Photo
- - - - -

Machine gun optimal convergence ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JamesMcCudden

JamesMcCudden

Posted 19 March 2011 - 13:06

Starting to get the hang of my aicraft now,but was wondering what the best or optimal machine gun convergence was,I fly the SE5a btw,and at the moment I've got it set at 250 in my plane settings,is this about right?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated,thanks. 8-)

#2 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 19 March 2011 - 13:11

Everyone can have their own optimal convergence, but it doesnt matter that much apart from the SE5a. To figure out what it is, record a track and shoot at some planes. Replay the track with icons on and watch the average distance at which you begin shooting and set the convergence accordingly. Example, distance of 0.3 on the icon is 300m.

#3 Hubert

Hubert

Posted 19 March 2011 - 14:59

Hi James
I like flying the SE5a too. I've played about with the convergence quite a bit over the past 6-8 months and found 100 to be the best for me, you can still hit targets at range and get good bursts close up too.If you map a seperate key just for your vickers gun and use your ring and bead sight the gun fires to the sight for quite a way out and you wont worry about wasting your lewis gun ammunition. As Requiem says record your fights/practice sessions and watch them back to see were your aiming, were your shots are going and the average range at which you shoot, it really helps.Good luck.
S!! Hubert…

#4 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

Posted 19 March 2011 - 15:13

I asked about this a while back, and got lot's of mixed responses. I sort of came to the same conclusions as Requiem's post up above. Something someone else pointed out is that= If you shoot at someone within your convergence setting you're not necessarily going to miss because your bullets are hitting 3 feet apart instead of 1 foot. On the other hand if you shoot at someone beyond your convergence setting, the bullets will have already crossed and might be a little too far apart. So if anything it's better to be a little too long than a little too short. That's what she said..

#5 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:13

I use 500 as I never want the SE5 tracers to cross as it's easier to aim if they are not separating.

Also I find if I miss with one stream sometimes I can hit with the other :)

#6 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 19 March 2011 - 17:08

You know i find the guns are all centrally mounted and close together so it's basically an irrelevance for almost all planes except really the SE5a.

#7 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:27

lots of good advice !!

look at it this way - in il2 on some planes the guns are wing mounted
others, nose mounted, some, have a mix.

on wing mounted guns, convergence is important.
inside or outside of convergence you will probably still get hits , just not concentrated hits.

I dont know of any plane in Rise of Flight that has wing mounted guns.
most are mounted right in front of you.
setting your convergence at anything from 150 to infinity will get really good hits.

I set mine at 200 and wait till I can "see the whites of his eyes" to fire.
but - last eve on the SYN server, I had two DR1's chasing my SE5.
we were up at 10,000 feet, uh huh , nose bleed country.
its been said the DR1 can out climb the SE5, ok ! but I was setting a trap for them.
run and climb, the SE 'can' out climb the DR1.
some people will argue the point, lol, but Ive done it many times.
Ive also had it done TOO me when Im in a DR1.(eh! Taipan)
I came back in above them, took a snap shot at one from extreme range, flame on !
I did the same routine with the second one, he was good though, and I ended up leaving him and going home.

before that engagement I shot a Pfalz down in flames "off" another SE5's six from point blank range.

the point of this -
convergence is important !
accuracy is more important !!

;)

#8 JamesMcCudden

JamesMcCudden

Posted 19 March 2011 - 23:24

Hey thanks guys,this is all good reading and I'm taking all the advice I can get.I really appreciate all your help.

#9 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:01

Don't forget the convergence also has a vertical element to it also, so, whatever actual convergence you set, you will still benefit from taking a few moments to follows Req's sight-zeroing tip video.

#10 catchov

catchov

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:29

So if anything it's better to be a little too long than a little too short. That's what she said..

Well she would wouldn't she :roll: What's that got to do with convergence :lol: I think I might extend mine actually. 150 doesn't seem to cut it according to the experienced chaps :D

#11 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:47

If you map a seperate key just for your vickers gun and use your ring and bead sight the gun fires to the sight for quite a way out and you wont worry about wasting your lewis gun ammunition.

Keep in mind that the "Lewis" gun is exactly the same as the Vickers so far as the game is concerned.

Historically, it seems that the over-wing Lewis gun was less susceptible to vibrations than the fuselage mounted Vickers, and so its dispersion at range was much more compact.

#12 harryriedl

harryriedl

Posted 25 June 2011 - 17:29

Don't forget the convergence also has a vertical element to it also, so, whatever actual convergence you set, you will still benefit from taking a few moments to follows Req's sight-zeroing tip video.
Being new to the game could you link it especially useful for me to figure out how the Aldis sight should look when flying

#13 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 11 July 2011 - 22:25

Req's videos are here…

http://www.youtube.c...Requiem10NS#p/p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.c...Requiem10NS#p/p

…and the sight seroing is in the basic flight section, though I'm unsure if he has updated it to take into consideration the release of the Aldis type and collimater type gunsights.

#14 Cobra6

Cobra6

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:56

I tend to set all my convergences to 70/73 meters, works best in my opinion.

Cobra 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users