Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Best Joystick for RoF - doesn't have to be the cheapest!!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 catchov

catchov

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:34

[shrug]

#82 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:16

To summarise for people searching for joystick recos:
Warthog + Simpeds if you have the money and don't care about FFB
G940 for middle budget or if you love FFB
Microsoft FFB2 if you are lower budget or don't want rudder pedals (twist stick). FFB2 is still a good stick.

CH or X52 pro with magnet mod also work. But I think the best thing about CH is their software.. the stick was ok but I preferred others.

#83 BigMorgan

BigMorgan

Posted 18 May 2011 - 20:32

I just got a T16000M for $30 and could not be happier. It's easily the best joystick I've ever owned. I can't compare it to much, but I would recommend it over any other "budget" stick.

#84 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 19 May 2011 - 00:22

LukeFF,

You are being presumptious. For whatever reason, Oliver Lehman (SimPed Reseller) notified me that PayPal was not working for USA purchases and suggested that I could still use a bank draft for the SimPeds. Whether this was a temporary problem that has since been fixed is irrelevant. I doubt he would have declined my attempt to purchase through PayPal if it were working properly at the time.

It appears that my timing was poor (PayPal problems at Seller's Point), my bank was ignorant (Sending Euros after having specified US Dollars) and now, LukeFF, you are accusing me of being clueless. This experience just seems to be getting better every day.

So why didn't you just come forward and share your experience here in the first place? I don't doubt that people such as you have had issues ordering Simpeds, wherever in the world they may be. When Josh came forward with this here-say about "my friend said this, and my friend said that about Simpeds," then that's of course is going to cause issues. Every opinion, especially on something like this, needs to be taken into context.

Josh's opinion on the Simped ordering process, as presented here, is based on one person's experience - yours and yours alone. Hence why I replied like I did and shared my own experience. Much like I shared my counterpoint about my experience with CH controllers - I wanted to provide a counterpoint to what he wrote.

#85 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 19 May 2011 - 00:26

[I was trying to prevent someone else from going through the crazy crap that Razor went through. Since pretty much most everyone here is an [insert term here], it looks like I was wasting my time.
Josh, you have to expect that people are going to present opinions that are contrary to yours. It's life, deal with it.

#86 Toadvine

Toadvine

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:32

My MSffb2 arrived today. Of course I went about hooking it up and trying it out. My current stick is the T16000M. I really think the T16000 has more responsive and accurate controls. The ffb2 is a little bit loosey goosey by comparison. Thrustmaster touts their new Exclusive precision technology: H.E.A.R.T.– HALLEFFECT ACCURATE TECHNOLOGY™ ! as something revolutionary in stick construction. I tend to agree, the smoothness, responsiveness, and accuracy of this stick is unmatched by any other joystick I have tried, which includes Logitech, Saitek, and Microsoft.

In addition the stick is super simple to set up and get flying. No instillation software at all, just plug in the USB cord into a USB slot on your computer and that is it. Since there is no force feedback there is not even a power cord to plug in. If you are cramped for desk space the T16000 has a smaller foot print than the FFB2, which is actually quite large. The only thing you need to do is program the buttons if you don't like the default arrangement.

The MS stick is a used item, so that may come into play when I say the stick felt slack or has slight dead spots, or is a little slow to respond. But it looks in great shape, even came with the box, instruction booklet, and instillation disc. And besides all the ffb2's are used.

I think it is the HEART technology in the T16000 that is the real difference. It is a totally different tracking system than any other joystick out there. Whatever technology they are using it makes for excellent responsiveness; absolutely smooth and precise.

Of course I am considering standard joysticks only. Nothing along the line of HOTAS and pedal set ups. I have never given those advanced systems a go, so I know nothing about any of them.

My recommendation would be the T16000 for someone just getting into Rise of Flight and are looking for a very good joystick to get started with . Unless you MUST have force feed back, which is the only thing this stick lacks. But in my opinion the excellent performance of the stick out weighs the force feedback consideration.

#87 hq_Honeymonster

hq_Honeymonster

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:13

There are no dead spots in my MSFFB2 and with Vista or 7 no software is required. Maybe check this on the windows calibrator and in your in game joystick settings? The hall sensor technology is good and the best thing about the T.16000. However I am yet to see proof that when operated with a human hand on a short stick like the ones you are describing the accuracy of a hall sensor will outshine a good quality potentiometer. The real advantage of the hall sensor is that there are no moving parts to wear. Unfortunately since the rest of the stick is cheap plastic (like most) wear in the gimble mechanism will have the same effect.
As for the size, yes it's a big heavy beast because it contains the PSU for the force feedback. On plus side this stops it sliding around the desk without resorting to the steel weights they have used in the T.16000.

Once again I think joysticks come down to the users preference I have both. The MSFFB2 does it for me the T16000 clearly does it for you.

#88 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:18

There are no dead spots in my MSFFB2 and with Vista or 7 no software is required. Maybe check this on the windows calibrator and in your in game joystick settings? The hall sensor technology is good and the best thing about the T.16000. However I am yet to see proof that when operated with a human hand on a short stick like the ones you are describing the accuracy of a hall sensor will outshine a good quality potentiometer. The real advantage of the hall sensor is that there are no moving parts to wear. Unfortunately since the rest of the stick is cheap plastic (like most) wear in the gimble mechanism will have the same effect.
As for the size, yes it's a big heavy beast because it contains the PSU for the force feedback. On plus side this stops it sliding around the desk without resorting to the steel weights they have used in the T.16000.

Once again I think joysticks come down to the users preference I have both. The MSFFB2 does it for me the T16000 clearly does it for you.

Same experience with my FFB2 - I don't have a T160000000 though.

#89 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 21 May 2011 - 15:26

Once again I think joysticks come down to the users preference I have both.

When it comes down to a choice between the CH Combat Stick, the Microsoft Force Feedback, and the Thrustmaster, I think it's fair to say that it mostly comes down to preference. But there are some other joysticks which are truly horrible, and with such a stick, it doesn't matter how much someone prefers it, he isn't going to be as good with it as he would be with a decent stick.

#90 No48_Runner

No48_Runner

Posted 21 May 2011 - 19:25

I've got a Logitech Force 3d Pro and until reading this thread I was wondering if it was just that mine was broken. I now understand that the poor centering (1/4 - 1/2" gap) is just part of the product. In every other aspect its great. In FSX and CombatSim3 it is serviceable and in DCS A10 the job gets done. Even though it might be fine elsewhere, trying to aim in ROF is nearly impossible and definitely haphazard.

Personal preference is a big part as you have all stated: my son loves it.

Guess I'll have to get a G940 and let him have the Logitech ;)

#91 R_Suppards

R_Suppards

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:46

Please, if you have not already purchased the G940 -in a word– don't!!
I purchased mine a year ago and the first one lasted three months. The second died a few months later Both times it was the rotary R1 switch which is known to be a real problem. My third unit lasted lasted until the end of April this year and I again returned it. Only now have I received a reply to obtain a full refund. Have been without the unit for around five weeks.

I have read this thread with interest and am weighing up my options for a replacement system with rudders.

#92 Hun-ter

Hun-ter

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:20

First Post,

I am looking at starting to play ROF. I'm looking at a Thrustmaster T-16000M, since history teachers don't make much money it seems to be the best bet. My questions (first time I've ever played a flight simulator). Will I need an additional stick to control my thrust or can that be programed on the Thrustmaster T-16000M? Thanks for any help.

#93 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:30

First Post,

I am looking at starting to play ROF. I'm looking at a Thrustmaster T-16000M, since history teachers don't make much money it seems to be the best bet. My questions (first time I've ever played a flight simulator). Will I need an additional stick to control my thrust or can that be programed on the Thrustmaster T-16000M? Thanks for any help.

Having a look on google images i see that this stick has a slider in the front. This will be used for throttle. A lot of sim flyers use a separate throttle device, "hands on throttle and stick" - or HOTAS. It feels good to control the planes surfaces with one hand, and the thrustr wit hthe others, because you use them together to manoeuvre well. However, the stick you are looking at will do fine in the thrust department

Later on, or now, you could look at a second hand MSSWFF2 MSSWFF2 images

Excellent force feedback feel , no longer in production.

#94 catchov

catchov

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:54

Having recently acquired the MSFFB2, I have to say it's bloomin' marvellous! 8-)

#95 Jokili

Jokili

Posted 26 April 2012 - 20:05

I get the G940 a week ago- My first impress is very good. It feels good in hand, the FFB is like my old Sidewinder. Paddles and throttle works well.
I hope it will life so long as my last joystick- a Thrustmaster Afterburner…

#96 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 26 April 2012 - 20:35

G940 joy+throttle plus saitek pro flight rudder is nice and precise.

#97 Hun-ter

Hun-ter

Posted 28 April 2012 - 16:58

Having trouble tracking down a T-16000M. I have found a local store with a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick. Is this comparable to the 16000M? I could go online and get the 16000M but I'd have to hold off on playing till Tuesday! So does anyone know if the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick is a good stick?

#98 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:31

Hello Hun-ter, where are you located? Maybe someone close to you might know a solution on where to get the T16000m.

I'm not too familiar with the HOTAS X, but it's a completely different joystick and I bet it's lacking some of the technical features that the T60000m has (like the HAL sensors for extra precision). My advice is to wait a bit until you know for sure, rather than find out later that it was a bad choice!

#99 Hun-ter

Hun-ter

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:35

Located outside of KC Missouri. There's a store locally that has the Hotus and supposedly the T.160000m. I'm going trek up there today but if not I'll probably go through amazon or something and get the T.160000m if it's the clearly superior stick.

Thanks hq_Jorri. Guess I might just have to go the National WWI museum downtown to hold me over a few more days.

#100 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:19

Having trouble tracking down a T-16000M. I have found a local store with a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick. Is this comparable to the 16000M? I could go online and get the 16000M but I'd have to hold off on playing till Tuesday! So does anyone know if the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick is a good stick?

I had a virtual flight student with that one, and it held him back. I recommended that he get the T-16000M. He improved a lot after he got it. So, no, I don't recommend the T.Flight Hotax X. To the best of my knowledge, it's considerably less precise than the T-16000M.

#101 Hun-ter

Hun-ter

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:13

Took an hour drive but I got my hands on a T-160000m. Trying to work my way through the training missions, man it is tough (this is my first flight simulator game). After I complete the 6 training missions should I start a career? And if so when is the best time to start with spad? (this might be a conversation that had transgressed to another sub-section)

#102 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 30 April 2012 - 14:35

It's realy up to you when you start with the Career. You may find the trainig Campaign frustrating at first,the one where you have to shoot down 3 planes is very tough if you're new. I skipped the Training mission after many tries to get the Planes down and practised in the quick missions instead. It really helped me with aiming and shooting aswell as learning the Plane of choice. You should have a look on Requiems Tutorial Videos about energy fighting to get an Idea how combat with a Spad13 works best. With it you most likely loose your fights if you try to Turn with the opponent(s).

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#103 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 April 2012 - 14:39

Took an hour drive but I got my hands on a T-160000m. Trying to work my way through the training missions, man it is tough (this is my first flight simulator game). After I complete the 6 training missions should I start a career? And if so when is the best time to start with spad? (this might be a conversation that had transgressed to another sub-section)

I hope the stick works out for you! I certainly liked it when I still used it.

The training missions are good, but even better practice might be to go into the quick mission generator, and just set up a flight yourself.

Set the plane to start at ground level (parked on the field), and set the number of allies and enemies to zero, and you have a free playground.

The SPAD is a bit of a handful: it has bad visibility, it takes practice to fight with (being an energy fighter rather than a turn fighter), and it throws you in the deep end with engine management.

The best plane for practice and learning, has to be the Albatros D.Va - the second plane that comes for free with the free edition. It's easy to fly, a good all-rounder and it doesn't need you to manage the fuel/air mixture while flying (like the SPAD). Don't forget to open your radiator, though!

Likewise, if you start a career, the German planes are the best for starters - but of course if you prefer one of the more difficult planes, don't let anything hold you back!

#104 VonSensburg

VonSensburg

Posted 30 April 2012 - 23:02

+ 1 for T-16000m. First I had cheap Saitek and I was wondering why I was so bad in shooting, than I bought T-16000m and it was like a different game for me. It's very precise and sturdy and overall well made. I highly recomend it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users