- - - - -

Observations of the DR1: from a Camel junkie

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:15

http

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:22

The trick is catching the camel. You are right it is for sure a great ambusher as thats the only option you have in most cases. I find once I join a fight I have to win to get away, which I am certain was the case IRL.

Either way both planes are very fun and when you play with them both sometimes gives you some perspective. Let us pray this thread does not turn into another Winger Vs Jaydolan yelling match :)

#3 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:25

cool video. like the music.

#4 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:27

Heh Heh !!
I watched dogfights on the history channel again today.
they had the WW 1 engagements on it today.

specifically the one where Werner Voss took on 8 SE5's single handed in a DR1.
for those that dont know the story .. he lost.

by the way, good video Newguy.

Camel hunters are a breed apart, we fly the DR1 Triplane.
Who else can call them self a camel hunter ?

#5 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 01 March 2011 - 14:16

Reason why Voss took them on single handedly is…After he attacked the first plane and the others joined, his DR1 had no way to escape. Yes he lost.

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 March 2011 - 14:46

The trick is catching the camel. You are right it is for sure a great ambusher as thats the only option you have in most cases. I find once I join a fight I have to win to get away, which I am certain was the case IRL.

Tom Cundall says that the Dr1 could climb away from a fight. This claim is based on all of the RFC combat reports he reads for his graduate studies. It also climbs pretty well in the game, but it's not going to climb away from a Spad or SE5.

#7 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 01 March 2011 - 15:26

I agree, Climb is only going to get you so far. Its a quick escape but if a person flying a faster plane like your examples SE5 and spad its only a temporary escape till they reach your altitude and run you down. Thats my opinion why Voss really had no out once he committed.

#8 Surfimp

Surfimp
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA, USA

Posted 18 March 2011 - 19:24

I can't wait for the day when a Dr.1 runs away from my SPAD… it has never, ever happened so far, I always get a hard turn followed by a HO attack :lol:

Founding Member, SPADaholics Anonymous

#9 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 18 March 2011 - 19:30

A DR1 will never outrun a spad. Your best bet is to do exactly what you said. If you cant get away you have to attack. According to Dicta Beolke(sp?) When attacked from the rear or above turn into your attacker. That is what the DR1 excels since it cant get away :D.

#10 Surfimp

Surfimp

Posted 18 March 2011 - 19:32

I know I find it tremendously aggravating though I certainly don't begrudge them their tactics :)

And of course once my gunnery improves there won't be anyone left alive in the cockpit to turn the Dr.1 around ;)

#11 Huetz

Huetz

Posted 18 March 2011 - 19:39

I have not tried the DR1 in quite awhile. Dr1 pilots are urging me and other
3)I prefer the DR1 with full fuel, at the moment. She is not as unstable, as when she has low fuel.
4)The Spandau mg is a devastating mg, for my purposes, as an ambusher. The Camel is obliterated, by a close in wing shot. To down a DR1, I am now using equally point blank attacks, but the DR1 requires that I flame her, whereas I can rip the wing of a Camel apart, in one burst and call the fight over.

3.) For the record: Basically anything at or above 30% will keep her stable.

4.) I tend to disagree on this. Its the same for all planes: each has it's unique weak spot (unless maybe the D.VIII, I don't know where to shoot that thing). If you feel you're going to miss your bounce try to at least put rounds into the upper wing section right outside of the topwing strut. Any rapid evasive manouver will most likely cause structural failure and from there on it's a piece of cake. It may sound weird and contradicting to the meat-or-metal dogma but is a very nice way to finish a bounce that is not going in your favor.

#12 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 18 March 2011 - 19:44

I know I find it tremendously aggravating though I certainly don't begrudge them their tactics :)

And of course once my gunnery improves there won't be anyone left alive in the cockpit to turn the Dr.1 around ;)

Thats the way to think! :x if you perforate them on your first pass like you said, you dont have to worry.

#13 Surfimp

Surfimp

Posted 21 March 2011 - 15:59

There are many feelings in life, but there are none quite like diving onto your opponent's tail and filling their cockpit with hot lead before they've even realized you're there :mad: :D

#14 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:36

I can tell you what its like to be on the receiving end :)

#15 LambrettaSX150

LambrettaSX150

Posted 21 March 2011 - 21:04

I struggle with the DR1, I have to maintain large forward pressure on the stick to stop it entering a steep climb, level flight is only achieved by large forward stick pressure. What am I doing wrong? cheers

#16 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 21 March 2011 - 21:17

I struggle with the DR1, I have to maintain large forward pressure on the stick to stop it entering a steep climb, level flight is only achieved by large forward stick pressure. What am I doing wrong? cheers

You can go to your "responses" tab in "settings" in-game. Click on "pitch", and change the diagonal line so instead of crossing at the origin (0,0) it crosses the y-axis at -30 (0, -30) or so. Then it will be less prone to nose up at full power.

#17 LambrettaSX150

LambrettaSX150

Posted 26 March 2011 - 18:20

Thk you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users