Photo
- - - - -

Learning the SE5a

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 April 2011 - 22:32

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#2 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:49

Oooh I feel dirty touching her now :? Keep your hands off her buddy ! She's mine. Stick to your fagism fagasm :lol:

#3 veltjens

veltjens

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:49

I liked your video!!! :S!:

#4 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:27

I get more kills in a Camel.
I get more thrills in an Se5a.

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:40

yay more newguy kill videos!

#6 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 12 April 2011 - 13:40

You forgot the sarcasm tags :)

#7 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 April 2011 - 14:15

Ooh, it's the infamous two-bullet explosion captured on film!

#8 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 12 April 2011 - 15:06

great kills, but a bit lucky I think :)

GREAT VIDEO!

#9 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 12 April 2011 - 18:40

Grabbed this from a different thread as it appears to be needed again:
:roll:

Who calls it that? :lol:

No one at the time did and no-one does now - it was just a military designation as all the Royal Airfcraft Factory planes until later in 1917 had to be called 'Experimental' as they didn't have remit to design/build a plane from scratch just modify existing parts and designs hence Reconnaissance Experimental 8 (RE8) which is also never called that. Just an admin/technical term that was never used.

What a pretentious way to refer to the SE5a.

It's like if we all wrote 'Personal Computer' instead of PC nobody does it ever. Oh I think I need a new Personal Computer. Maybe I should drive my Bayerische Motoren Werke 3-Series to the shops to buy another one! :S!:

#10 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 12 April 2011 - 19:31

Grabbed this from a different thread as it appears to be needed again:
:roll:

Who calls it that? :lol:

No one at the time did and no-one does now - it was just a military designation as all the Royal Airfcraft Factory planes until later in 1917 had to be called 'Experimental' as they didn't have remit to design/build a plane from scratch just modify existing parts and designs hence Reconnaissance Experimental 8 (RE8) which is also never called that. Just an admin/technical term that was never used.

What a pretentious way to refer to the SE5a.

It's like if we all wrote 'Personal Computer' instead of PC nobody does it ever. Oh I think I need a new Personal Computer. Maybe I should drive my Bayerische Motoren Werke 3-Series to the shops to buy another one! :S!:

I see your "Personal Computer" and raise you (my pet peeve) an "ATM Machine" ;)

#11 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 12 April 2011 - 19:32

PIN Number?

#12 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 12 April 2011 - 19:38

ATM? Alien time machine?

#13 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 12 April 2011 - 19:40

This is sadly the case with most fights. Converge and nothing but a bunch of split s maneuver type things till the heard deck and then the person with enough E left is the winner.

That D7 Fd up when he dove and made a turn instead of climbing back up. The SE5 had a inferior E state and the D7 lost the fight when he gave up his advantage. More of a piss poor performance of the opponent in my opinion.

#14 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 12 April 2011 - 21:10

Indeed, altho Newguy flew his aircraft well, the only reason he beat the D7f is because the other pilot was an idiot. Had he flown smartly, he could have had his sights on Newguy at least 3 or 4 times in that encounter. Very bad show on his part.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#15 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 12 April 2011 - 23:08

PIN Number?

Actually thought it was "Personal PIN Number" TC?

#16 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:52

PIN Number?

Actually thought it was "Personal PIN Number" TC?

:lol:

Also a great thread hijack!!

It also annoys me when people say 'monies' as in 'The monies will be in your account later today' when they mean 'Money' or 'Funds'

It's like saying the Sheeps will be in your field later today'

#17 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:49

Do it Newguy!

More variety in the skies than Camels is always good. Watch Requiems BnZ vids and learn them, and the rope a dope vid, barrel roll attack (great for pfalzs), pitch back and high yoyo.

Thanks Requiem for the barrel roll attack by the way, it's counter intuitive but it works great when it puts you right on their 6 for a burst.

Watch out for those Dr1s Newguy

#18 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:27

Thanks Requiem for the barrel roll attack by the way, it's counter intuitive but it works great when it puts you right on their 6 for a burst.

Before I played RoF that was a standard maneuver for me in Il-2 or AH, but a lot of our aircraft do not roll well enough to do it really well (although every scout can do it to some extent). However, I have to agree that the SE5 is the perfect platform for using this maneuver to turn the tables on an attacker. It rolls well and, despite its potential to stall if you're hamfisted, it has good low speed control authority.

I haven't watched Requiem's video, but I can't stress enough how eye-opening it is to learn the barrel roll attack. It's one of the big steps in learning how to defeat a better-turning opponent with a plane that is "supposed" to simply run away.

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:29

"legos". I hate it when people say "legos".

#20 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:01

What happened to your camel speed sig? Have you got some inside info that the Mercedes engine is going to get an upgrade?
700m gunnery explosions is just as good a cause of course ;)

#21 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 April 2011 - 14:06

Exactly, I'm tired of tapping the trigger from 300m away in an attempt to scare my target, only to see him burst into flames. It's even more annoying from the other end. 8-)

#22 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 13 April 2011 - 19:35

Planes I would like to see in ROF:
1) BR1 F1 Camel
2) Clerget 9bF F1 Camel
3) 2F1 Camel
4) Snipe

Amazing just noticed this - a man after my own heart. I see you want 4 of the same plane and one of that plane's bigger brother.

Let's take this one step further towards it's logical conclusion:

We blatantly need the BR1 Camel (150hp) because the ROF Camel is not fast enough and not good at climbing at the moment.

Also I think this is the one that we have

Clerget 9bF F1 Camel

And is called the Sopwith F1/3 Camel so we can tick that one off.

The 2F1 is just the BR1 Camel again with twin fixed Lewis guns (non-reloadable = 196 rounds?) instead of twin Vickers. But essential none the less.

We are in dire need of the F1 camel 130hp Clerget and the other Clerget 130 powered Sopwith Camel such as B2512 which I believe is the Clayton & Shuttleworth built one?

I notice that you don't request the 110hp Le Rhone Sopwith Camel like B3829 - too slow? Is this the reason for overlooking the 100hp Gnome one as well? I think best bring them both in for the sake of being thorough.

Another one that this sim is crying out for is the 150hp Gnome-Monosaupe engined (USAS) version which you cruelly neglected - add it to your wishlist!

How could I (and you) forget the classic that is the 170 hp Le Rhone - even more powerful than the BR1 - a crucial addition.

Right I think that's the complete set oh no… please please please also put in for a 'Comic' Night-fighter like the one pictured here.

Think that is the final version of the (our?) wish list- screw planes we don't already have any version of let alone a pimped out version of! Thank God the Snipe is already up-coming - better add the ground attack variant the Sopwith TF.2 Salamander to the list though. :x

Oh how I wish sometimes Sopwith had made more versions of the Camel and the Snipe…

Attached Files

#23 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 13 April 2011 - 20:52

Cundall,

Sarcasm is such a terrible thing to waste…

You may have tossed that pitch a little too high…

:S!:

#24 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 13 April 2011 - 21:07

Sorry HT should I have used smileys and words like Über-Fag?

Then people would detect my tone and intentions? It's so hard to convey meaning without smileys. I don't know how the press and authors do it…

#25 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 13 April 2011 - 22:41

Then people would detect my tone and intentions? It's so hard to convey meaning without smileys. I don't know how the press and authors do it…

Perhaps you shouldn't post when you're pissed?

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 April 2011 - 22:43

I highly resent that idea.

#27 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 13 April 2011 - 22:45

I highly resent that idea.

You're excepted.
:lol:

#28 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 13 April 2011 - 22:56

Perhaps you shouldn't post when you're pissed?

Joe,

I think he was laughing when he wrote it.

I certainly was laughing when I read it.

See, Cundall: Wasted sarcasm. Went right over their heads. Pity. ;)

#29 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 13 April 2011 - 23:08

Sorry Tom. I don't understand sarcasm when I'm pissed. I'll see it in a different light in the morning.

G'night.
:zzz:

#30 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:20

Sorry Tom. I don't understand sarcasm when I'm pissed. I'll see it in a different light in the morning.

G'night.

NP

Cundall and I (we communicated a lot when we were working on all those news stories for the new campaign) share a problem of sounding serious (to others) when we aren't at all.

The only difference is, I use a lot of smileys.

And he's British.

#31 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:47

The funniest thing is that the 110hp LeRhone variant might have been the best of them all, but it always gets overlooked because the 110hp isn't beefy enough to impress those who want a better Camel.

#32 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:24

The funniest thing is the OP is soo proud of his movie he has yet to even post in his own thread. You guys have gone off on some kind of tangent. To me that is the funniest shit in this damn thread.

#33 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:34

That's because every video he posts the same. It always has some title that suggests that he isn't a good pilot, or is just learning, or is plagued by the Dr1, and so on… The actual video is always footage of him pwning someone who made a clear mistake, or who never had a chance in the first place, e.g. Newguy's Camel pwning Albatrosses, etc.

#34 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:00

Ah, so really I should probably disreguard any further movies by him. Gotcha.

#35 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:44

Well I hope he continues the SE5 don't discourage him it takes patience to learn it and to fly it well

#36 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:26

True. I have respect for anyone who can master the SE5. Reflected drives me to tears when he flies it.

#37 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:56

G'night.

NP

Cundall and I (we communicated a lot when we were working on all those news stories for the new campaign) share a problem of sounding serious (to others) when we aren't at all.

The only difference is, I use a lot of smileys.

And he's British.

And according to Honeymonster's HP skin 'A Legend'

When you've got it, you've got it! :)

#38 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:54

Here you go Newguy, a video response :)

A regular SE5a patrol over the frontline. Patrolling is where the SE5a does best as opposed to fastfood. It can still do well on fastfood and I made a 23 streak last night before I got tired and started crashing. But a high patrol is where it excels because you have the speed to get across the sky quickly.

My videos are very different.. not as fast and exciting. But it's the hunt and the suspense that I enjoy although maybe some will find it boring?

I made some flying mistakes, and broke a few rules but it's good to push it sometimes. Try the SE on HQ server it's great!

PART1: http://youtu.be/LN9aaoXIYNE?hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/LN9aaoXIYNE?hd=1
PART2: http://youtu.be/Ldo3eBPWXH8?hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/Ldo3eBPWXH8?hd=1

ps No hollywood explosions in this one… just a little fire and canvas damage

#39 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:04

Thanks for sharing Taipan.
Had to wade through a lot of rooftop snipers to get to this post.

#40 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:23

Excellent!

The Se5a is by far my favourite plane but I rarely fly it on dogfight servers where I usually switch to the Camel or Tripe (horses for courses). Sometimes I risk it in the Se5a but the temptation to dive into the soup is very strong, sometimes too strong but I fly it anyway for the hell of it.
8-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users