinpacks have personal skins, and not even all of those are. The ones with a Z in front of the name (I know, not the most intuitive system) are someone's.

I didnt know I just downloaded a few gig worth of textures only so I could see you (if Id ever meet you) the way you want me to see you - and only you!

Frankly, you want this. You need to know who is who. When I see Peter's paintjob, I go for him because if I go for the other Dr.I, I'm toast. Instantly. At least if I go for Peter first, I have something of a chance. But, if you want to delete my personal skins from your computer so that I show up as having the default skins, be my guest. All the better to kill you with, my dear.

#65 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:49

Yeah, there are no personal skinsi n the historical skinpack. This is only the case in the fictional skinpack. And there it's pretty obvious because, as has been mentioned, they're named 'Aircraft of hq Jorri' (in my case).

#66 Vertigo72

Vertigo72

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:07

Not to worry, when I said "I" and "you" I dont mean it personally, I dont even think I ever used a personal skin, I am just talking for the average new RoF pilot who like me, probably has no clue.

Thing is, I expected skinpacks to allow me to choose the skins in them, and assumed personal skins for anyone else would be downloaded automatically. I must have developed a bit il2 myopia over the last decade :).

I suppose RoF skins are too big to download like that, but it would be nice if RoF offered an alternative to the current system (which frankly, sucks). Password protected skins for the personal (or squad) skins or something like personal "decals", small enough to be downloaded on the fly. That would also ensure skins are at least semi historical.

Then again, I bet those things have already been debated for years and resulted in the compromise we have now…

#67 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:19

Skinny mate….don't worry, your unknowing actions are not your fault…, you seem like a nice guy who as soon as they knew or as soon as informed would say sorry and stop using immediately.

I have to admit I fell into exactly the same trap as you did when I first joined, I was told, said sorry and carried on with everybody happy…so a big NP mate, nobody has a problem with polite respectful players which it seems you are..come on into a server like the Trolls run, fun, good fights and great banter, you will be made welcome and not abused (too much :) )

#68 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:22

Well there is another reason I don't vote for or download fictional skins.

#69 Rexmundi

Rexmundi

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:47

Agreed, Wolf, here's a certain "no" vote for any proposed personal skins in future.

#70 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:59

An insight to your attitude towards others shows very well here I think, ….that's really sad but at least we all know just what we are dealing with

#71 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:04

God forbid people can fly their personal skins on-line, or recognise others by the skins they use :). Ludicrous!

#72 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:07

It's way better to pretend to be Manfred von Richthofen and only fly around in his skin isn't it? :)

#73 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:10

Yeah, what a crazy idea! Everybody should fly the same default skin, that would make flying online a real blast. "Hey, you! You in the SE5a! The green one…you know, the one with the roundels on it…" :lol:

And of course, everybody should play the game the way you want it, so if you don't like the idea of personal skins, they shouldn't use them either. (not downloading the pack would be ridiculously easy :P )

EDIT: what Imp said, and then get shot down in it every 2 minutes ;)

#74 MattM

MattM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:10

Agreed, Wolf, here's a certain "no" vote for any proposed personal skins in future.
Sounds like a waste of time.

How about not downloading the fictional skinpacks instead? Would safe traffic and time, so you can post here more often. Or actually fly online? If you do that.

This is exactly why i think that these polls are useless and a pretty bad idea. People vote no because of personal reasons or just to annoy other people. They don't vote about the skin itself, which is what these polls are supposed to be about.

#75 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 01 August 2011 - 16:07

Polled it…talk has been done, most aspects and options have been covered and repeated a number of times…Please read the thread then vote if you don't wish to perpetuate the repeating of similar points.
Post away if its new :)

SF

#76 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 August 2011 - 16:22

Tying them only to one person also has disadvantages, for example new squadron members won't be able to use skins of inactive members until they have their own.

I think we should leave it as it is, it is not too big of a problem and when you see an imposter on the enemy team you can hunt him down all the more vigorously, it only makes me more motivated to kill the person in question :)

#77 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:18

Hey, if skins come included with the game that I paid for… then no one can tell me that I can't use them. At least not in my country. :x

Come on… it's a compliment to the skin maker's skills if people want to fly a skin of theirs.
I'm surprised this is even being discussed with such ferocity. It must be time for a new update or plane or something to change the apparently boredom-spawned discussions of a select group on this forum.

Relax guys… it's just a game… and the next plane/update will be here "in two weeks". :lol:

#78 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:27

I worried about this for 2 seconds - then got a life. Who cares?

If anyone uses my skin then they have great taste and will probably get more kills in it than me! Seriously life is to short for 8 pages of this bollocks topic.

#79 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:30

At this point the poll seems to be backfiring with a 2 to 1 ratio for all to freely use anyone's personal skins. I suppose that since 95% of the players don't have personal skins it is a foregone conclusion.

Now, suppose this issue got a bit more incediary - what if the 95% decided to vote down skins that weren't for their benefit. Might be time to stop beating the horse before you kill it.

#80 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:31

Well, if real fighter pilots had thought like these inconsiderate gamers, then Richthofen's Flying Circus would have looked like Flyboys. [grin]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users