116 replies to this topic

#41 Gitt

Gitt

Posted 25 March 2011 - 22:08

great work thx guys.

#42 O_Steviant

O_Steviant

Posted 25 March 2011 - 22:46

Well I just installed the new update, all seemed to go ok, but when I go into the game, there are no missions for the DFW, no Fly Now or Scenarios. I then tried to start a career with DFW, but get the message that connection to the server was temporarily lost. The only way I can fly the DFW is in QMB. Haven't tried MP yet, want to learn how to fly it first. What can I do?

I can still start new careers with other planes

#43 daiphan

daiphan

Posted 25 March 2011 - 23:52

Hi guys,

How do I update the game? I have not played in a few months. Thanks! DP

#44 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 26 March 2011 - 00:06

Some notes:
1. Error on skin selecting - please instal lates (v.1.018) Official Skinspack, DFW external 3D was changed and official skins were re-designed for these changes. Old (incorrect) skins were unapproved.
2. No cockpit lighting - we have not foud any historical notes that DFW was used in Night sorties or technical data that it have any kind of light equipment. So, it's a daytime multipurpose plane, that why it have no ligting.
3. No scenario mission - we have decided to delay it to release a mission in 1.019 when new Photo Recon / Arty Spotter functional will be ready.
4. No FlyNow mission - sorry, our fault. Will be in 1.019. But anyway - Quick Mission provides much more interesting gameplay than Flynow, you may use it now.

#45 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 26 March 2011 - 00:25

DFW C.V career will be available in 9 hours.

#46 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:21

Installed and everything works fine :-)

#47 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:24

Some notes:
1. Error on skin selecting - please instal lates (v.1.018) Official Skinspack, DFW external 3D was changed and official skins were re-designed for these changes. Old (incorrect) skins were unapproved.
2. No cockpit lighting - we have not foud any historical notes that DFW was used in Night sorties or technical data that it have any kind of light equipment. So, it's a daytime multipurpose plane, that why it have no ligting.
3. No scenario mission - we have decided to delay it to release a mission in 1.019 when new Photo Recon / Arty Spotter functional will be ready.
4. No FlyNow mission - sorry, our fault. Will be in 1.019. But anyway - Quick Mission provides much more interesting gameplay than Flynow, you may use it now.

Hi, one question… if I install the RoF Official Skinspack v.1.018 it´s not necessary that install RoF Official Skinspack v.1.017?

Thanks a lot

#48 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:26

Yes it is not necessary.

:)

The official skinpacks are cumulative, the community skin packs are not.

#49 Skyburn

Skyburn

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:26

well, I repaired my game, but now everything is in a different folder.
It used to be ../Rise of Flight and now it's ../777/Rise of Flight.
Is that going to be a problem for the next update?

#50 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:32

Some notes:

Han - does this mean that all the previous Community Skins (Historical and Fictional) done and submitted for the DFW C.V no longer work properly and will have to be modified and resubmitted? If so, has the DFW template on the "Useful materials" page been updated to be the template for the new/changed DFW version, or is a new template version going to be released/posted soon?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#51 CAFulcrum

CAFulcrum

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:17

Some notes:

Ah, that answers my question. Thanks for response. Still the DFW requires no engine management beyond throttle, so it would at least be manageable at night.

I finally installed 1.018 this morning. I'm so glad I bought the DFW. It's so nice to fly a two-seater again, the relative stability of the plane compared to the scouts and the sense of teamwork you get while gunning from the backseat is unique and makes ROF feel like a new sim. I found the DFW is a great tank-hunter, the 14.5 kg bombs are perfect for popping tanks and its such a good platform I was able to put enough machinegun rounds into a Mk5 to blow it up. Later I had fun flying like an AC-class gunship, making small circles from the back seat and firing down at a convoy. Still have to try dogfighting but I love how sharp of a turn it seems to slip into on its own when you tip it on its side at full power. The sound of the propwash as you increase power was also really nice, you can almost feel the wind blasting by you when you crank the throttle up. Great work on this plane!

#52 gottfried

gottfried
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:19

I flew my first night job (my Dolphin v. enemy Gotha) just to try it out.

I never saw him. Following the map icons I found him, and even got close enough to hear him very well, but no visual. One of the Gotha guys apparently saw me well enough to shoot, and shot well enough to take out my engine. I thought he knocked off a wing, but I guess I just stalled, perhaps I was climbing, I don't know.
Sparks emitting from the tail pipe would help. I heard pilots thought their plane was on fire the first time they flew at night

AKA Kangaroo Jack

#53 Feen

Feen

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:41

nightime gunflashes are WAY hot… effects on crashing burning planes too!
WW1 RULZ! wondered forever why there wasnt a larger WW1 fan base.
with such attention to realism i find it curious why rotaries have throttle control? next update should maybe offer rotary throttle as a setting with other "flying aids" and leave blipping as default realism (or vice versa)
amazing sim

#54 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:43

Because some rotaries did have throttles, some had levers that cut out some cylinders and some (early rotaries) just had blip switches. The ones that didn't have a throttle that are in game don't have a throttle in game (DH2 and EIII)

Welcome to the game and the forums!! :)

#55 catchov

catchov

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:46

wondered forever why there wasnt a larger WW1 fan base.

I've pondered on that too :? Maybe RoF will change that ! :D

#56 Feen

Feen

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:25

sheesh… i always thought Sopwiths and DR1's & Nieups were blippers! (embarrasing since my dad flew WW1 replicas for Flying Circus Aerodrome in bealton va and we owned a sopwith pup …doh) thought the airshow rotary's all had throttles cause they were replicas. planecrash prevents him from ever trying ROF sadly.

#57 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:31

sheesh… i always thought Sopwiths and DR1's & Nieups were blippers! (embarrasing since my dad flew WW1 replicas for Flying Circus Aerodrome in bealton va and we owned a sopwith pup …doh) thought the airshow rotary's all had throttles cause they were replicas. planecrash prevents him from ever trying ROF sadly.

Many of these planes were fitted with different engines during the war so while these replicas probably got it right, so did ROF :P. Everybody wins!

Try the Nieuport 28 with the big Gnôme engine. It only has a selector switch that, like Tom says, cuts off some cylinders.

Sorry to hear about your father!

It's a good thing we can fly these crates and be perfectly safe with ROF….

#58 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:34

I'm getting ROF EXE and runtime errors alot this patch. Never had this for months.

#59 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:59

Any ideas?

#60 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:11

try recovery, some files might be corrupted.

#61 Josef_Reiter

Josef_Reiter

Posted 26 March 2011 - 17:10

Love the new aircraft… I can't seem to put this plane into a flat spin :)… that opens the door for all kinds of nutty acrobatics.

#62 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 26 March 2011 - 17:17

try recovery, some files might be corrupted.

Thanks. That was it too. All fixed now :S!:

#63 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 26 March 2011 - 17:29

I'm seeing ROF.exe errors as well… and I almost never saw them before. :-(

#64 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 26 March 2011 - 17:29

Dear Producers, Thank You for the update.
I bought 'Cliffs of Dover' game. There I found SUN, that is really good. Maybe it is possible to get it in RoF's virtual world?
http://www.sukhoi.ru...66&d=1301115680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sukhoi.ru...um/attachment.p … 1301115680

#65 Sayan

Sayan

Posted 26 March 2011 - 18:45

3. Одобрен пакет исторических окрасок от игрового сообщества, том.6
4. Одобрен пакет авторских окрасок от игрового сообщества, том.6
5. Одобрен официальный пакет исторических окрасок версии 1.018
А где можно ознакомиться со списком?

#66 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 March 2011 - 20:51

Some notes:

Han - does this mean that all the previous Community Skins (Historical and Fictional) done and submitted for the DFW C.V no longer work properly and will have to be modified and resubmitted? If so, has the DFW template on the "Useful materials" page been updated to be the template for the new/changed DFW version, or is a new template version going to be released/posted soon?

I've heard from 777 and have tested it myself - whatever changed about the new DFW template/model does NOT seem to have affected the Community Skins that have previously been done for the DFW - I took my new DFW up for a spin with "mods off", and the historical skin I did for it before worked and looked just fine, so nothing appears necessary to be done to any previously-submitted DFW skins, at least from this perspective. However, as Han said - please do use the new/updated template for doing any new DFW skins going forward.

It did make me wonder though - did the designers of the DFW IRL never actually sit in the cockpit while they were creating it? The forward vision of the pilot is almost entirely blocked by the engine and radiator placement - it must have taken a particularly gutsy pilot to climb in that bird and try to take off (or especially to try to land it). I did get a comfortable feeling that I probably wouldn't be too vulnerable to bullets from a head-on attack, however - lots of protection up front to stop those bullets :lol:

The sight of all those little bombs dropping away was really awesome though - really gonna enjoy flying this new bird. :D

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#67 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 26 March 2011 - 21:44

It did make me wonder though - did the designers of the DFW IRL never actually sit in the cockpit while they were creating it? The forward vision of the pilot is almost entirely blocked by the engine and radiator placement - it must have taken a particularly gutsy pilot to climb in that bird and try to take off (or especially to try to land it). I did get a comfortable feeling that I probably wouldn't be too vulnerable to bullets from a head-on attack, however - lots of protection up front to stop those bullets :lol:

The sight of all those little bombs dropping away was really awesome though - really gonna enjoy flying this new bird. :D

That's what I said when we were testing it - unbelievably poor forward vision.

Jorri & I were discussing that it's little wonder that in German planes the observer/gunner was the plane commander - the pilot couldn't command as he can't see where he's going anyway!! :)

#68 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 March 2011 - 21:46

I think that changed eventually though? Not sure actually, earlier I saw a profile of a plane with a Gefreiter as the pilot and a Vizefeldwebel as the Observer and similar situations with Gothas so maybe it never did change.

#69 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 26 March 2011 - 21:59

I think German pilots had to have flown in a 2-Seater squadron before they could transfer to a fighter squadron - so I'd guess the pilots were often lower ranked and fairly inexperienced and the observers were the continuity of the squadrons and therefore made sense to command as they had the experience and knowledge to do the job.

Did this change later in the war as well Imp? I'm no expert on the Central air forces.

#70 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 March 2011 - 22:13

That sounds sensible but I am not sure myself. Degelow was already Leutnant der Reserve when he became a pilot with a recon unit. And his observer was also Leutnant so when they were out on patrol the comand situation was tricky :D

I don'T have much general knowledge either, just about some things that caught my interest :D

#71 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 26 March 2011 - 22:20

What you have to remember is that (certainly in the RFC/RAF) you could join say as a Major (in the Army) and be drawing that pay but be treated at Squadron level as a 2nd Lieutenant to avoid inexperienced (in terms of flying/air combat) career officers joining and throwing their weight around- so it was probably similar in the German service.

Often people transferring took this hit in status to fly and join the Air Force.

Leutnant der Reserve is a 2nd Lieutenant isn't it? So a fairly junior officer rank.

#72 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 27 March 2011 - 00:03

Yes, a junior officer but it was a fairly senior rank for a pilot, the highest flying rank would be Hauptmann and they became more rare and rare towards the end of the war: (usually) only career officers would be promoted past Leutnant (der Reserve indicated that this soldier was promoted from the ranks to replenish the junior officer pool that suffered high casaulties during trench combat) so more and more squadron commanders towards the end were either just Oberleutnant or even just Leutnant even though the intended rank was Hauptmann (captain). Even the higher posts comanding a Jagdgruppe or even Jagdgeschwader were often filled below rank although I am not sure what that rank was, at least Major I suppose. MvR for example was Rittmeister (cavalry captain) when he commanded Jagdgeschwader 1 so he was in charge of 3 or 4 Jastas. Göring was still Oberleutnant when he took that post even though he was actually lacking rank to be a Jasta commander :)

Degelow still was Leutnant d.R. when he took command of Jasta 40s btw and he kept that rank till the end of the war :D

There were many NCO pilots in Jastas and even more in Schlastas and in 1918 more and more Gefreite would become fighter pilots so the rank structure differed quite a bit from the RFC/RAF system.

So basically once they became a pilot their promotion rate slowed down significantly or even came to a standstill. Maybe this was an administrative issue or oversight but there was a similar tendency in ww2 as well where officers would take posts not just in an acting capacity even though they were too low in rank.

This is quite offtopic btw :lol:

#73 Feen

Feen

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:28

Question: i have recently acquired ROF ICE edition but want to get a super bundle to fill out my options. do the purchased planes come on DVD, or as a download, or are they "unlocked" for availability? if they are a download, what size would say "super bundle 2" be plz? (the update took all day for my slow arse IP to D/L) could they be gotten on disc? my connect works great for Aces High … but seems i must upgrade my IP so i can fly ROF online.

#74 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:12

They are merely unlocked, all data/content you need is already present. YOu just have to log in online again after your purchase in case you are an offline pilot so your offline files can be updated with your new licences.

The update was only about 80mb iirc, seems odd it took so long.

#75 Josef_Reiter

Josef_Reiter

Posted 27 March 2011 - 14:55

I use TrackIR5 and my head movements are just like they would be in real life, so even looking down the iron sight on the left side of the cockpit is easy.

#76 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:36

Yes the DFW is one plane where I am extra glad to have trackir! And 6dof trackir at that!

#77 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 27 March 2011 - 16:54

What is 6DOF?, it comes with the trackIR 5 or you must buy apart?…

#78 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:25

What is 6DOF?, it comes with the trackIR 5 or you must buy apart?…

It's 6 degrees of Freedom (a feature of Track-ir and other head/face tracking software)- basically it moves the head in 3 dimensions( up and down and zoom) as well as turning it left and right

#79 adria

adria

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:41

777 Studios: i update my game and i don't have the DFW C.V!!!

it's only for buy…….Not for play. please send me a message.

I need download skins? and then i can play DFW C.V??? or..?

#80 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:44

777 Studios: i update my game and i don't have the DFW C.V!!!

it's only for buy…….Not for play. please send me a message.

I need download skins? and then i can play DFW C.V??? or..?

You need to buy it from the store on this website to fly it otherwise you can fly against it in single player or fly as a gunner in multiplayer.

Hope this helps - welcome to the game and the Forums! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users