Photo
- - - - -

Two-Fer: No. 48 Sq B 1124, and Netherlands Br.410 RR250

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:01

RFC No. 48 Sq., B-1124, Captain JT Milne, 2Lt KE Tanner, 2Lt FL Smith, and 2Lt J Frost

Edit:: Upper wing roundels corrected with white outlines. Archive updated 7/16/2011.

Get it here

September 28, 1917 was B-1124's first action, with 2Lt Tanner downing one Albatros scout. The next day, 2Lts Smith and Frost, with engine trouble, ditched the aircraft in Zuidzande, Holland, where the aircraft was then inturned and ultimately purchased by the Netherlands government where it was redisignated BR.401.

Click here for a larger image, included in package

Click here for a larger image

Research Source(s)
Bristol_Fighter_[Windsock_Datafile_Special]_v.1 - Pages 9, 15

Bristol F2B F2, Luchtvaartafdeling Br.401 RR250

Edit:: Archive updated to include an over-paint of Brit markings (simulation via alpha channel) 7/17/2011

Get it here

Originally with RFC No. 48 Sq., B-1124 had been flown by two teams – Captain JT Milne & 2Lt KE Tanner, and 2Lt FL Smith & 2Lt J Frost. September 29, 1917, 2Lts Smith and Frost, with engine trouble on only its second combat mission, ditched B-1124 in Zuidzande, Holland, where the aircraft was then inturned and ultimately purchased by the Netherlands government where it was redesignated Br.401.

Click here for a larger image, included in package

The original fuselage bands and the B 1124 serial number where "doped out" and a white fighting cock silouet was added to each side below the gunner/Observer position. The British markings were over-painted with Holland-orange roundels to the top wing upper and lower surfaces, and the bottom wing lower surface. Orange was also applied over the british rudder flashing.

Click here for a larger image

Research Source(s)
Bristol_Fighter_[Windsock_Datafile_Special]_v.1 - Pages 9, 15

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:44

Nice 2-fer - especially love the Dutch paintscheme.

The 2 squadron marking stripes on the fuselage appear to be quite a bit wider than all of the other No. 48 Squadron Bristols I've seen profiles or photos for (and than the default No. 48 skin already in the game), but I do see how the profile drawings and the photo seem to show very wide bands having been over-painted by the Dutch, so I guess that's the best way to go here.

Given the time frame for this skin (late September 1917), however, I believe it's likely that there should be thin (1") white borders around the outside of the roundels on the top wing - IIRC, the border was added to these roundels around June/July 1917. Do you have any photos showing the top of this aircraft well enough to know for sure if this one didn't have the borders for some reason?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:56

Nice 2-fer - especially love the Dutch paintscheme.

Yep, the first with this decals, will download this for my son. :0o:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#4 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 16 July 2011 - 14:30

@ Panthercules

I've not seen any profiles or photos of the B1124 in its original uniform, as it was only in service with the RFC from Sep. 17 - 29 (having taken off on only two combat missions). Since it was factory new in mid-September, would it have arrived on station with the white roundel surround? Probably so. I'll splash a little more paint on her and resubmit in a few minutes.

Thanks for the heads-up!

#5 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 16 July 2011 - 14:40

Yes, I like them.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#6 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 16 July 2011 - 15:27

Upper wing roundels corrected with white outlines. Archive updated 7/16/2011.

#7 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:14

Did test the the Dutch plane inside the game.
One remark here: I do miss something here. The orange dots have been over painted on the British roundels, so you should see them a little bit through the orange paint. I know this because a Nieuport scout in a Dutch museum had the same, only then I could not determine if it were British or France roundels. :S!:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#8 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 17 July 2011 - 16:18

Hold a few moments… I can simulate that via the alpha channel…

#9 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 17 July 2011 - 16:35

Try it now. ;)

Attached Files

#10 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 July 2011 - 20:26

Ja en bedankt!!

= Yes and thanks!!
:S!:

#11 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:23

Very interesting addition! Looks very good now with the roundels shining through the orange.

Bedankt!

#12 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:29

Hi,

The squad marking stripes are too wide, the font used for the serial is incorrect and the top wing roundels should have a 1 inch white ring around them.

So I haven't voted for it yet.

#13 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 18 July 2011 - 15:58

hq_Reflected:

The Archive has the white rings (just didn't post an updated screenshot).
The banding width was traced directly from photographic evidence.
The font I ultimately selected I overlayed on the photo, and I didn't notice an appreciable difference. Though there were slight variances I assumed they were due to the "doping-out" that the dutch applied to remove the serial. I also thought it strange that the serial did not appear to have a hyphen between the "B" and the "1124," using a blank space instead. As I could not detect from the photo any evidence of the hyphen, I left it out of the finished work.

Thanks for your feedback!

#14 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:19

Yeah - maybe the hyphen thing was somehow related to the B-numbered series - the B 1162 one that I did also clearly did not have a hyphen in the serial number in the references I found for it. Although I think I've seen some pictures of other B-numbered ones that did use the hyphen - not sure if it was any sort of a standard thing or just something that happened randomly.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 22 July 2011 - 16:02

Who voted no, without explaining why?

#16 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 July 2011 - 18:44

I really like the Dutch one, the orange "dots" I guess look pretty cool :D

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#17 DennydD

DennydD

Posted 22 July 2011 - 19:17

Yes! Very nice skins! :S!:

DennydD out.

#18 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:41

Poll concluded; thread locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users