Photo
- - - - -

Learning the SE5a

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 15 April 2011 - 21:31

It's fine to dive into the mix once you stop caring about dying :) It's a given that you'll find a tie fighter on your 6 halfway through the fight but dragging them back through the camels is part of the fun!

#42 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 15 April 2011 - 22:39

But Taipan, theres only a handfull of SE drivers that can repeatedly kill
and remain untouched.

I going to put you in that handfull.

oh, reminds me, your vid looked like the view I have, my head is never
looking in one place for very long. zooming in n out. checkn my six.
and that blind spot everybody over looks, straight up above me.

:S!:

#43 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 15 April 2011 - 23:28

Thanks Tom that's my paranoid view :) but it's also blood lust searching for planes :)

It's funny when you get tired all that slows down and mistakes start. I had a long session last night but towards the end I got killed 4 times by not having awareness. Although I was being too cocky and staying to fight Dr1s that had E advantage instead of running as usual.

Could be better to have lots of short sessions than one long one I think, it's mentally taxing.

#44 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:46

That's flying though and it's great that the game simulates it- even in non-combat/small plane flying your eyes are out the window and tracking around constantly very rarely checking instruments as it takes your eyes off other aircraft that are very easy to lose even when you knew where they were a second or two ago. There was a saying in WWI that "If you didn't come back with a sore neck, then you didn't come back." A lot of pilots wore silk scarves under their tunic to prevent rubbing the skin raw on their necks while scanning the sky.

When pilots got tired they made mistakes (this fatigue was cumulative) it could be argued that this combat fatigue is what contributed to the deaths of Richthofen at 25, Boelcke at 25, Ball shy of his 21st Birthday and Hawker at the grand age of 26.

Countless other pilots on both sides didn't live long enough to learn to keep their heads moving or get combat fatigue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users