Photo
- - - - -

ROF MOVIE: SE5a and Pfalz DXIIf

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:02

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#2 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:15

As I wrote on SimHQ about this film:

Very beautiful, Newguy! This is one of the best simulator movies I've seen. Made all the hairs on my arms stand up. This short is right up there with the likes of "Unleash Hell," "Superior Fighters," "Dear Connie," and "Bellum." You ought to start giving your good films proper titles.

I think that this video ought to be one of the official trailers for the sim. If I didn't have the sim, this would have probably convinced me to get it, just like "Maximum G" compelled me to go buy Lock On: Modern Air Combat. Never underestimate the ability of a movie to cause someone to buy and fall in love with a sim!

Ten out of ten, Newguy. Literally my only negative criticism would be the aliasing, which can't be helped. I hope that when 1.019 comes out with the supersampling option, you can utilize it in your wonderful movies. Unfortunately, my computer won't be able to handle that option. I'm rooting for yours to be able to.

: )

#3 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:29

You've called it the "D.XIIf" several times now – at first I thought it was just a slip. It's not an "f" – the "f" on D.VIIf stands for Fokker. Clearly, that doesn't apply to a Pfalz ;)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#4 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 25 April 2011 - 22:09

Exciting video but your SE tactics still need some work:

'Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath' – Edward "Mick" Mannock

A job? Say it ain't so…. ;)

#5 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 25 April 2011 - 23:20

You've called it the "D.XIIf" several times now – at first I thought it was just a slip. It's not an "f" – the "f" on D.VIIf stands for Fokker. Clearly, that doesn't apply to a Pfalz ;)

The "F" has nothing to do with Fokker:

I think they never officially called it the D.XIIF (hence the brackets) but it was common practice to add the first letter of the designer that made the engine [to the plane designation] if it differed from the default one. The name of the engineer who designed the BMW D.IIIa was Max Friz. The creator of the Conrad C.III engine used in the DFW C.Vc was Robert Conrad. The Hannover Cl.IIIa was powered by an Argus As III engine but I don't know the name of the engineer, I guess Argus :) Roland D.IIa was powered by an Argus As II engine.
Re: best overall german plane

Roland D.VIb was powered by a Benz Bz.IIIa.

What I find a bit odd now is that the "F" is upper case on the D.VII but lower case with the other planes. Perhaps it was supposed to be D.VIIf but Fokker did put D.VIIF on his fuselages so the upper case stuck I guess.

Some more trivia: the roman numeral on the engines denoted their weight "class". The "III" was typically used on fighters and light two-seaters (Cl class), the IV was usually used with bigger planes such as the DFW or the Gotha.

#6 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 26 April 2011 - 00:28

The OAW-produced D.VII's were designated "D.VII (O.A.W)," and the Albatros-produced D.VII's were designated "D.VII (Alb)."

http://memorial.flig...kkerDVIIuk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://memorial.flig...kkerDVIIuk.html

Pretty sure the Fokker-produced ones were designated "F" for Fokker, and they received the BMW motor because Fokker was a very competitive business man and wanted to ensure that his planes were the most desirable.

Also, putting your own words in a quote tag doesn't suddenly make you a source ;)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#7 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 April 2011 - 00:40

That link does not prove your theory and it is easy to disprove.

The plane was already called Fokker D.VII, there was no need to label it further. See above, suffixed letters indicated an engine different from the original engine. Instead of just posting a link to my post I thought I should quote it to make it easier for you and you still did not read it. I guess you won't read this post either but maybe somebody else will find it interesting.

Just to easily disprove your theory: were Albatros D.II, D.III or D.Va built by Albatros called D.IIA, D.IIIA or D.VaA? Were DFW C.V built by DFW called C.VD? No. An (additional) manufacturer suffix was only added if the manufacturer differed from the default one, and (afaik) it was always abbreviated with two or three letters, for example (Av.), (OAW), (Alb.), (LVG).

Aircraft that were build by Fokker under licence received the suffix (Fok.), as in "AEG C.IV (Fok.)".

#8 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 26 April 2011 - 00:45

Uhm, okay, I still disagree, and I did read your post(s) :?

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#9 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:47

As I wrote on SimHQ about this film:

Very beautiful, Newguy! This is one of the best simulator movies I've seen. Made all the hairs on my arms stand up. This short is right up there with the likes of "Unleash Hell," "Superior Fighters," "Dear Connie," and "Bellum." You ought to start giving your good films proper titles.

I think that this video ought to be one of the official trailers for the sim. If I didn't have the sim, this would have probably convinced me to get it, just like "Maximum G" compelled me to go buy Lock On: Modern Air Combat. Never underestimate the ability of a movie to cause someone to buy and fall in love with a sim!

Ten out of ten, Newguy. Literally my only negative criticism would be the aliasing, which can't be helped. I hope that when 1.019 comes out with the supersampling option, you can utilize it in your wonderful movies. Unfortunately, my computer won't be able to handle that option. I'm rooting for yours to be able to.

: )

Thanks a lot Josh. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I don't know if my computer could handle the supersampling, but I am going to put some anti- aliasing in the next time! S!

#10 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:04

Exciting video but your SE tactics still need some work:

'Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath' – Edward "Mick" Mannock

A job? Say it ain't so…. ;)

Yeah, I saw this Pfalz, way up high, when I left the aerodrome. She was on her way to our rear aerodrome. Well, I thought I could sneak up on her, but her pilot was on to my game and started to dive in on me. Fortunately, for me, the SE5a is still pretty maneuverable with full fuel and I kind of lucked out on my aim. ;)

#11 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:12

Yeah, I don't know if my computer could handle the supersampling, but I am going to put some anti- aliasing in the next time!

Dunno if it'll do any good : (
My R.o.F. has heavy aliasing no matter what settings I run it at. Mostly shimmer, but not just that. I'm not sure what the solution is, but for those who have a supercomputer, hopefully the supersampling will be the Christ. Maybe someday I'll have a better computer so that I can try it. For now, I've tried fiddling with anti-aliasing so many different ways and none of it seems to work.

#12 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:08

Uhm, okay, I still disagree, and I did read your post(s) :?

Hmm, not sure why you would still disagree but alright then ;)

There is a few good reasons that Pfalz did not add the "F" to their name. Domestically, all German states remained sovereign, with local goverments, taxes and so on, and of course local pride. Pfalz was not situated in the Kingdom of Prussia but the Kingdom of Bavaria, the second most important state in Germany, so Idflieg did not have as much control over them. Pfalz aircraft (afaik) were often produced and sent to (Bavarian) fighter units before Idflieg had conducted a Typenprüfung, I believe the Pfalz D.III even served with non-Bavarian units before it was officially accepted as a fighter by the Idflieg.

Either way, Bavarian pride very likely played a role in their aviation industry and BMW being Bavarian as well I am sure they received special treatment in the form of some BMW engines to support the friendly neighbour. The D.XII also went primarily to Bavarian fighter units as well.

Albatros and Fokker were situated in Berlin-Johannisthal, Brandenburg, Prussia, OAW In Schneidemühl, Posen, Prussia.
Gotha and Halberstadt were not situated in Prussia but in other German states where Prussia had more influence, besides they did not play any role in fighter production whatsoever.
To supply Bavarian Schlastas BFW was producing the Cl.II under licence so again Bavaria had their own supplies. Of course they still received "Prussian" planes but they had their own supplies as well.

Also the D.XII was actually tested with the BMW at Adlerhof so you could actually consider it to be the default engine while the Mercedes was not. Not sure who designed it though to come up with a new name :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users