Photo
- - - - -

Wallenberg's Fok.D.VII in Jasta 2 colours

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 24 May 2011 - 14:32

This is my Fokker D.VII skin, (very) loosely based on Ltn Otto Löffler's flown with Jasta 2.

The lozenge is from Fubar, I cut it together to fit all the surfaces of the plane. The streaky camo and the big Balkenkreuze markings are self-made.

Gamefront download link for .dds package

Attached File  FD7_Screen1.jpg   65.51KB   532 downloads
Attached File  FD7_Screen2.jpg   107.8KB   532 downloads

#2 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 24 May 2011 - 15:59

My D.VII(F) in comparison

#3 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:24

Shamelessly bumped.

#4 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:34

Yes, of course to both skins. One of these days I'm going to have to figure out how to skin.

How long did this one take to make?

#5 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:39

The base template (working for me both for D.VII and D.VII(F) tookme some 4-5 hours. This includes cutting out every piece of the base template (canvas of upper/lower/control/fuselage surfaces, metal surfaces) into single layers, doing from scratch the rib tape/rib tape shadows/rib tape wear layers and the unit markings.
Putting in the lozenge gets down to a 15-20 minute job (only) then. This is a thing I learned from J2_Adam, to extract everything, even if you don't think you want to change it, into a single layer, some things work out really at the flip of a switch when you want to add/alter something.

EDIT: Thanks, of course!

For things as rib tapes and canvas surfaces, I create layers carrying the needed shapes in bright colours (to remind me of making them invisible before merging them into a bitmap). Having those shapes (and using multiple of those by Boolean selecting operations) makes, funny enough, the things that look the hardest to achieve actually the quickest and easiest.
The first 3-4 hours of editing starting from the downloadable template don't have anything to do with personal/historic looks, only the "technical" stuff to prepare customization which then takes considerably less time.

#6 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 May 2011 - 19:22

Nice graphic, Wally with the "W" and arrow.

#7 PikAs53

PikAs53

Posted 25 May 2011 - 20:13

As usual perfect work!

#8 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:58

The base template (working for me both for D.VII and D.VII(F) tookme some 4-5 hours. This includes cutting out every piece of the base template (canvas of upper/lower/control/fuselage surfaces, metal surfaces) into single layers, doing from scratch the rib tape/rib tape shadows/rib tape wear layers and the unit markings.
Putting in the lozenge gets down to a 15-20 minute job (only) then. This is a thing I learned from J2_Adam, to extract everything, even if you don't think you want to change it, into a single layer, some things work out really at the flip of a switch when you want to add/alter something.

EDIT: Thanks, of course!

For things as rib tapes and canvas surfaces, I create layers carrying the needed shapes in bright colours (to remind me of making them invisible before merging them into a bitmap). Having those shapes (and using multiple of those by Boolean selecting operations) makes, funny enough, the things that look the hardest to achieve actually the quickest and easiest.
The first 3-4 hours of editing starting from the downloadable template don't have anything to do with personal/historic looks, only the "technical" stuff to prepare customization which then takes considerably less time.

Sounds like hard work! I found your Tutorial and will check that out.

So, once you have cut out the template layers can you use that for other skins? I assume you only need to do it once per plane.. maybe 777 could share some layered templates like that?

Wish me luck :S!:

#9 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:40

Sounds like hard work! I found your Tutorial and will check that out.

So, once you have cut out the template layers can you use that for other skins? I assume you only need to do it once per plane.. maybe 777 could share some layered templates like that?

Wish me luck :S!:

If it was hard work, I'd abstain from it ;) Sometimes it can be, especially manually cutting all the pieces apart.

Yes, such a template is easy meat after you did the technical stuff. For example, I could do a new wood retexture on the D.II now every 15 minutes, since I got some template layers of all the wood panels, so that I just need to paste a new texture and cut it together.

It's not even hard: Just every step you do, keep in mind that you want to have this step repeatable/deletable.

EDIT:
Good luck!

#10 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:39

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users