Photo
- - - - -

A great WWI aircraft reference book.....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 US95th_Vampire

US95th_Vampire

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:09

S! to all…

I have just had a great book sent to me, (yes,he is one of the authors),by an old and honorable foe. We have bumped heads in RB3D and IL-2, he is a great friend to have on your wing :S!: and a real pain to have on your six :x .. :xx: …..

The book is called, The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide Aircraft of World War I 1914-1918. By Jack Herris and Bob Pearson…by Amber Books Ltd. UK..C/R 2010..ISBN978-906626-66-2.

If this volume is not on your shelf, get it. The illustrations and the tech write ups, are outstanding, and belong on everyone's self who is into WWI aircraft….( I am a third generation pilot, and know good info manuals, when I see them).

BTW, maybe, just maybe, he can be talked into doing some projects for you….Vamp…

#2 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:28

Thanks for this recommendation.

I hope you don't mind but I've added it to this thread:

Recommended Reading

#3 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:09

I can also recommend a small illustrated book by Francis Crosby (Imperial War Museum):

'The Illustrated Book of Fighter Aircraft' (Hermes House), with many previously unpublished pictures from the IWM archive. WW1 onwards.

#4 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 04 May 2012 - 00:08

I just bought an ipod and while checking the apps store I downloaded an app that finds military books … turns out it is a store for Amber - yes, the publisher that Jack Herris and I did the WWI Aircraft book for. In the pre-WWII section the first three options are FOR OUR BOOK "Complete Guide to WWI Aircraft 1914-1918" broken up into three sections. It will be $36 to download the entire thing to an ipod. . but it beats paying $2000 for it on Amazon now

#5 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 04 May 2012 - 00:24

@Colslaw – if you don't mind, what is the name of the app that finds military books?

Cheers,

#6 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:13

Pity it's out of print already, Bob (Colslaw).

Glad I got mine quickly. It's excellent!

Any chance of another printing?

#7 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:18

Tom,

I hope it will be reprinted as it has gotten good reviews and I am rather proud of our work on it.

The app is called

Angela Patchell Books
Military Books

I just did a search trying Angela Patchell Books and it was the first option that appeared.

#8 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:35

Thanks, found it, S!

#9 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:48

Placed my order with Amazon here in the States…should be an interesting read. 8-)

I'm getting the hardcover from a secondary distributor in South Carolina…only one left, let's see if his stock is accurate. ;)

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#10 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:54

Looked interesting, got excited, did a google, found it, looked familiar, checked bookcase, already got it.
Bugger :lol:

Vitae elit Brevior

#11 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:36

I really wish I had got more than two copies when it was initially released, but I figured I could contact them about a bulk order later - and then the guy we dealt with moved on to another company. The best price I have seen since was $50 from an online store in Australia. Being able to get it as an ebook should be a good deal if I can use it on my various readers and such so I can show it off to friends without actually taking my remaining copy with me everywhere.

Perhaps one day Jack and I will expand on it for his publishing company - Aeronaut books (formerly "Flying Machines Press"). Now that would be a doorstop to have with accurate text, lots of photos and illustrations.

#12 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:38

Just ordered it too! thank you for this advice.
May I add another book about WWI planes. It is called "Military Aeroplanes" and it is very complete. A good read and a good complement to Barber's book about aerobatics.
Moreover it is free: archive.org/details/cu31924030744647

#13 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:46

Eckhart,

I just took a look through the preview of that book and there is a really intersting Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter on page 5 that just screams for me illustrate - I will have to make a note to do so when I revisit Strutters in the near future

#14 Endy

Endy

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:30

I ordered "Aircraft of World War one" about a year ago with WH Smiths. About 3 months later they e-mailed me to tell me it was out of print.
I rang the publisher Amber, a very nice chap tried to source the book for me, but no luck in the UK.

About 3 or 4 months ago, he e-mailed me again, telling me they are re-printing in the spring.

I'll now have another look.

#15 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 04 May 2012 - 13:12

Bob (Colslaw) – I grabbed the first volume of your and Herris's book from the Amber Military Books app and I am enjoying it very much. Will grab the other volumes as well. Hope you are getting your royalties!

Nice illustrations of lots of lesser known types.

Cheers,

#16 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 04 May 2012 - 16:29

Sadly no royalties … we were paid a flat fee. Initially they wanted to use mostly their own artwork that had been used in countless other books and just have me fill in some gaps. . when we saw it we shuddered as it was quite out of date as far as shapes, colours and quality. Jack and I wanted a book that we could be proud of and that would stand the test of time, therefore I offered to replace anything that I had a similar illustration of and then eventually I replaced everything except the airships. Part of the deal is they are only allowed to use my artwork in that book and no others. I think we succeeded in our goal. I am pleased that it will be reprinted and that more people will have a chance to acquire copies of it.

#17 rolltide

rolltide

Posted 07 May 2012 - 23:41

It is a very good reference book except they did not include front and top views of the planes. :o Almost a deal-breaker for me. Include that and it would be one of the finest WWI aircraft books around.

rolltide

#18 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:08

I let my wife to buy me this book last Christmas.
It was a nice present :)

#19 waitin4chips

waitin4chips

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:33

I recently purchased:

JASTA BOELCKE: THE HISTORY OF JASTA 2, 1916-1918 AUTHOUR: Norman Franks

A facinating day by day account of the activities of this famous jasta, from it's formation to the wars end.

Covers amongst others, the early activities of pilots such as Voss and Richtofen who both came to prominence flying with its ranks.

I found it well worth the read.

#20 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 00:26

Well, it's Saturday and I now have my copy of The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide: Aircraft of World War I. Opening up the box, one finds a roughly 8.5 x 11 'ish ( 8" x 10"? ) fully illustrated hardcover with matching cover sleeve.

Initial impressions: Colorful, with excellent side-on illustrations of the various aircraft ( and there are so MANY..in fact, it looks as if the authors left very few of them unmentioned :) ) with historical markings and paint schemes galore. Summaries are well-written, interesting and detailed enough to satisfy history buffs, IMO. :D

Thoughtfully divided into separate sections for aircraft mission role and laid out from the beginning of the war and the various technologies that existed, all the way to the end. It even covers airships and their mission roles I had long forgotten about, such as the North Sea airships. :!:

This is without a doubt a very good book for its price ( $25.50 USD plus shipping here in the States ). 8-)

I like it gentlemen, a very good read and comprehensive enough to throw on my reference shelf.

Nicely done!

:S!:

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#21 Endy

Endy

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:33

AT LAST, my "Aircraft of World War One" arrived this morning, from "THE BOOK DEPOSITORY".

I only ordered it from them on Sat.19th, and canceled with a large store where it had been on order for over two weeks.

The Book Depository does free shipping world-wide, I paid £13 [thirteen].

Looks like a great book, at a great price. I'm going to go and sit in the sun and have a read of it now.

#22 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 23 May 2012 - 22:21

I ordered three of them from the Book depository a week or two ago, they were $28 Cdn each.

#23 Endy

Endy

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:41

Hi Colslaw, you're a legend, you and Jack that is. Great book, just had an hour reading it yesterday.

#24 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 06 June 2012 - 22:48

Anyone thinking of buying this book should do so ASAP as the price is going up. The first order I did from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.bookdepository.co.uk on May 15th cost $26 per book, the second on May 26th was $28 and it is now $35 when I checked a few minutes ago.

#25 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 07 June 2012 - 00:22

Bought this book a few months ago.. worth a read.
Shame the illustrations are only side views though.. However, some good information to be had.

#26 Colslaw

Colslaw

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:22

In regards to the side views only, I am adding more and more top views to the CD - still nowhere near as many as the side views though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users