Photo
- - - - -

Logitech g940 vs Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick and Thr

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 MiG-77

MiG-77

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:46

The most important feature IMHO in FFB joysticks is that centering force strenght depends on airspeed(atleast in G940. Also that automatically correct centering position in planes like SE5a so you dont need curves). So in near stall controls are very light and in diving stick feels very heavy. After you have used to it, there is no going back. Spring centered sticks just feel lifeless after that.

Also you can disable those "gamey" features like MG firing shake from the stick (I never use that one).

#42 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:26

Yes that is quite a good feeling MiG. I did like the centering force when I had it. However in a dive I don't want it to get heavy as that's when I want to shoot at my unsuspecting victim :)

Even on a FFB2, the SE5a is so extreme I still moved the centre position a little.

On the warthog this is what I use to get around the SE5a issue, it's still quite linear so it doesn't ruin my range of motion:

#43 MiG-77

MiG-77

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:49

Even on a FFB2, the SE5a is so extreme I still moved the centre position a little.

You can fly SE5a "hands off" (as long as that sensor what detecs is your hand on the stick is taped closed :)) in default curves with G940 :)

#44 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:29

You can fly hands off with the MS stick as it goes limp when you take your hand off and stays input as before! :)

#45 MiG-77

MiG-77

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:34

You can fly hands off with the MS stick as it goes limp when you take your hand off and stays input as before! :)

Not in G940. It centers itself in actual stick center position if no "hand" is detected.

#46 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:38

So on one it helps to cover the sensor and on the other it doesn't! :)

What I love about FFB in ROF is that it takes into account the distance in stick 'throw' for centre - i.e. the SE5a had more rearward (upward) movement than forward in real life so in ROF it centres the stick further forward to simulate this - with a spring stick it wouldn't do that hence why everyone has to adjust curves to stop it looping hands off with a spring stick.

God, as they say, is in the details.

#47 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:23

On the warthog this is what I use to get around the SE5a issue, it's still quite linear so it doesn't ruin my range of motion:

Taipan, unless I'm greatly mistaken, that curve you've got doesn't allow you to achieve maximum elevator deflection under any circumstances.

#48 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 07 April 2011 - 13:04

You are mistaken I think… I'm miles away from my ROF computer so I can't double check, but the way I set it up being fairly straight like that means I have "moved" the centre. So now when I push forward I get full elevator deflection before I have full warthog stick deflection.

I.e. I have full elevator deflection in both directions, just not full stick deflection. I'm willing to live with slightly less use of the warthog axis in order to keep things flat/linear.

#49 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 07 April 2011 - 13:18

Ah, I see. I'm accustomed to more intuitive curve systems in other sims. The one I'm thinking of had eleven points, and for each point you could set 0% to 100% deflection. Going with that system, having the final point be less than 100% would mean that full back stick would mean less than maximum elevator deflection. With that system, direct input (such as I use) would be 0%, 10%, 20%, etc.

#50 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 07 April 2011 - 13:22

Yeah that's how the Warthog programming scripts work too, for example I set a throttle curve so I get to 100% deflection as I hit the afterburner detent so I don't need to go through the detent in ROF.

But for a particular plane on the Y axis - in-game is better.

#51 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:19

The bottom left of the input curve is for forward stick deflection. Even if you did lose some amount of full deflection ability, I think full forward stick deflection is among the least needed input ranges. This is the input curve I used when I had an X-45:

That very non-linear bit at the bottom left never really mattered to me because I pretty much never use full forward stick.

And, as already mentioned, with the G940 you can just use the default curves and you will get neutral elevator in planes like the SE5a without having to apply forward pressure on the stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users