Photo
- - - - -

London bomber map

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Prangster

Prangster

Posted 15 June 2011 - 21:40

I was reading "The First Blitz" and "Green Balls" about the German and British strategic bombing campaigns and thought I'd take a look at what size map you would need to recreate them.

I was surprised that the map would only be around half the size of the current RoF Western Front map. It looks quite feasible assuming the game engine can be changed to include open sea and can handle the large number of building needed to reproduce London.

I have already created two mod maps for Il2 (Sakishima and Palembang) as well as the Mosquito so I have some experience and I would love to have a crack at producing this map for RoF. I hope now the campaign is out 777 will have the time to produce the tools and information to allow 3rd party maps and ground objects.

Prangster

SWsig.jpg

#2 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 June 2011 - 21:51

I deeply share your hope. It would be a great addition and would open up a whole league of new possibilities for ROF, as well as complete the current map which doesn't have enough Belgium on it.

#3 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 15 June 2011 - 21:54

+1 Short Sea-planes and Sopwith Baby.

And finally there'd be a point in the HP and Gotha and home defence skins and RNAS channel ports and the main RFC dept at St Omer.

Landing a Pup on the deck of HMS Furious for anyone?

#4 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 15 June 2011 - 21:55

It's much more than just a "London bomber map"! It could really offer whole new dimensions of play to RoF!

In addition to German bomber targets in SE England, your map also has the advantage of providing many historical targets for Allied bombers including submarine and Zeppelin bases on the Belgian coast at Ostend (Oostende), Bruges (Brugge) and Zeebrugge. And, of course, fighter bases on both sides to defend the targets.

As Jorri said, it also could include the currently unmapped portion of the front north of Lille and across Flanders.

And, yes, I would very much like to see a Short (seaplane) bomber in RoF, as T-C noted.

Might even include patrols for submarines!

I like the idea!

:S!:

HT

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 June 2011 - 22:05

Yeah, as well as opening the gates for a whole lot of new additions to the ROF world such as ships, seaplanes and submarines and zeppelins and whatnot, even without those it would have plenty of purpose and offer plenty of gameplay. It's not like the new map has to come with a plethora of other new features to allow us to enjoy it.

In other words, there's no reason not to add it :D

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 June 2011 - 23:12

And then people could finally have the hedge rows they so desperately desire.

#7 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 16 June 2011 - 00:07

And then people could finally have the hedge rows they so desperately desire.

And the Badgers…

(Errm! if you've any sense DON'T click on the URL. Seen at it's worst in fullscreen mode!!!!)

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/badgers/

#8 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 June 2011 - 13:04

DO I SEE Flanders too??

Go for it, please, I think the whole community will be behind you too. Any questions and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

#9 VBF-12_Sluggo

VBF-12_Sluggo

Posted 16 June 2011 - 14:07

I wanna fly a Zepplin!

#10 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 16 June 2011 - 20:49

S! would be a wonderful addition to ROF.It would definitely generate revenue with the possible plane additions.( sea planes ) And to have channel bombing missions would be outstanding.

#11 bluesideup

bluesideup

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:11

I concur with BH_Klaue. This English Channel addition would add enormous depth and fun to the game. I don't mean to add more work to the RoF crew but this would open a whole new dimension. I believe it would attract more players as well.

#12 =IRFC=Vasco

=IRFC=Vasco

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:30

Oh please! Long distance runs to London in Gothas at night would add a whole new dimension to this sim.

#13 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 June 2011 - 22:01

Yeah and with so much attention having gone to the night lighting effects in ROF (and I'm sure we won't be denied the addition of searchlights either), it would be a crime not to have a channel map :).

#14 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:44

S! Would enjoy flying Gothas at night ,and to see searchlights in the distance would be awesome.

#15 WW1EAF_Meako

WW1EAF_Meako

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:59

Great idea, but how many players would relish the idea of flying that far in a slow bomber and similarly any defending players would have very few targets to go for. I can see some gameplay issues arising.

#16 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:15

S! Really LOL i can name 10 active pilots that would be foaming out there mouth to do night raids on London,if we had the map.

#17 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:25

I'd also love the W.12.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Hansa-Brandenburg-W29.html

#18 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 17 June 2011 - 20:51

S! Jorri that would make a nice addition to our current plane set.

#19 loopy

loopy

Posted 17 June 2011 - 21:42

great idea, besides london you also get the coast, lots of different types of missions

#20 Cptn_Goodvibes

Cptn_Goodvibes

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:38

I like the Albatros W4 and the possibility that it's not too much of an ask of the developers, since it's based upon the Albatros D.II. (or maybe the D.I) Heres a link which also extends to other aircraft of the period.

http://www.wwiaviati...ral_powers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wwiaviati...om/float-planes … owers.html

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:24

It's more interesting to get two-seater floatplanes, since they are much more versatile.

#22 spitfirem

spitfirem

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:39

I liked your Sakishima map a lot in il2, made quite a few missions in it.
I hope this channel map will be made for rof.
8-)

#23 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:29

Prangster , for your first post you sure know how to make an impression :)

Welcome to Rise of Flight :D

You are going to have some difficulties with this type of map.

one major thing i can see is the water as it reaches the edge of the map , Rise Of Flight is not IL_2 were the sea would go on and on for-ever …
In ROF the end of the map is a texture that some called Stripe-land ,,,,maybe now it needs a new name :P , because after the last HUGE patch .19 it became constant fields texture with no stripes :) no one noticed but they did alot with-in one patch (amazing achievement).

I hope that makes sense, i can make a example photo if required.

#24 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 21 June 2011 - 13:35

I really hope this is possible. I for one would love to fly a Gotha Raid to London and back in the dark. Also I would happily bomb sub pens in Belgium. If anyone remembers B17 from Microprose, they can appreciate just how tense these raids can be. Simply navigating to the target is a major challenge.

#25 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:04

Great idea, but how many players would relish the idea of flying that far in a slow bomber and similarly any defending players would have very few targets to go for. I can see some gameplay issues arising.

I think you might be surprised.

I know lots of blokes that enjoy those kind of long slow missions with high-intensity culmination.

Gothas and Zepplins over England by Christmas!

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:09

And even if they don't, there are plenty of other missions to be had on a map like that. It doesn't even have to include the channel - the career mode could be vastly expanded by the extra terrain we get in Belgium.

And of course, we can simulate pilots chickening out and making a run to the Netherlands to spend the rest of the war in internation :D

#27 spitfirem

spitfirem

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:21

And of course, we can simulate pilots chickening out and making a run to the Netherlands to spend the rest of the war in internation :D

maybe you could land in my backyard in Terneuzen :D

#28 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:23

Probably :D

It would make for nice 'What If' mission.

For example, some Dutch entrepreneur is running a factory, just over the Dutch border, producing aero engines and selling them clandestine to the Germans (like the Swedish did :D).

The Belgians find out and are sent to bomb the factory, making it look like an accident, their supposed real target being a factory near Antwerp. The Germans find out, and intercept. And the clumsy LVA have to take off in their bold collection of interned planes to protect their neutrality :D.

#29 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 June 2011 - 13:05

Probably :D

It would make for nice 'What If' mission.

For example, some Dutch entrepreneur is running a factory, just over the Dutch border, producing aero engines and selling them clandestine to the Germans (like the Swedish did :D).

The Belgians find out and are sent to bomb the factory, making it look like an accident, their supposed real target being a factory near Antwerp. The Germans find out, and intercept. And the clumsy LVA have to take off in their bold collection of interned planes to protect their neutrality :D.

Maybe Mr. Fokker has found a way of getting proper materials for his planes. Would be an excellent sort of mission where the attackers must only be over Holland for a certain time before they get spotted and war is declared. And the Dutch planeset could have both German and Entente aircraft, an interesting situation I think.

#30 R_Suppards

R_Suppards

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:58

I'll join the clamour. Bought all the fighters but until this brilliant suggestion had not bought the bombers. If possible Jason, bring it on.

#31 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:03

S! Any progress? :S!:

#32 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:05

http://riseofflight.com/SharedResources/Blog/posts/version1020/9.htm
:lol: :S!:

#33 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:39

http://riseofflight.com/SharedResources/Blog/posts/version1020/9.htm
This sure looks nice but I don't think it has to do with London/Channel map, it can just be an update for water like rivers and lakes.

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#34 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:46

The other screenshots might be. But I've never seen any river or lake with such a sandy waterline and such heavy breakers/surf.

#35 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:50

The other screenshots might be. But I've never seen any river or lake with such a sandy waterline and such heavy breakers/surf.
Yeah, I should have payed more attention to that.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#36 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:59

I think that anyone with the skill and time should at least launch a trial balloon to Jason. With the Elephant pilot/gunner textures and Vander's map improvements we have seen that 777 will provide tools to SERIOUS 3rd parties. It's a HUGE undertaking. And for those familiar with DCS it's a helpful lesson to study what happened with the Nevada terrain announced years ago. (Hint: it was a 3rd party endeavor that eventually had to be taken over by ED, the developer, and is still at least months away).

#37 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 29 June 2011 - 22:12

Since St. Omar was such a significant staging point…wouldn't be a good idea to include it in this new map?

…perhaps go as far south as Arras?

Attached Files

#38 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 29 June 2011 - 22:17

Big RNAS Base at Dunkirk as well.

Big problem is that you have to really go as far west as you are going and then go down (South) to the bottom of the ROF map

Otherwise you're going to end up with a weird thing of either sea or land continuing where there was none.

#39 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 29 June 2011 - 23:56

How long did those gotha missions last?

#40 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:00

hq_Jorri, i think your right and in the future this type of map will be very very possible , and look great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users