Photo
- - - - -

Massive Graphic Problem

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 07 August 2009 - 19:29

I Use a EVGA GTX 280 Card and have the latest drivers, had the game for about a month and only problem so far is a black screen for a bit when I enter mission then it finally kicks in with the picture. Now I am getting this!:

Started today Happens about 20-30 min of flying. Video card temp is around 68-70 Deg C at this time. Card does not do this on other games I play atm like FSX and Il2. Can anyone please share any ideas what this is and what I can do about it please and thanks.

#2 non_unique_name_22

non_unique_name_22

Posted 07 August 2009 - 19:43

Check your memory!

Attached Files

#3 non_unique_name_22

non_unique_name_22

Posted 07 August 2009 - 19:48

No more 100% :!: If memory >100% I see these bug too 8-)

#4 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 07 August 2009 - 20:32

Memory usage is 60% so that is not a problem :| Any other suggestions would be awesome I use X4 AA X8 AF No Post Effects and full frame 1680 X 1050 Full Screen. If any one else is getting this please post so I can rule out that it is all to do with MY P.C. and Card

#5 hunter_0321

hunter_0321

Posted 07 August 2009 - 21:30

I'm using an EVA 260GTX with the latest drivers and am not getting this error. Wondering if enabling PhysX would contribute to the error?

#6 pirate17

pirate17

Posted 07 August 2009 - 22:50

I'm using an old GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB graphics card. It's OK for free flight / training. This I intend to change so the question is what to buy. I'm thinking of a GTX 260 600 MHz 896 MB - anyone use this :?:

#7 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:31

I'm using an EVA 260GTX with the latest drivers and am not getting this error. Wondering if enabling PhysX would contribute to the error?

Has Physx been causing problems with R.O.F? Will give it a try anyway.

#8 Buster2

Buster2

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:27

I have 2 x GTX 280 in SLI. I don't recall those kinds of errors, but I did have lots of CTDs in the beginning. I read the posts about PhysX and thought it was not a factor. Later, I happened to turn PhysX off, and have not had a problem since. In fact, turning off PhysX has improved stability in several other new games I was having trouble with (e.g., Far Cry 2). None of the games were stable in DX10 or, in some cases with SLI. Now, I make sure PhysX is off always.

I'll hazard a wild guess: I think PhysX (which I'm told is not used in RoF by the way) ONLY works if you have a video card dedicated for it. In other words, if you have 2 cards, you can't expect SLI AND PhysX to both be tasking one of the cards. If you have only 1 card, PhysX will just confuse it.

My speculations aside, I'm running 190.38 drivers, and my card tempts get up to 80C sometimes.

This is probably completely unrelated, but I HAVE seen those gliches in the ArmA Demo, which does not want to play correctly with 8G RAM (and on Vista 64 I think). Trick it into thinking you are running XP or 4G, and the demo is as happay as a lark.

Just leave PhysX off. It doesn't help in RoF and may even be contributing to the problem. Don't put too much weight to my suggestions. I'm alot better at breaking hardware than troubleshooting it.

Good luck.

#9 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:37

I have similar graphic glitches. No matter which settings i use or drivers i have installed. I have a top notch computer with a brand new GTX 295i have seen numerous posts about similar glitches, whereas the people reporting them had all kinds of systems. It's a game related issue. There is something fishy with the engine. Take a look at my thread here:

http://riseofflight....php?f=58&t=1704">viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1704

I have made some nice pictures too. Looks like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" WW1 style. Too much LSD :)

#10 musicman

musicman

Posted 08 August 2009 - 20:11

I have the same problem too once in awhile. Thought it was just me.
My game setting mem useage is only 40%
AMDx2 64 5200+
Two 9800gtx+ sli
4 gig dual channel ram

No matter what settings I use I still get those colorful graphics from time to time but not all the time. I force my card fans to run @ 80% and temps stay below 50c.
I'm lost on this too. What gives? My one thought could be not enough processer power but I see you guys have more than I do and are getting this error.

#11 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 08 August 2009 - 22:25

I also thought it miht be temperature related, so i activated smartdoctor, which controls the fans. My temp was around 60°C and that's pretty low for the 295. Not overclocked, running at default speeds and i still got these glitches.
I noticed that these errors always happen right after a short loading pause. As if the game tries to load textures to the video memory and fails.

#12 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 08 August 2009 - 22:29

Put a lot of fears to rest thanks for the link and posts gents.

#13 MikeYork

MikeYork

Posted 10 August 2009 - 19:50

It seems to me like your GPU's are over heating. Try to turn down the clock speeds. ATI HD cards especially have this problem.

#14 Goadlover

Goadlover

Posted 10 August 2009 - 20:46

I'm using an old GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB graphics card. It's OK for free flight / training. This I intend to change so the question is what to buy. I'm thinking of a GTX 260 600 MHz 896 MB - anyone use this :?:

I have the Asus manufactured ENGTX260 TOP 650 MHz 896 MB

I run Rise Of Flight at 1600 x 1200
All Quality settings are on High
Filter is currently set at X2

Post effects are all on.

Video memory usage is reported as 85%

Rise Of Flight runs like a dream.
No graphcs glitches at all for me.

#15 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:30

Have you tried lowering AA to x2?

#16 GenDoolittle

GenDoolittle

Posted 12 August 2009 - 00:20

Salute All!

If you turn PhysX off, then how do you get SLI? Isn't that the software for SLI? I am running 2 Nvidia 9800 GTs on a AMD Dual core Opteron 185 and an Asus SLI Mobo, with 4 gig of old DDR RAM. I increased my virtual memory to 10 gig from 4 as was suggested in another article and I haven't had the problem again! You guys may want to try increasing your virtual memory–go to start/control panel/system/advanced/performance/settings and change the settings to 2x the amount of RAM you have.That should do it. Let me know how it works??? Now if I could just increase my FPS in Multiplayer?????

Salute!

Doolittle, CO
US13th Aero Squadron
The Grim Reapers

#17 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:49

Mike, nothing overheats here! My temps are always in the green area, with or without smartdoctor. Even guys with old cards, where you don't have real high temps report these glitches.
I can fly OFF for hours with a shipload full of planes and a real ground war and such stuff and have abolutely no glitches. And i think with max settings, OFF put more stress on my card than RoF does. There are far more objects and stuff which has to be rendered. Compared to that, RoF terrain looks like an empty desert.

#18 Silverfox

Silverfox

Posted 13 August 2009 - 00:56

Same Graphics prob here aswell. Thought maybe temp was the culprit but don't think so at 52C, using 2X 8800GT's in SLI, thought maybe it was the over clocking (650,1000 and 1500) changed back to factory default (600,900 and 1500)…no change. Some times I can be flying for over an hour with no glitches then all of a sudden can't fly for 5 mins even after re-booting. Thought that maybe it was the OC of my Q6600 2.4GHZ CPU, had that OC's at 3.234GHZ. That is back to default (It helped in clearing up most of the lock-ups but nadda on the graphics). Will try disabling the Physx and see if that helps. Also, memory usage at 21% when starting the game. Frame rates in the mid 30's to mid 40's. Very seldom will drop below 30 FPS.

#19 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:31

Exactly my experience! I still believe it is a game related issue and has nothing to do with our computers. Simply too many people with too many different systems and the same issue. Neoqb has to fix that and i hope the next patch is going to erase some showstoppers like these glitches and the CTDs alot of people seem to get here.

#20 Silverfox

Silverfox

Posted 13 August 2009 - 18:33

I disabled Physx and still no change. Then after a couple of re-boots was able to play with no graphics issue just as before.

Attached Files

#21 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:26

Had to share these with the pile. I LOL when I saw the terrain smiling back at me! It looks like a huge R.O.F. terrain quilt!

#22 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:21

In general, textures not loading correctly can be a sign of incorrectly-installed graphics card drivers (application not finding the correct texture)

You can use Driver Cleaner Pro or the Driver Sweeper to clean out all the old drivers files, ini files that drivers can leave behind on updating

I would always do this right away (if your computer is not overheating) on seeing images like this. It can't do any harm famous last words, especially if you make a Restore Point first - and then you'll at least not be wondering all the time if your updated drivers did something bad when installing - usually the info in the temporary folders used when installing stuff get mixed up. Deleting contents of temporary folders before installing drivers can help

Ming

#23 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 24 August 2009 - 14:57

In general, textures not loading correctly can be a sign of incorrectly-installed graphics card drivers (application not finding the correct texture)

You can use Driver Cleaner Pro or the Driver Sweeper to clean out all the old drivers files, ini files that drivers can leave behind on updating

I would always do this right away (if your computer is not overheating) on seeing images like this. It can't do any harm famous last words, especially if you make a Restore Point first - and then you'll at least not be wondering all the time if your updated drivers did something bad when installing - usually the info in the temporary folders used when installing stuff get mixed up. Deleting contents of temporary folders before installing drivers can help

Ming

I use a CA optimization/sweeper/registry cleaner program. And always install latest drivers correctly. I have also ran R.O.F. on both my P.C's getting the same issue. That and the fact many others are showing similar pics here of rendering issues is not supporting a driver issue. I run several other games with both P.C's Il2, WW2OL, Galaxies and all run just the same as they have always have excluding there own hiccups of course ie: cornflakes in WW2OL. I always like to make sure as much as I can it is not an issue on my end before I decide to report it as an actual game issue. I run true temp and have not seen any problems on the overheating end.

I will try out one of those programs you suggested and see if it helps at all. Frankly I hope you are right and that it clears up these terrain slide shows! :)

#24 Sgt_Fixer

Sgt_Fixer

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:52

Jay; I'm right there with you on the graphics anomalies. Frustrating beyone belief. I personnally feel that there is some type of memory leakage occuring. It's been an issue with other games and simply overburdnes the memory to the point of corruption. I have an Intel E6850 running at 3.4 GHz (slightly overclocked) and 2 x 285 GTXs running at stock speeds. No overheating what so ever. Considering I have 1 GB of video RAM per card, RoF reports only using 24% memory at 1920 x 1200 and everything high except landscape (med).

This should not be happening and it needs to be corrected. Has anyone had luck with correspondence with the developers? When this game works, it's an absolute thrill. My partner and I have even refounded out little virutal Jasta in anticipation of the fun times ahead. But not if I have these graphics problems.

Oh, as a thought, have you tried ALT TABBING out then immediate back into the game to cure the problem? It does work for me 90% of the time. BUT this isn't an answer. Plus, it's rather hard to continue flying once looking at your desktop. It does take a few seconds to respond.

#25 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 25 August 2009 - 15:43

Oh, as a thought, have you tried ALT TABBING out then immediate back into the game to cure the problem? It does work for me 90% of the time.

Yah I do that to :) It works half the time but comes back again later in mission anyway! No dev response on this thread aside from chap (who was not a green tag when he posted on this, congrats on the promotion! ;) ) but I am sure there are more and maybe they got some lovin. One question who is the MOD for this section please, thanks.

#26 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 25 August 2009 - 18:20

There was an interesting thread at SimHQ about that issue, but one of these bitchin' mods deleted it. Jason wanted us to post that over here, although here are atleast 3 threads about that issue. I guess the devs don't state anything about this issue yet, as they probably don't know what's causing this.
I just hope we wont read any suggestions like "..your video card is overheating, or your videocard drivers are out of date." anymore from anybody. These guys definitly don't know what they are talking about. :)

Attached Files

#27 Sgt_Fixer

Sgt_Fixer

Posted 27 August 2009 - 00:32

I am very curious why the devs have not popped in to say that they're looking into this issue. It's apparent that there are numerous cases and it does make the sim unflyable in my opinion. I desparately want this sim to work correctly and I know that often is the case where patches/fixes are required post release due to the diversity of the hardware available. But I'm not running anything exotic. 2 MSI 285 GTXs and not overclocked. Heat is definitely not an issues as I've set my machine up for max cooling (air). Every other sim, game, program works just fine.

With the fact that ALT TAB does sometimes fix the problem, the issue seems to be related to a graphics refresh issue. Maybe I can search for some third party software that forces refresh more often. Thought also it might be related to my Dell LCD monitor but my Jasta 8 partner has a CRT monitor and has the same issue. A real head scratcher. ;)

#28 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:50

What has changed? Did you install new drivers of late?

This is a problem with your video Card if its artifacting

Run ATI TOOL http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=725">http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=725 To see if its your card. Does this happen in any other games?

If that doesnt work it may be the game, reinstall maybe some of the textures became corrupt.

#29 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 27 August 2009 - 14:16

Ming

I use a CA optimization/sweeper/registry cleaner program. And always install latest drivers correctly. I have also ran R.O.F. on both my P.C's different vid cards and drivers getting the same issue. That and the fact many others are showing similar pics here of rendering issues is not supporting a driver issue. I run several other games with both P.C's Il2, WW2OL, Galaxies and all run just the same as they have always have excluding there own hiccups of course ie: cornflakes in WW2OL. I always like to make sure as much as I can it is not an issue on my end before I decide to report it as an actual game issue. I run true temp and have not seen any problems on the overheating end.:)

What has changed? Did you install new drivers of late?
This is a problem with your video Card if its artifacting
Run ATI TOOL http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=725">http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=725 To see if its your card. Does this happen in any other games?
If that doesnt work it may be the game, reinstall maybe some of the textures became corrupt.

Do not get me wrong I appreciate the wise words but as of now it is recycled suggestions until we can get some more official feed back. If this winds up at the end to be on my side of the fence I will apologize but at this point after trying all that is presented by the playerbase in this thread I am just not convinced. I have played with my AA/all other settings, reverted to old drivers, swept drivers, reinstalled drivers, toggled Physx, changed video memory to low, med, high! I did it all. Not looking forward to trying to reinstall game but might give that a shot.

#30 Silverfox

Silverfox

Posted 27 August 2009 - 14:46

Ok, I e-mailed support with my system specs. Since I'm using 8800 GT 512MB in SLI they asked if I would remove one card and test it out. Well, I did not remove one card because of other issues that would come about if I did but I did DISABLE SLI and this DID clear up the graphics issue with my system. For the 1st time since I installed the game I can fly for hours now with out having graphic abnormalities. I do not know if everyone here having this issue is running in SLI or not but if your are you might want to give this a try.

#31 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 27 August 2009 - 15:45

Ok, I e-mailed support with my system specs. Since I'm using 8800 GT 512MB in SLI they asked if I would remove one card and test it out. Well, I did not remove one card because of other issues that would come about if I did but I did DISABLE SLI and this DID clear up the graphics issue with my system. For the 1st time since I installed the game I can fly for hours now with out having graphic abnormalities. I do not know if everyone here having this issue is running in SLI or not but if your are you might want to give this a try.

Did not work for me I have only a single card, settings were all correct in the N-Vid control panel for display set up. 5 minutes into flight today …

I have tried mailing tech support … I will try again.

#32 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 27 August 2009 - 17:06

I just hope that Neoqb is not suggesting you the same bullshit like reinstalling this and that and check your temps here and there. That would be really silly and would show us that they don't know how to fix that or aren't even aware of the fact that it really is a "bug" in their game. The anomalies we are getting here are really beyond compare. I have seen temp related artifacts in many games due to overclocking my videocard but they are completely different.
If the next (and hopefully soon to be released) patch doesn't fix that, i will dump RoF from my drive as it's really annoying and the game is no fun anymore. :/

#33 non_unique_name_22

non_unique_name_22

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:07

Aloha!

We don’t develop the program under any hardware, we develop it under platform DirectX. (Currently DX9.1).
The problem that caused by hardware (in your case it’s SLI configuration) directly caused by supporting DX9 by hardware drivers of your graphic card.
We suspect that support of DX10 and DX11 by SLI drivers is better, so in the nearest future we’re plan to make support of DX11 in our game.

:roll: :!: :idea: :arrow:

#34 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 28 August 2009 - 14:54

Aloha!

We don’t develop the program under any hardware, we develop it under platform DirectX. (Currently DX9.1).
The problem that caused by hardware (in your case it’s SLI configuration) directly caused by supporting DX9 by hardware drivers of your graphic card.
We suspect that support of DX10 and DX11 by SLI drivers is better, so in the nearest future we’re plan to make support of DX11 in our game.

What if you do not use a SLI config and have single display set in your Nvid settings would the drivers still cause issues like this? Also in my response to the Neoqb tech team my questions were answered with the following.

"We just send answer to Mr. Silverfox. We hope he`s informed you too."

Silverfox did you receive and new information from the Tech? If so could you please let me know thank you. Will p.m. you as well if you do not mind. :)

#35 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 28 August 2009 - 18:37

Great, so they messed up the way the game handles DX9 or what? I don't have a SLI card. GTX 295 is like one and beside that, using multidisplay setup is not SLI! It simply means that you are using two monitors, not 2 cards working in a SLI setup together. That is not the reason for the glitches. You can give it a try.
But most current cards have DX9 or DX 10.1 support. What if the game is going to support DX11 and our cards still mess up? My brand new GTX 295 is something the game doesn't really handle and there is nothing which will change that?
Maybe DX11 support means, that the engine is also backwards compatible and handles DX10.1 as well?

#36 Silverfox

Silverfox

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:00

Hey John, the reply I recived is what they just wrote word for word. What has me confused is they said "(Currently DX9.1)". So I do not know what operating system they are talking about. XP(What I use) is only 9.0c. And you are right in that you say you are using dual monitors and not SLI, I still have both cards in my system but not in SLI mode. You might want to try (For Sh*t's and giggles)just a single monitor setup to eliminate that as a possability.
Best of luck to you bud, I know that those Grapic glitches really takes the enjoyment out of this sim.

#37 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 29 August 2009 - 15:16

:) I have already checked that weeksago. Dual or single display mode doesn't change anything. I think they meant XP? Vista has DX10 by default, which the game doesn't seem to support as of now. SO maybe the DX thing really is backwards compatible. When they put DX 10 support into the game, maybe the glitches dissapear.
Anyway, i don't know why the hell they aren't working together with NVidia. They know what is causing this and it's a problem with the driver/game interaction. Other developers also work with these large brands to get a fully functioning driver support.
All Neoqb is saying is, that it's a driver thing….bang. Nothing about that they are going to fix it just that they are planning a DX10 support in the near future. And we all know what that means in Russia.

#38 Sgt_Fixer

Sgt_Fixer

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:39

The issue with Direct X is really confusing. DX10 is only avialable under Vista. XP only runs variants of 9. DX11 isn't even available that I'm aware. And I thought XP (with associated DX9) was the operating system of choice for this game. Had read that it didn't run smoothly under Vista. Every other game/sim that I have installed and run are operating extremely well. I have numerous flight and driving sims. Most recently ones are Black Shark and iRacing. No issues. With both my 285 GTXs, I'm able to set most features to full or max and enjoy a perfect picture and framerate at 1920 x 1200. Except RoF. It is gorgeous when not gawked up and it is fun to fly but the random grapics blunders are difficult to swallow.

I have tried disabling SLI and PhysX as well. I do not intend to remove a card however. I sort of like running my other games in SLI still. Can't see how eHancer or RivaTuner will make any difference. I use the nTune performance add on to the nVidia control panel. No overclocking and my videocards are super cooled MSI models. Tried chaning graphics properties via the in game settings as well as nVidia control panel. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Frustrating to say the least. :cry:

#39 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:40

Vista and Win7 has support for higher DirectX versions, but they are backward compatible with DirectX 9. It does not mean that you don't have to care about DirectX9 on these OSes just because they include higher versions of API. If game is based on DirectX9, then it needs libraries from DirectX9. Even on Vista or Win7.
New versions of DirectX libraries are released every 2-4 months and you have to update them yourself (Windows update does not do that). You can do that here: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en">http://www.microsoft.../downloads/deta … laylang=en .

You are taking wrong approach with this problem. The problem is not localized. I looked quickly through the thread and noticed that some people have problems with the same GPU and some does not even with SLI. This is important as it shows that game does nothing fancy what is not supported by this GPU. So the problem may be the hardware related: overclocking (even if you have not done this yourself, you may have bought "super" edition which is, technically speaking, just factory overclocked card), too weak or defective PSU, incompatibility with motherboard (especially with SLI), overheating; or software related: drivers, DirectX version.

So, the information is needed from people who have problems and from people who have no problems, but have
the same GPU. The information should include detailed hardware specs (especially detailed model number of video card, not just "EVGA GTX280" or something like this) and versions of OS, video drivers (and their settings).

#40 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:06

My GTX295 is no "super edition". It runs at Nvidia default specs. I don't have a SLI setup, so the reported SLI issue doesn't go for me. Alot of people clearly stated, that they don't overclock their computers, but get these glitches nonetheless. So it has nothing to do with overclocking and/or temps, which correlate with that.
I think they should work hand in hand with NVidia to get that fixed. I have somehow lost the faith in the devs and that they could "fix" that.
I am almost sure that the latest patch made things even worse. Something in the patch directly influenced the DX problem. If they can make it worse, they can also make it better…or not? :)
But they don't seem to have a clue.
Anyway, there are enough other games to get fun out of and life is too short to stick to this issue with RoF while going nuts. No fix in sight..time to move on. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users