- - - - -

Jasta 15 (GER) Squadron History

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 25 February 2011 - 17:55

Hello friends. Please assist in writing ENGLISH text of history of the squadron which will be available to player in the first release of the New Career.
It should contains more than 2500 symbols (no upper limit), and it should describe WHOLE history of the squadron - from fundation till it's history end (amy be even till modern days, like for USAF 94th Aero Squadron for example).
Any additional facts and remarks are appreciated.

So please discuss and post your texts here for Jasta 15 German squadron

#2 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 26 February 2011 - 20:42

From – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasta_15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasta_15

Jasta 15

Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 15, commonly abbreviated to Jasta 15, was a World War I "hunting group" (i.e., fighter squadron) of the Luftstreitkräfte, which was the forerunner to the Luftwaffe.

Jasta 15 would score over 150 aerial victories during the Great War, at the expense of seven killed in action, two killed in flying accidents, three wounded in action, one injured in a flying accident, and two taken prisoner of war.

The "jasta" was formed on 28 September 1916 at Bixhiem, from Kampfeinsitzer Kommando Habsheim, FFA 48 and FFA 68. It mobilized on 9 October 1916. During this time, the squadron flew Fokker D.IIs and Fokker D.IIIs. The jasta then moved to Habsheim 6 November 1916.

In 1917, it operated Albatros D.IIIs and Albatros D.Vs. It then used Fokker Dr.I triplanes and some Siemens-Schuckert D.IIIs. During this time, the jasta flew from aerodromes in Le Selve, Le Clos Ferme and Cambrai. While in 1918, they flew from over a dozen different airfields in support of 18 Armee and 5th Armee. Their final mount was the Fokker D.VII.

On 26 April 1917, Heinrich Gontermann, ace with 39 kills (PourLeMerite) brought his kill tally to 17 victories; and was also made Staffelführer of Prussian Jasta 15 the same day. He replaced Max Reinhold, who was killed in action.

By the summer of 1918, the jasta's aircraft markings had settled to royal blue fuselage and tail, brown rudders, and red noses extending back as far as the cockpit.

Jasta 15 became part of Jagdgeschwader 2 under Adolf Tutschek at Autremencourt in February 1918. On 19 March 1918, Rudolf Berthold took command of JG 2 when Tutschek was killed; he arranged a swap of Jasta 15's personnel with those of Jasta 18, so that Berthold could continue to command those with whom he was familiar.

Josef Veltjens rose to command Jasta 15 on 18 May, on the same day he scored his 13th victory. He was appointed to replace an officer suspected of conspiring to have the wounded Berthold removed as JG II commander. May also saw Veltjens awarded the Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern on the 20th, as well as the First Class Iron Cross.

A number of notable aces served in the unit during its brief existence, including the following: Georg von Hantelmann, Johannes Klein, Olivier Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay, Gustav Klaudat, Heinrich Arntzen, Ernst Udet, Hans Müller, and Arthur Rahn.

The squadron demobilized in November 1918 at FEA 14 in Halle an der Saale, Germany.

(Edits added in RED)

#3 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 26 February 2011 - 21:35

From – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasta_15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasta_15

Jasta 15

A number of notable aces served in the unit during its brief existence, including the following: Georg von Hantelmann, Johannes Klein, Olivier Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay, Gustav Klaudat, Heinrich Arntzen, Ernst Udet, Hans Müller, and Arthur Rahn.

The squadron demobilized in November 1918 at FEA 14 in Halle an der Saale, Germany.

Tss tss tss..Wikipedia.
You forgot Heinrich Gontermann, ace with 39 kills (PourLeMerite) and leader of Jasta 15 from April till October 1917

#4 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 26 February 2011 - 21:38

…yes, yes, I know. :oops:

Nobody has added anything…so I did.

Please, feel free to add anything you feel is significant. I'm just getting the ball rolling here as I want the new carreer mode to be ready!

I don't want to wait any longer than I have to. Do you? :D

I'm actually quite suprised how many are so quick to complain about things, yet are so slow moving to do anything about it….. :o :cry:

#5 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 26 February 2011 - 21:42

;)

#6 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 26 February 2011 - 21:48

Added…

from – http://en.wikipedia....rich_Gontermann" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....rich_Gontermann

On 26 April 1917, he brought his kill tally to 17 victories; he was also made Staffelführer of Prussian Jasta 15 the same day. He replaced Max Reinhold, who was killed in action.

changing "he" to "Heinrich Gontermann, ace with 39 kills (PourLeMerite)"

Thanks DerMo!

#7 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 27 February 2011 - 19:58

Great! Thanks for finding and correcting.

Completed, thread unstickied.

Any additional details may be added / corrected.

#8 Bravo22

Bravo22

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:09

Jasta 15 (Royal Prussian)
Formed from KEK Habsheim at Bixheim, Army Detachment Area "B" from FFA48 and 68, on 28 September 1916, under the command of Oberleutnant Herman Kropp, from 9 October. Operational on the 10th, it moved back to Habsheim on 6 November, Oberleutnant Max Reinhold taking over on 8 November, until he was mortally wounded in action on 26 April 1917.

By 1917 it was flying Albratros DIII's later DV's. Also operated with Fokker DrI's and in mid-1918 some Siemens-Schuckert DIII's until re-equipped with Fokker DVII's. In the summer of 1918 its aircraft generally had dark blue fuselages and tail surfaces, with red noses back as far as the cockpit area, and brown rudders.

Leutnant Heinrich Gontermann commanded between 5 May 1917 and his date of death in a crash - 30 October, was when Leutnant von Budde took over. Jasta 15 became part of Jagdgeschwader II under Tutschek at the beginning of February 1918, at Autremencourt, along with Jasta 12, 13, and 19. Tutschek was killed in March, Rudolf Berthold being given command as a result.

Such was Berthold’s influence that he managed to exchange Jasta 15’s personnel with Jasta 18 on March 19 at Guise aerodrome, in order for Berthold to have his old unit personnel in the Geschwader.

From 15 March 1918 the CO’s were: Ltn August Raben (to 20 March), Oblt Ernst Turck (till 18 May), Lt Joseph Veltjens (till 13 August), and Ltn Oliver von Beaulieu-Marconnay (acting – till 22 August), when Lt Joseph Veltjens again commanded till the war’s end.

Operated from La Seive, Le Clos Ferme and Cambrai for most of 1917 and then from more than a dozen bases in 1918, mainly on the 18 Armee front, later in the 5 Armee sector. Demobilized at FEA 14, Halle an der Salle, in November 1918.

Claimed at least 150 Allied aircraft confirmed plus those which the Jagdgeschwader Nr.II commander might have given it, after March 1918. Losses amounted to seven killed in action, two killed and one injured in accidents, two taken prisoner plus three wounded.

Information from the book, ABOVE THE LINES by Norman L.R.FRANKS, Frank W. BAILEY & Russell GUEST.

#9 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:31

I would like to add that Jasta 15 only became the squadron with the Blue/Red 'Berthold' markings on the 20th of March 1918, that is the date that they swapped personnel with Jasta 18, previous to that between August 1917-March 1918, Jasta 18 was the Blue/Red squadron.

The 'Berthold Colours' also never had any brown that I am aware of.

Hopefully when Jasta 18 is also added we can have this interesting cross-over happen in our game :)

#10 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:46

Perhaps Jasta 18/15 could remain the same squadron (no transfer in-game) but it is simply renamed on march 20, like it happens with RNAS 8?

#11 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:59

I would think that would be ok provided that Jasta 15 is in it's historical locations, and it's default skin changed. What i am guessing in-game can be done is that on the 20th March 1918 Jasta 15 gets re-named Jasta 18 and Jasta 18 –> 15, both squadrons transfer aerodromes and bing! Done.

Jasta 18 then has to get the Red/White 'Raben' colours. Then it's all done neat and tidy.

Anyhow as long as in the future Jasta 15 only becomes the Blue/Red squadron on the 20th of March then this little error will be fixed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users