I want to try to appeal to most players so we can once again join together for the kind of large bustling busy MP that we used to remember. The things I tried to incorporate into the mission to appeal to both sides of the realism/quake debate:
- Large centrally accessible region of objectives for both sides, not dispersed.
- SHORT distance to the fight!
- Air starts so players with limited time can get into the action quickly, and new players don't have trouble with mixture or starting engines! A ground start base as well for those who like it real.
- Low (1000m) clouds for fun cloud fights and bomber tactics
- 6000 feet Air starts for bombers to save climbing time. Actually is fairly realistic compared to the usual circle climbing for 30 minutes, as airstarts simulate being halfway through the LONG fight that happened in reality.
- Long running "WAR" mission - no mission timeout all day for 14 hours until night time, so you can begin your bomber climb without getting a timeout message. It actually runs 6am-8pm (14 hours).
- Historical "basis" - based on the Meuse-Argonne offensive, the American's contribution at Verdun in particular, but VERY loosely. Gameplay is the chief concern to keep peoples interest as FUN is the most important thing, whatever style of fun that is we can try for a balance.
- Objectives that are open: Something for everyone. You can either fly bomber/recon cover, recon hunt, play ground strafing, tank hunting, or high patrol for some PvP combat. Even strategic denial of planes to the enemy by knocking out their airbases that have the best planes/bombers. Knock out the two bomber bases and they can't bomb for an while.
- DFW - it's intended for the DFW to give central fighter-bomber abilities… to attack the AAA positions, barges, trains, tanks etc.
- Tanks will move in and attempt to attack enemy units - and your airbases!
- Balanced plane sets (1918). Each plane will have a front start set and a back/ground start set.
Some notes for server hosts:
1. It does start early - 6:05am. But it gets lighter quickly and the morning has very nice lighting.
2. It's intended to run for a longer period so set your rounds up high. It can run any time between 3 hours and 14 hours 6am-8pm ingame time.
3. Please don't change planesets or bases without checking first. You may edit the briefing to add your server rules etc. Let me know any feedback or issues.
DOWNLOAD AI 2-Seater and Artillery Versions (original): The 14 Hour Offensive v1.21.rar 123.26KB 110 downloads
DOWNLOAD AI Fighter Cut Down Versions (less memory): The 14 Hour Offensive v1.25.rar 111.87KB 91 downloads
A screenshot of one mission today, my friends in DFWs escorting my GOTHA to destroy the allied airfield