Albatros D.III (Oeffag) Ba.253

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 03 June 2011 - 18:06

Thanks guys :)
Actually, the external model has cabin details from the internal model and this is why this looks pretty detailed. But the FSX easily carries models with the polycount with about 200.000 polygons. Out Oeffag has about 35 000 in total, so it is pretty "light" model for the FSX conditions and is very easy on FPS. For the RoF, she had to be slightly reworked. I mean, she should have low detail cokcpit for the external model. But let's continue on the Flight Simulator first and finish her for that sim :) The Neoqb Fokker Dr.I should have some nice companion in the future, I hope :D

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#42 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:58

Sworl cammo anyone ? 8-)
Also, note the normal map on the other skin.

Attached Files

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#43 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:45

Beautiful! I love this camo, and both textures in general look great!

#44 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:53

Looks great!

#45 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:56

The wing looks beautiful!

#46 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 04 June 2011 - 15:53

This looks brilliant - love the cockpit interior as well!

#47 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:03

Once again, thank you for your kind words!
Some more paintschemes soon.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#48 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 06 June 2011 - 13:41

Two more (I will prepare four schemes for the relase. As for the A-H skins I would like to give honor to create additional skins to von Huetz and Wallenberg because they helped me very much with the research, translations and informations :)

Obl.Stefan Stec of Flik 3J. His personal insignia - the red-white chessboards became the official markings of the PAF by the order from the 1st of December 1918.

Mjr Cedric Fauntleroy, CO of 7.Eskadra Mysliwska, which was also called the "Kosciuszko Squadron" where served American volunteers during the conflict with the Soviet Russia.

Now, I will have to create a spinning prop disc in two configurations (low and high RPM) and then I will need to finish the animations and start working on the aircraft systems.
I want this plane to have every lever workable and clickable. So, you will be able to lock the stick at desired position or use hand pump or switch the fuel tanks. I also hope to include some very basic damage model for the engine (at least to overrev it)

Lucas

Attached Files

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#49 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 29 June 2011 - 19:28

Small update:

I have finished making 3d propeller disc and installed it on the model. The texture still needs some tweaking, but at least the geometry is done. I also created several animations for the cockpit.
More to come at the end of the next week, as I am leaving home for summer vacations. I hope to finish the external model by creating bone animations for the aileron wires and correcting few animation issues on the engine block.

Regards,
Lucas

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#50 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:16

OK, a friend of mine taught me how to create bone animations and I have completed all of them including aileron wires and pilot's stick wires together with rudder pedals. The external model is complete and what I have to do now is to create animations for the:
- clock
- compass
- inclinometer
- pitch indicator
- fuel gauge
- starter lever
- fuel pump handle
- pressure gauge handle
- fuel tank switcher
- two levers for enabling/disabling fuel and pressure gauges
- pilot's stick handle which allows to "lock" the stick in the desired position during the flight

Once it is done, more flight dynamics testing will be required, but it takes lots of time (yeah, even in the Flight Simulator it is still a pretty complicated job :P)

best,
Lucas

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#51 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:29

Good luck on the progress, Lucas, we're hanging on!

#52 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 July 2011 - 13:26

I cannot believe I missed this for so long, very good work, can't wait to see this in action.

#53 hq_Conga

hq_Conga

Posted 08 July 2011 - 13:51

totally missed this thread before! Looks awesome. Great job!

#54 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 08 July 2011 - 23:24

Two more (I will prepare four schemes for the relase. As for the A-H skins I would like to give honor to create additional skins to von Huetz and Wallenberg because they helped me very much with the research, translations and informations :)

Obl.Stefan Stec of Flik 3J. His personal insignia - the red-white chessboards became the official markings of the PAF by the order from the 1st of December 1918.

Mjr Cedric Fauntleroy, CO of 7.Eskadra Mysliwska, which was also called the "Kosciuszko Squadron" where served American volunteers during the conflict with the Soviet Russia.

Now, I will have to create a spinning prop disc in two configurations (low and high RPM) and then I will need to finish the animations and start working on the aircraft systems.
I want this plane to have every lever workable and clickable. So, you will be able to lock the stick at desired position or use hand pump or switch the fuel tanks. I also hope to include some very basic damage model for the engine (at least to overrev it)

Lucas
She looks simply amazing and I love the Polish skins! A great reason to reinstall MSFS X! ;) S! MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#55 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 09 July 2011 - 14:50

Looks Fantastic!

The textures are looking awesome.

#56 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 17 July 2011 - 17:43

Hi Guys,
again, thank you very much for your kind words!
Today I started writing a manual. I will be adding the chapters once I will finish some of the systems. The first thing I described was the fuel and pressure panel describing all the lever positions and flight conditions.
I have all the instruments workable. What I need to finish is the pilot stick locker, pressure selector and the manual pump. I would like to add few conditions to the engine as well. For example, you can not overrev the engine in the FSX. But you can write a xml document where there will be a code that if the plane will meet several conditions, the engine will die (eg. if the speed is 140 knots and the RPM at least 1500, the engine will be dead, etc.) I also hope to experiment with the engine cowling. Currently, there is a 2d panel which allows you to mount/unmount the cowling, when the plane stands on the ground. I want to combine it with the FS "cowl flaps" feature, so with the cowling ON, the cowlflaps will be "closed" and with the cowling OFF, the cowlflaps will be 100% open. But I will need to figure it out how to implement it.

Lucas

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#57 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 24 July 2011 - 23:54

A friend of mine helped me a bit with some "quality control" and suggested me to rework the rib texture using the higher resolution texture. I created a new one from scratch and tuned a little bit the rib and plywood edges to give some more 3d depth and light effects. 1PL-Fatman, the modeller, fixed few things as well - mostly some detail in the cockpit - m-gun paddings, front rib, seat.
We got the manual fuel pump working, so you can use the mouse and pump the fuel with the engine off and receive some pressure needed for the engine start. After that, you can switch to the engine pump and one of the main fueltanks, because at first you have to use a special small tank, the "Startbehalter" to start the Austro-Daimler. Then, you can switch to the main tank or gravity tank. Hopefully, I will be able to work on the systems during this week and close the 3D/2D things.
I am including two screens of the new paintschemes and a new cockpit shot :)

Lucas

Attached File  2011-7-16_23-11-24-939 copy.jpg   183.22KB   343 downloadsAttached File  2011-7-25_1-34-27-263 copy.jpg   373.92KB   343 downloadsAttached File  2011-7-25_1-23-35-644 copy.jpg   527.68KB   343 downloads

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#58 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:13

Judging by those screens I sure would say your Albatros is worthy of ROF. It would be awesome to hear some feedback from Jason… ;)

#59 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:55

:) Honestly speaking I don't think she would be considered. She should have total rework to meet the RoF requirements. What should be done are: LOD models (less detailed 3d files), animating the whole structure for the damage model, damage textures. The planes should be better uv mapped because it could use more space on the texture. The cockpit textures should be resized to 2048, but this is the smallest problem. I think that it would be easier for the experienced 777 modellers just to cut off the Albatros D.III nose section, add and uv map an Oeffag nose, create new engine and complete cockpit from the scratch. They would have most of the damage animations ready in the 3d soft what would save a lot of time. And I know from my experience that sometimes it is easier to build an own model from scratch rather than correct/upgrade some 3d which was done by someone else.
Keep in mind that Jason already invited couple of RoF Community members to the modelling team and they are working on some planes (kill me but I have no idea which ones). The 777 Guys are teaching them the RoF modelling techniques so in some future we will get community-made planes done in the proper way from A to Z :)

Lucas

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#60 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08

Hi lucas,Is this model available for downloading for FSX?I want to use it.

#61 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:19

It has not been relased yet. She still needs some minor corrections in the 2D/3D and some systems are not functional. I have to write a manual, too.

L.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#62 elephant

elephant

Posted 25 July 2011 - 15:14

Again, great work and the cockpit textures look stunning!

#63 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 13 August 2011 - 13:44

Thanks, Elephant:)
I started working on the night lighting textures for the cockpit. It looks promising, but I will need to consider creating a 3d light from the lamp. Apart from that, I got in touch with Mr. Koloman Mayrhofer (who created two 1:1 Oeffag replicas in Austria) who was kind to respond to couple of my questions regarding the aircraft systems. Most things are OK, but I will need to replace the fuel pressure gauge to air pressure gauge as well as the functionality of the hand pump, but it should not be very complicated. I will have to rewrite the checklists and manual because in the 253 version there was no "Startbehalter"- the start tank after which you should switch to the main one. It means reworking the animation code and removing the "Startbehalter" sign from the plate on the left panel.
I repainted several things and made few improvements on the textures. Iam including few screens with the current state of the model.
Regards,
Lucas

Attached Files

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#64 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 13 August 2011 - 17:53

Lukas this plane will be free for use for FSX?

#65 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 13 August 2011 - 18:08

Lucas,
The Albatros looks amazing. You should make a whole line of WW 1 add-ons for Flight, when it comes out. I wonder about the viability of using ROF planes with Microsoft Flight FMs, but that is something that the team is probably not interested in doing.They have a full plate. Still, there is an alarming lack of quality WW 1 add-ons for MSFS X and certainly nothing approaching A2A accusim or anything like that.

When you feel you have all the bugs worked out, you should put this ride up for SimHQ review and maybe even sell it as an MSFS X add-on. If you do make it free ware, then use it as a jump off point for payware for Microsoft Flight. See how it goes. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#66 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 13 August 2011 - 19:45

MJ,

I was thinking the same some time ago. The RoF planes are marvelous. Besides that, they relased their Dr.I for the FSX few years ago and it is one of the best vintage addons availble, right to the Bristol Fighter by Robert Bruce. There is a freeware Camel, but it is an older model and lacks some detail for the today's requirements. There is finally a SE5a created by Just Flight, but honestly I do not like the texture art present in their model.
So, the 777 could relaunch their birds for the FSX for sure (or for the MS Flight in the future). Iam aware that it very time consuming, but it could bring some additional profit for sure.
As for the Oeffag, I can not say if it will be a freeware or payware. It is not completed yet and I can not say much.
As for the freeware stuff for the FSX, search for "Lukasz Kubacki" on the avsim.com for example :) I messed with couple of freeware birds and made several aerodrome sceneries, too :) So, the Oeffag "may" be the jump off point. If it will go payware, I will ask the mods to close the topic. It would not be OK to present the development of the plane or anything else on other's company forum. Do the OFF devs show their WIP screens here ? I do not think so :)
Regards,
Lucas

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#67 Harlej

Harlej

Posted 14 August 2011 - 19:38

Outstanding! Keep going, can't waint to see it in any sim.

#68 HarryZhe

HarryZhe

Posted 15 September 2011 - 17:07

Hi, the model is looking good. Not sure about the propellor though, maybe it's a placeholder. Textures in places could use some work, if you'd like to collaborate PM me.
Perhaps I could model you a more accurate Schwarzlose?

The Schwarzlose there is quite a bit too wide and with some incorrect proportions and missing details. The top of the reciever should also be nearly flush with the lower.

Maybe not a big deal for flight simulator but if we want to see it in rof this is important :D

I have a memory of seeing leather padding on the guns like in your pics but i cant find photos atm, may have imagined it. On the aviatiks they seem to always use a more shaped padding.

Hope this helps.

#69 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 16 September 2011 - 00:29

Beautiful work for sure, is this plane going to be for FSX or ROF though?

#70 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:49

Gents,
thank you very much for the references, corrections and a kind words!

Badger, I thought she could be relased for RoF, but because I did not receive any feedback, we concentrated on the FSX version. At this moment it would be way too much work to adapt the model to the RoF standards IMHO (LOD's, damage model). So, I'd say she will be a FSX model only.

HarryZhe, thank you very much for the photos and your notes! Looks like that our Schwarzlose is too simplified (it serves both in external and internal model to save resources and texture load).
I will ask my friend who modelled the whole plane if he can correct couple of things.
Best regards,
Lucas

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#71 kristenburnout

kristenburnout

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:14

Any news about this albi? I just wondered when it will be available for download. It looks almost better than the ROF diii! :)

#72 kristenburnout

kristenburnout

Posted 01 January 2012 - 20:44

Any news about this albi? I just wondered when it will be available for download. It looks almost better than the ROF diii! :)
EDIT: With closer inspection, it does!:D

#73 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 04 January 2012 - 17:58

Hi,

sorry, I missed your post! Currently, a friend of mine is modelling a new pilot figure for the plane. The model is completed and now is receiving bone animations :)

As for the model quality - thank you very much for your kind words, but Oeffag is using more textures with higher resolution, because it is a model for single player gameplay with limited AI planes around. RoF models are optimised for the massive multiplayer and have very strict texture limits. And I must say that the RoF modellers are doing brilliant job having the best quality/performance aspect.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#74 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:23

Lucas,

I'm glad that you are bringing some of your work this way with this Austrian Alby and might I say that you have done a fine job.

If I could give some constructive criticism… the hub and blades of the prop look like they are made from different chunks of wood then glued together on your model. Whereas in reality, wouldn't the entire blade be carved from one large piece of laminated wood? Looking at the wood grain in your prop, the grain of the hub goes one way and the grain of the blade, another, giving the impression of two separate pieces of wood. Also, there would be probably be a smooth curved transition from hub to blades that your model does not have.

I know it's splitting hairs but… details, details.

Cheers.

#75 kristenburnout

kristenburnout

Posted 05 January 2012 - 14:27

Hi,

sorry, I missed your post! Currently, a friend of mine is modelling a new pilot figure for the plane. The model is completed and now is receiving bone animations :)

As for the model quality - thank you very much for your kind words, but Oeffag is using more textures with higher resolution, because it is a model for single player gameplay with limited AI planes around. RoF models are optimised for the massive multiplayer and have very strict texture limits. And I must say that the RoF modellers are doing brilliant job having the best quality/performance aspect.

Yeah, I understand that.
777 studios, don't get me wrong, you are doing a GREAT job. :) The ROF models never were "low quality" and even the first ones added to the game still look sweet.

#76 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 05 January 2012 - 18:45

@Adam

those are a very good points. However the propeller was corrected a bit some time ago and the blades fit the hub much better. I was also experimenting with the texture, too. In any case, Iam attaching recent close-up photo of the plane.
On the next one, I present the left panel responsible for selecting the air pressure source and fuel tanks. There are two gauges, first showing the oil pressure, second the air pressure in the fuel tank. To provide the air pressure before the engine start, you have to set the lever to "Hand pumpe", apply full mixture, crack the throtlle a little bit and start providing pressure by the hand pump on the right side of the cockpit. Then you can click on the starter. Pity that standard simulation code does not allow to move the propeller by hand (as it is possible with Piper Cub by A2A Simulations), but I really like that small feature with the selector. Iam especially grateful to von Huetz who helped me a lot with the lever system and with the translations. I also got a confirmation about the gauges from Mr. K.Mayrhofer.

Attached File  2012-1-5_19-37-22-692.jpg   215.52KB   488 downloads Attached File  2011-9-25_18-42-0-985.jpg   99.93KB   488 downloads

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy

#77 elephant

elephant

Posted 05 January 2012 - 20:05

Beautiful!
I wish 777 would accept 3rd party addon planes in the (near?) future…

#78 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 January 2012 - 21:11

Nice job on the prop! Looks very good!

#79 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 13 January 2012 - 19:23

Striking, Lucas!

#80 Huetz

Huetz

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:37

@Adam

those are a very good points. However the propeller was corrected a bit some time ago and the blades fit the hub much better. I was also experimenting with the texture, too. In any case, Iam attaching recent close-up photo of the plane.
On the next one, I present the left panel responsible for selecting the air pressure source and fuel tanks. There are two gauges, first showing the oil pressure, second the air pressure in the fuel tank. To provide the air pressure before the engine start, you have to set the lever to "Hand pumpe", apply full mixture, crack the throtlle a little bit and start providing pressure by the hand pump on the right side of the cockpit. Then you can click on the starter. Pity that standard simulation code does not allow to move the propeller by hand (as it is possible with Piper Cub by A2A Simulations), but I really like that small feature with the selector. Iam especially grateful to von Huetz who helped me a lot with the lever system and with the translations. I also got a confirmation about the gauges from Mr. K.Mayrhofer.

Thanks for the credit there Lucas :oops: I do however feel that given what you have achieved, my contribution was just a marginal drop in an ocean of talent! Very nice work!

If the guys in here saw what we had to work with to identify the readings on the side panel… Really nice job! Thanks for letting me contribute to this project!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users