Photo
- - - - -

What to do when another player uses personal skin

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:30

See a certain player using my personal skin (Camel) on a MP server…

he refused to change….what to do? is this OK ?? what is the feeling on this ??

#2 Siegfried

Siegfried

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:34

That's the reason i painted a horrible purple bands :lol: and my nick on my skins…

We need user blocked personal skins…

#3 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:35

Err….call the taste police? :D

Sorry, just kiddin' ;)

#4 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:36

KILL THEM ALL! :x :D

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#5 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:06

I was 5 minutes on Newbie server
:lol:
Attached File  p2.jpg   122.19KB   890 downloadsAttached File  P1.jpg   358.64KB   890 downloads

#6 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:12

Feel flattered ;)

And then hunt them down 8-)

#7 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:33

Or don't go to the newbie server since you don't belong there? :)

#8 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:38

Or don't go to the newbie server since you don't belong there? :)
I was there to make the screens ;)

#9 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:39

Pretty much nobody on the newbie server belongs there, I think? I hope any new players will find their way to the new wings server.

#10 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:42

Putting your name on the side of your airplane will do little to help prevent others from flying your skins - since the pilot cannot see it from the cockpit.

…instead, make them STARE at your name, and it may deter some of them….

:lol: :x :lol:

Attached Files

#11 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:47

That's a great idea! :D

But you're not planning to snuff it this year, I hope? :0o:

#12 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:49

Be flattered by it and accept it considering you put your skin into the Community skin pack.

#13 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:51

lol….yeah Jorri….I realized that AFTER I submitted…

…might have to remake my skins every year

:lol:

Heh.

No worries. :D

( p.s. thats not birth and snuff dates…thats squadron affiliation dates)

#14 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:55

You are remarkably chatty for a dead fellow

#15 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:58

it says 2011….it's not 2012….maybe it means December 2011…

:P :x :P

#16 Dunkers

Dunkers

Posted 30 July 2011 - 18:19

See a certain player using my personal skin (Camel) on a MP server…

he refused to change….what to do? is this OK ?? what is the feeling on this ??

Errr.. forget about it? It's not good form on his part for not changing on request, but you put the skin into the downloadable packs for community use. There's no exclusivity with these things.
For my part I only download the historical packs, but then that's my preference.

:cheers:

#17 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 30 July 2011 - 20:13

|Yeh….F ing rude of him….also the biggest bomber-parker out there…got to me

Ill forget it…

One point however….are not personal skins and linking them to one player…("Personal Skin for the use of…." "Skin for the use of xyz….squad") not one of the best things about the game ? and as such should there be a bit more protection of such a service ?

#18 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 30 July 2011 - 20:26

It is your own fault, if you do not like that, do not publish it? Like other already mention here: be flattered!! :roll:
With all respect to you, I only like [semi-] historic skins and do not like all those clown skins, so you will never see me flying them! :D
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#19 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 30 July 2011 - 20:46

I ask this as an Open question then….

One point however….are not personal skins and linking them to one player…("Personal Skin for the use of…." "Skin for the use of xyz….squad") not one of the best things about the game ? and as such should there be a bit more protection of such a service ?

#20 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 30 July 2011 - 22:40

I see no reason to try to enforce this through a game mechanism. It is not a problem the majority of the time and if you are flying on a server with people that have a clue, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Regardless, I like WWBrian's suggestion! In fact, take it step further: put "I love WWBrian" or "WWBrian is a stud" or similar there. If they really like staring at that, then let them fly the skin (and stay far away from them!).

#21 Siegfried

Siegfried

Posted 30 July 2011 - 23:11

It is your own fault, if you do not like that, do not publish it? Like other already mention here: be flattered!! :roll:
With all respect to you, I only like [semi-] historic skins and do not like all those clown skins, so you will never see me flying them! :D

Clown skins??? Why? because dont you like? It was many historical skins that seems like "clown skins"… Why we must choose the historical skins??? they have a historical owner… :lol:

It's better choose a personal skin i think. More personal. Our skins have lots of work, are you disdain or scorn our work? Many personal skins are all plausible in historical terms…

Sorry for my english…

#22 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 30 July 2011 - 23:47

Well If I had a personal skin and somebody was using it, so what.
let em ! It just means they like it.

#23 MadTrooper

MadTrooper

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:01

Well If I had a personal skin and somebody was using it, so what.
let em ! It just means they like it.
:S!: A+

#24 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:40

Cool! :0o: Someone used my Camel skin! :D That is awesome. I absolutely approve the use of my skins and I am super happy about it. It is really nice that the commuunity will take the time to vote on these skins, that guys like Splash and Bender make these skins, that Panthercules wades through them all and why should I only get to enjoy the fruits of their hard work?

The NEWGUY skins are part of the community skins and belong to the community, as much as to me, IMHO. If you download it on your computer, you should be able to use it also. That is how I see it. :S!: MJ

p.s. Thank you Thor, for using the NEWGUY camel skin. It is a real honor to me! :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#25 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:57

Clown skins??? Why? because dont you like? It was many historical skins that seems like "clown skins"… Why we must choose the historical skins??? they have a historical owner… :lol:

It's better choose a personal skin i think. More personal. Our skins have lots of work, are you disdain or scorn our work? Many personal skins are all plausible in historical terms…

Sorry for my english…

First my definition, because I think you do not have any clue: this has nothing to do with historic or non-historic. A clown skin is a skin that is painted and "tattooed" with all kind of colours and signs. Colours that are not well chosen, to bright and put in without any taste. Yes, this could be personal, but some skins are so ugly even bad made, it is real torture. Thanks 777 for some little bit of a final judgement on that.

Laser made for all this, a special software tool, so I'm not alone.

About a personal skin, if you want this personal, than keep it personal. If you feel you should have a ego boost, you could always make a video. If you do not care and want to share, put in your download link and publish it.
:S!:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#26 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:59

Cool! :0o: Someone used my Camel skin! :D That is awesome. I absolutely approve the use of my skins and I am super happy about it. It is really nice that the commuunity will take the time to vote on these skins, that guys like Splash and Bender make these skins, that Panthercules wades through them all and why should I only get to enjoy the fruits of their hard work?

The NEWGUY skins are part of the community skins and belong to the community, as much as to me, IMHO. If you download it on your computer, you should be able to use it also. That is how I see it. :S!: MJ

p.s. Thank you Thor, for using the NEWGUY camel skin. It is a real honor to me! :S!: MJ

nothing to say on this, these are the right words!

#27 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:41

I was told by either a moderator or else a 777 employee (I don't remember which) that you are not to use someone else's personal skin.

So it is at the very least frowned upon.

If I see someone flying with someone else's personal skin, I notify him of this. I generally don't make too much of a fuss about it if the skin's owner isn't present, but if the event described in the O.P. had happened on my server, the perpetrator would have been banned.

#28 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:55

It really just boils down to the motive behind using the skin….

In single player - knock yourself out!!

This is why all skins should be submitted! No matter how "tasteful"!

In MP, when Icons are available, again no worries. It is known who is flying the skin.

This is what the OP spoke of and gave reference to.

But in MP, when you do not know who is in the aircraft, it is in poor taste to fly someone elses skin.

Primarily because your actions can be misinterpreted as those of the skin owner. Also, participating in a squad vs. squad match, it would be poor form to fly in the opposing squadron's skins.

There is a time and a place for everything, and good judgment combined with a little wisdom can go along way. Let us not forget how to use a little common sense.

S!

#29 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:05

Fair point on the icons…..still very rude, but fair point.

#30 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:11

Mimicry may be flattery, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. [grin]

#31 charlo

charlo

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:15

I'm kind of hoping it isn't poor taste or form to fly someone else's skin in MP, because I am a simple man, so I like flying my Camel with a "C" on the side - and Comet's IRFC skin has exactly that. So I usually fly with his skin when I fly the Camel in MP.

Since I started flying with Comet's Camel skin I've been told by other IRFC folk that Comet rarely flies ROF anymore (I think because he has a new child), and in MP chat I was never given the impression any of them minded that I fly with it.

I would, of course, immediately stop if I was asked to do so by Comet in particular (I've never communicated with him) or any of the IRFC members.

I figure in MP I'll just be the most courteous and pleasant chap I can be, especially when flying with someone else's skin, so that no one would have cause to think ill of the original person associated with that skin. I may not be a skilled pilot, but I strive to be a gracious one.

And a big :S!: to Comet, wherever he may be.

Charlo
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#32 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:20

I'm kind of hoping it isn't poor taste or form to fly someone else's skin in MP, because I am a simple man, so I like flying my Camel with a "C" on the side - and Comet's IRFC skin has exactly that. So I usually fly with his skin when I fly the Camel in MP.

Since I started flying with Comet's Camel skin I've been told by other IRFC folk that Comet rarely flies ROF anymore (I think because he has a new child), and in MP chat I was never given the impression any of them minded that I fly with it.

I would, of course, immediately stop if I was asked to do so by Comet in particular (I've never communicated with him) or any of the IRFC members.

I figure in MP I'll just be the most courteous and pleasant chap I can be, especially when flying with someone else's skin, so that no one would have cause to think ill of the original person associated with that skin. I may not be a skilled pilot, but I strive to be a gracious one.

And a big :S!: to Comet, wherever he may be.

Charlo

Oh, of the times Ive done battle with you I knew it was you.
I saw the big 'C' and just knew!
didnt think to look to see if it was someone else's.

me -
I try to pick a skin that is unique from the general skins.
my objective is to make it clear 'as to whom' they are dealing with !

:mrgreen:

#33 Siegfried

Siegfried

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:30

I dont wanted to say bad words Dutch2, i'm not english native speaker.

The case of my skins, some people said me about purple that it was bad taste, but purple paint exist in 1916, some german aces used that paint. (Stark, i can remember). I mean that not all people can judge the bad or good taste.

I dont speak about egos in the case of personal skins. Only identify the pilot at your side or against you. When we flight teams, i like to known who is the pilot at mi side. Its only tactical season, not ego. I like the red plane of Red Baron, but i'm not the Red Baron. This is my point.

Sorry for my poor english an misunderstood Dutch2.

#34 Rexmundi

Rexmundi

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:36

If it's in an authorised skin pack, and it appears in the hanger list on a mods off server, I'm going to use it if I like it (my current fix is a lovely British Airways skin for the SE5a).

If you don't want me to use it then get your precious skin off my computer and out of my game.

My game! I paid for it! I own your skin and I own you too!

#35 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:56

And the award for the most contrutive comment goes to….LOL

However, I wonder if you can comment on Skin names in the list starting with the words " Personal Skin for the use of XYZ"
My question being, ? is that not a rule or a guide being expressed by the Game makers as to who should use it?

As the OP, let me try to expand the thinking/comments here a bit as this thread is very interesting:

?? I also wonder IF the players log on (its auto) ? could/should be used ? to "activate" the skin, everybody else can only see it in-game but not use it….??

?? is there any point in making personal skins if any flyer can use them ?? why would anybody bother ?>? Does this damage the game if people just stop skinning

#36 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:51

ya shouldn't submit a skin if you wanna cry if ppl use it. like rex said if it's on my pc it's fair game. quit being crybabies about it…
D~

#37 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:57

…..you wanna cry…..crybabies

Please be constructive with your comments…nobody is crying..we are discussing the topic in a civil manner.

Cheers

#38 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:11

If a skin is up for download and is approved for Mods Off mode, then it's fair game IMO for anyone to use it. As has been said, if someone doesn't want their skin being used by others in whatever game mode that may be, then don't submit it for official approval.

#39 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:00

…..you wanna cry…..crybabies

Please be constructive with your comments…nobody is crying..we are discussing the topic in a civil manner.

Cheers
no this discussion is dumb. if you cry because someone is using your skin you need a life this is a game/sim not real life get over it.
D~

#40 Stickyfinger

Stickyfinger

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:17

No I don't.

Personally my interest is in if it is important to the uniqueness of the game and would it damage 777 sales model…which has "personal but approved skins" as a part of it's USP. This is a very interesting marketing question on its own.

So no, we are not all children and we do not all live in a simplistic little world , you might..I don't.

back to topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users